Mastic Beach residents petition to be...

Mastic Beach residents petition to become village

There are 2020 comments on the Newsday story from Jan 13, 2010, titled Mastic Beach residents petition to become village. In it, Newsday reports that:

A group of Mastic Beach residents wants its waterfront community to become the first new village to incorporate in New York State in four years, and Brookhaven Town will soon hold a hearing on the proposal.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Bubba

Patchogue, NY

#2152 Dec 10, 2011
No development= You still live in cesspool! Everyone of you small minded morons are exactly what's wrong with this place! We need this place improved! Our shore line here is a dumping ground! You can't even get to cranberry dock on high tide! The only way to get rid of slumlords and sex offenders is high end development.It will raise property values and slumlords will cash out!

Since: Dec 07

Mastic Beach N.Y.

#2153 Dec 10, 2011
Bubba wrote:
No development= You still live in cesspool! Everyone of you small minded morons are exactly what's wrong with this place! We need this place improved! Our shore line here is a dumping ground! You can't even get to cranberry dock on high tide! The only way to get rid of slumlords and sex offenders is high end development.It will raise property values and slumlords will cash out!
That is the dumbest idea I have ever heard. The Village is slowly working to make it not worthwhile to be a slumlord here.Ir will not make sense to conduct buisness here the way it used to be. That is when the slumlord's will 'cash out'.Ironically, this will,in the short term be a depressing factor on the price of house's as more houses are put up for sale.Bur let's face it, the price of house's is not going up anytime soon anyway,no matter what we do,so it seem's a good time to take the hit now. Most of VMB is not waterfront so I fail to see how developing the waterfront help's the community as a whole. How are we going to attract these big spender's to live here? With a big house? Then what? We have to make the area a safe place first,establish and enforce some sensable rules. I know of a few very nice well priced house's very close to the water that hav'nt sold.WHY? Anyway's, speculation is not the answer ,creating a sense of community is. That will be the 'value' added to each and every home here. It is a value that cannot be 'priced', yet is in much demand.
Brady

Moriches, NY

#2154 Dec 11, 2011
whoopsing wrote:
<quoted text>That is the dumbest idea I have ever heard. The Village is slowly working to make it not worthwhile to be a slumlord here.Ir will not make sense to conduct buisness here the way it used to be. That is when the slumlord's will 'cash out'.Ironically, this will,in the short term be a depressing factor on the price of house's as more houses are put up for sale.Bur let's face it, the price of house's is not going up anytime soon anyway,no matter what we do,so it seem's a good time to take the hit now. Most of VMB is not waterfront so I fail to see how developing the waterfront help's the community as a whole. How are we going to attract these big spender's to live here? With a big house? Then what? We have to make the area a safe place first,establish and enforce some sensable rules. I know of a few very nice well priced house's very close to the water that hav'nt sold.WHY? Anyway's, speculation is not the answer ,creating a sense of community is. That will be the 'value' added to each and every home here. It is a value that cannot be 'priced', yet is in much demand.
I have personally witnessed the VMB court enforce codes against illegal renters and homeowners who let their property go into disrepair.

I heard some funny answers to the charges....one guy said to the judge: "how come I didn't get a warning for having two unregistered cars on my front lawn?" The judge said...."here is your $100 fine".

A lady from Village of Massapequa Park said she had trouble hearing when the judge asked her why she didn't clean up the mess in a house she owns in VMB. She claimed the Hurricane (which happened on 8/25/11) was an act of God and she is waiting for the insurance co to clean it up. When the Judge told the woman the ticket was issued in late October, almost 3 months after the storm, the woman said it was not fair to hit her with a fine.

The judge then asked the lady who actually does live in the house?, because the owner lives in Massapequa Park. The woman said her "son" goes there from time to time and may not have seen the notice. The judge said...."here is your $100 fine"with a written promise to re-mediate the property by 1/7/12.

Building along the waterfront is not something ANYONE wants. But, the zoning must be changed to protect the character of our community. Some people say why should I say anything. I submitted my opinion, you can too!

“pffft”

Since: Jan 11

blue point.

#2155 Dec 11, 2011
From what I understand all the waterfront property was sold to Steve levy, about a month ago.

Since: Apr 09

Center Moriches, NY

#2156 Dec 11, 2011
OidiotO wrote:
From what I understand all the waterfront property was sold to Steve levy, about a month ago.
I see yor living up to your name
clean up this mess

Mastic Beach, NY

#2157 Dec 11, 2011
if you find trash in the wet lands, drag it to the center of the street, then the village needs to pick it up. If it is left off to the side, they won't touch it.

