Let's roll on bikeways - Editorials

Today is the 15th annual national Bike to Work Day, but too many bicycles will remain idle in Honolulu because some accommodating projects that were part of a 20-year plan a decade ago were not completed. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Brad White

Aiea, HI

#1 May 14, 2009
I would love to ride my bike here on Oahu.. but it is too dangerous. We lived in Holland for 2 years and we rode everyday. They had beautiful bike paths, and EVERYONE has a bike. You see Grandparents and children riding safely on the isolated bike paths. It would be a dream to see Hawaii like that. I am 60 and I want to ride my bike!! Wish I could.

“Too small to notice”

Since: Jun 08

Kahuku , Ka'U

#2 May 14, 2009
The reason that bikes got popular was high gas prices. Fuel in Holland is pretty wxpensive.

The oil companies have been making record profits while everyone else has been sliding down the tube.
Petroleum providers have a right to price their product so as to produce maximum profit, too bad that calculation includes keeping competitive technologies from getting a foothold.
flexo

Honolulu, HI

#3 May 14, 2009
Bicyclists on roadways are a hazard and an accident waiting to happen. They are confrontational and arrogant, refusing to obey the traffic laws that the cars around them are obeying. I have no pity for those who get hurt when acting like that.
manini

Honolulu, HI

#4 May 14, 2009
Great, maybe we can use the 3 cents fuel tax increase now facing us, or would the SB advocate for yet another tax increase to fund these bikeways. It all comes with a price.
Pat

Honolulu, HI

#5 May 14, 2009
What an more appealing transportation idea complimenting the beauty of the aina rather than destroying aina with the proposed rail.
Twowheeler

Honolulu, HI

#6 May 14, 2009
A writer in your competitor's paper today shares that Target and stores in Kapolei force bikers to walk through their acres of parking. When my friends decided we'd pau hana at the Royal Hawaiian, I found no parking except all the way over at the Sheraton. And many office buildings have "no bikes" at their
parking entry.

We've just mandated parking for electric cars for large scale parking lots. Let's do the same for bike parking and a right to ride in the car areas of parking lots where it is not obviously dangerous. Meanwhile, property managers -- clear signage telling me where the bike parking is would be nice too.

BTW in the state capitol building, the two bike racks were filled to the max when I went to testify this session -- need more, yes?
Chuck

Wahiawa, HI

#7 May 14, 2009
Honolulu needs to scrap the rail project, build safe bike lanes, and be done with it. If Portland can get 6% to ride bikes in that crappy climate...what % should we have? 10%??
Would that same % ride the train? No way! What would the long term cost delta be? I guess we all know what the idiots at the helm will decide...
alice

Los Altos, CA

#8 May 14, 2009
chuck is spot-on
Kuokoa

Waianae, HI

#9 May 14, 2009
flexo wrote:
Bicyclists on roadways are a hazard and an accident waiting to happen. They are confrontational and arrogant, refusing to obey the traffic laws that the cars around them are obeying. I have no pity for those who get hurt when acting like that.
You may be right about SOME of the cyclists on Oahu but I can vouch for the many more that do obey traffic laws. With the no cell phone law ready to go into affect it gives us at least one thing that will make the road safer for cyclists.
Kuokoa

Waianae, HI

#10 May 14, 2009
Chuck wrote:
Honolulu needs to scrap the rail project, build safe bike lanes, and be done with it. If Portland can get 6% to ride bikes in that crappy climate...what % should we have? 10%??
Would that same % ride the train? No way! What would the long term cost delta be? I guess we all know what the idiots at the helm will decide...
Ahh, Portland has buses, trains AND bicycles!
old country gal in Kailua

Kaneohe, HI

#11 May 14, 2009
Chuck wrote:
I had a dream recently ... Oahu had an on-ground train and bicycles galore. No cars. Just a dream ... outside the box.
Chuck

Wahiawa, HI

#12 May 14, 2009
Kuokoa wrote:
<quoted text>
Ahh, Portland has buses, trains AND bicycles!
I have no problem with trains. I do have a BIG problem handing this reckless, fiscally irresponsible government control over another horrendous union based bureaucracy. In light of THAT reality and the state of the current and future capability of the taxpayer's evaporating pockets to fund such Pollyanna projects: I'll peddle and take the train when in Portland.
Bianchi

France

#13 May 14, 2009
Portland is on the continental North American areas. Its not on the Ewa plain ---- apple/orange comparisons again without heavy industry support.

Another expensive project not even based on financial realities.
Molo

San Antonio, TX

#14 May 14, 2009
Bicycling is awesome, need to get one soon. Besides transportation from point A to pint B you get fresh air and a work out. We need to educate drivers about bicyclists rights so we all can respect them on the roads and we can all take out a bike now and again. I want to get a bike.
notodop

Phoenix, AZ

#15 May 14, 2009
flexo wrote:
Perhaps you are the jerk who nearly hit me yesterday after I stopped and waited for a red light to turn green. Were you the person in the SUV who was talking on the cell phone and who ran the red light? Maybe you were not and maybe you are a safe driver. I will give you the benefit of the doubt and not lump you into the group of inconsiderate and dangerous drivers I see every day. Likewise, you should not lump all bike riders into one group. My friends and I all obey the traffic rules and we see other bicyclists AND CAR DRIVERS who choose to ignore those laws. We all have to share the roads so grow up and stop acting like they are your own. Just because you are surrounded by steel doesn't give you any more right to use the roads than anyone else.
Bicycle Lady

Honolulu, HI

#16 May 14, 2009
Brad White wrote:
I would love to ride my bike here on Oahu.. but it is too dangerous. We lived in Holland for 2 years and we rode everyday. They had beautiful bike paths, and EVERYONE has a bike. You see Grandparents and children riding safely on the isolated bike paths. It would be a dream to see Hawaii like that. I am 60 and I want to ride my bike!! Wish I could.
I know that bicycling on our crowded roads is dangerous but I managed to survive so far and I'm 60, too. Don't let our roads deter your from bicycling. Whenever they are too crowded, I get on the sidewalks except where they are prohibited, in downtown and Waikiki. There are some off-road bike paths to ride like Date St. bike path, north shore bike path, and Ala Moana Beach bike path. The more we use those, the more we can prove to our lawmakers that off-road bike paths will be used frequently, and they are not "white elephants" as one writer to the editor claimed (about the one in Kauai).

Happy trails!
alice

Los Altos, CA

#17 May 14, 2009
Molo wrote:
Bicycling is awesome, need to get one soon. Besides transportation from point A to pint B you get fresh air and a work out. We need to educate drivers about bicyclists rights so we all can respect them on the roads and we can all take out a bike now and again. I want to get a bike.
thanks..I agree..I bike everywhere.
Road Kill

Aiea, HI

#18 May 14, 2009
I don't believe for a second that urban Oahu will ever be safe for bikes. That's why I ride the trails instead...rather get hit by a tree than a car. Two lines painted on a road = bikeway??!! and don't even get me started about our bike theft problem...guess we never heard of lockers here.
alice

Los Altos, CA

#19 May 14, 2009
with as small and congested honolulu is, no reason to drive. Use the bus or bike!
Unknown

Wailuku, HI

#20 May 14, 2009
I bike frequently but I would like to see police ticketing the cyclists who run red lights, and especially those who ride a night with no lights.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Honolulu Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Lava flow 3 hr District 1 322
Al Sharpton, Preserver of the Victim Mentality 3 hr District 1 47
Alice has worms. (Apr '10) 4 hr Mayhem 230
leeward lolo infects four Waianae Pig Farms__Sh... 5 hr God is on my side 1
OBAMA COUNTDOWN for DAYS LEFT In Office UNTIL N... (Jan '14) 5 hr Mazy 1,710
What Hawaii is really like. (Jan '08) 8 hr Quebert 231
Joe Arpaio and Guru Both Are Both Present Day Q... 8 hr Quebert 5
Isle housing bottom seen - Business (Apr '09) 18 hr Rob Astoria 61,961
Honolulu Dating
Find my Match