Mult-vehicle crash kills driver, injures two in Hauppauge

Full story: Newsday 101
One driver was killed and two others injured in a three-car crash in Hauppauge Monday night, the Suffolk police said. Full Story
First Prev
of 6
Next Last
kschack

Rockville Centre, NY

#1 Jun 19, 2007
People are driving way too fast. I've seen drivers going at high speeds weave in and out of traffic, turn on red lights, not stop at stop signs and have a basic disregard for other drivers. The hands free law is a joke. I still see plenty of people chatting it up while driving. This combination is lethal.
There are far too many highway fatalities. They could be prevented if everyone slowed down a bit and payed a bit more atention to what's going on around them.
Slappy White

Wallington, NJ

#2 Jun 19, 2007
When are people going to learn how to drive?
Jack

Lindenhurst, NY

#3 Jun 19, 2007
OK, if he was heading south and turning left to go westbound, and she was already westbound, didn't someone have to go through a red light???
Speedy Gonzalez

Pleasanton, CA

#4 Jun 19, 2007
Journalism 101: Who, what, where, when, and how. There seems to be missing information. Somebody went through a stop sign or red light....
flat foot

Bronx, NY

#5 Jun 19, 2007
Jack wrote:
OK, if he was heading south and turning left to go westbound, and she was already westbound, didn't someone have to go through a red light???
My money is on the female driver heading WB on 454
Debbie

Brooklyn, NY

#6 Jun 19, 2007
That intersection is a nightmare. I used to work at Community Hospital in Smithtown, and we got so many fatalities from that intersection.
Batman

Bronx, NY

#7 Jun 19, 2007
Jack wrote:
NO WAY!!!! THAT'S UNHEARD OF!!!!!
Batman

Bronx, NY

#8 Jun 19, 2007
Speedy Gonzalez wrote:
Journalism 101: Who, what, where, when, and how. There seems to be missing information. Somebody went through a stop sign or red light....
Common Sense 101: What's missing is a witness. Victims were in the hospital, statements were not made public. Until then we can only speculate.
Batman

Bronx, NY

#9 Jun 19, 2007
Jack wrote:
Actually if you are Southbound and you make a left, you are now Eastbound.
JOHN

Bronx, NY

#10 Jun 19, 2007
I agree with debbie i hate making a eastbound turn comming south on old willits path
carol

United States

#11 Jun 19, 2007
Jack wrote:
My understanding is that she blew through the red light.
carol

United States

#12 Jun 19, 2007
flat foot wrote:
<quoted text>
My money is on the female driver heading WB on 454
unfortunatley you would be correct. I
Deer Park red light rerun

West New York, NJ

#13 Jun 19, 2007
Jack wrote:
Yes, of course. It was a southbound car on Old Willets Path, turning left to go EASTbound on Veteran's Highway, right next to the headquarters of the Suffolk County Police Department. One thing for sure, there could not have been a green light for both southbound Old Willets Path and westbound Veteran's Highway traffic simultaneously. Once again, the old RED LIGHT problem!

I've seen drivers go through red lights (after they look to see that no police vehicle is in the immediate vicinity), and even make LEFT TURNS on red lights (mid-light, not just "cutting corners") in broad daylight in Suffolk County.

We are moving into an era of defiant and open vehicular anarchy. Police take note! Non-enforcement of traffic laws just causes more flagrant violations. This is NOT good!

If the police would enforce the laws, the fines would more than pay for their salaries. In fact, at the present rates of deadly violations, the fines would bring in handsome revenues, which could be used to lower county and local taxes.

Enforcement would also save lives and lower medical insurance costs, and thus lower the costs for medical insurance.

SO DO IT ALREADY!
Oh no Its Frank Again

New York, NY

#14 Jun 19, 2007
carol wrote:
<quoted text>
My understanding is that she blew through the red light.
Please tell us the source of your understanding.
DIXIE CHOPPER

Palm City, FL

#15 Jun 19, 2007
Speedy Gonzalez wrote:
What's a MULT accident??
thogy

Kearny, NJ

#16 Jun 19, 2007
I called the police precinct last year to alert them to a problem with this intersection, as well as Old Willets as it meets Motor Parkway by the LIE, to tell them of rampant red light violations at evening and morning rush hour. They didn't seem to care.

So I went on the Suffolk Police website and e-mailed them that someone is going to get killed by a red light violator. Actually got a reply phone call as well as an e-mail saying they would check it out but of course they didn't do a thing. They said they would have cars there to monitor the situation between 5pm and 6pm, never saw one police car, and they were not using ummarked cars as people still went thru the red lights unchecked.
I also see plenty of peopl continually going thru light as it goes from orange to red right in front of police station! Once a cruiser was at the light a couple cars back at a red waiting and sure enough a few cars go throught the red and of course he was oblivious to it.
As a side note, he then proceeded to make a left from Old Willets onto Vets without his turn signal on. Duffus. Probably a high ranking officer too.

Answer: Start ticketing red light violations at rush hour for a month. Revenue goes up, with all the people going thru lights I am sure it will pay for the extra manpower with money left over to hire competent officers to replace the useless ones that need to retire.
People will learn to slow down and not go thru lights, lives are saved.

This is such a simple thing to do I do not understand why some overpaid cop sitting behind a desk cannot figure this out!
Jim Sig

Bel Air, MD

#17 Jun 19, 2007
Keith...always a good friend and my computer savior...always enjoyed our BS sessions at DVI in the AM before anyone else came in.. You were a good friend and a great DAD. All of us at DVI will miss you.... OK...the Rangers dont suck... you happy I said it... Love ya bro...
Vinny

AOL

#18 Jun 19, 2007
The woman ran a red light and made no attempt to stop. I witnessed the crash she was going at least 70-80 mph.
yosemite102442

Yorktown Heights, NY

#19 Jun 19, 2007
This is one of the may reasons I have decided to leave Long Island. Our town, county and state officials do not seem to care or take the appropriate action to correct the problem. As high as our taxes are, we should have a patrol car and every single traffic light in Suffolk county.

Good riddance Long Island........
wiw

United States

#20 Jun 19, 2007
Red light cameras would certainly stop some people after a few hefty fines.

They are alleged to have 'caused' additional accidents, as people adjusted to the unfamiliar habits of actually stopping for red lights, but the rear end collisions resulting are seldom as serious as the t bone type which is the basis of this story.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Holtsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 8 hr scirocco 119,696
Solar farm in shoreham 22 hr Rollo 1
Arrest Report: DWI, Criminal Possession (Nov '11) Fri Ginger 16
Aunt paroled in 1983 murder of niece, 5, in NY (May '09) Fri Lili 15
Race War Dec 25 Brooklynn 10
Slime Bags (May '12) Dec 20 Busted 16
Two arrested in Holtsville home invasion case - (Aug '07) Dec 4 Crest1210 170

Holtsville News Video

Holtsville Dating
Find my Match