Where are all the volunteers that said they would gladly spend their time helping out the village? They need to go and pick up the trash all over the side of the streets.(yeah I know, everyone should do it, but they don't. The supporters of the village PUBLICLY announced they has hundreds of volunteers that would do it. SOOOO, put you money where your mouth was, go volunteer and "clean up this mess")

OR, have the code enforcers pick up trash as they are "on duty" driving around doing nothing. Instead of wasting gas, have them "patrol" a 3 block radius at a time with a black garbage bag in their hands. This would allow them to view more of MBV on a more personal level while cleaning up our streets. Make them actually earn their money.
MBV Code Enforcer

Brooklyn, NY

#2159 Dec 11, 2011
We are quasi profesional law enforcement types and the only garbage that we will put our hands on is Mastoids.
better chance

Chicago, IL

#2160 Dec 12, 2011
Better change renaming it Ghetto - or SLUM
better chance

Chicago, IL

#2161 Dec 12, 2011
Mastic known for Crime, Drugs, gangs and sex offenders. google it!!!
better chance

Chicago, IL

#2162 Dec 12, 2011
Mastic known for 1/2 way homes, sober homes, section 8 hud homes, illegal appartment and slum landlords all over then between them all are the 400 sex offenders that live in Mastic beach to mastic!

Name that town for what it really is?
better chance

Saint James, NY

#2163 Dec 12, 2011
better chance wrote:
Mastic known for 1/2 way homes, sober homes, section 8 hud homes, illegal appartment and slum landlords all over then between them all are the 400 sex offenders that live in Mastic beach to mastic!
Name that town for what it really is?
I guess you're lucky Google corrects your spelling. Where do you hail from and if I Google it will it be known for greatness?

Since: Apr 09

Center Moriches, NY

#2164 Dec 13, 2011
better chance wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess you're lucky Google corrects your spelling. Where do you hail from and if I Google it will it be known for greatness?
Wasteing your time. Low life from ILL?
Franks vision team

Chicago, IL

#2165 Dec 14, 2011
We are looking to rename Mastic - to a Slum

or maybe Ghetto?

howabout Crime infested village?

Loserville?

Illegals & Sexoffenders village?
Franks vision team

Chicago, IL

#2166 Dec 14, 2011
what a drug infested Ghetto.
Harry

Holbrook, NY

#2167 Dec 17, 2011
I just purchased a home on Monroe Dr down by the water, I plan on mkaing it my permanent residence, The home is in need a some repair, which I had planned on doing before the new year, Unfortunatly I did not realize being in the Village meant a lot of different rules. I now had to hire an Architect to have buidling plans drawn up , I then have to apply to the village board for a permit...then I can't hire any Suffolk County Licensed Contractor , They have to be registered in the village . All this is TAKING TIME !!! with any luck I hope to be in by the summer... So what started out as a simple remodelis becoming a time consuing project,, I can only hope in the end it is all worth it ,Too all my new neighbors near Monroe & Forrest I apologize I have not been able to do with the house as of yet, But work will begin soon,( I hope )
One Big Town

Chicago, IL

#2168 Dec 17, 2011
(One Big Town) mastic to medford then back to Shirley) it all is a trashy slum, with low low low life losers.
One Big Town

Chicago, IL

#2169 Dec 17, 2011
Change it to Gunnagetrobbed
Flynn

Saint James, NY

#2170 Dec 17, 2011
You left out Bellport, Riverhead, Brentwood, Port Jeff Station, Coram, Selden, Central Islip, Wyandanch, Huntington Station, Freeport, Uniondale....
Flynn

Saint James, NY

#2171 Dec 17, 2011
Patchogue...
Evan Politico

Hicksville, NY

#2172 Dec 17, 2011
Peeps be shootin gatz in Ronkonkoma too Yo! Trash Island Yo!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Holtsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Race War (Nov '14) 20 hr John Albert 12
News NESCONSET: Man charged in theft of Turkey Trot ... (Jan '08) Mon Tamgirl 16
What is the story behind the real suicides of H... (Jun '07) May 30 Douchebagatelle Rd 34
News The Artist's Fall Collection (Feb '08) May 28 robkail 22
News Retired Teacher From Holbrook Arrested For Chil... (Jan '13) May 28 Happy not 3
News Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) May 27 cheer the f up 121,918
News Angie Carpenter, Islip supervisor, optimistic a... May 21 not optimistic 11
More from around the web

Holtsville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]