is hawaii rasist twords none-locals?
InTotalAgreement

Ewa Beach, HI

#133 Dec 28, 2007
Auwe wrote:
First off, Haole means Foreigner. It does not mean white, ok? Its so sad that Hawaii is like this, its my home. No matter what type of race you are, you can and will be discriminated against at some point of your life even if you live here. There are so many racial/ethnic slurs that it has become pitiful. I was called flip or book-book by my own classmates as I was growing up on the north shore. My other friends were called japs, even others were called stupid portagees or dumb hawaiians. Since I am part chinese but look more local than anything else, I was never called a chink or yellow-skinned. Although others in my own school were called that. We were even discriminated against when we left the country to go to town. We were then country-bumpkins and they were the townies. No matter, color, race, region or whatever, people here get discriminated against all the time. How can we say we share the Aloha Spirit when we ourselves have problems in Hawaii without interference from mainlanders? True they bring problems sometimes and bring it upon themselves but the blame does not lie on someone else, it starts from within each of us to stop this BS. The posts here have become bitter and even proves the point of racial tension. But it also shows that mainlanders as well as locals are prejudiced. No one is better than the other. You can go ahead and flame me if you want, whatever, but I know what I am saying here is true. I am not taking sides with anyone since there seems to be no 'right' side to be on. What do we need to finally come together as a single race? A frickin' invasion from aliens?!
I agree with your post! There are comments here that if you were to take them and post them on other places besides Hawaii, it would STILL apply! Hawaii is NOT the only place that has racism, it exists in people's minds, people that believe they are picked on or people who believe they are better than others. I am guilty myself of saying crude remarks when I am put in a bad position by a bad driver. And I comment with a racial slur, No, it does not have to be a white person, it can be any race! What I should say is simply, Dumb driver! All the years of living in Hawaii and being exposed to racial slurs has had an affect on my thinking too. I have lived in California and was discriminated against when they thought I was Mexican. So again, it is not only in Hawaii that racism exists, its everywhere. Choose what will affect your life and forget the petty stuff. Rise above the ignorance of others and you will enjoy life better than the one's who constantly belittle others to make themselves feel better about their own pathetic existence.
Mikey

United States

#134 Dec 28, 2007
Peace Officer wrote:
After reading many of your comments here; it is clear that world peace will be very difficult goal to reach. Shame on you!!!!
We are all human beings!!!! Let's get with the program!!!
Perhaps you should live here a few months before you make such blanket comments. Hawaii Sucks Big Time..

“Hawaiian by choice ”

Since: Dec 07

Where my heart is

#135 Dec 28, 2007
Hokey smokes Bullwinkle, have you ever heard such a load of crap?!
Over the many years I have been around I have learned to approach Americans of all walks of life as equals; with respect for their culture and way of life. I consider myself a native American. No, not Native American, native American with a small "n". I have no attachment to another country; I can't be deported nor stripped of my citizenship for any reason. I feel blessed to live in this country rather than the many others that I have been to.
Even though I was born and raised in California I spent 24 years in Jackson Hole, Wyoming and now reside in Ogden, Utah where I am in my last semester of the Dental Hygiene program at Weber State University. I consider the place I am as home. You never know, it just may be the last stop in life.
As a child I can remember waking up on Christmas Day and being greeted by a houseful of US Marines from Hawaii who were under my dad's command at Camp Pendleton. That day and many others during the year brought great Hawaiian food, music and stories that enlightened a young man from the time he was 8 years old until well into his teens. Since then I have always had an affinity for the island life.
My dreams of sharing an island with Mary Ann aside, I have had the chance of visiting Hawaii only once a few years ago with my wife and son. What a pleasant experience. Everywhere and everyone we met was true to the Aloha spirit that I had always heard about. We rented a car and traveled the roads around the island. We took our time to stop and talk to the locals. The woman at the roadside fruit stand in Haleiwa informed us about the winter weather and big waves that can affect where you might want to live on the North Shore. The cashier at the supermarket informed us that when you see a food item on sale and you have a place to store it; buy it because it might not be there again for awhile. There was an elderly lady who told us about the tamarind seeds used for seasoning. My son eagerly helped her gather some at Waimea Bay.
From our informative Budget Car airport van driver to the UPS driver who took time to direct us from his driver seat to ours while in downtown traffic to the many just plain folk we encountered on the street, we were impressed with the friendliness. And this comes from someone who has worked for 24 years in the hospitality business (from lowly houseman to hotel General Manager).
Now I am seriously considering making a move to Hawaii with my family and new profession. I have been eyeing the jobs offered to Dental Hygienists including the two with the State of Hawaii Health Department and hope that I can be accepted as an American rather than a usurptious "haole" from the mainland. These jobs donít pay much compared to what I can make in Las Vegas or Phoenix, but Itís my desire to work in public health serving the public good rather than being another consummate taker of other people's money.
Waianae seems to offer a more affordable living situation and yet seems to offer the least amount of tolerance for other races. Several blogs seem to say the same thing...stay out of the leeward side. I am only now contacting my sister's in-laws in Captain Cook on the Big Island (I have never met them) to get a feel for how the ordinary citizens of Hawaii feel about newcomers. I would love to converse with others out there either through this blog or via regular e-mail (even snail-mail). Your comments are welcome.

