Mastic Beach residents petition to be...

Mastic Beach residents petition to become village

There are 2020 comments on the Newsday story from Jan 13, 2010, titled Mastic Beach residents petition to become village. In it, Newsday reports that:

A group of Mastic Beach residents wants its waterfront community to become the first new village to incorporate in New York State in four years, and Brookhaven Town will soon hold a hearing on the proposal.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Hey

Yonkers, NY

#21 Jan 20, 2010
What makes you think the village plans to TAKE the MBPOA clubhouse? There is a provision in the MBPOA deed that if the area becomes a village:

Liber 2115, Page 108:

"Upon the formation of a village of Mastic Beach, the grantee association (MBPOA) agrees that it will convey or dedicate without consideration to said village, such part of the within described property as may be included within the corporate limits of such village, subject to a covenant and agreement, however, that any premises so conveyed will be kept and maintained for the use and benefit of the residents of such village.

The MBPOA signed the agreement, and agreed with its provisions.

Now for the fun part, who says the village people, who are neither elected officials or in any manner able to make decisions, want the MBPOA property? And, since the organization trying to get the village approved has NO POWERS at all, only the people who are elected to village official status and the future village attorney (also not a filled position) have the powers to make any decisions.

You are right about the unpaid mayor job. The person who takes the job will need independent financial resources (not necessarily wealthy, but able to afford to live on independent income sources). Maybe after the first term, if the mayor does a good job, the trustees and the people of MB will reward the office with a salary, that's up to the people.

And finally, the lawsuit issue-there will be a village liability insurance policy and the village will be indemnified from lawsuits.

Why don't YOU run for mayor?

Since: Dec 07

Mastic Beach N.Y.

#22 Jan 20, 2010
Hey wrote:
What makes you think the village plans to TAKE the MBPOA clubhouse? There is a provision in the MBPOA deed that if the area becomes a village:
Liber 2115, Page 108:
"Upon the formation of a village of Mastic Beach, the grantee association (MBPOA) agrees that it will convey or dedicate without consideration to said village, such part of the within described property as may be included within the corporate limits of such village, subject to a covenant and agreement, however, that any premises so conveyed will be kept and maintained for the use and benefit of the residents of such village.
Now for the fun part, who says the village people, who are neither elected officials or in any manner able to make decisions, want the MBPOA property? And, since the organization trying to get the village approved has NO POWERS at all, only the people who are elected to village official status and the future village attorney (also not a filled position) have the powers to make any decisions.
You are right about the unpaid mayor job. The person who takes the job will need independent financial resources (not necessarily wealthy, but able to afford to live on independent income sources). Maybe after the first term, if the mayor does a good job, the trustees and the people of MB will reward the office with a salary, that's up to the people.
And finally, the lawsuit issue-there will be a village liability insurance policy and the village will be indemnified from lawsuits.
Great post HEY!
Hey

Yonkers, NY

#23 Jan 20, 2010
A lot of hard work, many long hours by volunteers...I am sure this village will succeed.

There will be doubters, but the supporters will need to get out and vote, when the referendum is scheduled.

Thanks to all the volunteers and village supporters, we can all make a difference.

Mastic Beach N.Y.

#24 Jan 20, 2010
The hard work will pay off,at that point,the REAL hard work begin's.We live in a beautiful area,I think it's time for WE to decide what happen's here.
Are you serious

Trenton, NJ

#25 Jan 22, 2010
Village Hotline wrote:
One of the ideas being suggested, is that the village maintain a help hotline.... How will it be funded?... Mostly by volunteering.
...Needy poor, who can't afford to cut their grass, maybe the village can support a teen lawn care service funded by neighbors or donations.
Why doesn't Pattersquash Creek Civic Association already do this? Volunteer to cut people's lawns shovel people's driveways? This summer they couldn't even keep up the public canon corner!
How many people have volunteered at the food pantry? How many people have volunteered picking up litter?
Intentions are not reality.
Vinnie

Bronx, NY

#26 Jan 22, 2010
i like how the town cannot enforce the existing codes, but these guys think that with a bunch of folks working for peanuts, they will accomplish what the town cant.
this is going to cost u guys a fortune lol..good luck
Are you serious

Trenton, NJ

#27 Jan 22, 2010
Hey wrote:
Liber 2115, Page 108:
Wow, so this is really a childish fight about a clubhouse? Bob DeBona pissed off the MBVEC leaders so they made their own "civic association" and decided to create a village because they found a loophole in the MBPOA deed? That says the MBPOA clubhouse goes to a village if a village is formed. The whole reason the formation of the Village came into existence, has been not for the good of the citizens of Mastic Beach, it has been a childish pathetic bunch of little boys fighting over a clubhouse. You should be ashamed of yourselves.
Really

Trenton, NJ

#28 Jan 22, 2010
Hey wrote:
Liber 2115, Page 108:

Thanks for the history and law lessons. But if I'm not mistaking, liber 2115 says that the village takes the club house in the event that MB becomes a village, right? I'm not a lawyer and I won't pretend to understand every thing written in that paragraph, but won't the village take it? They signed it when, before the 1930's? Anyway, good luck with the effort, I still don't think you've convinced enough people. The one thing you do have going for you is that the people who WANT the village, will come out in droves to vote. The people who DON't want it, probably won't come out and vote because they think it will never pass. If you don't want it, vote! If you do, same thing.
Kevin C

Bronx, NY

#29 Jan 22, 2010
I certainly believe in a unified town its the only way we can bring it back to the way it was when I was a kid. But becoming a village is not the way. We have too many fragmented groups running in differant directions--if we banded together on a united front the polititions we have and are already paying will have no choice but to react to our demands. Some of them already are. We have a dedicated group that has been here for over 80 years fighting every day. The Mastic Beach Property Owners Association; I know, I am an active member. Join us at our meetings and see what can be done.A lot of the good people in MB will not be able to afford another layer of government. Take a very close and realistic look at the budget the Village Group is proposing, a small case but a very important one is legal fees,dont woory about not paying a mayor, what lawyer will handle 1000's of law suits a year pro bono. THAT IS A FACT--1000's Ask Patchogues mayor.

Mastic Beach N.Y.

#30 Jan 22, 2010
Vinnie wrote:
i like how the town cannot enforce the existing codes, but these guys think that with a bunch of folks working for peanuts, they will accomplish what the town cant.
this is going to cost u guys a fortune lol..good luck
It's not that the town CAN'T enforce the code,they CHOOSE not to.

Mastic Beach N.Y.

#31 Jan 22, 2010
Kevin C wrote:
I certainly believe in a unified town its the only way we can bring it back to the way it was when I was a kid. But becoming a village is not the way. We have too many fragmented groups running in differant directions--if we banded together on a united front the polititions we have and are already paying will have no choice but to react to our demands. Some of them already are. We have a dedicated group that has been here for over 80 years fighting every day. The Mastic Beach Property Owners Association; I know, I am an active member. Join us at our meetings and see what can be done.A lot of the good people in MB will not be able to afford another layer of government. Take a very close and realistic look at the budget the Village Group is proposing, a small case but a very important one is legal fees,dont woory about not paying a mayor, what lawyer will handle 1000's of law suits a year pro bono. THAT IS A FACT--1000's Ask Patchogues mayor.
People have banded together,and despite great odd's have achieved a MAJOR undertaking,we have submitted a complete petition to Brookhaven's supervisor,and he will have no choice but to react to our demand's.MBVEC is a group of dedicated people trying to help the area.They have worked very hard to give people a chance to really be heard,island-wide and state-wide.How many people outside of MB have ever heard of MBPOA?My guess is it will pale in comparison to people who will hear of the Village of Mastic Beach!Thank you to the people of MBPOA for your work and dedication,but there is work to be done that is out of your ability as a civic group.

Mastic Beach N.Y.

#32 Jan 22, 2010
Are you serious wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow, so this is really a childish fight about a clubhouse? Bob DeBona pissed off the MBVEC leaders so they made their own "civic association" and decided to create a village because they found a loophole in the MBPOA deed? That says the MBPOA clubhouse goes to a village if a village is formed. The whole reason the formation of the Village came into existence, has been not for the good of the citizens of Mastic Beach, it has been a childish pathetic bunch of little boys fighting over a clubhouse. You should be ashamed of yourselves.
I say you're wrong,and my own effort's PROVE you're wrong.Question,If MBPOA is so good for the area,how can they have possibly "pissed off" so many people?
Are you serious

Trenton, NJ

#33 Jan 22, 2010
Just because someone signed the petition with a large, menacing, cigarette smelling, tattooed man standing over them, doesn't mean they are going to vote yes.
Mastic beach wake up

Bronx, NY

#34 Jan 23, 2010
I am glad to hear most of the people are going to vote the village down.Kevin C --Your right on the money about the law suites that will be created.The village may create nicer homes but the derelicts will still be here at a huge expense to the taxpayers.If the law suites are to high there may possibly be liens on the taxpayers properties.Do you want that?Say NO NO NO NO NO NO to the village.If you do you vote yes you may be fighting to stay in your own homes.Think about it.
done with this town

