Jobs, not civil unions, is focus, Lingle says - Hawaii News

Gov. Linda Lingle is worried that the civil union bill now awaiting action in the state Senate will be so controversial, it should be put off until 2011. Full Story
The Green Fairy

Laguna Niguel, CA

#21 Jan 9, 2010
Have you guys realize how the pink dollar could fix your state economy.
kcni

Mililani, HI

#22 Jan 9, 2010
I have a full time job and 2 part time jobs. I sit on the board for 3 non-profit organizations. I have a spouse and 11 year-old child. I find time to work out, have leisure time with my family, read books, attend social functions, and go to church. With sufficient planning and organization, I can do all of these things and I can do them well. I would hope that our legislators, in similar fashion, would also be capable of focusing on multiple issues in the same legislative session.
alice

Hanalei, HI

#23 Jan 9, 2010
kcni wrote:
I have a full time job and 2 part time jobs. I sit on the board for 3 non-profit organizations. I have a spouse and 11 year-old child. I find time to work out, have leisure time with my family, read books, attend social functions, and go to church. With sufficient planning and organization, I can do all of these things and I can do them well. I would hope that our legislators, in similar fashion, would also be capable of focusing on multiple issues in the same legislative session.
well said and thanks for serving our community so well!
Mind your own business

Ewa Beach, HI

#24 Jan 9, 2010
The truth is, as evident in many gay-friendly destinations, gay marriage is huge business with the potential to bring in lots of money that will increase hotel occupancy, stimulate the economy here, and make the islands a premier destination for visitors dual incomes (and not to mention their families and friends).

Right now the state relies heavily on tourism, and the state's shortfall was caused by low hotel occupancy rates and fewer terrorists. Without the draw of gaming which is legalized in other places, and the lack of theme parks, there is no other reason for tourists to pay the enormous fees required to visit our islands.

But if gay marriage, not just civil unions, were sanctioned we could be an international wedding destination that could rival some of the large cities providing accommodations for those seeking to honor personal commitments to partners of the choice.

In this world, money talks. Get over your personal objections to the idea simply because it is not your cup of tea. Gay couples (especially male-male) on average have more earning and spending power than traditional couples, and the money is just as good. Once the entire economy flourishes, it's a win-win situation for everyone with no need for furloughs and dipping into emergency funds. So what if you see more handholding between same-sex couples in the island? It's still ALOHA after all, isn't that what we like to call ourselves -- the ALOHA STATE?
alice

Hanalei, HI

#25 Jan 9, 2010
I am indifferent to this issue.
Mind your own business

Ewa Beach, HI

#26 Jan 9, 2010
Oops, I meant tourists, not "terrorists." Darn voice-recognition software... LOL!

Oh well, I should proofread better before hitting the post comment button. Have a great weekend!
Mind your own business

Ewa Beach, HI

#27 Jan 9, 2010
Liberace wrote:
I need a job.
The real Liberace was wealthy beyond your wildest dreams! He didn't need a job...
ANTIE PILAU

Antioch, CA

#28 Jan 9, 2010
focus on the home les
Mind your own business

Ewa Beach, HI

#29 Jan 9, 2010
alice wrote:
Is that because it is not an issue that pertains to you personally? So you're not gay, good for you! But since you're Eurasian, that means you can attack native Hawaiian issues?
Mind your own business

Ewa Beach, HI

#30 Jan 9, 2010
ANTIE PILAU wrote:
focus on the home les
They can't help the problem, only make it worse for everyone else.
Matt

Kaneohe, HI

#31 Jan 9, 2010
Gay civil union/marriage =$$$$ for the state's economy. Simple economics, simple step toward equality.

Here solve two pressing issues with one law.

Otherwise we should look at taxing those 'hidden' incomes that religious organization get (donations, land rental, absent property taxes etc).

Why should my business have growing tax bill, while New Hope, the catholic church + others pay less/or nothing - that's equality?

And yes there are 'businesses' with INCOMES and EXPENSES......

Equal representation, equal taxation = Equality for all!

Since: Oct 09

Honolulu, HI

#32 Jan 9, 2010
It is a shame that Lingle's OWN homophobia blinds her to the fact that passing the Civil Unions Bill will create jobs (from all the celebrations of Love) and then there is the income for the state from just the issuance of the CU licenses. Never mind the LGBT tourism dollars ...
Ironicus

Ewa Beach, HI

#33 Jan 9, 2010
How worried is Governor Lingle about JOBS when she's screwing around with the rail project...the only major job-creating project in Hawaii for the next ten years???????
Nativeboy

Kaneohe, HI

#34 Jan 9, 2010
this is such a sad ploy by the Governor, lets stir the pot one last time to see how much damage she can do to the State before she leaves office for good.