Since: Dec 07

Location hidden

#136 Dec 31, 2007
Its interesting to hear about there are too many Japanese and Chinese in Hawaii and how these races should be removed from the U.S. Well my racist friends, It is the Chinese/Asia that owns the U.S.

http://journals.aol.com/jonesje1/China-Owns-T...

Blame your U.S Government for screwing the American people royally. So be nice to our Asian friends.
a windward oahu haole

Kihei, HI

#137 Jan 3, 2008
from wikipedia...

Haole,(pronounced: How-leh) in the Hawaiian language, means "foreign" or "foreigner"; it can be used in reference to people, plants, and animals. The origins of the word predate the 1778 arrival of Captain James Cook (which is the general accepted date of first contact with westerners), as recorded in several chants stemming from antiquity.

Haole, in its current definition, first became associated with the children of Caucasian immigrants in the early 1820s. It unified the self-identity of these Hawai'i-born children whose parents were as much culturally different as they were similar. For Haole children whose first language was Hawaiian, their parents were either religious missionaries or secular businessmen, and hailed from both sides of the Atlantic ocean, not necessarily speaking the same language or English dialect.

With the first three generations of Haole playing key roles in the rise of the economic and political power shifts that lasted through the turn of the 20th century, Haole evolved into a term that was often used in contempt. Though its first usage in such context had to do with classist origins, it has evolved further to racial meaning, erroneously replacing "malihini" (newcomer) in addressing people who move to Hawai'i from the U.S. mainland. Today it is often applied to those who are of Caucasian ancestry, or those who think or behave in a foreign manner.

In current application, Haole is sometimes, but certainly not always, used as a racially derogatory word and can be used descriptively or derisively
a windward oahu haole

Kihei, HI

#138 Jan 3, 2008
I've been coming to Hawaii since early 90's, firstly as a tourist (windsurfing maui). Now living here for 7 years in Kailua, has sobered me greatly on my initial stoke for Hawaii. I still enjoy it, but it's harder now. I really didn't know how bad it was until I moved here, it took awhile to find out. I came because Hawaii seemed exciting and a cultural experience. I guess it has been a cultural experience, with a bittersweet result.

I am constantly reminded subtlely "Haole go home" not by words so much, but by vibes I get, or the bumper stickers I see. Yet, I kinda understand why that is. I too find myself disliking my own kind. Every year goes by, with my thoughts on the fence of whether to pull out or tough it out. Sometimes I meet locals that are nice to me. Generally they avoid haoles. I am not saying I blame them, it's just how it is.

It's not just the haole thing, it's the lack of good jobs, the lack of income, the higher cost living that was already too high, the impossible housing situation, the crappy government, and so on. the middle class is dying, it's becoming a world of have's and have-nots here. lots of homeless, the state does little/nothing. drugs rampant - escalating violence and theft. Most of these problems plague the locals too.

