Mystery relic in search of a home - Hawaii Features

It's the dream of anybody who haunts Goodwill, Salvation Army, antique stores and yard sales: That item you picked up for a few dollars might be worth thousands or, better yet, have some sort of historical significance. Full Story

“Kokokahi -We are all one blood”

Since: Mar 08

United States

#1 Jan 10, 2010
" ... a secret gift of royalist solidarity from Queen Victoria"??? "Maybe Victoria sent it to the deposed Hawaiian queen as a kind of royal-sister solidarity gift."

That's a fabulous conspiracy theory, and typical of the genre. Total baloney. So far as I'm aware (I'd like to be corrected if I'm wrong), the real Queen (Victoria) never communicated with the ex-queen (Liliuokalani) after the revolution of 1893.

But more importantly, in Fall 1894, after the Republic of Hawaii sent out letters requesting formal diplomatic recognition de jure, Queen Victoria personally signed a lovely letter to Hawaii President Sanford B. Dole recognizing the Republic as the rightful government; and she signed her letter "Your friend, Victoria" Photos of 20 such letters personally signed by emperors, kings, queens, and presidents, including Queen Victoria, can be seen at
http://tinyurl.com/4wtwdz

Royal-sister solidarity gift? Total nonsense.
Sarah

El Dorado Hills, CA

#2 Jan 10, 2010
A great piece, a wonderful mystery and good history.

The man got lucky and found a piece of a life time. Happy hunting to all those collectors out there as they really preserve our history.
duhh

Sonoma, CA

#5 Jan 10, 2010
i going goodwill right away. maybe can score big time like this guy. eh ; tell you what i give you 101 for your treasure..
joyst1babe

Honolulu, HI

#6 Jan 10, 2010
By the time historians at either Bishop Museum or Iolani Palace realize it's a authentic item... it'll be too late, and someone else will have bought it and used it as nite stand!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Honolulu Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Last Post Wins (Apr '11) 1 hr -Lily- 2,240
HPD officer charged in domestic abuse 8 hr Joe Balls 1
TOP 100 THINGS you should never say to ASIAN girls 8 hr Joe Balls 5
Lava flow 11 hr Guru 39
Har har har har (Apr '14) 12 hr Komm Susser Todd 55
complete obama meltdown in 6 days! 17 hr Joe Balls 31
Michael Brown a Thug Like Trayvon Thu District 1 169
Honolulu Dating
Find my Match

Honolulu People Search