Karen

Bayonne, NJ

#41 Mar 7, 2011
BMC-It was interesting to read what information you had on the Averys. I went to Evergreen Lodge most of the 50's and 60's. My parents and their friends started noticing a change in the way they were being treated and most of them went elsewhere. Some of my greatest memories growing up were being there. My sister was close to the Orr family and dated Kip. If you know I'd like to hear how the rest of all the Avery cousins are doing. I hung out with them every yr. Great memories. As I remember we always had a rivalry with the Central House. Hope to hear back.
Alishan

Kendall Park, NJ

#42 Mar 30, 2011
My family, from Nassua County, would go to Dunedin the week before Labor day in the 60's and early 70's.
A bunch of my father's coworkers and their families would all go during the same week.
We would stay in one of the side units.
I remember Chuck and Seal, the bar below the big house, the pinball game room next to the bar, the rowboats with the cement filled paint can anchors, catching baby bullhead catfish hiding under the rowboats, gokarts, the general store, shuffleboard next to the front parking lot, searching for frogs, crayfish and snakes in the lake and woods next to the A frame house.
Another fun thing for the kids was driving around at dusk looking for deer. Now that I live in PA, I don't have to look for them anymore. They are all around munching on my hostas!
I stopped by in the early 2000s and the place looked run down. The pool was green with algae and the area generally unkempt.
BMC

Rutland, VT

#43 Mar 30, 2011
Karen - I wish I could give you more information but I don't know the extended Avery family. Mr & Mrs Avery's sons are still in Beach Lake, mostly across from Evergreen Lodge. As they live across from one another the area is now referred to as Avery's Corner. As for the Orr family, they are probably the second biggest family in the area behind the Avery family. I don't know anyone in the family though.

Alishan - if you get a chance, take another ride past the Old Dunedins. The main house in under complete renovation and will become the full time home for the new owners (who also own Pine Grove). The property and the pool are in wonderful shape!! Bob Kuester passed away several months ago, I'm hoping his daughter will sell the property to the owners of Pine Grove as they have done such a great job rehabbing two properties already (Pine Grove and 1/2 of what you would have known as Dunedin's - the main house and the cabins behind the main house)!! Kuester's has owned the old Dunedin cabins that ran along the side of his bar, all the way down to the lake. They are in complete disrepair and will most likely need to be torn down. They are a complete eye sore!! I think many locals agree with me and hope to see the property change hands so it can be restored to the family resort area we all remember.
Ken Rehders

Ocean View, NJ

#44 Jul 13, 2011
My parents took my siblings and myself to Dunedin for many summers while we were growing up in Yonkers, NY, mid to late sixties and early seventies...George Campo owned it, and it was managed by Lucille and Chuck Johnston.....I remember the go-carts, ice cream place, rowboats, pool, softball games against Central House, game room, outdoor movies, dining room and Debbie Johnston, the managers Daughter who i had a major crush on.....great, innocent times. I drove back there in 1986 with my wife and oldest son when i was in the area, and the place looked the same--I couldn't believe how small the pool looked!!
Jim W

Ocean Grove, NJ

#45 Jan 12, 2012
I stayed at Evergreen Lodge through the 70's and 80's. A buch of families rented the large cabin by the tennis courts. Rick would take us on his land and we would shoot our shotguns and rifles at a junk pile he made for us. We would also go to his uncles milk farm and pick up fresh milk for the guests. My best memory is when we went to the go karts, and then accross the road to the family ice cream place. Rick tipped the waitress $5.00 in pennies to annoy her. The family was all great.
Mike B

Little Falls, NJ

#46 Jan 12, 2012
Jim I too stayed at Evergreen Lodge during most of the seventies and eighties. It always seemed as though Ricky was the entertainment director. He would always include us in all the activities.
I remember one night him and I brought 2 of the waitresses to Monticello racetrack what a great night we had.
I had a lot of great times at Evergreen Lodge!
Liz Edwards

Valley Stream, NY

#47 Jun 1, 2012
I have such happy memories of going to Dunedin. My family and all the friends would rent cabins every July. Sometimes we would go for two weeks and that would be amazing. I remember watching the 1st Moon landing on the TV in the main house because the cabins did have have TVs at the time. We would go horseback riding, play bingo at the firehouse and just swim all day long. At night we'd walk up the the Atlantic Gas Station to the ice cream store and get a two scoop mint chocolate chip cone and it was only .20 -- GOOD TIMES!!
Marie Meszler Gunter

Aiken, SC

#48 Nov 17, 2012
The night before last "the Bernadette" caught on fire and was lost.
Mike B

Little Falls, NJ

#49 Nov 17, 2012
Michael Bevins wrote:
<quoted text> Donna I spoke to Patti today, she does not remember Brenda either. She would love to she those pics and will ask the Wallaces if they remember.
Hi Donna
I just got an update in this post and started to read the old posts.
Did you ever post any of the pictures you had?
I'm pretty sure I remember your brother Louis. I think he stayed there with a bunch of his friends that I hung out with
Do you have a cousin Anthony I think he had a younger sister too.
Karen

Bronx, NY

#50 Jun 30, 2013
BMC-I was just looking back at past comments and you mentioned your name is Bernie. I'm now wondering if we knew each other. Were you originally guests there with your parents and stayed at one of the cottages next to the main house (across from the Avery cousins house)? I remember someone my age that eventually moved to Beach Lake with his parents. If that sounds right, what were your parent's names. That would help maybe if I'm remembering correctly.
Bmc

Ardsley, NY

#51 Jul 3, 2013
Karen, sorry wrong Bernie. I was a waitress at Evergreen Lodge for several summers in the late 80's and early 90's.
Kerrie Maher

South Richmond Hill, NY

#52 Dec 16, 2013
I too spent many Summers at Evergreen Lodge. Love the memory moments. Wish I could bring my family there one more time. Very sorry to hear about Mr. Avery. Ricky was always very good to our clan of kids and so hope he is doing well.
AJM

Toms River, NJ

#53 Jun 5, 2015
hi all, I grew up on Beach Lake and lived in the A Frame on the lake which my aunt and uncle built and owned since the 60's. Greatest place on earth I must say and I miss it every day. Strange to see it now with different owners but glad to see its still there.
Vince

Coral Gables, FL

#54 Jun 20, 2015
When I was a kid, back in the 1950s and 60s we went to the Dunedin Hotel at Beach Lake every summer. It was a family trip, with my uncle Jim and Aunt Rita and Uncles Howard as well as my parents. I think my family went there even before I was born. Great memories. I remember the Bailey name, but definitely remember the Campos. The highlight for a kid was being selected to walk around ringing the bell announcing lunch and dinner. The row boats were great. Blueberry patches (with snakes). Softball games nearby. The Indian burial ground. What great memories.
Joanie K NY

West Palm Beach, FL

#61 Apr 4, 2016
Michael B wrote:
Does anyone know what became of the Evergreen lodge or the family who ran the place?
It became a sober house. You can look it up online. New Beginnings Ministry. Not sure where most of the family is, but a few still live across the street. My friend and neighbor growing up married one of the sons. Fond memories going there as a kid.
kellysgreen111

Clifton Heights, PA

#62 Nov 6, 2016
Lisa wrote:
Hello all,
As a child my family spent every summer at "Dunedin" which was located across from The Carousel and next door to Kusters Lounge. Twenty plus years have passed... I had heard a while back that the owners had died and the property was sold to Kusters. I have my own family now and was thinking back fondly to the fun summers that we enjoyed at "Dundein" and was wondering if anyone knew if this resort has opened again.
Thanks in advance...
that place was bought out by pine grove cottages 10 years ago, kusters is not opened he died, pine grove is the best being going up to beach lake since 1961 my father since 1935, what great times
kellysgreen111

Clifton Heights, PA

#63 Nov 6, 2016
AJM wrote:
hi all, I grew up on Beach Lake and lived in the A Frame on the lake which my aunt and uncle built and owned since the 60's. Greatest place on earth I must say and I miss it every day. Strange to see it now with different owners but glad to see its still there.
hi, was just at the a-frame house this past labor day weekend i love pine grove cottages bill,an donna have done a great job fixing up that area of beach lake
Joanie K

West Palm Beach, FL

#64 Nov 27, 2016
Michael B wrote:
Does anyone know what became of the Evergreen lodge or the family who ran the place?
The original owners, I believe, have passed, but the children (and grandchildren) still live in the area. I went every summer as a kid, such fond memories. The tire swing, the cow bell for meals, the hay ride, square dance, and 'game room" lol LOVED the soda machine with the red cream soda...
Karen

Milford, CT

#65 Nov 28, 2016
Joanie K wrote:
<quoted text>

The original owners, I believe, have passed, but the children (and grandchildren) still live in the area. I went every summer as a kid, such fond memories. The tire swing, the cow bell for meals, the hay ride, square dance, and 'game room" lol LOVED the soda machine with the red cream soda...
When did you go there? We went in late August thru Labor Day weekend in the 50s and 60s.
BMC

New York, NY

#66 Nov 28, 2016
Joanie K wrote:
<quoted text>

Mrs Avery is alive and well!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Honesdale Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Randall elston Apr 9 idk 3
Succas Apr 4 Al Busillo contra... 1
Circling helicopter (Jul '17) Apr 4 Al Busilo contractor 6
News Diverse point of view City woman works for raci... (Apr '12) Apr 3 Al Busillo contra... 3
camp toloa (Mar '10) Mar 25 FritzKreisler 31
News New warden, deputy warden appointed at SCI-Waymart Mar 22 showard 1
News Snowy Owl Recovering at Center in the Poconos Feb '18 kimilyn 1

Honesdale Jobs

Personal Finance

Honesdale Mortgages