What can I say or do as a Haole to make it better ? I try to be a "good" haole, and try not offend, not intrude, give respect, wait my turn, and so on. I contribute to the economy, live a fairly humble existence, I don't have lots of money, or vacation rentals. I work 2 jobs to pay the bills. I like hula and play ukulele too !(no roll eyes now!) ;-)

Would me leaving make those that hate me happier, and would it help Hawaii ?

Saying "I'm sorry" for the reasons of the past would do nothing, even though I do feel bad for what has happened to the Hawaiians. They are a proud and wonderful people. I wish it could be different....

Since: Jan 08

kailua

#139 Jan 3, 2008
supamild wrote:
<quoted text>
Try How-lee
nope...it's
Haole,(pronounced: How-leh)
kai

United States

#140 Jan 4, 2008
Not a racist wrote:
Yes, I totally agree that Hawaii is a racist community. It would be much better for us whites if we got rid of all them Japanese here.(sic).
you're one reason why we call whites "HAOLE"
kai

United States

#141 Jan 4, 2008
If you dont like the islands dont even come over here. simple is that.
kale in Oahy

Honolulu, HI

#143 Jan 6, 2008
∑haole (hao-leh)ó white person, Caucasian

If you're one then you would know it. They show Aloha cuz they want your money- cuz you're a tourist...get it?
Janice wrote:
One quick simple question. I was there on vacation last week and I saw this word printed a lot, but didn't hear it spoken: how to you pronounce "haole"?
BTW, I got nothing but ALoha love in Hawaii!
kale in Oahu

Honolulu, HI

#144 Jan 6, 2008
I'm not a Haole, but my husband is...
I'm not affected by the locals but I think my husband feels what you feel. Much alohas for you and you're one of the few to understand the situation. You also sound very smart, too.
a windward oahu haole wrote:
I've been coming to Hawaii since early 90's, firstly as a tourist (windsurfing maui). Now living here for 7 years in Kailua, has sobered me greatly on my initial stoke for Hawaii. I still enjoy it, but it's harder now. I really didn't know how bad it was until I moved here, it took awhile to find out. I came because Hawaii seemed exciting and a cultural experience. I guess it has been a cultural experience, with a bittersweet result.
I am constantly reminded subtlely "Haole go home" not by words so much, but by vibes I get, or the bumper stickers I see. Yet, I kinda understand why that is. I too find myself disliking my own kind. Every year goes by, with my thoughts on the fence of whether to pull out or tough it out. Sometimes I meet locals that are nice to me. Generally they avoid haoles. I am not saying I blame them, it's just how it is.
It's not just the haole thing, it's the lack of good jobs, the lack of income, the higher cost living that was already too high, the impossible housing situation, the crappy government, and so on. the middle class is dying, it's becoming a world of have's and have-nots here. lots of homeless, the state does little/nothing. drugs rampant - escalating violence and theft. Most of these problems plague the locals too.
What can I say or do as a Haole to make it better ? I try to be a "good" haole, and try not offend, not intrude, give respect, wait my turn, and so on. I contribute to the economy, live a fairly humble existence, I don't have lots of money, or vacation rentals. I work 2 jobs to pay the bills. I like hula and play ukulele too !(no roll eyes now!) ;-)
Would me leaving make those that hate me happier, and would it help Hawaii ?
Saying "I'm sorry" for the reasons of the past would do nothing, even though I do feel bad for what has happened to the Hawaiians. They are a proud and wonderful people. I wish it could be different....
listen buddy

Kapaa, HI

#146 Jan 6, 2008
Thomas wrote:
<quoted text>Well I don't know if I'd go that far as to say they own the U.S. yet , but many Americans are seduced into buying cheaper items that are made in China thinking they are getting a good deal when in fact they are buying poorly made crap and in many cases made by Chinese slave labor , corporate profit is more important than American jobs , but when people can not find work and are loosing their homes that will be the time there will be a very big change in America with a revolution and mass executions for treason !
America is a capitalist country. We're not obligated to take care of one another, especially douchebags such as yourself. If you want to be taken care of by the government then maybe you should move to a communist dictatorship, because the rhetoric you just typed out is the same type of BS that communists use to brainwash people with.
kai

United States

#147 Jan 7, 2008
I'm from Maui and I just work in NY. any questions??
Thomas wrote:
<quoted text>I see your adddress is New York , well I can truely say that is one island I never care to visit again and that is Manhantan Island crowded , crime , dirt ! Give me the Hawaiian Islands any day !
Who is the racist here

Makawao, HI

#151 Jan 8, 2008
Hawaii racist against non-locals? Please! grow up a little the ignorance of racism is just that ignorant and people who come here with a pre-conception of how things are will only see what they want. For the 7th or 8th grade girl who was pushed down a hill, sorry but teen girls can be mean and for all anyone knows someone thinks their boyfriend likes you or any other number of things... The word Haole is not a racist word it is not derogatory if someone calls you haole prefaced with F'n they aren't being racist but you have pissed them off.
The Japanese caused this? again please quit being so ignorant Hawaii is truly a melting pot of cultures much like NYC, Toronto and London immigrants come here with cultural stigmas that are hard to break (but they are not local, as seen by them being immigrants). Hawaii has Koreans, Germans, Russians, Brazilians, Hawaiians, Samoans, Tahitians, Australians, Canadians, Americans, Filipinos the list goes on.
For people to think the the minority of people in an area equals a majority is crazy and completely exposes the lack of understanding, and possibly the age, of the posters to this topic. After all if I were to decide that the people that have posted here spoke for America as a whole it would mean that America is a Japanese hating country that believes that anyone that is not white hates anyone that is. Which I know is actually false, therefore I can acknowledge that there is ignorance everywhere and recists everywhere but also know that it reflects purely on them and not on the area as a whole.
mackfifti

Honolulu, HI

#152 Jan 8, 2008
Yes the people are racist. So what. The only thing I don't like is when islanders stare like they want to fight. I think you islanders do this because you are just bored with your lives.
mackfifti

Honolulu, HI

#153 Jan 8, 2008
Can someone explain this?
kai

United States

#154 Jan 9, 2008
i was born and raised on Maui and am working on the mainland now but its funny how, once you out of your country or state, you tend to idealize your home. Being as asian in the mainland U.S. usnt exactly enjoyable. Haoles go to hawaii and for the first time face being a minority and they start whining about it as "racism" without realizing that it is just a function of being a minority...at least its direct in hawaii. on the mainland its subtle and deep, desperately hidden to uphold everyone's ego as "non racist" If you're really concerned about racial inequality, I hope some haoles go back to the mainland and start lobbying against racial stereotypes against hispanics and asians...
I have no problem with haoles by the way...i get along with them.
mackfifti

Honolulu, HI

#155 Jan 9, 2008
Kai: If you're really concerned about racial inequality, I hope some haoles go back to the mainland......

Its obvious you're racist for two reasons.

-You justify racism as long as its direct.
-You stereotype caucasian as Haole.

Too much "small kine tinking"
I don't like the fact that the local people in Hawaii have to always want to beat up the "haoles" and act like a**holes. Quit calling people out for no reason, act like that in Long Beach or south LA and you racist islanders would be getting shot.
kai

United States

#156 Jan 10, 2008
if you know a little about Hawaiian history you'll get it. I know sometimes the hostilities are built upon on nothing(...)
geno vinelli

Kailua Kona, HI

#157 Jan 11, 2008
Blaster wrote:
To answer your question, Yes Hawaii is the most racist state in the union. Sorry.
Blaster should blast his sorry ass out of this state.He must be a skinhead , nazi or KKK.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Honolulu Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Trump doesn't sleep with his wife EVER___He Mus... 1 min American Infidel 25
Mr. President, Donald Trump (Aug '15) 2 hr Laakea 1,342
News Hawaii Republican resigns from party after crit... 2 hr American_Infidel 8
Bwa ha ha ha (Feb '16) 22 hr Auntie Slippah 35
Why do Filipinos consider themselves as Pacific... (Oct '08) Sun FUKFILIPINOS 518
Add A Word, Drop, Drop A Word (May '11) Sun Steven Bannon 338
add a word/drop a word and 'stuff' Sun District 1 395

Honolulu Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Honolulu Mortgages