Homeless shelters see 22% increase in...

Homeless shelters see 22% increase in clients - News

There are 115 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Nov 18, 2008, titled Homeless shelters see 22% increase in clients - News. In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

The number of homeless people staying in Hawaii shelters jumped 22 percent to 6,733 people between the 2005 and 2007 fiscal years, a study being released today shows.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
StateTaxPayer

AOL

#1 Nov 18, 2008
Our federal, state, and local governments love poor people. They are creating a bunch of them, more in the future. I may even be one of them in the coming years. We elected fools to run our governments.
Earl

United States

#2 Nov 18, 2008
If the economy does not improve soon we all will be living in homeless shelters ! Or maybe Fema internment camps if violence erupts , when there is no affortable food and lots of hungry and homeless people the government will want to control people to keep them from rioting !
kapaa

Lihue, HI

#3 Nov 18, 2008
is it homeless or jobless?
FED UP

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#4 Nov 18, 2008
Earl wrote:
If the economy does not improve soon we all will be living in homeless shelters ! Or maybe Fema internment camps if violence erupts , when there is no affortable food and lots of hungry and homeless people the government will want to control people to keep them from rioting !
Well maybe the D-A-M mainland shelters should stop sending alot of these homeless people here to Hawaii, they come here thinking that they can live off the land (they been watching too much cartoons) and they come here during their winter season and return to the mainland during the summer going back and forth all year long while we that tax payers are paying for their vactions(free airline tickets) because it's cheaper to buy a $500.00 ticket ( Once a year)than having to pay a homeless person food and care which comes out about $450.00 amonth so we in hawaii have less money for the local familys that really need the help, try look around the homeless shelters and streets you see alot more non locals homeless people walking around, as for the homless people on the beaches well alot of them have been given chances to live at the shelter and they have turn them down, some say because "Too many rules" like no drugs or drinking and alot of the large familys living on the beach dont want to listen to other people telling them want they cant or can do at the shelter so they just leave.

I agree with what your saying but what are you going to do with problems like these?
FED UP

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#6 Nov 18, 2008
kapaa wrote:
is it homeless or jobless?
It's not jobless, there's alot work for people here if you just look around, trust me I know I have was laid off work afew years ago and found work at a temp work agency durning the day but the problem is that alot of these people are just lazy and want big bucks for doing nothing but sitting on their backside all day drinking beer.
Old Hawaiian

United States

#7 Nov 18, 2008
Often, the causes are financial problems as a "result" of family conflict "and" substance abuse. Not singly.
alice

Honolulu, HI

#8 Nov 18, 2008
very sad but this is lignle's legacy: a growing army of homeless
FED UP

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#10 Nov 18, 2008
alice wrote:
It's not "Lingnle's Legacy" she didn't cause it, she already walked into this mess which is caused by "Drug Abuse" and "Rising Crime" and "Homeless People"....jezz alice wake up and drink some coffee!
Leeward Lolo

Elgin, IL

#11 Nov 18, 2008
Just look around the shelters and you will see an army of non-locals wandering around. From what appear to be Katrina victims to micronesians.
All the homeless from the beaches are just pushed from park to park as micros go to the front of the line for all freebies. Feds allow them to set up residence but Hawaii state taxpayers are saddled with supporting them. Check it out.

One day Hawaii has to wise up and put a stop to this nonsense as our state is sinking fast.
Leeward Lolo

Elgin, IL

#12 Nov 18, 2008
FED UP wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not jobless, there's alot work for people here if you just look around, trust me I know I have was laid off work afew years ago and found work at a temp work agency durning the day but the problem is that alot of these people are just lazy and want big bucks for doing nothing but sitting on their backside all day drinking beer.
Want it and get it. Buy their food at 7-11 instead of shopping for bargains like the rest of us.

There was a big party over the weekend at the Waianae shelter, nice tablecloths and fancy dresses. Probably the first of their holiday season celebrations. Truly heart warming isn't it.
Snuggles the Cat

Honolulu, HI

#13 Nov 18, 2008
Let’s stop the myth that mainland shelters are sending the homeless to Hawaii, its jiust not happening. Both the Institute for Human Services and the State of Hawaii’s Homeless Services branch had publicly said so. The statistics show that about 50% of the homeless are lifetime or long time (more than 20 years) residents of Hawaii, and recent arrivals (less than 2 years residency) account of about 20% of the homeless population. Yes the facts are the homeless situation in Hawaii is largely homegrown. The homeless vs. jobless issue is interesting in that in Hawaii, they are not mutually exclusive. There are a surprising number of families with one or more adults employed who are none the less homeless due mostly to insufficient income to pay rent. Although rents have moderated in recent months, many working homeless have reported decreases in hours worked or is some cases outright layoffs. Finally the shopping at 7-11 remark is amazing funny, do you really expect guys living in tents to shop at Costco? They shop at 7-11 because they are poor, the cannot afford the 10 pound bag of frozen chicken (much less store them) so they take the tip money they got that day and buy a manapua or a bento. That’s why when you go to lower income neighborhoods not only in Hawaii but on the mainland you see guys spending $0.75 on a single roll of toilet paper (they cannot afford to buy the four pack). Poverty sucks and when you are poor you do things that may not make sense to others who have more resources. I am not saying that the homeless are not responsible for thier own situation, because in many cases they are, I'm just saying to reach a solution, we need to get a better understanding of the problem.
not alices friend

Honolulu, HI

#15 Nov 18, 2008
alice wrote:
Her name is Lingle not lignle. My dear please put your education to work and at least learn to spell because it's obvious you don't reason very well.
work for nothing

Ashburn, VA

#16 Nov 18, 2008
They
get up every morning with the alarm clock's warning take the 8:15 into the city
There's a whistle up above and people push and people shove and the
girls, who are tryin' to look pretty. And if your
train's on time you can get to work by nine and
start to sleep and talk to get your pay If you
ever get annoyed, look at me, I'm self-employed,
I love to work at nothing all day. And I've been
takin' care of business, every day taking care of business, every way
TCOB, it's all mine TCOB, & workin' overtime, workout
There's work
easy as fishin', you can be a musician if
you could make sounds loud and mellow Get a
second hand guitar and chances are you can go far if you
get in with the right bunch of fellows People
see you having fun just a- lying in the sun, and
tell them that you like it this way. It's the
work that we avoid and we're all self-employed We
love to work at nothin' all day. And we've been
TCOB every day TCOB every way
working for a living is simply not worth it.
taxes, food , medical ins ect ect..
let the state pay for it.
listen loud and clear ---
WORKING IS NOT WORTH THE TROUBLE.
I work at nothing all day..
Good luck dummys
MicroStudent

Honolulu, HI

#17 Nov 18, 2008
FED UP wrote:
<quoted text>
Well maybe the D-A-M mainland shelters should stop sending alot of these homeless people here to Hawaii.
If you have been going around the island and observing all these homeless people year after year, what this study doesn't reveal is the fact that the highest growth rate of homeless people in Hawaii has been amongst the ... MICRONESIANS!
August

Portland, OR

#19 Nov 18, 2008
If a housed person has a beer after work, relaxing; if a homeless person has a beer after a long day at a day labor job, substance abuse! INSANE plus taxpayer funded $10,000 detox and lifelong treatment only to have the day labor guy have another beer after work, AGain!! GET OFF THIS SUBSTANCE ABUSE NONSENSE AND GET THESE PEOPLE HOUSED AND EMPLOYED.
tired of micros

Honolulu, HI

#20 Nov 18, 2008
MicroStudent wrote:
<quoted text>
If you have been going around the island and observing all these homeless people year after year, what this study doesn't reveal is the fact that the highest growth rate of homeless people in Hawaii has been amongst the ... MICRONESIANS!
Mufi send them back!! what you mean no? you're brining more Samoans too
OH I see more homeless more jobs for the City and State to handle-good move Gov, I mean Congressman, I mean Senator..I mean...I don't know what I men
alice

Honolulu, HI

#21 Nov 18, 2008
snuggles is right. Look, Micros may be homeless but 345 of the homeless are natives and 30% are haole. That is 2/3 of the total problem. Micros are very bitter about the special money and priledges natives get and iot causes violence against the natives. Scary times as under Lingle, the economy will get much worse.
Leeward Lolo

