First Prev
of 2
Next Last
joyce Mandel

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#1 Mar 19, 2010
I was wondering if anybody remembers camp toloa in waymart pa? The camp was there in the early 60"s. If so please email me at [email protected] Put toloa in the subject area.
Thanks Joyce Mandel
CAMP TO-LOA

Saint Paul, MN

#2 Jul 8, 2010
joyce Mandel wrote:
I was wondering if anybody remembers camp toloa in waymart pa? The camp was there in the early 60"s. If so please email me at [email protected] Put toloa in the subject area.
Thanks Joyce Mandel
I was a camper at To-Loa in 1960 and 1961. I was in Bunk 18 both years. [email protected]
Dana Fredericks

Lincoln, NE

#3 Sep 12, 2010
My Dad was Carlton Fredericks. My family owned the camp in 1964. You can reach me @ [email protected]
Dana Fredericks
Dana Fredericks

Lincoln, NE

#4 Sep 12, 2010
joyce Mandel wrote:
I was wondering if anybody remembers camp toloa in waymart pa? The camp was there in the early 60"s. If so please email me at [email protected] Put toloa in the subject area.
Thanks Joyce Mandel
My Dad was Carlton Fredericks. My family owned the camp in 1964. You can reach me @ [email protected]
Dana Fredericks
CAMP TO-LOA

Saint Paul, MN

#5 Sep 13, 2010
As noted , I went to To-Loa in 1960 when the Mayersons owned it and in 1961 when Irv Irwin ran it.I recall NY Times ads after Carlton Fredericks took it over and renamed it. Does anyone know when it closed and what happened to the property.I could not find it on a map but remembered it was near Whites Crossing. Charles Rader [email protected]
Harriet

Huntington Station, NY

#6 Oct 20, 2010
It was North of Carbondale, I think.
Karen Roberts

Plant City, FL

#7 Nov 17, 2010
I went to Camp To-Loa for the whole summer of 1965 when I was nine. Mom went to hear Carlton Fredricks speak and won the raffle offered at the program...it was for expense-paid summer camp!
jessica grahm

Camarillo, CA

#8 May 3, 2011
I went to Camp To-Loa from the summer of 1952 to about 1958. I started out with the youngest kids cabin and worked my way up from there. [email protected]
Fritz Kreisler

San Marcos, CA

#9 Jul 22, 2011
I went to Camp To-Loa for several years, from about age 10 until being a waiter there in 1960, I believe. Some best memories are there. It'd be fun to see more alumni find this site. Anyone have photos?
Carol Price

Binghamton, NY

#10 Dec 2, 2011
I went to Camp To-Loa in the 50's. It was owned by Shirley and Lou Mayerson. Irv Irwin ran the camp in the late 50 into the early 60's. My mother was the camp nurse. it was sold to Carlton Fredricks in the early 60's. I visited Waymart, Pa and found the camp in the mid 80's. Havent been back since.
Kim McPherson

West Palm Beach, FL

#11 Jun 23, 2012
My brother and I went to camp toloa in 1964 or 1965. My mother was the camp mother and lived in the health center with the nurse. I remember my brother spent more time in clinic. I also remember the riding instructor, an elderly man...he was thrown from one of the horses on a trail ride!
Neil Marks

New York, NY

#12 Aug 24, 2012
My sister Wendy and I went to Toloa while the Meyersons owned it in the late '50's and early '60's.Since the owners were Christian Scientists and most of the kids were Jewish, the religious services on Sunday tended toward ethical culture/unitarian. God was never mentioned and every service ended with the hymn "No Man is an Island". It was quite beautiful.
Every year there was an all camp gold rush competition where dozens of gold painted rocks were hidden around the camp and each team raced around to find the most.
The dining room was always a lively affair with the girls on one side and the boys on the other. The girls often sang "A Man Without a Woman(is like a ship without a sail) and then each side would shouting out one person or another.
One time, the entire camp was taken to the Fairgrounds to see Pete Seeger(while he was still blacklisted.
Gary Garb

Bensalem, PA

#13 Apr 8, 2013
I was in Camp Toloa in 1946 at age 6. Following Neil Marks' comments, I guess I was the perfect camper. My family was a Jewish-Christian Science mix. I don't recall any religious services, but I do remember that it was a very friendly environment. I was traumatized the summer before in another camp by several horrific experiences and was terrified when I arrived at Toloa. But I quickly realized that Toloa was a safe and comfortable scene and managed to enjoy it to a degree. It was my last camp experience.
jennifer rains proper

Hackensack, NJ

#14 Apr 22, 2013
Neil Marks wrote:
My sister Wendy and I went to Toloa while the Meyersons owned it in the late '50's and early '60's.Since the owners were Christian Scientists and most of the kids were Jewish, the religious services on Sunday tended toward ethical culture/unitarian. God was never mentioned and every service ended with the hymn "No Man is an Island". It was quite beautiful.
Every year there was an all camp gold rush competition where dozens of gold painted rocks were hidden around the camp and each team raced around to find the most.
The dining room was always a lively affair with the girls on one side and the boys on the other. The girls often sang "A Man Without a Woman(is like a ship without a sail) and then each side would shouting out one person or another.
One time, the entire camp was taken to the Fairgrounds to see Pete Seeger(while he was still blacklisted.
Do you rember Bert Sommer andJohnny Kirp?
jennifer rains proper

Hackensack, NJ

#15 Apr 22, 2013
I was also throw from a horse but stll loved to ride.Rember Linda Irwin,Bert Sommer and Johnny Kirp? I remember Neil Marks does he rember me?
Neil Marks

Bronx, NY

#16 Apr 23, 2013
I do remember you Jennifer Raines. IAs best as one remembers after more than 50 years, you were pretty and petite. also remember Johnny Kirp and his sister Nancy (who was a counselor with Gail Papish of the older girls). Every year, they would perform "Hobo Skiwatindatin" dressed like Judy Garland hoboes.
Johnny was a bunk mate and an Alpha type. I heard he had a rather tragic ending. Bert was there for the last season I was there.
Do you remember Molly the nurse> She was so sweet that I wwould go out of my way to pretend there was something wrong.
There was also a candy canteen into which our parents put money into our accounts. That's where I first discovered "nutty buddies" which were premade icecream cones covered in some nut crunch
Harriet

Elmhurst, NY

#17 Jun 15, 2013
Linda Irwin was in my bunk along with Bobbi Kalmanson. I remember her well. I have some photos of some of my bunk mates, still. To me, Toloa was the best thing that happened in my childhood the camp an d my counselor, Leslie Diamond. I remember so many wonderful things from this camp. We were all so unhappy when the Meyersons left. It was never the same. They did come back for one last summer.
Larry Jacobs

Orlando, FL

#18 Sep 3, 2013
jennifer rains proper wrote:
<quoted text>Do you rember Bert Sommer andJohnny Kirp?
Hey Jennifer, I've been looking for you ever since I ran into your cousins at a restaurant near Teaneck where I now live. I was told you also lived in Teaneck but I couldn't locate you. Both Bert and Johnny have died. Bert through liver being destroyed by heroin use and Johnny by a bullet in the head. That also had something to do with drugs according to the New York Times but probably from the selling end. That was back in the late 60's. I ran into Bert when he was starring on broadway in "hair." Then ran into him years later in L.A. Also ran into him in central park one afternoon when I happened to have been with Danny Reck...another Toloan. Life is getting short. Contact me Jennier at [email protected] Would love to chat.
Larry
Larry Jacobs

Orlando, FL

#19 Sep 3, 2013
Actually I still live in Teaneck, N.J. Don't know why it posted Florida.
Larry Jacobs

Orlando, FL

#20 Sep 4, 2013
Carol Price wrote:
I went to Camp To-Loa in the 50's. It was owned by Shirley and Lou Mayerson. Irv Irwin ran the camp in the late 50 into the early 60's. My mother was the camp nurse. it was sold to Carlton Fredricks in the early 60's. I visited Waymart, Pa and found the camp in the mid 80's. Havent been back since.
I remember you and your mom molly and wasn't Andrea your sister?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Honesdale Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Family Searching for Answers After Son is Shot ... Dec '15 Susan Hull 1
Old Site of Camp Shawnee (Aug '06) Nov '15 Russell Fire 870
Dunedin, Brian Kelly (Dec '14) Nov '15 terri 2
Dunedin (Jun '06) Jun '15 Vince 54
News Tough Times Hit Shelter (Oct '10) Apr '15 someone who sees ... 9
Free Charity Cars Website looking for Local Car... (Nov '10) Mar '15 Trineice 2
Review: Prompton Power Sales (Mar '15) Mar '15 TPP 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Honesdale Mortgages