The BOH Cyrus Belt Fund

Posted in the Honolulu Forum

First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Since: Jan 08

Kaneohe, HI

#1 Jan 23, 2008
.....is being managed by Lisa Belt, The aunty of Cyrus. This is David Belt's (Cyrus' dad) sister.

Many of us automatically thought that the accounts set up were by the bank, but apparently anyone can set up this fund and disperse the money as they see fit.

Lisa called KSSK and said the money is going to pay for Cyrus' funeral expenses and any remaining money will be given to a charity. Not all of the funeral expenses are being paid for by donations as some think. They have to pay for the plot, the headstone, things like that.
Sick and Tired

Honolulu, HI

#2 Jan 23, 2008
Why do you say that not all of the funeral expenses are being paid for by donations? The people of Hawaii are normally extremely generous especially when it comes to a child. Donations to this fund would far exceed the costs of a funeral. But the questionable parenting of Cyrus leads to questions about how money being donated in his name will be used. You have got to understand that people are naturally wary of this family. I have been urging people to call Nuuanu Mortuary directly to make their donations. Or to make their donations to a reputable charitable organization in Cyrus' name. I don't want to fund Chanco's drug habit. I don't want to reward this family for their negligence. Yes, I'm angry at Matthew Higa for his despicable act, but I'm also angry at Cyrus Belt's family for the sad life they provided for him before his death.
Lisa Belt

Ewa Beach, HI

#3 Jan 23, 2008
Mommy to 2 wrote:
.....is being managed by Lisa Belt, The aunty of Cyrus. This is David Belt's (Cyrus' dad) sister.
Many of us automatically thought that the accounts set up were by the bank, but apparently anyone can set up this fund and disperse the money as they see fit.
Lisa called KSSK and said the money is going to pay for Cyrus' funeral expenses and any remaining money will be given to a charity. Not all of the funeral expenses are being paid for by donations as some think. They have to pay for the plot, the headstone, things like that.
All the money in the account will go towards Cyrus' funeral but anything that is unused in the account will go towards charity.
Lisa Belt

Ewa Beach, HI

#4 Jan 23, 2008
Mommy to 2 wrote:
I who work at the bank know for a fact that anyone CANNOT open an account. Only a family member can open a fund account.

Kaneohe, HI

#5 Jan 23, 2008
I am simply reiterating what Lisa Belt said on the radio. You take it for what it is worth. Apparently ther are going to be using the mortuary for free, but the rest has to be paid for...i.e.--it is not being donated by the cemetary, etc (according to Lisa Belt). Yes, I agree, that the amount in this fund probably exceeds the expenses. And people were (may still be) worried that the money would go to support Nancy's drug habit. I am not posting this in support of this fund. I am posting this so it is clear what was said regarding the fund. I did not say to support the fund, to donate or not to donate. I personally will not because I cannot guarantee where the money will go. But this is what was said on KSSK.

And for what it is worth, I hope no one leaves envelopes of money at the service. That will definitely go to support Nancy...her drugs, her new idea of flying to Turkey, whatever. What good would donating money through Nuuanu Mortuary do? Pay for the service? Then what? Usually it is given to the family. Has the mortuary said what they will do with the excess? I say donate it to charity, donate it anywhere but to durg addicted individuals!
chanco is guilty

Honolulu, HI

#7 Jan 23, 2008
Question:

Where was aunty Lisa's concern for Cyrus when he was alive??????
Bernadette

Honolulu, HI

#8 Jan 23, 2008
Lisa Belt wrote:
<quoted text>
All the money in the account will go towards Cyrus' funeral but anything that is unused in the account will go towards charity.
Lisa, I am truly sorry for your and your family's tragic loss. I do understand the obstacles you may have encountered in trying to help Cyrus when he was alive, especially when he had a mother like Nancy Chanco. I hope you, in return, understand why I and other people have expressed a reluctance to donate to the BOH fund set up in Cyrus' name. I am saddened that I have to look upon his family with such cynicism. But Nancy Chanco and her father have manipulated our emotions this past week into sympathy for them. Then we learn of how Cyrus actually lived. The selfish and neglectful behavior of the adults closest to him, while not necessarily having been a direct cause of his horrific death, gives us pause. If a precious child could be abused in such a way, how much more the money that kindhearted and generous people donate to honor his memory? I wish you and your family luck and God's blessings in finding some peace after this event. I truly hope that whatever charity to whom you donate the surplus will put the funds to good use and that there will never be another child that has to suffer like Cyrus.

Kaneohe, HI

#9 Jan 23, 2008
Not making any judgements against Lisa. I think there is enough anger to go around without dragging in every other relative.

Dysfunctional families will be dysfunctional families. David Belt apparently hit Nancy after Cyrus was born. He is in jail. Nancy had custody of Cyrus. I hardly think the Belt family was high on her list of favorite relatives. She had her Chinatown family afterall. Let's not torch the Belt family for what Nancy is responsible for.

Hilo, HI

#10 Jan 23, 2008
I wish I had heard the radio today.

I still cannot believe how people still believe Nancy and her Fathers bullshit. They're so transparent. I wonder how they can even sleep at night. Yes there manipulative ways are being bought by a lot of people but not me.
Bernadette

Honolulu, HI

#11 Jan 23, 2008
I'm not torching the Belt family. I'm just cynical. I know drug addicts in my own family and know the lies and manipulations they can conjure up to get money to feed their habits. I was wary of a fund set up in Cyrus' name, not knowing if the mother was the administrator or not. I know that the generosity of the people of Hawaii would exceed the funds needed to pay for a funeral. I desperately hope that Lisa Belt and the Belt family will do right by Cyrus and really do something good with this fund. If even one child is saved in Cyrus' name, then maybe some peace will come to those who mourn.

