Mystery relic in search of a home - H...

Mystery relic in search of a home - Hawaii Features

There are 4 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Jan 10, 2010, titled Mystery relic in search of a home - Hawaii Features. In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

It's the dream of anybody who haunts Goodwill, Salvation Army, antique stores and yard sales: That item you picked up for a few dollars might be worth thousands or, better yet, have some sort of historical significance.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

“Kokokahi -We are all one blood”

Since: Mar 08

United States

#1 Jan 10, 2010
" ... a secret gift of royalist solidarity from Queen Victoria"??? "Maybe Victoria sent it to the deposed Hawaiian queen as a kind of royal-sister solidarity gift."

That's a fabulous conspiracy theory, and typical of the genre. Total baloney. So far as I'm aware (I'd like to be corrected if I'm wrong), the real Queen (Victoria) never communicated with the ex-queen (Liliuokalani) after the revolution of 1893.

But more importantly, in Fall 1894, after the Republic of Hawaii sent out letters requesting formal diplomatic recognition de jure, Queen Victoria personally signed a lovely letter to Hawaii President Sanford B. Dole recognizing the Republic as the rightful government; and she signed her letter "Your friend, Victoria" Photos of 20 such letters personally signed by emperors, kings, queens, and presidents, including Queen Victoria, can be seen at
http://tinyurl.com/4wtwdz

Royal-sister solidarity gift? Total nonsense.
Sarah

Los Angeles, CA

#2 Jan 10, 2010
A great piece, a wonderful mystery and good history.

The man got lucky and found a piece of a life time. Happy hunting to all those collectors out there as they really preserve our history.
duhh

Napa, CA

#5 Jan 10, 2010
i going goodwill right away. maybe can score big time like this guy. eh ; tell you what i give you 101 for your treasure..
joyst1babe

Kailua, HI

#6 Jan 10, 2010
By the time historians at either Bishop Museum or Iolani Palace realize it's a authentic item... it'll be too late, and someone else will have bought it and used it as nite stand!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Honolulu Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Expired safety sticker can be grounds for tow -... (Oct '09) 2 min Shyit whole Hawaii 40
Jane Fonda, Looking great and strong at 80 2 hr Joe Balls 8
Add A Word, Drop, Drop A Word (May '11) 3 hr So_da_lish_us 935
add a word/drop a word and 'stuff' (Nov '16) 3 hr So_da_lish_us 1,031
Wut Da Fuh? (May '17) 12 hr Joe Balls 74
Preacher Jim (Feb '11) 17 hr Too Bad 634
Mr. President, Donald Trump (Aug '15) 21 hr Leeward Outlier 2,888

Honolulu Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Honolulu Mortgages