Mastic Beach residents petition to become village

Jan 13, 2010 Full story: Newsday 2,021

A group of Mastic Beach residents wants its waterfront community to become the first new village to incorporate in New York State in four years, and Brookhaven Town will soon hold a hearing on the proposal.

Full Story
First Prev
of 102
Next Last
MB Village Supporter

Yonkers, NY

#1 Jan 14, 2010
Congratulations to all the hard working volunteers for getting the petition, inhabitant list, and borders application submitted to the Town Supervisor.

This volunteer effort could not have been accomplished without massive community support. Volunteers walked the streets collecting petition signatures, and enumerating inhabitants as is required by Village Law of NY.

The Newsday story was well written, but did contain one misstatement. The tax burden for each home in the village will be approximately $100 but that money is already being collected by Town of Brookhaven for the operation of town services. Once MB becomes a village, those taxes will be directly reimbursed to the Village.

The village will be better able to control the blight caused by careless absentee landlords, and require the vacant houses be maintained. Because the village will be run by the people who live in it. The village will adopt most of Brookhaven's laws, but they will be better endorsed. Property values should increase, as well as a better quality of life.

All people of Mastic Beach should attend the public hearing which will be posted once the Town Supervisor, Mr Lesko, finishes his review of the application. Your voice is important, so is your vote.
guest11967

AOL

#2 Jan 14, 2010
Is there a time frame that the Supervisor must finish his review?
Great job by all. Too bad the Smith Point bozo's can't get it together so that they could reach the point that you all have.
Really

Stratford, CT

#3 Jan 14, 2010
Do you really think that ANYONE will be mayor for free!? What happens when the mayor decides they should be paid? Where will that money come from? If the mayor decides to go to Florida for 2 month, what then? How is adding a new layer of government going to help? If people think all of this will take place without taxes being raise, then you are ignorant. I see this as adding a new layer of expense, not help.
Mastic beach wake up

Bronx, NY

#4 Jan 14, 2010
Keep believing in the village.If they harass anyone who is on a state or federal program there will be so many law suites filed[which will be against you] that they are going to have to post big tax assessment increases to compensate for the awards.The town of brookhaven has attorneys on staff that know what they can do legally on these issues.You have to get the federal and state laws changed or to go at this as tyrants will bankrupt the village and you.The only people pushing this village are people looking to get a start position in the political field and it will be at your expense.Say NO to the village.I will not join or support it.
MB Village Supporter

Yonkers, NY

#5 Jan 15, 2010
guest11967 wrote:
Is there a time frame that the Supervisor must finish his review?
Great job by all. Too bad the Smith Point bozo's can't get it together so that they could reach the point that you all have.
The time frames for each step of the review are dictated by law. We believe the Supervisor will give the petition a thorough review, and that he will appreciate the tremendous amount of effort all done by volunteers.
MB Village Supporter

Yonkers, NY

#6 Jan 15, 2010
To "Really" and Wake Up" some people are against change. Some would rather let the sink get full of dirty dishes, rather than wash them.

Will anyone run for mayor, for no salary? Yes, because they care about their property investment, and even more, because they care about their friends and neighbors.

Will the position become salaried,in the future, is up to the elected village trustees. The trustees will be answerable to the people of the village who elected them. As the area prospers, there will be more revenues coming from mortgage transfer taxes, which you already pay, but some of the money stays in the village instead of all going to Town, County, and State.

As far as harassing poor people on "programs", the village will be going after problem properties owned by slumlords. It is the slumlord who allows poor, elderly, or handicapped people to live in substandard conditions.

The Village will make a positive difference by going after the most derelict houses and force the owners to fix them or pay fines (money that stays in the Village, too.)

I will not try to change your decision. I hope you vote NO, when the referendum (election) is held. The date for that will not be known until after the mandatory newspaper postings and a local public hearing.

Democracy-you decide
Mastic beach wake up

Bronx, NY

#7 Jan 16, 2010
The derelick houses is not the the actual problem.You missed the point.It is the crime ridden people who live in them that are protected by state and federal govt.Look at the village of Pathogue.It was a failure.There are still major problems that they can not and probably will not be correct.Look at the village of Bellport.The past mayor jumped ship because it got to overwhelming for him.Another failure.In Islandia I heard it is now up to about $800 for the village per year.We do not need to pay anymore politicians.We have to many already running the town.The bottom line is we need to either have the laws changed in the state and county or replace the senators and staff that are allowing these types of people to have any rights whatsoever to live in a civilized community.Again I hope the people of Masic Beach votes NO_NO_NO_NO to the village.
To Wake Up

Yonkers, NY

#8 Jan 16, 2010
At least some people are trying to make positive changes in Mastic Beach. The village is not going to be run by politicians. It will be run be people of Mastic Beach voted for by people of Mastic Beach. Do not compare a 100 year old village like Patchogue, to ours. We are only going to do code enforcement. If we can close down one house at a time, the landlords will get the message, and move elsewhere.

Voting NO is your right in a democracy. If you are registered, you can vote NO. But I am going to vote YES, and so are thousands of other future village residents, who are sick of letting slumlords ruin our beautiful town.
Retired

AOL

#9 Jan 16, 2010
What if the landlords are not really the problem as I see many homeowners with houses in need of repair that cannot afford it and when the car has to come off the road because they cant afford it the code guys will be there to write the tickets ,can we say we own the home and they will leave us alone because we will all vote them out for ticketing the homeowners and not the slumlords
Village Hotline

Yonkers, NY

#10 Jan 17, 2010
One of the ideas being suggested, is that the village maintain a help hotline. That could be an answering machine, or email based service where needy persons could notify the village officials of their needs. For example, an elderly person who cannot get out of his house due to snow to get needed medicine. The village volunteers could help by either shoveling, or going to pick up the medicine.

This is only one idea being discussed. How will it be funded? Mostly by volunteering, which is a positive reinforcement of the good will of the people of Mastic Beach. The village will also be a 501(c)(3) entity, eligible to receive tax deductible contributions which could be used for eligible village causes.

The people of Mastic Beach are not vindictive, and the village will not be targeting poor homeowners.

Rich or poor, no one should ruin their neighbor's quality of life. Parking an unregistered car in the front of your house is a code violation in ANY town. Simply move the car to the side or backyard, and cover it. No fine if you fix problem within a reasonable time.

Uncut grass, another violation. Many houses are now vacant and the owners let the grass get too high. The village code will adopt Brookhaven code and if it gets too high, the owner must either cut or the village will hire a crew and bill the homeowner (banks are typical culprits). Getting back to the needy poor, who can't afford to cut their grass, maybe the village can support a teen lawn care service funded by neighbors or donations.

There are many possibilities, and YOU, as a village resident, can suggest positive ideas to the trustees, to make Mastic Beach a nicer, friendlier place to live.

I personally, have shoveled my neighbors out and I have mowed their grass, because I care. This will not be the kind of village that worries what color your front door is, rather it will worry that you have a door.

If you have not had an opportunity to attend one of the 20+ meetings held since the village effort started, please go to the next one. You can talk to any of the village supporters who will answer any question you have. Please keep an open mind.
Clean it Up

Westhampton Beach, NY

#11 Jan 17, 2010
I'm totally in support of this idea and hope that all the hard work will pay off. As for the poor homeowners, it doesn't cost very much to maintain the appearence of your home. Making excuses for lazy people, unless they are elderly or disabled is not warranted. Someone having a boat or car on their unmowed front lawn and then saying i'm too poor to clean it up is a slob plain and simple.
Really

Stratford, CT

#12 Jan 18, 2010
First off, I'm for change. I would love to see this town cleaned up. I happen to own a house here, that I bought as a HUD home, and spent 5 years renovating. It's a nice little bungalow by the water, all around me are run down homes. How exactly is a village going to solve this?! Most of the homes are owned, not rentals. How can a village rep come in and tell someone that they have to plant plants and get rid of the weeds in their front yards or they'll get a fine? For that matter, how could they come in and tell all the sec.8 to leave? You can't!

The biggest problem that I have with the village is that the Village officials will want to take the MB Property Owners Club House and turn it into their "town hall". If it's in writing that if The Village is passed, the MB Property Owners can keep their club house, I would be more willing to vote yes. Will that happen? Will the village people put in writing that the MBPOA will be able to keep their clubhouse if a village is formed? My understanding is that the village committee wont put anything in writing because then someone could come back to it at a later date and reference it.

Also, if I want to put a new addition on to my house, I will need to go through another layer of gov. to get approval. Let's hope anyone that applies for a permit is on friendly terms with the town officials or you'll be out of luck. I was all for the Village when it first started, but there are way to many questions that are unanswered. I know, come to a meeting and ask them. I did and they were passed over with a "we already talked about this". The people that you have to convince aren't the people at the meetings, but the ones that don't show up. The people at the meeting are for the most part, on board with the Village, you need to convince the rest of the people in the town. I feel all we get is "just vote yes, and then it will all be explained later".

Oh, and that budget is a JOKE! Also, it's not a 'if you're for the Village, you care about our community, if you don't then you're afraid of change!' Give me a break. I see a lot of positive things happening in Mastic Beach done by people who aren't for the Village. It's not an all or nothing situation.

Change will not come because we vote in a Village. Change will only come when hardworking families buy homes and stay in them. Change will come when people know their neighbors name that lives 3 houses down. Change will come when the scum is priced out and decent people move in. I don't see how a village can do that. Turning Mastic Beach into a Village won't make you property values go up over night either.

I heard about change in our last election with Obama, and so far he's a huge let down. I feel that this is a similar situation. How let down will everybody feel if a Village is voted in, taxes go up, and we still can't do anything to improve our town?

So yes, I am for change, just not your change.
Mastic beach wake up

Bronx, NY

#13 Jan 18, 2010
REALLY---I am with you 100%.The village is going to have their hands tied just as the town has and the only outcome will be higher taxes with the same senario.We are already paying the town to take care of the problems and as the time goes by the laws are changing giving the town more power to take aggressive action on the code enforcement problems.The only people on this site that are pushing for the village are probably people who have a job waiting for them or a family member with a paid position within a few years.Forming the village just for code enforcement issues is ludicrous. The village will have no more control of over these issues as does the town .People are always complaining about double taxation well that is what you will be creating voluntarily.Now that is really a pathetic move by any taxpayer who has 1/2 a brain.Sorry I do not mean to offend anyone.I only am trying to evade the brainwashing that these people who are doing to you that are just looking to start a political career out of this not caring about the area or the taxpayers that are footing the double taxation bills.Which is you.Say NO NO NO NO to the village and save yourself future regret and higher taxes which at that point will be to late.
Mastic beach wake up

Bronx, NY

#14 Jan 18, 2010
Besides the above statement I hope also people read my input on MASTIC BEACH WAKE UP on Jan14 & Jan 15. These are the missing pieces to the puzzle of saying no to the village.I am one owner who been through the mill by a slumlord across the street from me.I know how there protected as I got to know a lot of people in the legislature,town and police dept.I had in the past few years 3 sets of tenants removed from that house.I been through it all overcrowding,drugs and harassment.Been shot at,windows broken, life threaten etc.Stood focused and had each one removed.I am now contemplating a law suit on the landlord as I have a huge file on this house.Thank you for your interest and hope you now have a better insight into the village leaders and staffs real intentions.I noticed a name of one on a flyer that ran for a town position and failed.What a coincidence she is listed now as a staff member of the village.Does she even live in mastic beach?Very interesting.Wake up community and say NO NO NO NO to the village.Pass these statements to anyone you know who lives in the area.
Dear Wake Up

Yonkers, NY

#15 Jan 19, 2010
If any bit of your story about being "shot at" or your life being threatened is true, it is very understandable that you would be upset. But, blaming a village, which has not even yet formed is misguided.

The Town enacted a law in 1999 to specifically go after absentee landlords, the law requires rental permits and is not well enforced.

You have raised a question about the residency of one of the village members, who you know personally. She is a member and her residence is in the boundaries of the future village of MB.

Forming the village to fight code violators IS not ludicrous. The only cases the village justice will pursue will be Mastic Beach village cases. And, all fines will be put into the village treasury, not given to town, county, or state of NY.

The village is going to be put up to a vote, eventually, and the residents can decide to either vote yes, for a change, or vote no and let the wounds fester.

Since: Dec 07

Mastic Beach N.Y.

#16 Jan 19, 2010
Mastic beach wake up wrote:
Besides the above statement I hope also people read my input on MASTIC BEACH WAKE UP on Jan14 & Jan 15. These are the missing pieces to the puzzle of saying no to the village.I am one owner who been through the mill by a slumlord across the street from me.I know how there protected as I got to know a lot of people in the legislature,town and police dept.I had in the past few years 3 sets of tenants removed from that house.I been through it all overcrowding,drugs and harassment.Been shot at,windows broken, life threaten etc.Stood focused and had each one removed.I am now contemplating a law suit on the landlord as I have a huge file on this house.Thank you for your interest and hope you now have a better insight into the village leaders and staffs real intentions.I noticed a name of one on a flyer that ran for a town position and failed.What a coincidence she is listed now as a staff member of the village.Does she even live in mastic beach?Very interesting.Wake up community and say NO NO NO NO to the village.Pass these statements to anyone you know who lives in the area.
Sorry,not one of your post's ring's true.I'd be kinda embarrassed to "pass along" your statement's.I'm very excited about the prospect of MB becoming a village,you see,it's time that people in the area banded together to take back the community,creating a village is a great way to do this.I think your remark about "double taxation" is nonsense,as are your remark's about crushing litigation and taking of private property.I'm not quite sure what you mean when you show 3 example's of supposedly "failed" village's,what is your criteria for success?Not to mention that out of the HUNDRED'S of village's in N.Y. you can only come up with 3 supposed failure's-pretty good odd's no matter how you look at it.I guess it come's down to the question of wether you trust this area and it's people to run this place better than it is being run now.I'll pass you by as you shout NO NO NO NO ,and vote YES,you don't scare me

“starting to wake up”

Since: Apr 09

brookhaven ny

#17 Jan 19, 2010
mbv well be# 4 failure
Question mark

Stratford, CT

#18 Jan 19, 2010
sandman714 wrote:
mbv well be# 4 failure
What does this mean?
really

Stratford, CT

#19 Jan 20, 2010
How come no one is commenting on the fact that the village, if elected, plans on taking away the club house from the MBPOA. The village gets the house while the MBPOA keeps the parking lot around the club house. Tell me that's not a recipe for more in town fighting. How will the village have access to the club house if the MBPOA wont let them cross the parking lot. And no, I'm not associated with the MBPOA, I just think it's funny that the MBVEC wont acknowledge this issue. Sort of like they don't want anyone to know! It's just odd, that's all I'm saying.

Also, my thoughts on a mayor running for office without pay is;
A) they have an ulterior motive which will be revealed at a later date, or
B) they are independently wealthy, which will mean they are out of touch with the common man in Mastic Beach, or
C) they will do it for one term, realize how much work is involved and demand to be payed, or
D) they wont spend any time working as mayor.

Also, is the MBVEC really trying to pass this village off as "The poor mans village"? Do we really want to label it 'the poor mans village'? Aren't we trying to lure a classier group of people to this area? The poor mans village won't do.

Also, when the first 'slip and fall' lawsuit is filed against the village of Mastic Beach, where will this money come from, volunteers?(you know, because the village will be run by ALL volunteers)
It is time

Yaphank, NY

#20 Jan 20, 2010
If you did any reasearch on any of the village mayors, you'll find that they are all part time positions and non salaried. Villages will pay a "stipend" for expenses but one could not live on it.
Of anybody here that's not for the village, have any of you gone to a Brookhaven town meeting? Have any of you voiced a concern to the town board? Have any of you had a problem or concern addressed in a timely matter by the town board? Or have you walked away feeling ignored? The Inc. Village of Mastic Beach will do away with that. As a village, you will be heard and addressed because the village board will only be concerned with village business.
It's time for the village. I want to take control of my neighborhood. I want to be heard. So will you. I welcome this change.
Those of you that are against the formation of the village, have you been to the monthly meetings at the firehouse? Have you asked the guest speakers questions? Have you asked the committee members questions? Have you volunteered any time to find out the true facts of the village?
I for one have been to as many meetings that I can attend, have volunteered time as much as time permits. I have listened and sought answers. I suggest you do the same.
Rather then posting on an annonymous message board and attempting to instill fear the negitives of a village with unsubstantiated comments, come to the office or a meeting and get the facts, get answers to questions, and please back up your comments with facts.
Peter J.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 102
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Holtsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 1 hr Up yours and chee... 119,690
Aunt paroled in 1983 murder of niece, 5, in NY (May '09) 8 hr Lili 15
Race War Thu Brooklynn 10
Slime Bags (May '12) Dec 20 Busted 16
Subway (May '14) Dec 18 Taxes Due 3
10,000 packets of heroin seized in Smithtown dr... (Nov '08) Dec 15 Streetrunner 153
Old-Portion-Road-1891 (Apr '09) Dec 12 John 6

Holtsville News Video

Holtsville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Holtsville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Holtsville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Holtsville

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 5:04 am PST

Bleacher Report 5:04AM
New York Jets vs. Miami Dolphins: Complete Week 17 Preview for Miami
NBC Sports 5:09 AM
Friday morning one-liners
NBC Sports 7:52 AM
Antrel Rolle knows finishing well no guarantee 2015 will be any better for Giants
Bleacher Report10:07 AM
Giants RB Williams Questionable for Week 17
NBC Sports10:35 AM
Vick talks future, wants to keep playing - NBC Sports