Veterans irked by Eddington's "Vietna...

Veterans irked by Eddington's "Vietnam Vet" claim -

There are 79 comments on the Newsday story from Nov 1, 2007, titled Veterans irked by Eddington's "Vietnam Vet" claim -. In it, Newsday reports that:

On and off the campaign trail, Suffolk Legis. Jack Eddington has told voters and residents he's a Vietnam veteran.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Farmingville Vet

United States

#61 Nov 2, 2007
LIer wrote:
<quoted text>
Just how old are you, anyway?
I'm 83. Why?
Janet

Cape Coral, FL

#62 Nov 3, 2007
Jack Eddington will do the best job for us, as he has in the past. Go by a persons merits, not someone trying to discredit, a wonderful man, he is there at a moments notice. He has been there for me, I appreciate all the Jack Eddington has done for my town as well as surrounding towns
He is the BEST so Keep Jack Eddington
Remember to VOTE Nov 6 2007
YOU GO JACK EDDINGTON HE HAS MY VOTE
Janet -Medford

Cape Coral, FL

#63 Nov 3, 2007
KEEP Jack Eddington,he will always follow thru with his promises. Why try to discredit a man of his word, he is the Best there is, he has done so much Good for us in the past, and he will continue to Be there for us, at Least he served to protect all of us there are many that say they will and then do as they please. He has cleaned up so many places where people fear to go, he is for the people of Suffolk County,so you go Jack Eddington, he has helped so many too numerous to count. He is for the Seniors,the students,and the working class people. He is for the disabled ( who at times have problems that they cannot solve) So many people have been helped by Jack Eddington, he will not smear others, But by they sure are trying to smear his name, Not good in my book and I do vote,So Keep Jack Eddington A Man Who will help those in need, He has my Blessings and my VOTE
Jack Eddington will be re-elected. ON Nov 6 2007 JACK EDDINGTON AND STEVE LEVY A TRUE POWERFUL TEAM KEEP JACK EDDINGTON
Addition from Saigon

Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

#64 Nov 3, 2007
I'm a liberal Democrat, so no politics come to the fore in these remarks: If you are not a veteran of the war in Vietnam, then you are not a Vietnam veteran. It's that simple. It's admirable that this candidate served his country, but it's disappointing that he's trying to trade on the 'allure' of Vietnam to enhance his candidacy.
Vet

Mamaroneck, NY

#65 Nov 3, 2007
This guy volunteered to served his country during wartime when it wasn't popular to do so. He is taking stand on the immigration issue when it isn't popular to do so. He is consistent in my book.
What? You want him to say he served during the Vietnam war, but ohh, not actually in the Vietcong. He was in the Navy folks.
Another crap Chau Lam story that doesn't report facts, but is using information to be twisted to fit Newsday's political agenda.
Newsday should be ashemed of itself for running this type of story which is solely aimed to oust a dedicated public servant because they don't see yey to eye on one issue.
Army 03

Saint Albans, NY

#66 Nov 3, 2007
Vet wrote:
This guy volunteered to served his country during wartime when it wasn't popular to do so. He is taking stand on the immigration issue when it isn't popular to do so. He is consistent in my book.
What? You want him to say he served during the Vietnam war, but ohh, not actually in the Vietcong. He was in the Navy folks.
Another crap Chau Lam story that doesn't report facts, but is using information to be twisted to fit Newsday's political agenda.
Newsday should be ashemed of itself for running this type of story which is solely aimed to oust a dedicated public servant because they don't see yey to eye on one issue.
Sorry Bud. He lied to the public and he is an elected polotician...it's a story.
bemused

Hicksville, NY

#67 Nov 3, 2007
I honor and respect all of our veterans. However, being a veteran (unless you did something like Eisenhower) should not necessarily be an important part of your resume. I don't think anyone in the County legislature is about to lead anyone into combat. If Eddington was not pandering he would not have been embarrassed.
wiw

Fenton, MI

#68 Nov 3, 2007
Vet wrote:
You don't get it and I am ashamed you are a so called vet. He lied. If he wants my vote, he damn well better apologize [and not for slavery either] for lying or I vote him out.
statement

United States

#69 Nov 3, 2007
Army 03 wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry Bud. He lied to the public and he is an elected polotician...it's a story.
Being a politician and lying to the public is not a story! Its routine. Also, if a person was in the Army during WW2 but stayed state side guarding POWs or flew recon missions along the coast but never saw combat I would think he would still be a WW2 vet and not a WW2 era vet. Guess it could go either way, so where did this guy go wrong in his statement? I'm not defending him nor critizing him, fact being I never heard of him.
PATHETIC

Jersey City, NJ

#70 Nov 4, 2007
I have to tell you that this article reeks of Newsday trying to influence this very competitive race. And just because Brian Egan refused to comment didnt' mean that he or his supporters had something to do with the printing of this article. Besides, what could he say - he has no experience and that would have opened up a can of worms.
And if the poster to which I'm replying that an article like this is going to substantially impact the results of this race, keep dreaming.
As one poster correctly put it, at least he served his country honorably rather than donating a life time of aiding our corrupt court system.
TDT wrote:
<quoted text>
Anyone who has already donated to his campaign and is offended by his obvious misuse of the term
"Vietnam vet" should send a letter to the address above and ask for a refund.
a Veteran or just a vet

United States

#71 Nov 5, 2007
Vet wrote:
had you learned to read and write, you'd know that no one said Eddington did not serve. He just did not serve in Vietnam...unless we've moved all the ocean southeast of us to Asia without notifying the rest of the world. Oh, and yes, no one can see "yey to eye" on any issue.
Murph

United States

#72 Nov 5, 2007
I'm a vet and I'm voting for Eddington.
Shubert Brookside

Boxborough, MA

#73 Nov 8, 2007
nicademus wrote:
<quoted text>
I rememeber the Boorda incident,died May 1996 of a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the chest. But it had nothing to do with a VSM. He was reported to be despondent over a news media investigation into Valor device enhancements he wore on his Navy Achievement Medal and a Navy Commendation Medal (small brass Vs, signifying valor in combat), which the media report claimed he was probably not entitled to wear. It was later determined that he had, indeed, earned the devices in question.
The ring knockers from the Academy were angry that Boorda was made CNO because he went from enlisted all the way up to Admiral. Officers who don't go to the Academies are treated very differently in all the branches from the ring knockers.
Phillip Brame

United States

#74 Nov 8, 2007
Well ladies and gents I thinkas veterans we need to stick together, the man is a veteran of us military service. As long as he received an honorable discharge from his branch then he is ok with me no matter what era. We all know as veterans living the military lifestyle was and is not easy, ok ok unless you were in the Air Force, lololololo. Give the man his due respect. So what he embelished we all do it sooner or later. I say as veterans you have to get what you can when you can. For all of the sacrifices for all of the long weeks and months away from loved ones and family for all of the life events we have missed because of our service for all of the freedoms that we all enjoy for all of our fallen brothern I say Happy Veterans Day and Semper Fidelis.
lol

Belmont, MA

#75 Nov 8, 2007
Phillip Brame wrote:
Well ladies and gents I thinkas veterans we need to stick together, the man is a veteran of us military service. As long as he received an honorable discharge from his branch then he is ok with me no matter what era. We all know as veterans living the military lifestyle was and is not easy, ok ok unless you were in the Air Force, lololololo. Give the man his due respect. So what he embelished we all do it sooner or later. I say as veterans you have to get what you can when you can. For all of the sacrifices for all of the long weeks and months away from loved ones and family for all of the life events we have missed because of our service for all of the freedoms that we all enjoy for all of our fallen brothern I say Happy Veterans Day and Semper Fidelis.
Excusing lies is a disgusting thing to do.

Hitler liked his dogs too.
Phillip Brame

United States

#76 Nov 9, 2007
Oh come on we have been excusing the lies of a President now for 4 or 5 years. I do not hear you call for his resignation or empeachment. That is politics.
lol

Buffalo, NY

#77 Nov 9, 2007
Phillip Brame wrote:
Oh come on we have been excusing the lies of a President now for 4 or 5 years. I do not hear you call for his resignation or empeachment. That is politics.
You have have ben, but I most certainly was not.
Henry Rhea

United States

#78 Nov 18, 2007
Hi Bob. Thanks for the link. You provide a tremendous service to those who want to know about Viet Nam and the veterans who served there with your posts and the links you provide.

As a Viet Nam vet myself, I resent anyone who didn't serve in country calling themselves Viet Nam Vets, and view them as frauds, imposters, wannabe's.

It's strange to me how now we are "In." I appreciate the respect we are finally being given, but I still have some trouble adjusting to that and responding appropriately sometimes.

Henry
fwiw

United States

#79 Nov 18, 2007
Henry Rhea wrote:
Hi Bob. Thanks for the link. You provide a tremendous service to those who want to know about Viet Nam and the veterans who served there with your posts and the links you provide.
As a Viet Nam vet myself, I resent anyone who didn't serve in country calling themselves Viet Nam Vets, and view them as frauds, imposters, wannabe's.
It's strange to me how now we are "In." I appreciate the respect we are finally being given, but I still have some trouble adjusting to that and responding appropriately sometimes.
Henry
I sure understand. I was in the AUS from 8/63 to 8/65, with the Gulf of Tonkin resolution smack in the middle of that service, but never got closer to the action than Oakland. I NEVER EVER claim to have been on the ground.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Holtsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
all drownings (Jun '07) 3 hr Red Man 50
ralphs fishing station (Apr '12) 12 hr Ralphie 20
Hookups in sayville (Jul '16) Sat Philly Freeze 39
Moving To Patchogue ? (Oct '14) Jul 19 Peter Bamboli 10
News Arrest in bank robbery string (Apr '14) Jul 19 sussie 5
Giant Garage Sale (Jun '14) Jul 17 Sticky Fingers 22
News Moriches Man Charged With Home Improvement Scam (Feb '11) Jul 16 Guilty Dave 15

Holtsville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Holtsville Mortgages