Bronx, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 3, 2006

Hello all,
As a child my family spent every summer at "Dunedin" which was located across from The Carousel and next door to Kusters Lounge. Twenty plus years have passed... I had heard a while back that the owners had died and the property was sold to Kusters. I have my own family now and was thinking back fondly to the fun summers that we enjoyed at "Dundein" and was wondering if anyone knew if this resort has opened again.
Thanks in advance...
Frank Jellison

Portland, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2007

My father began going to "Dunedin on the Lake" in the 1930's. I first went their in the early 1950's as a small boy. It was then owned by a Mr. Bailey. At some point it was purchased by George Campo a retired MCY policeman. He added a swimming pool and some cabins on the side closest to the Tuscarora Lodge. I went back there in the early 1960's as a teenager. It's been over 40 years since I was there and as I now live in oregon I will be some before I return. I would love to see the place as it holds fond memories for me.

Frank Jellison
Salem Oregon
Dan

Greeley, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2007

The pool and cabins are still there, and I believe that Kusters manages it. The village has not seen the building craze that much of the area has been exposed to over the past 20 or so years. Because of this, I would guess that you would still recognize many of the locations that you remember from the Dunedin days. If you ever plan on going back, I'd recommend staying at Central House, which is right in the village (about 2 blocks from Dunedin) and has all of the modern amenities, and beautiful grounds as well.

Dan
Hawley, Pennsylvania
Rita

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 29, 2007

HI Lisa,
I have been going to Beach lake for the past 30+ years and we stay at PIne Grove Cottages which is next door to the old"Dunedin" . Pine grove cottages had a new owner a few years ago and 2 years ago they also bought 1/2 of the dunedin property from Keuster. They now own the main building which is very run down and they will be gradually fixing up. THey have the pool crystal clear and just rennovated the cabins behind the main house, which are really nice inside. It is now part of Pine Grove Cottages.
Lisa wrote:
Hello all,
As a child my family spent every summer at "Dunedin" which was located across from The Carousel and next door to Kusters Lounge. Twenty plus years have passed... I had heard a while back that the owners had died and the property was sold to Kusters. I have my own family now and was thinking back fondly to the fun summers that we enjoyed at "Dundein" and was wondering if anyone knew if this resort has opened again.
Thanks in advance...
Marge

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2008

During the 70's my family and I spent many summers at Dunedin in Beach Lake. It was a perfect spot for our boys to enjoy the pool and the lake. Living in Queens at the time this afforded us the luxury of being in the "country."

Now the boys are men and vacations like Dunedin are too passe.
Ray

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 10, 2008

Hi when I saw Dunedin in your message the first place I thought of was Dunedin in Beach Lake Pennsylvania but I'm going back as far as thirty to forty years ago I wonder if it was the same Dunedin Family.
Lisa wrote:
Hello all,
Thanks in advance...
Frank Jellison

Salem, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2008

I'm sure it is as there was only one Dunedin that I knew. There was no Dunedin Family that I know of. It may have been named after Dunedin Florida.
kevin d

Long Beach, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 14, 2008

my family "the donnelly's" of long island went to dunedin every summer during the 60's and 70's. thanks for the update on pine grove taking it over. i am woking on a famly trip back to the old spot for summer 09 with my parents (now 78 yrs old) and the rest of the family (and 17 grand kids). i wa born in 69 and my earliest memories are when chuk and seal sold the place and we spent our first summer with the "new" owners. it is fall 08 and I am planning a trip to scope it out and will report back for all.
Marge Buffalo NY

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2008

Kevin,
Did you go back to Dunedin to see how it would be for a reunion in '09. I'd be curious as I would like to go there too, with my family.
Dunedin Name

Salem, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2008

Frank Jellison wrote:
I'm sure it is as there was only one Dunedin that I knew. There was no Dunedin Family that I know of. It may have been named after Dunedin Florida.
As I recall hearing as a child, Mr Bailey, the original owner, lived in Dunedin Florida during the winter months.

Since: Jun 08

Not Waynesboro or Hagerstown

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2009

Ah memories. Great area, left there in 84, haven't been back in a while.
Daler44

Elmont, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2009

my family would visit Beach lake and stay at Dunedin for a week in the very early 70's. We're from LI but rememebr another family from Richmond Hill in Queens that we would meet up with each year. Was back to BL in 1997 stayed in resort next door to where Dunedin had been. It looked pretty run down at that time
D44
Kevin K

Rochester, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 13, 2009

The Dunedin has gone the way of the Beach Lake House And most of the rest of the boarding houses in the area. The Central House remains vibrant as well as Pine Grove Cottages which bought out most of the old Dunedin properrty which includes the pool and the motel like units.
Bill and Donna Grasso have done a remarkable job in modernizing both the cottages and the motel-like units directly behind the old Dunedin. My parents started going to "the lake" in the late 30's and I as a child and as a Father and now as a grandfather for close to 60 years.
The key to our enjoyment is the peace and quiet, the beach which offers even the youngest of us a sand bottom with a very gradual slope.
Lot's to do nearby but our joy remains the tranquility and safety of the Pine Grove complex itself.
Lisa wrote:
Hello all,
Thanks in advance...
Michael B

Media, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2009

Does anyone know what became of the Evergreen lodge or the family who ran the place?
Frank Domizio

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 2, 2009

Michael B wrote:
Does anyone know what became of the Evergreen lodge or the family who ran the place?
The Evergreen Lodge is now a drug and alcohol rehab center. I do not not know what happened to the Avery's. As a child we use to stay at the Evergreen lodge every year. It is called the New Begining Ministry. You can find it on a web search.
BILL

Hazleton, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2009

Marge Buffalo NY wrote:
Kevin,
Did you go back to Dunedin to see how it would be for a reunion in '09. I'd be curious as I would like to go there too, with my family.
MARGE, I'VE LIVED IN THE BEACH LAKE AREA ALL MY LIFE (55 YRS) AND JUST LAST WEEK THEY WERE RIPPING THE DUNEDIN DOWN. I DON'T KNOW IF THEY TOTALY DESTROYED IT OR ONLY PART OF IT . I'LL TAKE A LOOK TONIGHT ON MY WAY HOME AND GET BACK TO YOU.
Michael Bevins

Media, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2009

Thanks for the update, I too stayed every year as child and miss those great summer vacations.
BMC

Jackson, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2010

I also spent my summers in Beach Lake and now own my own vacation home there. I live full time in Long Beach, NY. Michael B - I am sad to report that I just attended Mr Avery's memorial service this weekend. Mr Avery passed away March 29. He and Mrs Avery were married for 60 years. I was a waitress at Evergreen Lodge for many summers. The Avery's still live in Beach Lake. They are a wonderful family. I also know Donna and Bill Grasso. They have done an amazing job with Pine Grove and I expect when they finish the work on Dunedin's, it will also be great!! I'm looking forward to seeing it complete. Kuester's itself is a disgrace. It's closed once again for what I can only imagine are additional under age drinking violations. The Beach Lake Inn is a new addition to town (relatively new, open about 2 years now). It's across from the old Morning Dove. The owners have done an amazing job remodeling. The woodwork is beautiful. Great food and drink. For those that spent summers there as a kid, it's worth taking a trip back up there. Some of the old places have gone away and new places have popped (The Bernadette is now Joe's Ranch House) up but it still has the same feel.... a quiet country town with hard working, good people.
Michael B

Belleville, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 27, 2010

BMC thank you for the update I am sorry to hear about Mr Avery, he was a nice man. Please give my regards to Ricky if you see him.
old Central House visitor

Rahway, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 1, 2010

wow - good memories. I spent every summer of my childhood at Central House.
I assume the general store is long gone -- what's there now? Used to love going to Avery's for ice cream. And going up to the arcade at the carousel with my handful of quarters. And riding the go-karts.
Keep sharing the memories everyone.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of52
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Honesdale Discussions

Search the Honesdale Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
PA Who do you support for Governor in Pennsylvania... (Oct '10) 50 min Incompetent Obama 51,103
PA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Pennsylva... (Oct '10) 53 min Community Organizer Skill 3,745
Regional Briefs 5/15/2014 May '14 Kenny Witkowski 1
Snowy Start to February in Wayne County Mar '14 AlBusillo 2
Animal torturer employed by Pike County Jan '14 valerie herlihy 1
Pa. priest released from prison after appeal (Jan '14) Jan '14 Qassan Muhammad 1
Two nabbed in Wayne County heroin bust (Dec '13) Dec '13 Capt_Bogart 1
•••
•••
•••
•••

Honesdale Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Honesdale People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE