Mult-vehicle crash kills driver, injures two in Hauppauge

Full story: Newsday

One driver was killed and two others injured in a three-car crash in Hauppauge Monday night, the Suffolk police said.

Comments (Page 2)

Showing posts 21 - 40 of101
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
wake up

Suffern, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2007

Vinny wrote:
The woman ran a red light and made no attempt to stop. I witnessed the crash she was going at least 70-80 mph.
hmmm ...really "vinny" then i'm sure you'll be calling the # since they're looking for witnesses like you.
Mike

Hauppauge, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2007

Yea, Vinny, if you really saw the accident, get in touch with 4th precinct--they are looking for witnesses as the above poster pointed out. I saw the after-effects of the accident last night, a little after midnight. It looked really bad--the car in the middle, presumably the one that was struck first, was really bent up. So sad that it cost a life :-(. Judging from the fact that two cars were headed south on OW, I imagine the westbound driver on 454 blew the light, as everyone has pointed out. Wish there were more details from newsday here....

My condolences to the family.
thogy

Kearny, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2007

Vinny wrote:
The woman ran a red light and made no attempt to stop. I witnessed the crash she was going at least 70-80 mph.
If this is true I certainly hope you made or will make a statement to the police so this bitch is found guilty of criminally negligent homicide and the family of the man she killed is compensated with a wrongful death settlement paid by the unlucky insurance company that took this piece of shit on as a customer.
Jimmy In mD

Abingdon, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2007

Vinny wrote:
If you did see it please call and talk to the cops at the number in the article..
Keith was a good man,father and freind...
sad

Hightstown, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2007

This was someone I know's friend who died.. its horribly tragic. That intersection is awful, it is very large and there is no left turn signal to go eastbound on vets hwy from old willets path. If someone blew a red light, then a turn signal probably wouldn't have done anything, but someone could at least take a step to make that intersection safer. At that time of night, the person going east on 454 probably came flying off the northern state pkwy and wasn't paying attention that it was no longer a highway and that there were lights. Or just had no regard for the lights or someone else's life.
shame

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2007

i guess somebody wasn't following the popes' 10 commandments for driving....
Lou

Bethpage, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2007

thogy wrote:
I called the police precinct last year to alert them to a problem with this intersection, as well as Old Willets as it meets Motor Parkway by the LIE, to tell them of rampant red light violations at evening and morning rush hour. They didn't seem to care.
So I went on the Suffolk Police website and e-mailed them that someone is going to get killed by a red light violator. Actually got a reply phone call as well as an e-mail saying they would check it out but of course they didn't do a thing. They said they would have cars there to monitor the situation between 5pm and 6pm, never saw one police car, and they were not using ummarked cars as people still went thru the red lights unchecked.
I also see plenty of peopl continually going thru light as it goes from orange to red right in front of police station! Once a cruiser was at the light a couple cars back at a red waiting and sure enough a few cars go throught the red and of course he was oblivious to it.
As a side note, he then proceeded to make a left from Old Willets onto Vets without his turn signal on. Duffus. Probably a high ranking officer too.
Answer: Start ticketing red light violations at rush hour for a month. Revenue goes up, with all the people going thru lights I am sure it will pay for the extra manpower with money left over to hire competent officers to replace the useless ones that need to retire.
People will learn to slow down and not go thru lights, lives are saved.
This is such a simple thing to do I do not understand why some overpaid cop sitting behind a desk cannot figure this out!
It is going to take one of their own to die before they do anything! SLOW DOWN L>I> whats the rush anyway?
Luv Chicken Tikka

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2007

If you are driving south and make a left you are now going east, no?
Jack wrote:
OK, if he was heading south and turning left to go westbound, and she was already westbound, didn't someone have to go through a red light???
Waldo Leidecker

Greensboro, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2007

I was born and raised on LI, emigrated 17 years ago and went back to visit in 2003. Even then I couldn't believe the drivers - it was like one giant NASCAR race track. Even in the right(slow???)lane if you did the speed limit everyone was up your butt. Maybe more agressive enforcement of the speed limits would help - if the cops can even CATCH some of these Richard Petty wanna be's.
FEDUP

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2007

Someone had to have had a RED light!
Lou

Bethpage, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2007

Waldo Leidecker wrote:
I was born and raised on LI, emigrated 17 years ago and went back to visit in 2003. Even then I couldn't believe the drivers - it was like one giant NASCAR race track. Even in the right(slow???)lane if you did the speed limit everyone was up your butt. Maybe more agressive enforcement of the speed limits would help - if the cops can even CATCH some of these Richard Petty wanna be's.
Which Cops? There are never any around! I pray to God every single morning that I get to work. The parkways on L.I. are a free for all.
carol

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2007

Vinny wrote:
i HOPE YOU CONTACTED THE POLICE AND MADE A REPORT.
hmmmmm

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2007

Jack wrote:
OK, if he was heading south and turning left to go westbound, and she was already westbound, didn't someone have to go through a red light???
Let's try this again... Driving "south" on LI I think one would have to make a "right" to go westbound. But my guess is you're probably correct about the light.
Vinny

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2007

I already called the police about it. So yes I did contact someone about the incident
Nurse

Commack, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2007

Vinny wrote:
Did you give your witness report to the police?
Nurse

Commack, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2007

Did you give your eye witness report to the police?
Vinny

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2007

This is what happend.

I was in the right lane heading west on Vets Highway. The light at the intersection of old willits and vets was red. traffic was stopped eastbound on vets as well so both lights were red. Traffic was moving on old willits heading southbound. About 100 yards from the red light i was preparing to stop. then out of knowwhere a maxima flys past me at about 80mph in the left lane. the car makes no attempt to stop as it approaches the red light, not once had the driver even hit the brakes. she flew threw the intersection and t-boned the man in the truck. This light was red for a long time and was not yellow at any point. Id say that when she past me it took about 5 seconds to hit the intercetion. she had plenty of time to stop being that we were about 100 yards away when she passed me.

And again I already spoke to a detective about the accident.

Since: Apr 07

Lon Gisland

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2007

Vinny wrote:
This is what happend.
I was in the right lane heading west on Vets Highway. The light at the intersection of old willits and vets was red. traffic was stopped eastbound on vets as well so both lights were red. Traffic was moving on old willits heading southbound. About 100 yards from the red light i was preparing to stop. then out of knowwhere a maxima flys past me at about 80mph in the left lane. the car makes no attempt to stop as it approaches the red light, not once had the driver even hit the brakes. she flew threw the intersection and t-boned the man in the truck. This light was red for a long time and was not yellow at any point. Id say that when she past me it took about 5 seconds to hit the intercetion. she had plenty of time to stop being that we were about 100 yards away when she passed me.
And again I already spoke to a detective about the accident.
Plenty of time to stop? At 80 mph to cover 100 yards?

She would have require 267.1 feet to stop.
tomdvi55

Warminster, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2007

Keith was one of the good guys.
this was senseless and he will leave a giant hole in many peoples hearts
Pete

Monroe, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2007

yosemite102442 wrote:
This is one of the may reasons I have decided to leave Long Island. Our town, county and state officials do not seem to care or take the appropriate action to correct the problem. As high as our taxes are, we should have a patrol car and every single traffic light in Suffolk county.
Good riddance Long Island........
You may have noticed that the driver of the Maxima that allegedly went through the light is from Rhode Island, not LONG Island......Drivers suck everywhere and you're not getting away from it no matter where you go. Of course you could always buy a coffee plantation in Costa Rica....

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 40 of101
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••

Holtsville News Video

•••
Holtsville Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Holtsville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••