Letters to the editor - Letters

GREED! It's simply greed on the part of Oceanic and the Hawaii High School Athletic Association to charge the public $29-plus to view the two public high school championship games. Full Story
Glen

AOL

#1 Dec 4, 2009
Steve,

I understand your pain. That huge stimulus package should have gone to create real jobs, not made up ones. It should have been used to bring all kinds of industry back to the US.
Sadly, that isn't in their plans.
When they have a fake, so called, "job, summit" and totally ignore asking the Chamber of Commerce to it, says it all.
What better way to prove to the people that they are serious in fixing this.
Their actions speak volumns.
Big John-Hawaii Kai

Kailua Kona, HI

#2 Dec 4, 2009
Recently, within the last 3-4 months, the first item I check out in the local newspapers are the foreclosures. Several times it has exceeded over 50 foreclosures listed, however, usually it is only 20+. We, the taxpayer, bailed out Wall St. and big banks and how did this help those facing foreclosure. It didn't! It only gave those receiving bailout billions to pass out as bonuses. Meanwhile what does a family of four do when facing foreclosure. They can't go out and rent a place because of their credit. They can't pack up and move. If they had the money to relocate a family of four, it would seem that they would also have the money to pay their mortgage. So, where do they go? What do they do? Move into a refrigerator packing crate under the freeway? SHAME, our government has failed the American people while favoring special interest.
Scorpio58

Honolulu, HI

#3 Dec 4, 2009
Mr. Ballard, I too am a vet. I have no problems with seeing the natatorium being demolished. Saving and moving the arch seems appropriate, and would, by itself, be a fitting reminder of those who paid the ultimate price for freedom. The pool and bleachers, if restored, would only fall into decay again and the issue would be rehashed over and over. Demolish the pool and bleachers, return the beach to a usable space and get on with life. Believe me, there are many more important issues than trying to save what can't be saved, and many more important ways for the state/county/city to spend our money.
Warrior

Honolulu, HI

#4 Dec 4, 2009
I think Mother Nature destroyed the Natatorium, Fred.
Mike

United States

#5 Dec 4, 2009
Obama, the CEO's puppet.
Mike

United States

#6 Dec 4, 2009
A little memorial in the corner should replace the pool to honor the vets. We don't need that high cost maintenance of having a pool.

Since: Feb 08

Kaneohe, Hawaii

#7 Dec 4, 2009
Re: Football Broadcast and "Public schools for the public to watch."

First, there is no right to view a game free. If you don't want to pay $29, take the bus, pay the small admission, and take the bus back home. Another option would be to listen to the radio. That's free!

Second, would you have the same response regarding UH football games? Seems that there are fees to watch that publicly financed institution on t.v.

Third, one of the schools is a private school so how does that fit into your statement?

Fourth, if some of this money goes to help high school sports, sports that have had their budgets cut, then why not have those who appreciate the sport pay? Why is that greed? Nobody's forcing them to do so.

Fifth, if cable is too pricey then cut it out. I watch my tv over the air. No monthly cost for that.
Oshiro is a Racist

Honolulu, HI

#8 Dec 4, 2009
Oshiro is Anglophobic and Christophobic.
Yawn

Honolulu, HI

#9 Dec 4, 2009
Kauakea wrote:
First, there is no right to view a game free. If you don't want to pay $29, take the bus, pay the small admission, and take the bus back home. Another option would be to listen to the radio. That's free!
Second, would you have the same response regarding UH football games? Seems that there are fees to watch that publicly financed institution on t.v.
Third, one of the schools is a private school so how does that fit into your statement?
Fourth, if some of this money goes to help high school sports, sports that have had their budgets cut, then why not have those who appreciate the sport pay? Why is that greed? Nobody's forcing them to do so.
Fifth, if cable is too pricey then cut it out. I watch my tv over the air. No monthly cost for that.
YAWN !
Who Cares

Honolulu, HI

#10 Dec 4, 2009
Kauakea wrote:
Boring ! Who Cares ;)
Lisa Rodrigues

Honolulu, HI

#12 Dec 5, 2009
What is truly disappointing is the continuous stream of biased disinformation streaming from the Governor's office. How dare she blame the teachers for Furlough Fridays! The furloughs were HER IDEA. Teachers are already underpaid. Did she really think that they would say "no problem, we will work for no pay."

Can you imagine the public outcry if any of the other state workers were asked to return to work on their furlough days to work without pay? The outcry from those workers if they were asked to train for or coordinate their responsibilities on their own time? Try telling that to an attorney or a state legislator...

Lingle doesn't have a plan, and the teachers have already ratified a contract that she demanded... why would they renegotiate for even less? Has anyone noticed that the 7.9% paycut created by the furloughs is actually closer to an 11% cut? Adding days may increase the quantity of education, but it would decrease the quality of education.

Teachers are expected to maintain "highly qualified teacher" status, current certification, and to create lessons that meet state standards which will prepare their students to pass the HSA tests. Those aren't things a teacher can do on his/her own time. Those things require times when all teachers can work together toward the common goal of educating our students.

Middle School Teachers are expected to plan for, teach, and grade assignments for as many as 140 students. Most of them also have families who rely on them once they leave work. Does Lingle really expect them to take all that work home also? Would you ask a police officer to take home a case file on his day off? or a doctor to perform surgeries while on leave?

What is truly unfortunate is that everyone agrees that it is important to educate our children, but few people understand the need to take care of the people who make that education possible.

Why is it that Lingle has singled out the teachers for her special brand of vendetta? Why are the state workers being asked to make up a shortfall that she created? If the state budget deficit impacts EVERY person in the state, shouldn't EVERY person contribute to the solution?

I strongly urge Lingle to rethink her position. I'd rather pay more taxes than see even one teacher or one state worker loose his/her job because of Lingle's folly. I strongly urge the HSTA to start educating the public as to all the ridiculous requirements teachers have to meet, how much of our own time we already spend on our jobs, and how much money we spend out of our own pockets to supply our classrooms because Lingle has cut the school budget.

I strongly urge the public to stop believing every lie being spun by Lingle and to demand a real solution that starts with dismissal of all the people responsible for the state deficit.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Honolulu Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
(((Honolulu Music Thread))) 1 hr texas pete 10
Last Post Wins (Apr '11) 2 hr texas pete 2,318
Legit supplier of m-a-rij-uauna,pain n anxiety ... 2 hr Jack 2
Why do Filipinos consider themselves as Pacific... (Oct '08) 5 hr Go Blue Forever 422
State timeshare properties prove popular with o... (Feb '09) 17 hr Tylequious Jackson 4
Magic Island privetization 17 hr Guru 12
Propaganda from the Delusional Mon Leeward Outlier 3
Honolulu Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Honolulu People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 5:39 am PST

NBC Sports 5:39AM
Raiders adding Sal Sunseri to defensive staff
NBC Sports 6:31 AM
Raiders hire Todd Downing as quarterbacks coach
NBC Sports 7:09 AM
Perry Fewell to interview for position coach job with 49ers
Yahoo! Sports 8:12 AM
The lure of LA for the NFL - mirage or 'must do'?
NBC Sports10:39 AM
Alleghany County sheriff: No conflict of interest with deputy working for Steelers