Kauai case of sex assault dismissed

By Tom Finnegan tfinnegan@starbulletin.com LIHUE Nine counts of sexual assault against a Kekaha man were dismissed last week after the victim gave conflicting statements on the witness stand, the man's defense ... Full Story
Disgusted

Lahaina, HI

#1 Apr 29, 2008
Isn't there a law against perjury?
Joe Blow

San Antonio, TX

#3 Apr 29, 2008
Disgusted wrote:
Isn't there a law against perjury?
Good question! IF the charges against this man are dropped because the court finds that that "victim" lied we SHOULD see the "victim" being prosecuted for purjury, but will we?

There seems to be much more interest here in Hawaii is prosecuting people (men) who are charged with sex crimes than in prosecuting people (women) who make falsely accuse people (men) of sex crimes.

In the meantime, the man who has apparently been found not guilt will forever have his name associated with the term "sex criminal."

Since: Feb 08

Minneapolis

#4 Apr 29, 2008
Joe Blow wrote:
<quoted text>
Good question! IF the charges against this man are dropped because the court finds that that "victim" lied we SHOULD see the "victim" being prosecuted for purjury, but will we?
There seems to be much more interest here in Hawaii is prosecuting people (men) who are charged with sex crimes than in prosecuting people (women) who make falsely accuse people (men) of sex crimes.
In the meantime, the man who has apparently been found not guilt will forever have his name associated with the term "sex criminal."
I agree but little consolation if she is prosecuted.

There is no worse accusation than that of sexually molesting a minor family member. The damage is done forever with the mere accusation.
Jimmy

Honolulu, HI

#5 Apr 29, 2008
There's a possibility the victim was scared. If the victim's mother was going to testify for the defense then that means the mother does not believe her. Imagine all your family members are against you. That's probably why she gave up. It's sad that the victim had to go through this court ordeal without support, especially after all the years of abuse.
TheUtopian

Honolulu, HI

#8 Apr 29, 2008
Brother Love wrote:
she lied, she should be punished for it, anything less would be discriminatory.
as for support, she had plenty, law enforcement, and the courts were her support, but "what a tangled web we weave when we 1st try to decieve".
put her in jail for perjury, then when she gets out the falsely accused can sue her azz for defamation of character & slander. she gonna be paying for this for a while, THAT IS THE MESSAGE THAT NEEDS TO BE SENT TO THESE WOMEN WHO LIE LIKE THIS WITH NO REGARD TO ANOTHER PERSONS RIGHT TO FREEDOM..
wow...this story hit close to home? sounds personal. Fact is, there are way more acts of real abuse that are never told or brought to justice. Criminals get off way too easy, or at the least have in the past. Lets just hope that the prosecutors learn from this so that it doesn't set precedence.
WestKauai

Pearl City, HI

#9 Apr 29, 2008
It wouldn't be the first time that the Kauai police "helped the victim remember" things that never happened...
Jonathan

Pearl City, HI

#10 Apr 29, 2008
displaced hawaiian wrote:
Why would she lie about this?
...because she might have hated the man so much.
agapito

Honolulu, HI

#11 Apr 29, 2008
The guy must have been guilty. He was arrested, wasn't he?

Sort of like Menor. He's guilty, no doubt.
pali

United States

#12 Apr 29, 2008
WestKauai wrote:
It wouldn't be the first time that the Kauai police "helped the victim remember" things that never happened...
Ding! Ding! And we have a winner!
Really Now

Hilo, HI

#13 Apr 29, 2008
TheUtopian wrote:
<quoted text>
wow...this story hit close to home? sounds personal. Fact is, there are way more acts of real abuse that are never told or brought to justice. Criminals get off way too easy, or at the least have in the past. Lets just hope that the prosecutors learn from this so that it doesn't set precedence.
I know plenty of men who have had their lives ruined just by mere accusation.

In Hawaii, moreso than other places, prosecution of sex crimes are sensationalized and pursued with a holy fury that's not tempered by justice.

Even if the words that man spoke were out of personal experience, understand that your callousness to the severity of the situation is what enables the overzealous prosecution in this state.
Oki

Honolulu, HI

#15 Apr 30, 2008
Why isn't the prosecutor looking into charges for perjury?
some other guy

Fort Collins, CO

#16 Apr 30, 2008
Joe Blow wrote:
<quoted text>
The charges were dropped. So it will show up on his arrest record but he will not have to register as a sex offender, since accusation does not equal guilt. If he is forced to register when the charges were removed, that's a breach of civil liberties.
hawaiian

Waipahu, HI

#17 May 1, 2008
I think the girl was scared brcause her own mother was going on the boyfriends side. I think as a mother you should try your best to stick to your children no matter what because they share almost the same blood "BLOOD IS THICKER THEN WATER". This is like another case that happend on KAua'i on the westside when a teacher from Waimea High School was charged with almost the same thing In this case We all think that the girl was making up the story and the teacher had to lose everything and even get his name on the system, Go to Jail for that. There is a lot people till this day believes that the girl (young adult mother of one now)was not telling the truth, We think that she was in love with him whom already had a girl friend now married. But you see the two differents in the stories. One you can believe the girl and the other you dont believe. Well Mahalo for reading my Opinion on this story. Sorry I got carried away.
Really Now

Hilo, HI

#18 May 1, 2008
Once a teacher is even accused of such, they will never teach again, even if they are exonerated.

You'll never work in youth ministry, public office, and although discrimination laws prohibit arrest record for being considered during employment, you'll never be able to live it down.

Far too often, Hawaii media sensationalizes sex crimes. They "get off" on it. And so does the general public. It's really sick.
Sex ed

Princeville, HI

#19 Apr 27, 2009
Oh no not again!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Honolulu Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Are you LIBERAL or CONSERVATIVE? 11 min Guru 16
Lava flow 15 min Guru 290
HEE'S a Crook 54 min Guru 2
LIFE on MARS? 1 hr Guru 4
OBAMA COUNTDOWN for DAYS LEFT In Office UNTIL N... (Jan '14) 2 hr Puerco Martypuzzy 1,647
Isle housing bottom seen - Business (Apr '09) 2 hr Guru 61,920
CUBA vs HAWAII! 4 hr Guru 8
Honolulu Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Honolulu People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Honolulu News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Honolulu

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News