$24B law extends jobless benefits - Hawaii Business

Full story: Honolulu Star-Bulletin

WASHINGTON>> President Barack Obama signed a $24 billion economic stimulus bill into law yesterday that provides another 14 weeks of benefits to all out-of-work people who have exhausted their benefits.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 5 of5
Ted Felter

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2009

Judged:

I sure hope that when my time comes and I'm unemployed I get up to 73 weeks of unemployment. I know times can be tough, but it is hard to imagine not being able to find ANY job after a year. I'm wondering if the benefits are actually keeping people from even looking.

Since: Oct 08

Kailua, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2009

Judged:

There are many factors to this though... Sure you can find a job, but maybe one that only pays 1/3 as much and doesn't provided benefits for your wife and kids. but no, you'd be over qualified, and some college kid will take it.
Koa

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2009

Judged:

Where are the comments?
arm

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2009

Judged:

because of delaying by the republicans it meant over 200000 lost their unemployment benefits by the time the legislation passed....
Eddie FLores Sux

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2009

Kamuela,
While I understand where you're comments are coming from, isn't it better to get a job, any job rather than "live on welfare"?
That's the problem with a welfare state, where welfare is better than working. Hawaii is the ULTIMATE welfare state in the US, where I've seen people get paid almost $3000 in unemployment benefits in a month! That's not even including food stamps, etc. that makes it so lucrative to just sit on the coach, drink beer and do nothing.
On top of that, the Unemployment Fund gets depleted, the employers left standing have to pay through their noses next year, and the vicious cycle continues.
Cut out the welfare, or at least make it a little more difficult to qualify for the unemployment payouts and you'll see more people out there trying to get a job!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 5 of5
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

25 Users are viewing the Honolulu Forum right now

Search the Honolulu Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Qantas A388 near Honolulu on Apr 18th 2014, fue... 32 min Trigger 3
OBAMA COUNTDOWN for DAYS LEFT In Office UNTIL N... 3 hr Go Blue Forever 802
Teen suspended for asking Miss America to Prom 4 hr No Rights 4 Fruit Boy 2
Hawaii Emerges as a Rising Star in Education Re... 4 hr U know Fruit Boy 10
Cops and hookers 5 hr District 1 5
GAY Was ALways OK 6 hr District 1 5
Woman Says She Knew Obama in High School as a H... 8 hr Guru 35
•••
•••