She has Lied to not only the LGBT community but EVERY community her actions against the schools is criminal maybe she is hoping that if she keeps the childern poorly educated they wont realize how she tried to destroy their education.

Her inability to make any sound decision in the last 2 years is evident. So Lingle has done the last thing that she can.

Our Governor picked the most controversial topic and and put up there with her inability to balance a budget,(if she wanted she could get all the funding she need from DC) and basically call our state legislators and Senators incompetent.

anther smoke screen to take the focus off her own inability to govern.
SpeakingTruth

Kihei, HI

#35 Jan 9, 2010
I AGREE WITH GOV LINGLE...Legislators need to focus on the budget and put civil union (HB444) to the side this session. Seems like Legislators are more focused on the longevity of their political careers than to use wisdom and true leadershop. Civil Union is controversial and legislators should not cowtail to the gay community's plea that "they have the right to marry because they love each other"...GOOD GRIEF...why are the legislator trying to ram this issue through this session.
SpeakingTruth

Kihei, HI

#36 Jan 9, 2010
kcni wrote:
Yes you can do a good job doing what you need to do, but our legislators cannot because they do not think for themselves, they follow other people's instruction and I kinda think they are not truthful...so it takes more time for them to do what they need to do. They CANNOT handle civil union and fiscal crisis issues in the same session. One thing at a time...so which would you choose...I choose fiscal.
Hilo boy

Keaau, HI

#37 Jan 9, 2010
Jo-Ann Adams wrote:
Gov. Linda Lingle told reporters: "In the middle of the biggest economic crisis in Hawaii's history, it is a most inappropriate bill to take up this year".
In fact, it is a most appropriate year to take up this bill! The bill is just two floor votes away from passage. If we put it off to 2011, we have to introduce a new bill and go through the committee hearing process all over again. In 2009 we had 4 hours of testimony in the House and 18 hours in the Senate. 22 hours of testimony IS a distraction! Finish the job NOW!!
If the economy is the benchmark, the civil union bill is expected to have a slight positive economic impact according to Sumner LaCroix, UH Professor in Economics. Therefore, we should pass the civil unions bill quickly, as Senator Taniguchi suggests, and the Governor should sign it immediately!
Finish the job MOW its starting to stink and needs a washing
Poi

San Leandro, CA

#38 Jan 9, 2010
As currently proposed, there is nothing about "civil rights" in this or any other proposition in the US today.

This is all an attempt to redefine SPECIAL rights for one particular aberrant sexual behavior, that of homosexual couples.

A honest and true CIVIL RIGHTS law would allow ANY and ALL adults to form a legal relationship. You cannot pass a homosexual couple law without instantly discriminating against polygamous groups, sterile incestuous adults, transgender combinations or communal organizations.

If adults are going to be free to do what they want, then so should all adults, not just one vocal group.
Poi

San Leandro, CA

#39 Jan 9, 2010
Michael Golojuch Jr wrote:
It is a shame that Lingle's OWN homophobia blinds her to the fact that passing the Civil Unions Bill will create jobs (from all the celebrations of Love) and then there is the income for the state from just the issuance of the CU licenses. Never mind the LGBT tourism dollars ...
Civil Unions bill, as written now, is discriminatory and bigoted and hateful against other adults who want to have their own relationships as well.

The special rights for homosexuals movement would be like blacks in the 60s fighting only for the rights of blacks while telling Asians and Hispanics to go fight for their own rights.

That would not have been true human "civll rights" and neither is this.
oceangirl

Kapolei, HI

#40 Jan 9, 2010
alice wrote:
That the last thing this island needs it be like selling our soul for a dollar

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Honolulu Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Lava flow 15 min Guru 325
Isle housing bottom seen - Business (Apr '09) 1 hr Guru 61,963
OBAMA COUNTDOWN for DAYS LEFT In Office UNTIL N... (Jan '14) 2 hr Guru 1,715
What Hawaii is really like. (Jan '08) 4 hr JRB 234
Al Sharpton, Preserver of the Victim Mentality 5 hr JRB 48
Joe Arpaio and Guru Both Are Both Present Day Q... 6 hr JRB 6
Alice has worms. (Apr '10) 12 hr Mayhem 230
Honolulu Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web