Elgin, IL

#22 Nov 18, 2008
Snuggles the Cat wrote:
Let’s stop the myth that mainland shelters are sending the homeless to Hawaii, its jiust not happening. Both the Institute for Human Services and the State of Hawaii’s Homeless Services branch had publicly said so. The statistics show that about 50% of the homeless are lifetime or long time (more than 20 years) residents of Hawaii, and recent arrivals (less than 2 years residency) account of about 20% of the homeless population. Yes the facts are the homeless situation in Hawaii is largely homegrown. The homeless vs. jobless issue is interesting in that in Hawaii, they are not mutually exclusive. There are a surprising number of families with one or more adults employed who are none the less homeless due mostly to insufficient income to pay rent. Although rents have moderated in recent months, many working homeless have reported decreases in hours worked or is some cases outright layoffs. Finally the shopping at 7-11 remark is amazing funny, do you really expect guys living in tents to shop at Costco? They shop at 7-11 because they are poor, the cannot afford the 10 pound bag of frozen chicken (much less store them) so they take the tip money they got that day and buy a manapua or a bento. That’s why when you go to lower income neighborhoods not only in Hawaii but on the mainland you see guys spending $0.75 on a single roll of toilet paper (they cannot afford to buy the four pack). Poverty sucks and when you are poor you do things that may not make sense to others who have more resources. I am not saying that the homeless are not responsible for thier own situation, because in many cases they are, I'm just saying to reach a solution, we need to get a better understanding of the problem.
Why don't you admit the FRAUD that is going on. I am not talking about the psycho buying one beer at 7-11. I often see women with kids buying lunches, flavored water and ice tea, cut up fruit, cheese fluffies, protein drinks and candy for the kids and out comes the food stamp or whatever it is called now card. They have usually stuffed their fat selves into beach clothes and are headed off to the beach. The male of the group waits in the car during the shopping spree and then off they go for a fun day of sitting at the beach and stuffing themselves with goodies provided free to them. Maybe you think this is "amazingly funny" but I see it day after day and view it as not one bit funny.

Also somebody who posts here saw one evening a bus load of people dropped off at McDonalds described as looking like hurricane refugees who were wandering around in a trance and had no idea what to do next. So do not say that they are not sent here from other places.
Is it not true that the micronesians go to the front of the line for section 8? Is it not true that federal funds for their care are not usable here in Hawaii so here is another group supported by Hawaii taxpayers?? Of course they are not homeless as the govt bends over backwards to care for them. And Yes I know why but why should Hawaii taxpayers be responsible for them. And I do not think they have the capability to hold down jobs of any sort.
Leeward Lolo

Elgin, IL

#24 Nov 18, 2008
work for nothing wrote:
They
get up every morning with the alarm clock's warning take the 8:15 into the city
There's a whistle up above and people push and people shove and the
girls, who are tryin' to look pretty. And if your
train's on time you can get to work by nine and
start to sleep and talk to get your pay If you
ever get annoyed, look at me, I'm self-employed,
I love to work at nothing all day. And I've been
takin' care of business, every day taking care of business, every way
TCOB, it's all mine TCOB, & workin' overtime, workout
There's work
easy as fishin', you can be a musician if
you could make sounds loud and mellow Get a
second hand guitar and chances are you can go far if you
get in with the right bunch of fellows People
see you having fun just a- lying in the sun, and
tell them that you like it this way. It's the
work that we avoid and we're all self-employed We
love to work at nothin' all day. And we've been
TCOB every day TCOB every way
working for a living is simply not worth it.
taxes, food , medical ins ect ect..
let the state pay for it.
listen loud and clear ---
WORKING IS NOT WORTH THE TROUBLE.
I work at nothing all day..
Good luck dummys
Are you the guy who sits in the beater car while the female collects the handouts and charity because you have shame?

Are you toasty and comfy these nights with chill, rain and wind. Not as great as you say is it.
alice

Honolulu, HI

#25 Nov 18, 2008
I meant to say that studeis show that 345 of homeless are natives/part native and 30% are haole. That is 2/3 of the total. Micros smashing the natives around town are just bitter that hawaiians get special racial priveleges. It is wrong but in bad times, things like this happen.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Honolulu Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Last Post Wins (Apr '11) 23 min BotoBird 3,194
What Hawaii is really like. (Jan '08) 4 hr Jack 676
Joe BALLS Has Always Been A Big Fat LIAR (Jul '15) Sat Harry 16
Trump or Hillary Sat Leeward Outlier 59
UK maybe Hawaii next Jun 24 Joe Balls 2
DISTRICT 1 Finally Admits TO Being A RACE BAITER (Mar '14) Jun 23 BarfBird 189
Preacher Jim (Feb '11) Jun 23 Burp 4 472
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Honolulu Mortgages