UH ocean project involves nuclear sub...

UH ocean project involves nuclear subatomic particles - Hawaii ...

There are 12 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Aug 24, 2009, titled UH ocean project involves nuclear subatomic particles - Hawaii .... In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

The University of Hawaii physics department is taking the lead in development of a deep-ocean detector to study ghostly subatomic particles coming from nuclear reactors and radioactive decay in the earth.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

redokole

Columbus, OH

#1 Aug 24, 2009
10,000 tons of scintillator oil?

make one kine mess if leak? hoo bah, wtf? an nuklear stuffs to boot? make no sense 2 me. keep da'islans free of dis stuff.
Moki

Ewa Beach, HI

#2 Aug 24, 2009
Go develop cheap energy. Get off oil.
syzygy

Wahiawa, HI

#3 Aug 24, 2009
It's a good thing that there are never any accidents in the ocean...
mayo420

Severna Park, MD

#4 Aug 24, 2009
Think of all the diaper rashes that will go untreated.
Weapons Research

Washington, DC

#5 Aug 24, 2009
This is a shibai for weapons research out of the pentagon, don't kid yourself. It is also a way to detect nuclear submarines and such. UH is going after DoD money with this one. Do the research. The bonus is, if it is a failure, at least we can keep our dishes clean with all that diswasher detergent.
Recycling is the future

Honolulu, HI

#6 Aug 24, 2009
Based on the comments, once again Hawaii has impressed me with its clear understanding of science and the ability to read science oriented articles.
Go-go Aloha!!

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#7 Aug 24, 2009
It's sound and will provide insight on sub-atomic particles. If it gets DoD financing, what's wrong with that? Hawaii has partly relied on military presence.

I do agree though, there are some idiots commenting here. I'm suprised they didn't argue that now hawaii won't be getting their dishes washed because of this project.
Michael in Kaneohe

Honolulu, HI

#8 Aug 24, 2009
Scintillate means to give off light when a particle hits it. The scintllating oil here is BABY OIL! Imagine if there is a leak near the beach...all the girls have to do is go in the water to get oiled up. Which leave us guys out of a job. So sad, too bad.

Seriously, this instrument is just 10 thousand tons of steel, light detection and data recording instrumentation and baby oil and soap. Stating that it's 10 kilotons brings up visions of The Bomb, but in this case, just tells us how heavy the thing is (like saying a 2 ton pickup).

Besides detecting neutrinos from reactors and nuclear blasts, it will also detect neutrinos from our sun and other stars, yielding a wealth of information about solar processes.
Realist

Waianae, HI

#9 Aug 25, 2009
syzygy wrote:
It's a good thing that there are never any accidents in the ocean...
With the technology, I'm sure they can tell who did it.

(ho-feeling kinda loose ....go further out yeah?)
How Small Is It

Mililani, HI

#10 Aug 25, 2009
Realist wrote:
<quoted text>
With the technology, I'm sure they can tell who did it.
(ho-feeling kinda loose ....go further out yeah?)
One neutrino would probably be enough to take out your brain.
Coldplazma

Honolulu, HI

#11 Aug 25, 2009
This technology can be applied someday to determine if a country is using nuclear technology for peaceful energy production or for creating weapons. So it can only aid in controlling the spread of nuclear weapons. Which is ethical and well worth spending of our defense dollars on such a project. Fears of environmental side effects from such a project are unfounded and based on images of a crude oil tanker which this project does not even come close to reproducing. The primary goal of this project is to have a greater understanding of our universe. There is no conspiracy, or environmental threat here.
Realist

Waianae, HI

#12 Aug 25, 2009
How Small Is It wrote:
<quoted text>One neutrino would probably be enough to take out your brain.
You don't even know what a neutrino is.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Honolulu Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Dogs in Hawaii Grocery Stores, in Carts-NoHeal... 5 hr Joe Balls 13
Handsome Men of Hawaii (Mar '08) 17 hr Joe Balls 151
Bwa ha ha ha (Feb '16) 20 hr Eli 15
Preacher Jim (Feb '11) Aug 23 Snore 4 481
Poll Alice has worms. (Apr '10) Aug 23 Stork Bird 4 268
News Micronesian in Hawaii (Aug '11) Aug 23 HbH 556
News Senate panel OKs a shorter extension for rail tax (Mar '15) Aug 23 HbH 9

Honolulu Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance