Memories Of Old Ronkonkoma
Holbrook Fan

Port Saint Lucie, FL

#41 Jan 11, 2011
Does anyone remember the name of the bar/restaurant that was between Slater's Drugstore and Agnew and Taylor's (same side of the street)? I think it had an Italian name.
Victor

Brooklyn, NY

#42 Jan 11, 2011

Since: Oct 09

Hart County, KY.

#43 Jan 11, 2011
Holbrook Fan wrote:
Does anyone remember the name of the bar/restaurant that was between Slater's Drugstore and Agnew and Taylor's (same side of the street)? I think it had an Italian name.
The only bar/restaurant I know of ever to be there, is Bruno's.

Hart County, KY.

#44 Jan 11, 2011
Holbrook Fan wrote:
I was referencing the carvel on Portion Road close to Holbrook Road. Do you remember the name of the Pizzeria that was in the shopping center behind Roy Rogers? I remember going their as a kid with my dad and they gave us two sicilian pizzas for free because they messed up our order. Did anyone take driving lessons from Lake Auto School over by St. Joseph's Church? I will post more memories as soon as I can remember them.
Oh, you mean the pizza parlor in the King Kullen shopping center? That was/is Eddie's, I believe. I used to always enjoy stopping there too, when my mother would take me shopping. I believe it is still there- as is the Carvel up near P/H road.

Keep the memories coming!!
tony boniciooli

Melbourne, FL

#45 Feb 6, 2011
Original T Jefferson wrote:
Ooopps! Typo- that should be Miss Bianca.
Ohhhh yes Miss Bianca.... I attended Gatelot School in the mid 40's . I was terrified of her. Also remember Walter Dunham who was school principal at that time.... some of my schookmates were, Charlie Seibert, Ollie Olsen, Ronald Jocker, Carole Okfist,and who could ever forget, the Yam sisters (Regina and Adaline) Enough of my blabbering on... appreciate your posts... Tony B

Hart County, KY.

#46 Feb 6, 2011
tony boniciooli wrote:
<quoted text>Ohhhh yes Miss Bianca.... I attended Gatelot School in the mid 40's . I was terrified of her. Also remember Walter Dunham who was school principal at that time.... some of my schookmates were, Charlie Seibert, Ollie Olsen, Ronald Jocker, Carole Okfist,and who could ever forget, the Yam sisters (Regina and Adaline) Enough of my blabbering on... appreciate your posts... Tony B
Thank YOU, Tony! I love hearing such stuff. Ronk. was nice in the 60's and 70's...it must have been PARADISE in the 40's!!!! Would you by any chance have any old photos of the area that you'd be willing to share????

Here's one for ya: When I was a kid in the late 60's early 70's, our landlord used to hire a guy named Dick to paint our apartment. He was an old man and I don't think he ever drove- used to walk all over town. Seemed to have been a familiar character around town- any idea who he was?

(((Wow! Gatelot must have been brand new when you attended!)))
Mary Saetta

Yorktown Heights, NY

#48 May 25, 2011
Yarlows sold the gym suits we wore throughout our years in the Sachem district, and I think I remember one of the brothers dressing as an indian chief in a parade when I was a kid.
BMF

Holtsville, NY

#49 May 26, 2011
Good Timez<33333333333
Holbrook Fan

Port Saint Lucie, FL

#50 Jun 22, 2011
Does anyone remember a local bar called Cedarfileds? What are some other places everyone hung out at?
Holbrook Fan

Port Saint Lucie, FL

#51 Jun 22, 2011
Meant Cedarfields

Hart County, KY.

#52 Jun 22, 2011
How about Bird's Place? LOL!!!![No, even if I patronized bars, I never would have gone there!]

Freddy's Tavern?

The Rat Cellar...errr.....Rathskeller (Wasn't that a sissy bar?)

One place I did go: The Hayden Cafe...although I'd imagine that was probably technically Holbrook, not Ronk.? That place was awesome! What a great place to take a date. Only wish I had discovered sooner, as I didn't get to enjoy it for long before it was gone!
jeep

Brooklyn, NY

#53 Jun 22, 2011
Evan Politico wrote:
I remember getting my power tool greased behind Carvel on Portion Road.
Shut the hell up. You’re not his wife. You’re not paying for the repairs. It’s absolutely none of your business what he does with his Jeep or his money. I know your type well… first it’s “Sell the Jeep because it’s costing too much money.” Then it’s “No, you can’t go spend the weekend with your buddies because I need you to take me shopping.” Then it’s “Oh gee, honey… I’m pregnant. Gosh, I have no idea how that happened.”

You’re a DreamKiller. You kill a guy’s dreams, take away his future, tie him down with a fat mortgage and too many babies, and turn him into just another miserable guy wondering,“How the hell did I get here?”

Do you really want to help him? Here’s what you do… go to your local library (it’s a big building with books inside) and check out a couple of books on rebuilding engines. Read them, over and over, until YOU understand what needs to be done. Then help him get that engine out and rebuild it. Tie your hair back in a ponytail, put on some old jeans and get your hands dirty. Hand him wrenches, hold the light, pull the wire connectors apart, help him get the hood off… help him with anything he needs. When he gets tired, run inside and make him a hot lunch or dinner. Fix him coffee, hot chocolate, whatever he wants.(But NO beer. Beer is for when the job is done.)

Then when the day is over and you’re both exhausted from working on the engine, push him into a hot shower and jump in with him. Scrub his back, wash his hair, rinse him off, and dry him with fluffy towels still hot from the dryer. Then push him into bed and screw his ears off. Then get up the next day and do it all over again.

Make him realize that rebuilding an engine is a slow and methodical process. Make him realize that every step should be regarded as surgery; every step must be perfect… perfect torque, perfect fit, perfectly clean. If you run into a step that you just can’t figure out, ask for help from someone who knows what he’s doing. Are you cute? Put on a low-cut top, show some cleavage and go (by yourself) to the local Jeep shop, and explain to the guys that you are helping your boyfriend to rebuild his engine and neither of you can figure out this one little step, and do they have any advice…

Think it won’t work? Think again. We guys love to help cute girls, even if they have a boyfriend.(Hey, maybe you’ve got a sister, or girlfriend…)

But absolutely DO NOT whine or complain. Do not say a single negative thing. Not a single “Oooooo, I broke a nail.” If you break a nail, or cut your finger, or bang a knuckle, you just shut up and DEAL WITH IT. You should be a hopelessly optomistic, never-say-die cheerleader, encouraging him every step of the way.

That’s my opinion.
R Hess

Ankara, Turkey

#54 Jul 22, 2011
How about Bird's Place? LOL!!!![No, even if I patronized bars, I never would have gone there!]
Freddy's Tavern?
The Rat Cellar...errr.....Rathskeller (Wasn't that a sissy bar?)
One place I did go: The Hayden Cafe...although I'd imagine that was probably technically Holbrook, not Ronk.? That place was awesome! What a great place to take a date. Only wish I had discovered sooner, as I didn't get to enjoy it for long before it was gone!
That was Haydens Den. It was in Farmingville. It was a really cool place!!
michael panowich

United States

#55 Sep 15, 2011
dmtkphk wrote:
oh and yes, H&H Bakery had the BEST JELLY DONUTS. We would go there on a Sunday morning with my dad and it would be packed. We were little so we were squished in like sardines. I can remember staring at the floor at the little cream/pink ceramic tiles for what seemed like hours. They also had those very cheesy 1960 Wedding Figurines on display. Oh the days of the early 70's.
HH bakery they would alway give you broken cookies and donuts, Slaters Toms stationary, I worked at caldors, i grew up on pine street off carol ave

Hart County, KY.

#56 Sep 15, 2011
michael panowich wrote:
<quoted text> HH bakery they would alway give you broken cookies and donuts, Slaters Toms stationary, I worked at caldors, i grew up on pine street off carol ave
Tom's Stationary- now THAT was a store! For a little neighborhood store, he had everything! All of my bicycles came from there, as well as most of my Matchbox cars! It was amazing the stuff that guy had!

You go into a gigantic Wal*Mart today, and they don't seem to have half the stuff that Tom's had!

Ronkonkoma Stationary was great too, for toy...but the people weren't very nice...whereas Tom's would treat you right.

I used to love your neighborhood- I lived down by exit 61 as an adult, and I used to always take long walks with my dog, often along Carroll, Cherry, Pleasure and sometimes even down Pine. That was such a cool little neighborhood and always nice and quiet!(There was always that house on the N/E corner of Pleasure and Church- real close to the street- every time I'd pass there at night, someone was always getting boffed in there...and being noisy about it!)

Ah, the memories!
mike b

Dundee, OR

#57 Sep 22, 2011
George Lipponer wrote:
The Yarlow brothers were named Max and Al. They had also owned a 5&10 in Brooklyn and lived on Smith Road.
Tom's Stationery was known as Gehweiler's, a department type store.
Bahrenburg's was the bakery across the street, now a Greek restaurant.
The former Ronkonkoma Stationery, directly across the street from Straub's market was the first A&P
in Lake Ronkonkoma.
i remember all the a & ps and the barber shop next to the hrdware store.

Hart County, KY.

#58 Sep 22, 2011
How about the old barber shop that was next-door to Keyboard Corners? Forget the name of it...but Vinny and Jimmy were the barbers.

Hehe...I remember one of 'em- I forget if it was Jimmy or Vinny- I think Jimmy, hated jigs.... So a jig comes into the shop one day, and he really butchered the poor guy's hair!!
Jcdinform

Elmira, NY

#59 Oct 10, 2011
This is a Great Ronkonkoma Forum ---- http://www.facebook.com/groups/174848613709/...
Tony Bonicioli

Melbourne, FL

#60 Nov 11, 2011
<quoted text>
Thank YOU, Tony! I love hearing such stuff. Ronk. was nice in the 60's and 70's...it must have been PARADISE in the 40's!!!! Would you by any chance have any old photos of the area that you'd be willing to share????
Here's one for ya: When I was a kid in the late 60's early 70's, our landlord used to hire a guy named Dick to paint our apartment. He was an old man and I don't think he ever drove- used to walk all over town. Seemed to have been a familiar character around town- any idea who he was?
(((Wow! Gatelot must have been brand new when you attended!)))
Started Gatelot in 1947 I think... Some schoolmates were Charlie Seibert, Ollie Olsen, Arthur Bruno, The Yam Sisters (Adeline,Regina)Louis Bruno, Carole Oakfast. The gym teacher was Mr Rothenburger...wonderfull man. Enough for now. Tony
JOHN KIERNAN

Melville, NY

#61 Feb 9, 2012
Didn't Yarlow's sell gym clothes?
Isn't it he only place to get Sachem gym clothes?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Holtsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Petition drive underway to reopen Roberto Cleme... 6 hr stay out 1
News Islip ex-commish Joe Montuori Jr., aide plead g... 7 hr make them pay 2
News After officer's wake, cops nab drug suspect (Mar '09) 16 hr Watchman 209
News 3rd suspect in murder of 2 men found dismembered (Aug '08) Wed Dindu Nuffin 181
News Horseshoe crab sting (Jul '07) Wed 11951Ratdog 86
GD Designs Rochdale Wed pantaskan20 1
News Angie Carpenter, Islip supervisor, optimistic a... (May '15) Aug 23 boycott 23

Holtsville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Holtsville Mortgages