Hilo, HI

#12 Jan 23, 2008
"If even one child is saved in Cyrus' name, then maybe some peace will come to those who mourn."

So true!
Patty

Puunene, HI

#13 Jan 23, 2008
Wait wait wait, does anyone know the Belt Family? Are they Crackheads too?

Now, I don't know the family. But we, the wonderful people in Hawaii are sooo generous, we open our hearts and pockets and give freely. If both sides of this child's family are into illegal activities; donating to a bank fund that will be handled by family would only add to their illegal activities.

If you feel a donation is necessary, make it to a "legit" charity in Cyrus' Memory. It'd be safer that way.

Sorry, my glass tends to be half full.
high_high_lover

Honolulu, HI

#14 Jan 23, 2008
chanco is guilty wrote:
Question:
Where are rest of us when someone in need cries out? We're good at putting toys and flowers up after the fact but how many of us give anything to charity? The amount of money wasted on the overpass SHOULD give everyone pause to consider what we're REALLY made of. Guess we're too busy getting high or living high.
Lisa Belt

Ewa Beach, HI

#15 Jan 23, 2008
chanco is guilty wrote:
Question:
Well if you had read my posts you would've known that keeping in touch with Nancy was impossible. She would avoid my calls and I never knew where she was at all. How do you try to help someone who doesn't want it?
Lisa Belt

Ewa Beach, HI

#16 Jan 23, 2008
Patty wrote:
Wait wait wait, does anyone know the Belt Family? Are they Crackheads too?
Now, I don't know the family. But we, the wonderful people in Hawaii are sooo generous, we open our hearts and pockets and give freely. If both sides of this child's family are into illegal activities; donating to a bank fund that will be handled by family would only add to their illegal activities.
If you feel a donation is necessary, make it to a "legit" charity in Cyrus' Memory. It'd be safer that way.
Sorry, my glass tends to be half full.
No the whole family are not crackheads? Do you judge the whole society when one person does wrong? Is Hawaii now full baby killers because of one persons' actions?

I would like to let you know that I would truly be grateful for any donations to any charity that you feel appropriate. It does not necessarily have to go into Cyrus' fund account but I felt that I was the right person to handle the financial part since I was the most level-headed person.
FYI

Winchester, KY

#17 Jan 23, 2008
ARE BANKS OPEN TODAY? LISA BELT DID'NT YOU STATE YOU WORK AT A BANK, GOT THE DAY OFF OR SOMETHING?
So Sad

Kaneohe, HI

#19 Jan 23, 2008
I'm sorry for your loss.

I'm sorry Higa lived in the area.

I'm sorry the Mom and Dad didn't care more about the boy and less about their personal needs/addictions. That's really what it comes down to. When you decide to do something as harmful as ice/crack when pregnant it pretty much says it all.

It's such a sad story. It touched so many people. My wife is still down. I know we all have given our kids a little more hugs.

Hilo, HI

#21 Jan 23, 2008
I have been off since this tragic event and I am in no relation to Cyrus at all. And after this do you think I want to go back to work knowing something could happen to my 9 month old son? And my older kids who are in school?

If you guys don't want to donate, then by all means DON'T!

Way to kick her when shes already down assholes.
So Sad

Kaneohe, HI

#22 Jan 23, 2008
Go back to work. It's the law of numbers. Lot's a bad things happen in the world. Look at the starving dying kids in the world. All the other kids in Hawaii in similar homes. Live your life. Don't hide. Just trust and use "common sense" with those watching your kids.

Can you blame anyone who has concerns about donating money? She isn't innocent. If she had her life together her child would be alive. You can't but (all) the blame on HIGA (90%). The child was wondering the streets earlier that day.

It's like giving a child matches and then being surprised to see a fire. If you live in a crap hole and don't pay attention - sh*t happens. Try locking the door if your neighbor is strange. Don't let him watch your child as was reported.

This is a sad story but that doesn't mean you need to comfort the mom who really didn't care enough.

Hilo, HI

#24 Jan 23, 2008
So Sad, I am not talking about Nancy! I'm referring to Lisa. I don't care for Nancy she could rot for all I care. I am shocked that noone kicked her ass last night and you think the sheriffs would've cared? the ones I seen were busy flirting with mourning women.

You can't trust no one nowadays even with common sense!

And that dumb boyfriend of hers saying in his interview they don't ever lock the door. Wtf? The grandfather was home couldn't he just knock on the door? That's common sense and none of them people in the apartment had it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Honolulu Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mr. President, Donald Trump (Aug '15) 33 min Leeward Outlier 357
News Not the first: Abe predecessor visited Pearl Ha... 1 hr Mark 1
add a word/drop a word and 'stuff' 2 hr Princess Hey 137
Last Post Wins (Apr '11) 3 hr Princess Hey 3,755
Add A Word, Drop, Drop A Word (May '11) 3 hr Princess Hey 104
Har har har har (Apr '14) 20 hr USA 135
The OFFICIAL countdown to Obama's LAST day thread! Wed American_Infidel 17

Honolulu Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance