Teachers should strive to reach an ag...

Teachers should strive to reach an agreement - Hawaii Editorials

There are 108 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Nov 29, 2009, titled Teachers should strive to reach an agreement - Hawaii Editorials. In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

When Gov. Linda Lingle agreed two weeks ago to use "rainy day" money to reduce the number of Furlough Fridays in school years, the teachers union gave its support.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

Da Man

Mililani, HI

#21 Nov 29, 2009
Redondos wrote:
In this current fiscal crisis, the teachers have got to be willing to give up something. Planning days? The public school system exists, first and foremost, for the sake of THE KIDS, not to provide career enhancements for the teachers.
Let me tell you this. If the HSTA ever provided actual teacher attendance/participation for the annual state Teacher Institution, the percentage would be embarrassingly low!!! Everyone in the DOE knows how most teachers just take that day off, when it is a PAID WORK DAY.
C'mon teachers. Now that the governor has given in with offering the use of the hurricane rainy day fund, you folks have to be willing to likewise compromise too. Otherwise, you teachers will come out looking like the villains in all this.
The Teachers already gave up 8% of their pay. Now you want them to give up more ?? They have already compromised , they dont have to compromise anymore !!
The only reason the governor is offering the rainy day fund is because she was shamed into making the offer by the national press and national leaders. She wants to hold a national office one day and she knows she screwed this up pretty badly. Its a token offer and is not even close to what she is asking of the teachers to give up. In this economy they have taken a hit to their pay , their medical insurance costs and to inflation. Their only chance to provide for their families and to put food on their tables and a roof over their heads is to use the furlough days to work and make some money to survive. Lingles offer of 12 days of pay for 27 days of work doesnt even come close.
When Lingle is ready to fully fund education I'm sure the teachers will be more than happy to renegotiate the contract that Lingle agreed to back in September. Otherwise , all she's doing is making a mockery of the educational system of Hawaii and the contract she agreed to , just to save herself from the embarassment of what she has done , and to benefit herself later. All the wrong reasons !!
Realist

Waianae, HI

#22 Nov 29, 2009
quebert wrote:
Public education is a failure, why do we keep funding it?
Ask the French.
huh

Kailua Kona, HI

#23 Nov 29, 2009
Kalli wrote:
Teachers be smart, take a pay cut.
we did.
Island Boi

Kaneohe, HI

#24 Nov 29, 2009
Once again we are the union controlled, backwards, land of the Nei. Union bosses always try to stick it to the tax payers, feeling this is why they are union bosses, only take care of their own, more and more money for union members who do not deserve it. The whole world is laughing at our two steps forward, 10 steps backwards union working process. Such buffoons, baboozes and more are our union bosses. Completely unable to work out a plan to support our Keiki. Ahhhh, just another day in the Nei.
Stop Adjusting

Honolulu, HI

#25 Nov 29, 2009
An agreement was already reached. Any more tampering with this will result in a greater loss. Leave this alone. What's the current plan? Raid a special fund of money that is intended for health services. So what will we do when next year we have to cut a bunch of health programs? Too bad, you gave the money up for what is not really about improving our students and teachers, but has been proposed to take heat off the Governor and other politicians. LEAVE IT ALONE. The Contract Was Set Already!!!
waikiki wayne

Lihue, HI

#26 Nov 29, 2009
alice wrote:
Pay the teachers more when they perform. Most heer are too horrible to pay anything to.
Xacly, dey taut you how for spel corectly.
waikiki wayne

Lihue, HI

#27 Nov 29, 2009
want to know wrote:
Teachers sign in early at seminars and then check out to go shopping. Is this why they need their planning days?
Have you been in the office or parking lot when this supposedly takes place? You only spew rumors like everyone else. If you witness this firsthand, it means that you don't have a job to go to. Just be happy collecting your EBT and section 8 from the state.
whodat

Elgin, IL

#28 Nov 29, 2009
waikiki wayne wrote:
<quoted text>Have you been in the office or parking lot when this supposedly takes place? You only spew rumors like everyone else. If you witness this firsthand, it means that you don't have a job to go to. Just be happy collecting your EBT and section 8 from the state.
LOL. Agreed. Im sure there are teachers thatcut out early but the majority honor it. If there are teachers doing that, then their principals and vps arent doing their jobs. People that are belittling the teachers make a lot of generalizations. Of course, there are some bad teachers. There are some bad policemen, firemen, military personnel, etc. Are they all bad too? I think the media and people in general are quick to point out negatives. You rarely hear about the good things people do.
Truth Hurts

Honolulu, HI

#29 Nov 29, 2009
Teachers may have to take a non-instructional time cut with the $50 million buy back fix proposed. Sometimes one must lose a battle to win the war. I am a public teacher advocate and have nothing but gratitude for my children excelling academically at a great D.O.E. elementary after transferring in from a private school that was leaving my children behind with a wink and a smile. I have been one of many pushing behind the scenes to make a funding option appear.

There are a lot of complicated issues going on that make it the best option, IMHO. My core belief is that teachers, parents, and students all need to do their part to make this a success story. Don't let the snake negotiators from the Executive push you in a direction which let's them walk away and blame you. The $227 million in cuts Lingle proposed before negotiations from the D.O.E. will be just the tip of the iceberg. Giving up instructional days for now until the next Democratic Governor seems like a good strategy. Why not negotiate for a one year contract with the rainy day fund and turn it around on Lingle? Just $.02. Good luck and play it smart.
LOL

Mililani, HI

#30 Nov 29, 2009
Truth Hurts wrote:
Teachers may have to take a non-instructional time cut with the $50 million buy back fix proposed. Sometimes one must lose a battle to win the war. I am a public teacher advocate and have nothing but gratitude for my children excelling academically at a great D.O.E. elementary after transferring in from a private school that was leaving my children behind with a wink and a smile. I have been one of many pushing behind the scenes to make a funding option appear.
There are a lot of complicated issues going on that make it the best option, IMHO. My core belief is that teachers, parents, and students all need to do their part to make this a success story. Don't let the snake negotiators from the Executive push you in a direction which let's them walk away and blame you. The $227 million in cuts Lingle proposed before negotiations from the D.O.E. will be just the tip of the iceberg. Giving up instructional days for now until the next Democratic Governor seems like a good strategy. Why not negotiate for a one year contract with the rainy day fund and turn it around on Lingle? Just $.02. Good luck and play it smart.
Using the rainy day fund this year is only a band aid fixture. Your 2 cents idea is just that. You don't seem tp understand that the real problem is the BUREAUCRATIC DOE. Use up a dollars worth and think again before you post.
storm

Wahiawa, HI

#31 Nov 29, 2009
Truth Hurts wrote:
Teachers may have to take a non-instructional time cut with the $50 million buy back fix proposed. Sometimes one must lose a battle to win the war. I am a public teacher advocate and have nothing but gratitude for my children excelling academically at a great D.O.E. elementary after transferring in from a private school that was leaving my children behind with a wink and a smile. I have been one of many pushing behind the scenes to make a funding option appear.
There are a lot of complicated issues going on that make it the best option, IMHO. My core belief is that teachers, parents, and students all need to do their part to make this a success story. Don't let the snake negotiators from the Executive push you in a direction which let's them walk away and blame you. The $227 million in cuts Lingle proposed before negotiations from the D.O.E. will be just the tip of the iceberg. Giving up instructional days for now until the next Democratic Governor seems like a good strategy. Why not negotiate for a one year contract with the rainy day fund and turn it around on Lingle? Just $.02. Good luck and play it smart.
blah, blah, blah ... get a job!!!

Since: Sep 08

Honolulu

#32 Nov 29, 2009
Cut the DOE budget in other things. This whole game plan by the DOE to make it hurt where the most people would be affected is working for them. They have not cutout the bloated administration or reduced in size the department.
LOL

Mililani, HI

#33 Nov 29, 2009
KAzman wrote:
Cut the DOE budget in other things. This whole game plan by the DOE to make it hurt where the most people would be affected is working for them. They have not cutout the bloated administration or reduced in size the department.
Correct you are. A settlement with the rainy day fund is PIECEMEAL. Go after the BUREAUCRATIC DOE and you will find at least $600,000,000 that is not accounted for.
Truth Hurts

Honolulu, HI

#34 Nov 29, 2009
storm wrote:
<quoted text>
blah, blah, blah ... get a job!!!
My job is justice for Hawaii's keiki. So go blah yourself.:)
YAAwn

Keauhou, HI

#35 Nov 29, 2009
Truth Hurts wrote:
<quoted text>
My job is justice for Hawaii's keiki. So go blah yourself.:)
YAAwn...
Truth Hurts

Honolulu, HI

#36 Nov 29, 2009
LOL wrote:
<quoted text> Using the rainy day fund this year is only a band aid fixture. Your 2 cents idea is just that. You don't seem tp understand that the real problem is the BUREAUCRATIC DOE. Use up a dollars worth and think again before you post.
What you don't seem to get is the D.O.E. is legally positioned out of oversight and Constitutionally protected as the instrument to deliver education in the State of Hawaii. Pragmatically, I accept that any solution will be administered through the D.O.E. The first step is to get the children of Hawaii back their instructional time that the Governor took away.

You can take that to the bank, maybe you can earn some interest.

Now, present your reality based plan to disband the D.O.E. so we can all have something to LOL about.:)
LOL

Kihei, HI

#37 Nov 29, 2009
Just want to clarify that LOL from Honolulu is not me (LOL from nowhere). I agree with Truth Hurts.
Can You Dig It

Honolulu, HI

#38 Nov 29, 2009
YAAwn wrote:
<quoted text>YAAwn...
Dig, dig, dig, sniff. That'll wake you up.:)
Cluelessness Abounds

Kaneohe, HI

#39 Nov 29, 2009
Redondos wrote:
In this current fiscal crisis, the teachers have got to be willing to give up something. Planning days? The public school system exists, first and foremost, for the sake of THE KIDS, not to provide career enhancements for the teachers.
Let me tell you this. If the HSTA ever provided actual teacher attendance/participation for the annual state Teacher Institution, the percentage would be embarrassingly low!!! Everyone in the DOE knows how most teachers just take that day off, when it is a PAID WORK DAY.
C'mon teachers. Now that the governor has given in with offering the use of the hurricane rainy day fund, you folks have to be willing to likewise compromise too. Otherwise, you teachers will come out looking like the villains in all this.
The planning days are not for the personal career advancement of the teachers.
What a hilarious, out of touch comment. The planning days benefit the students; it's a time when teachers can look at the goals and progress of their students and plan the instruction accordingly. It's also when teachers learn the latest research and how to apply it in their classrooms. READ a little and you'll understand the issues on which you so freely comment.
troll

Honolulu, HI

#40 Nov 29, 2009
alice wrote:
Pay the teachers more when they perform. Most heer are too horrible to pay anything to.
Hahaha!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Honolulu Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Last Post Wins (Apr '11) 1 hr _FLATLINE-------- 3,759
Add A Word, Drop, Drop A Word (May '11) 1 hr _FLATLINE-------- 107
add a word/drop a word and 'stuff' 1 hr _FLATLINE-------- 140
Mr. President, Donald Trump (Aug '15) 3 hr Ellison ISIS Muslim 364
News Not the first: Abe predecessor visited Pearl Ha... 17 hr Mark 1
Har har har har (Apr '14) Wed USA 135
The OFFICIAL countdown to Obama's LAST day thread! Wed American_Infidel 17

Honolulu Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Honolulu Mortgages