Veterans irked by Eddington's "Vietna...

Veterans irked by Eddington's "Vietnam Vet" claim -

There are 79 comments on the Newsday story from Nov 1, 2007, titled Veterans irked by Eddington's "Vietnam Vet" claim -. In it, Newsday reports that:

On and off the campaign trail, Suffolk Legis. Jack Eddington has told voters and residents he's a Vietnam veteran.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Faust

Shirley, NY

#1 Nov 1, 2007
The folks making a fuss over this are class a morons.

He served his country, that is all we ask.
liberial

Bronx, NY

#2 Nov 1, 2007
Faust wrote:
Yes you are a moron of the supreme degree! Which is why you don't get it!
mla

Cortlandt Manor, NY

#3 Nov 1, 2007
You don't really choose where to go when you enlist (unless you have a daddy with a lot of money and strings-then fail to show up for your flight physical.)

He is a veteran that served his country, whether in Vietnam or not. It was not really his choice where he went.
keith

Edison, NJ

#4 Nov 1, 2007
mla wrote:
You don't really choose where to go when you enlist (unless you have a daddy with a lot of money and strings-then fail to show up for your flight physical.)
He is a veteran that served his country, whether in Vietnam or not. It was not really his choice where he went.
If you're so smart, then why aren't you president? STFU!
fwiw

Louisville, KY

#5 Nov 1, 2007
Faust wrote:
English used to be a wonderful and subtle language, capable of conveying a multitude of subtle nuances.

Vietnam-Era Vet does not and never will mean the same thing as a Vietnam Vet. Pretending otherwise is dishonest, not even disengenuous.

It is people who are incapable of appreciating such real differences who are the morons. Sadly, their numbers are huge and rapidly growing.
Farmingville Vet

United States

#6 Nov 1, 2007
Newsday is scraping the bottom of the non-issue barrel on this one -- but they have been doing that regarding Jack Eddington for months solely because he doesn't toe their pro-illegal line. I am grateful and happy to be represented by him.

Jack Eddington VOLUNTEERED to serve his country during wartime. He could have been assigned anywhere. He did his duty and served his country. He has my gratitude and admiration.

He also has my vote and those of my wife, children, and grandchildren.

God bless Jack Eddington.
Joey

Brooklyn, NY

#7 Nov 2, 2007
He is a complete LIAR. All Veterans should Vote him OUT of office.End of story.
Sal

Medford, NY

#8 Nov 2, 2007
Hey at least he didn't go to Canada with the cowards of the county. He served in the Navy...move on to the issues at hand. Start with the "illegal s" problem in Suffolk.

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#9 Nov 2, 2007
test
Vic

Brooklyn, NY

#10 Nov 2, 2007
Mr. Eddington volunteered for service at a time when it was unpopular to do so. He served our country and defended it during a time of war. Newsday should be ashamed of itself for running this garbage. It's a very cheap shot. By the way, does Jack Eddington's opponent have any military service? Nope.
john

United States

#11 Nov 2, 2007
He did not make his own duty assignment , at least he did not hide in arkansas and he could have been assigned to west pac at anytime ,, sounds like just another bunch of pc idiots , and yes i am a viet vet , this is as bad as morons making such a fuss over nooses, not all nooses are created equal , and anyone who forgets its use thruout the west , and by many states as a form of execution and thinks its just about race need to start with the content instead of the band wagon of bull shit , not even knowing one person who was hung should not give cause to act like some grevious wrong is in a holloween decoration, content over emotion, get a life
Misrepresentatio n

Shoreham, NY

#12 Nov 2, 2007
A politician using deceptive language to win votes - how novel! I served in the National Guard during the VietNam era. If I misrepresented that modest service by calling myself a "VietNam Vet," I'd be telling a big lie. When a candidate is found out like this, his political career should end forthwith. Why throw an already known rotten apple into the barrel?
Freddy

South Salem, NY

#13 Nov 2, 2007
Here we go again....another politician streeeeetching and manipulating the facts! Haven't his kind learned by now: you can't get away with lying to the voters in this day and age?

Real war-time veterans who actually did risk their lives fighting in war zones have a right to be upset!
LIer

Bronx, NY

#14 Nov 2, 2007
Farmingville Vet wrote:
Newsday is scraping the bottom of the non-issue barrel on this one -- but they have been doing that regarding Jack Eddington for months solely because he doesn't toe their pro-illegal line. I am grateful and happy to be represented by him.
Jack Eddington VOLUNTEERED to serve his country during wartime. He could have been assigned anywhere. He did his duty and served his country. He has my gratitude and admiration.
He also has my vote and those of my wife, children, and grandchildren.
God bless Jack Eddington.
Just how old are you, anyway?
Snohomish 98

Wilmington, NC

#15 Nov 2, 2007
Who cares as long as he is doing a good job,as long he dosn't flaunt phony ribbons and medals.I am a disabled Navy river rat.I never used my service in Viet Nam to get a job!

Steve Crandall, Wilmington, NC
Voter

Brooklyn, NY

#16 Nov 2, 2007
Seems to me this is not really an issue. No matter who you vote for, it seems like the issues at hand aren't in the past, the real issue is what these candidates can do for us in the future. Even Eddigtons opponent seems to agree that there are more important issues to debate about. So no matter who you vote for, I think you should vote for them based on the issues that will impact your community while they are in office.
MajorKaos1

Falls Church, VA

#17 Nov 2, 2007
Its a sad missrepresentation and he knew what he was doing when he said it. He got caught and although he did serve his country he should have been proud enough of his service to characterize it correctly. IM a Desert Storm veteran who has served in both Iraq and Afghanistan. I am proud of all citizens who have served regardless of where they served, but he should have been more honest in stating his service.
side b

Boston, MA

#18 Nov 2, 2007
vietnam is over people, let it go for gods sake. all those gooks are weird and all look the same, we beat their asses in that war. AND WELL DO IT AGAIN, LET IT GO!
Seamus

Valley Stream, NY

#19 Nov 2, 2007
Eddington should be truthful. He is taking great advantage of semantics to inflate the significance of his service.
Dave

Pensacola, FL

#20 Nov 2, 2007
Was President Clinton or President Bush a Vietnam Vet?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Holtsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Patchogue Fire Dept Thu John 5
News Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) Nov 27 Brian_G 121,899
News Tankleff half sister rips DA, says Marty's guilty (Jan '08) Nov 27 Released 101
News Mixed vibes on body shaker (Jun '06) Nov 27 WalM 505
Review: Peterson & Grace - Sara E Grace DDS (Mar '10) Nov 25 Roc 2
Public Safety SCCC Selden Nov 22 Joseph A Caggiano 4
News North Bellmore Teens Arrested for Burglarizing ... (Sep '10) Nov 15 Urena 22

Holtsville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Holtsville Mortgages