GM job cuts in Honeoye Falls

GM job cuts in Honeoye Falls

There are 10 comments on the WHEC-TV Rochester, NY story from Jul 20, 2009, titled GM job cuts in Honeoye Falls. In it, WHEC-TV Rochester, NY reports that:

Eight full-time employees at the GM Fuel Cell Research Facility in Honeoye Falls were laid-off Monday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WHEC-TV Rochester, NY.

yoyoyo

Spencerport, NY

#1 Jul 20, 2009
ch 10 laid off another person last week too
Curt

Rochester, NY

#2 Jul 20, 2009
I know people who work at this plant. They have had no work and no projects in a few years. JUST SITTING AROUND COLECTING BIG BUCKS. Now we the tax payers have to pay for all the poor management and waste. Where are the plug in battery cars that get 140 miles on a charge? NONE. NO Research and development at this plant. What a joke.
China has the plug in electric cars that get 140 miles on a charge. They will be selling them in the USA soon. BDY BATTERY Cars.
The Chevy volt can only go 40 miles on a charge. I could not even make it to Geneva NY.
someone

Rochester, NY

#3 Jul 20, 2009
You work in a freakin factory...what do you expect? companies come and go and in a market for machines that cost on average 20,000 dollars not everyone needs or can afford a new car every day. Its sad but it should be expected.
BlueV

Mclean, VA

#4 Jul 20, 2009
Eight employees laid off and that's the top story? Seriously? GM closing the plant would be news. A fuel cell blowing up in the shop would be news. Eight people getting laid off in a company of 350 is not NEWS.
LANL Man

Rochester, NY

#5 Jul 20, 2009
I doubt that the 8 GM employees let go were critical to the fuel cell endeavors going on in Honeoye Falls. It is likely this is normal healthy business activity, and only now set against the back drop of an ailing economy, makes it news-worthy. I wish the displaced workers luck in landing on their feet.

I was a contract employee at GM’s Honeoye Falls operation a few years back. One contract employee of dozens. Since then, it has always been interesting to catch the Dog and Pony shows over there in the local media. Every time I watched, the only thing that came to mind was the oppression of the full time contract temporaries. They were, and most certainly still are, critical to the success of these programs, although subjected to severely limited raises, benefits, and respect.

Considering the current economic condition, most likely, the contract work force at GM has also been reduced and the ones that are left may be happy for the positions they are in now. Things weren’t always this bad though. The previous GM fuel cell achievements included a lot of effort by folks who came to work each day, year after year, not knowing if that day was their last. If it were the end, there was no severance package. That is a real employment story regarding GM in Honeoye Falls.
Whenry

Rochester, NY

#6 Jul 20, 2009
LANL Man wrote:
That is a real employment story regarding GM in Honeoye Falls.
Thanks for thei insight.
FUBL

Rochester, NY

#7 Jul 20, 2009
"""significant staff reductions"""

8 jobs. lol

I can't believe this is even a news story.
Fred

Falls Church, VA

#8 Jul 21, 2009
Last fall 40 contract workers were let go. "NEWS!!"
Salad

Falls Church, VA

#9 Jul 21, 2009
Curt wrote:
..... I could not even make it to Geneva NY.
Why would anyone want to go to GENEVA?!?!?!
Employee Wife

Rochester, NY

#10 Jul 21, 2009
I agreet this is not newsworthy to you, but in my home with three young children it is.Everyday I wonder if we will still have an income, New Gm or not they could shut down operations at anytime. What they are doing there is good work, and it should not go unnoticed. They are bringing it to attention because any cuts in that plant in a bad sign. before you comment just think how you would feel if they cut some employees at the place you work at, Pretty scary.

Oh and Curt they are not making the VOLT, they are making the the Sequel, the equinox that is run souly on Hydrogen..It recently went 300miles on Real roads in Ny with fuel to spare. Get your facts straight before you comment

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Honeoye Falls Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Free wireless internet for Rochester, parts of ... (Feb '08) May '16 josephbarkley 43
Kevin Neenan not being retained as varsity base... (Aug '11) May '16 Steele 6
News Upstate NY town de-bricks LEGO bus shelter prot... Apr '16 Yankee dave 1
High Acres landfill Stinks up all of Perinton! (Nov '11) Apr '16 Barrygarneau 6
News Deputies: New York woman ate drugs to avoid mor... Feb '16 DILF 6
Review: The Village Hair Salon Hair Salon (Dec '10) Feb '16 Disappointed 16
News Free Mammograms Offered Feb. 13 in Henrietta Jan '16 Hmmm 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Honeoye Falls Mortgages