Teachers should strive to reach an ag...

Teachers should strive to reach an agreement - Hawaii Editorials

There are 108 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Nov 29, 2009, titled Teachers should strive to reach an agreement - Hawaii Editorials. In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

When Gov. Linda Lingle agreed two weeks ago to use "rainy day" money to reduce the number of Furlough Fridays in school years, the teachers union gave its support.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Kalli

Mililani, HI

#1 Nov 29, 2009
Teachers be smart, take a pay cut.
quebert

Haubstadt, IN

#2 Nov 29, 2009
again? You first, BTW start babysitting your own kids instead of passing all their problems off on the schools.

“Kokokahi -We are all one blood”

Since: Mar 08

United States

#3 Nov 29, 2009
Editorial says "Teachers should strive to reach an agreement."

When I was a teacher and a student who failed a test said "I tried my best", my answer was:

You get E for Effort. And remember, E comes right between D and F.
Translator

Keauhou, HI

#4 Nov 29, 2009
Kalli wrote:
Teachers be smart, take a pay cut.
Don't take a pay cut. Demand that the bureaucracy be trimmed.
Everyone is barking up the wrong tree.
It's not the teachers who are at fault. It's their bosses and the legislature.
The DOE/BOE/HSTA leadership is implementing the Washington Monument Syndrome.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Monum...

http://www.cato-at-liberty.org/2009/07/15/the...

http://www.mwilliams.info/archive/2004/02/was...
Mililani_Bob

Honolulu, HI

#5 Nov 29, 2009
In the final outcome, it's the kids who are the biggest losers in this process. Slashing the number of instructional days just can't be good for them, although many of them might not agree now, when looking forward to three-day week-ends.
quebert

Haubstadt, IN

#6 Nov 29, 2009
Public education is a failure, why do we keep funding it?
Weisun

Honolulu, HI

#7 Nov 29, 2009
The entire state would be wise to embrace furlough Fridays. Instead of parents finding day care for their children, parents should take the day off from work. Parents with middle school or high school children should take the day off too. Furlough Fridays are an opportunity to slow down the madness of a growth oriented economy. Not only in Hawaii, but on the rest of the planet we need to stop the plunder of human and natural resources. We can't do something different if we keep doing the same thing day after day. So let us embrace furlough Fridays and put our imaginations to work.
alice

United States

#8 Nov 29, 2009
Pay the teachers more when they perform. Most heer are too horrible to pay anything to.
Da Man

Mililani, HI

#9 Nov 29, 2009
Excuse me , but the teachers DO have an agreement !! If Lingle wants them to change that agreement , she needs to give them a better offer, otherwise they don't need to agree to anything, Like I said , They already have a contract, it expires in 2011.
Big John-Hawaii Kai

Kailua, HI

#10 Nov 29, 2009
A union official says teachers "need those planning days to ensure quality education."

Let's see, before this, teachers had their planning days. WHAT HAPPENED! Our educational system is either at the bottom or close to the bottom in educating our youth. How have these planning days, in the past, helped this situation? I'm listening!
alice

United States

#11 Nov 29, 2009
alice wrote:
Pay the teachers more when they perform. Most heer are too horrible to pay anything to.
Teachers here are spoiled and inept.
alice

United States

#12 Nov 29, 2009
alice wrote:
true..our teachers are badly educated and very unprofessional
Hyena

Mililani, HI

#13 Nov 29, 2009
Alice the inept. Probably a GRE, percent of the standard deviation.
Beckett

Wailuku, HI

#14 Nov 29, 2009
Teachers = pawns in Lingle's grandiose plan to emulate Grover Norquist, easy targets for a public too dumb to do anything but point and blame.
Edwatch

Waipahu, HI

#15 Nov 29, 2009
Why is the headline "teachers" should reach agreement? It is HSTA we are talking about, not the professionals in the classroom.

How about getting the legislature to take HSTA out of education decision-making? No wonder we have a bloated DOE and and one of the very worst public education systems in the nation, if not the world.

Take HSTA out of education decisions, then we can break apart a bloated DOE leaving local education in the hands in local communities--the people who have a stake in whether their children receive a high quality education.
want to know

Honolulu, HI

#16 Nov 29, 2009
Teachers sign in early at seminars and then check out to go shopping. Is this why they need their planning days?
LauLau

AOL

#17 Nov 29, 2009
You can't please the teachers, that's why they're teachers!!!!!!!!
Translator

Keauhou, HI

#18 Nov 29, 2009
Edwatch wrote:
Why is the headline "teachers" should reach agreement? It is HSTA we are talking about, not the professionals in the classroom....
Take HSTA out of education decisions, then we can break apart a bloated DOE leaving local education in the hands in local communities--the people who have a stake in whether their children receive a high quality education.
That would take a constitutional convention, or a 180 degree turn-around in plantation style thinking and leadership dynamics.
Demographically, Hawaii is now 51+% populated by people born someplace else. The Hawaii Democratic Party is losing its grip on our state, and this Furlough Friday debacle is rightly being laid at their feet.
The core powers of the old Plantation/Union-driven structures lie in the ability to control employees, and therefore, their votes. It's all so Hollywood cliche, yet, there it is:

Governor Tarkin: The Imperial Senate will no longer be of any concern to us. I have just received word that the Emperor has dissolved the council permanently. The last remnants of the Old Republic have been swept away.
General Tagge: But that's impossible. How will the Emperor maintain control without the bureaucracy?
Governor Tarkin: The regional governors now have direct control over their territories. Fear will keep the local systems in line. Fear of this battle station.
Redondos

Honolulu, HI

#19 Nov 29, 2009
In this current fiscal crisis, the teachers have got to be willing to give up something. Planning days? The public school system exists, first and foremost, for the sake of THE KIDS, not to provide career enhancements for the teachers.

Let me tell you this. If the HSTA ever provided actual teacher attendance/participation for the annual state Teacher Institution, the percentage would be embarrassingly low!!! Everyone in the DOE knows how most teachers just take that day off, when it is a PAID WORK DAY.

C'mon teachers. Now that the governor has given in with offering the use of the hurricane rainy day fund, you folks have to be willing to likewise compromise too. Otherwise, you teachers will come out looking like the villains in all this.
MisterMister

Kihei, HI

#20 Nov 29, 2009
Big John-Hawaii Kai wrote:
A union official says teachers "need those planning days to ensure quality education."
Let's see, before this, teachers had their planning days. WHAT HAPPENED! Our educational system is either at the bottom or close to the bottom in educating our youth. How have these planning days, in the past, helped this situation? I'm listening!
If you would actually do some research you would learn that we have made gains. On the flip side, it's hard to imagine anything getting better if all planning and training were eliminated. I find it amusing that the ones screaming for improvement are the same ones who want teachers to "just teach". If we want sustained improvement then change is necessary. Change can only occur with time for planning and training. Why is this a difficult concept?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Honolulu Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Then why are flags made of cloth 1 hr Joe Balls 1
Joe BALLS Has Always Been A Big Fat LIAR (Jul '15) 2 hr Joe Balls 22
The History of Flip Flopper Trump 5 hr Hawn Punch 8
Mr. President, Donald Trump (Aug '15) 6 hr Leeward Outlier 2,687
Yuk yuk yuk yuk (Apr '15) 17 hr L Beagle Snoopy 98
Aloha HPD __ Joe Balls from Waianae claims..... Sat We ALL love POTUS... 17
If Obama had a son Sat We ALL love POTUS... 33

Honolulu Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance