GM Convinced the Future Is in Fuel Cells

GM Convinced the Future Is in Fuel Cells

There are 20 comments on the CBS News story from Sep 11, 2009, titled GM Convinced the Future Is in Fuel Cells. In it, CBS News reports that:

General Motors Co. is now 1 million miles into its fuel cell experiment and company officials say having everyday people drive a test fleet of pollution-free cars has convinced them they are on the right track.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBS News.

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#2 Sep 11, 2009
GM has been convinced about many things, and everytime been 110% wrong. No wonder this company has filed bankruptcy several times. Eventually (if the government gets a clue) they will file and never return. GM makes crap products and should have closed it's doors many years ago.
Marilyn

Brattleboro, VT

#3 Sep 11, 2009
From Wikipedia:(and this expresses my concerns)

"Hydrogen poses a number of hazards to human safety, from potential detonations and fires when mixed with air to being an asphyxant in its pure, oxygen-free form.[103] In addition, liquid hydrogen is a cryogen and presents dangers (such as frostbite) associated with very cold liquids.[104] Hydrogen dissolves in some metals, and, in addition to leaking out, may have adverse effects on them, such as hydrogen embrittlement.[105] Hydrogen gas leaking into external air may spontaneously ignite. Moreover, hydrogen fire, while being extremely hot, is almost invisible, and thus can lead to accidental burns."
Marilyn

Brattleboro, VT

#4 Sep 11, 2009
DavidH64 wrote:
GM has been convinced about many things, and everytime been 110% wrong. No wonder this company has filed bankruptcy several times. Eventually (if the government gets a clue) they will file and never return. GM makes crap products and should have closed it's doors many years ago.
I do not agree and as far as crap products go you could make such a statement about many things because your remarks are unspecific, general and have no real information to support them beyond the current bailout which seems to have put them in an exploratory position. The energy issues and polution are important....finding alternate energy is important....I simply was expressing my concerns, yet I see that fossil fuels can also burn or explode....my concern lies with safety....
Richard

Erie, PA

#5 Sep 11, 2009
GM has no future.

scout

Since: Feb 07

Castro Valley, CA

#6 Sep 11, 2009
This is why GM can't make money. They make funny looking stuff and now think that real people want more batteries.

Just great.

“Love of $ is the Root of Evil”

Since: Sep 08

Gotham City

#8 Sep 11, 2009
This is smoke-screen.

GM has never wanted efficient cars. They are largely owned by the same people who own major oil companies. They make 10x more money on gas and oil sales than they lose in the car market.

I really wish Bush would have just let them suffer. But since they are friends, that didn't happen.

At the very least, at least the CEO was canned.

Too bad it's prob not going to change much since the stockholders are still the same oil barons.
Bob Burns

Kunming, China

#9 Sep 11, 2009
How come they never mention cost/price/maintenance issues in these puff pieces? And who's paying for all this phony "research? If they were economically viable they'd be selling them instead of babbling BS. Everybody with a brain knows alternative power vehicles are AT LEAST 10 years away
Idi O Syncrasy

Patterson, CA

#10 Sep 11, 2009
Richard wrote:
GM has no future.
You could be right, however I find this article ironic.

Obama slashed all funding for fuel cell research in May, now GM(Governement Motors) is going to pursue fuel cell technology?
Does Barry's Auto Czar know about this?

President Obama axes hydrogen fuel-cell funding
05/12/2009, 10:57 AM
By Drew Johnson

In a reversal from the Bush administration, President Obama on Monday drastically cut federal funding for fuel-cell vehicles. President Obama eliminated President Bush’s $1.2 billion fuel-cell initiative, saving $100 million a year from the government’s bottom line..........

http://www.leftlanenews.com/president-obama-a...
Ninthman

“Obama Shames the USA”

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#11 Sep 11, 2009
Marilyn wrote:
From Wikipedia:(and this expresses my concerns)
"Hydrogen poses a number of hazards to human safety, from potential detonations and fires when mixed with air to being an asphyxant in its pure, oxygen-free form.[103] In addition, liquid hydrogen is a cryogen and presents dangers (such as frostbite) associated with very cold liquids.[104] Hydrogen dissolves in some metals, and, in addition to leaking out, may have adverse effects on them, such as hydrogen embrittlement.[105] Hydrogen gas leaking into external air may spontaneously ignite. Moreover, hydrogen fire, while being extremely hot, is almost invisible, and thus can lead to accidental burns."
Soon they will have hydrolysis so efficient it will produce the hydrogen needed on demand . The fuel will be water, even tea will hydrolyze and make Hydrogen and oxygen with no storage of the gasses needed. No fueling stations. No danger. You will be able to put the water that comes out of the exhaust back into the reformer(hydrolyzer)and keep on going. Neat. It's ALMOST here. It's been around for many years.
Bob Burns

Kunming, China

#12 Sep 11, 2009
Ninthman wrote:
<quoted text>Soon they will have hydrolysis so efficient it will produce the hydrogen needed on demand . The fuel will be water, even tea will hydrolyze and make Hydrogen and oxygen with no storage of the gasses needed. No fueling stations. No danger. You will be able to put the water that comes out of the exhaust back into the reformer(hydrolyzer)and keep on going. Neat. It's ALMOST here. It's been around for many years.
EXCEPT THAT a power source is needed to make it work. Hydrogen is not a generator of energy. It effectively transmits/transforms power. Where that energy comes from, how it is initially produced, remains a contentious issue. I, for one, would like to see a nuke plant in every county

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#13 Sep 12, 2009
Danny_Livewire wrote:
This is smoke-screen.
GM has never wanted efficient cars. They are largely owned by the same people who own major oil companies. They make 10x more money on gas and oil sales than they lose in the car market.
I really wish Bush would have just let them suffer. But since they are friends, that didn't happen.
At the very least, at least the CEO was canned.
Too bad it's prob not going to change much since the stockholders are still the same oil barons.
The majority share holders in GM are the US Government.

Bush let them suffer? Obama gave them +$25billion. Bush $13.4billion. Neither of them should have given GM a single cent.
Brr

London, UK

#14 Sep 12, 2009
GM is better left to rot. No point. It has gone past best before date.
Someone

Sheffield, UK

#15 Sep 12, 2009
I think we need to re-look ar personal transport. Trying to put renewale source stuff on existing cars is like putting a petrol engine of a bull cart.

Gotham City

#16 Sep 15, 2009
Bob Burns wrote:
How come they never mention cost/price/maintenance issues in these puff pieces? And who's paying for all this phony "research? If they were economically viable they'd be selling them instead of babbling BS. Everybody with a brain knows alternative power vehicles are AT LEAST 10 years away
Um... they are selling. Toyota is the #1 car dealer in the USA right now because they actually produced the Hybrids that politicians encouraged car makers to make in 1999.

The US Auto Makers are owned by the same people who own shares in Exxon Mobile. There is a huge rea$on why they don't want electric cars in this market....

What is the most profitable company in the history of the planet?
Idi O Syncrasy

Patterson, CA

#17 Sep 15, 2009
Danny_Livewire wrote:
<quoted text>
Um... they are selling. Toyota is the #1 car dealer in the USA right now because they actually produced the Hybrids that politicians encouraged car makers to make in 1999.
The US Auto Makers are owned by the same people who own shares in Exxon Mobile. There is a huge rea$on why they don't want electric cars in this market....
What is the most profitable company in the history of the planet?
Easy pal, don't forget America's best.
Ford Escape Hybrids are owned as personal vehicles by Obama and his press secretary Robert Gibbs.
It's the most fuel efficient SUV on Earth.

The Ford Fusion Hybrid is the highest fuel mileage mid size car made, period.
Both qualify for federal Energy Policy Act tax incentives, Toyota Hybrids don't.

When you're looking for a role model to brag about, look around home first.
Bob Burns

Kunming, China

#18 Sep 16, 2009
Idi O Syncrasy wrote:
<quoted text>
Ford Escape Hybrids are owned as personal vehicles by Obama and his press secretary Robert Gibbs.
Both qualify for federal Energy Policy Act tax incentives, Toyota Hybrids don't.
Funny you talk about hybrids when the discussion is about fuel cells
Idi O Syncrasy

Patterson, CA

#19 Sep 16, 2009
Bob Burns wrote:
<quoted text>Funny you talk about hybrids when the discussion is about fuel cells
Funnier yet is that my post was responding to a person extolling Toyota Hybrids.

What's Hilarious though is that poster was responding to YOUR comment-
"Everybody with a brain knows alternative power vehicles are AT LEAST 10 years away"

Hybrids ARE alternative power vehicles you BRAIN DEAD DUMMY.
Think before you post and don't post when you've had too much to drink. DOOFUS!

Gotham City

#20 Sep 16, 2009
Idi O Syncrasy wrote:
<quoted text>
Fair enough. I do like Ford....

I was just saying that when it came to sales.... Toyota is making the most of it right now.

I LOVE US made products. Especially if they are better... But facts are facts, Toyota came to market first with them, even though.... The USA was developing them first.

Do you know why?
Fwbuckeroo Fort Worth

Dallas, TX

#21 Sep 16, 2009
There is no doubt about what the future is calling for. The end to the combustion engine for the majority of vehicles being manufactured, for clean operating electric drive.
In a ten year period of time the Arabs will be crying for avenues to move their oils into, but we will not need it. We ship a God Awful amount of monies overseas for the oil we use.
Our ideal position is to have a converter on board to change water into fuel buy pulling the hydrogen out of it. But I imagine the mass merchandisers are working this the other way around, wanting us to by hydrogen so they can set up service station type operations in place of gas stations. I am for either at this point.
Idi O Syncrasy

Patterson, CA

#22 Sep 16, 2009
Danny_Livewire wrote:
<quoted text>
Fair enough. I do like Ford....
I was just saying that when it came to sales.... Toyota is making the most of it right now.
I LOVE US made products. Especially if they are better... But facts are facts, Toyota came to market first with them, even though.... The USA was developing them first.
Do you know why?
The obvious would be to state that the US Big Three had grown complacent, fearful of innovation and too conservative on marketing unproven design.

Then again, Hybrids have proven to be less than the desired product that enviro-champs have hoped for, and smart manufacturers make what people buy.

People either balk at the extra few thousand dollar price tag, or just choose to stay with what they are used to when it comes to powerplants for their cars.
Whether it's the Prius, Camry, Fusion or Escape, most buyers go with the old combustion engine over hybrid technology.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Honeoye Falls Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Election Who do you support for State Senator in New Yor... (Oct '10) 22 hr rnormanii 26
NEBA Sandwich Shop 1960's Sep 8 Bugsy 1
News 3 Teens Arrested In West Seneca Murder (Jul '07) Sep 3 Islandgirl1964 166
Kevin Neenan not being retained as varsity base... (Aug '11) Aug '16 Bj bean 7
News Free wireless internet for Rochester, parts of ... (Feb '08) May '16 josephbarkley 43
News Upstate NY town de-bricks LEGO bus shelter prot... Apr '16 Yankee dave 1
High Acres landfill Stinks up all of Perinton! (Nov '11) Apr '16 Barrygarneau 6

Honeoye Falls Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Honeoye Falls Mortgages