Trenton, NJ

#35 Jan 23, 2010
whoopsing wrote:
<quoted text>It's not that the town CAN'T enforce the code,they CHOOSE not to.
You make it sound like the town CHOOSES to let all of this happen! Sorry, but the town CAN"T enforce the laws because there is only one or two code inspectors for ALL of Brookhaven. They need to hire 20 more inspectors then what they have now, and enforce the code. Guess what, for that to happen, taxes will be raised. So it won't happen. Stop bitching about the problem, or stop bitching about the high taxes. You can't complain about both. You either have low taxes with sec8, or high taxes with clean streets, not both!
Are you serious

Trenton, NJ

#36 Jan 23, 2010
whoopsing wrote:
<quoted text>I say you're wrong,and my own effort's PROVE you're wrong.Question,If MBPOA is so good for the area,how can they have possibly "pissed off" so many people?
The MBPOA 'pissed off so many people' when they made the people that live on Pattersqash Creek responsible for their own stick dock maintenance and insurance. And they actually measured your boats and made you pay PAY per ACTUAL FOOT for docking at the marinas (they noticed a lot of "oh my boat is 15ft" but in reality it was 22ft).

Since making people PAY for their boat docking created such an uproar... How 'pissed off' is everyone going to be when they have to pay YOUR arbitrary code violations and increased taxes?
guest11967

AOL

#37 Jan 23, 2010
I, for one, would be happy to pay more for a better quality of life. The Town has allowed that to happen so let's try a village. They sure can't do a worse job than the Town has. As for the MBPOA, of course they are opposed to the village. Bob DeBona fears he will lose what he perceives as HIS TOWN. He has in newspaper articles already called himself the mayor of Mastic Beach so if he wants he should run for mayor and who the people pick.

Mastic Beach N.Y.

#38 Jan 23, 2010
done with this town wrote:
<quoted text>
You make it sound like the town CHOOSES to let all of this happen! Sorry, but the town CAN"T enforce the laws because there is only one or two code inspectors for ALL of Brookhaven. They need to hire 20 more inspectors then what they have now, and enforce the code. Guess what, for that to happen, taxes will be raised. So it won't happen. Stop bitching about the problem, or stop bitching about the high taxes. You can't complain about both. You either have low taxes with sec8, or high taxes with clean streets, not both!
That's exactly what I meant...The town CHOOSES to not enforce the code.It's not a complaint,it's just the way it is.These rule's were not created in a vaccum,they were created to protect the citizenry,and when the governing body chooses for whatever reason to not enforce these rule's,it is our right to petition to create a governing body that will enforce them.I put my trust in the people of Mastic Beach to make this a better place,and I'll do what I can to further that goal

Mastic Beach N.Y.

#39 Jan 23, 2010
Are you serious wrote:
<quoted text>
The MBPOA 'pissed off so many people' when they made the people that live on Pattersqash Creek responsible for their own stick dock maintenance and insurance. And they actually measured your boats and made you pay PAY per ACTUAL FOOT for docking at the marinas (they noticed a lot of "oh my boat is 15ft" but in reality it was 22ft).
Since making people PAY for their boat docking created such an uproar... How 'pissed off' is everyone going to be when they have to pay YOUR arbitrary code violations and increased taxes?
I don't live on the creek,I don't own a boat,I don't have a stick dock,but I do care about the area,that's why I'm voting YES

Mastic Beach N.Y.

#40 Jan 23, 2010
Are you serious wrote:
Just because someone signed the petition with a large, menacing, cigarette smelling, tattooed man standing over them, doesn't mean they are going to vote yes.
True,but odd's are they will vote yes,regardless of who asked them if they'd like to sign

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Holtsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Farmingville, NY (Jul '10) 4 hr Chuck 35
attn Adoptees and Birthparents & Siblings Reunite! (Jan '12) 19 hr Geraldine 23
News Twist in Croci's path to war zone Sat What Hero 8
News Police dig up East Islip backyard in search of ... (Jan '08) Mar 22 Mystery 88
Memories Of Old Ronkonkoma (Jul '09) Mar 21 Janice P 118
Is Lee Zeldin gay? Mar 19 Tom 1
Review: Joseph P Price Agency Inc (Aug '09) Jan '17 Steve 8

Holtsville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Holtsville Mortgages