Tony

Massapequa, NY

#106 Oct 5, 2011
Here is the bottom line. Each company will bait you with cheap introduction offers, and when they expire, you will pay about the same regardless of who you are using. I pay $156 per month with Verizon, and that includes any taxes. I have 3 hard wired computers, and a wireless router that is exceptional. 2 TV'S hooked up to HD boxes, and 2 that are standard, and their phone service. THE PRICE ALSO INCLUDES SHOWTIME AND TMC NETWORKS. I left cable many years ago, because when they were the only ticket in town, they charged its customers premium prices $12-15 dollars per month for local sports stations like MSG, sports channel etc to view the Rangers, Knicks, Yankees etc, when every other cable company across the nation had local sports on their basic tier. So in essence, they screwed us. Then along came verizon, and offered those channels on their basic tier. We'll, it did not take cablevision long to correct their misdeed and put it on their basic package. Competition can do that to you! I don't work for verizon, but i will tell you that the TV package is far superior in everyway. Better picture and more channels to choose from. I get the NFL, NHL, and Versus networks and don't pay extra. I get two military channels as opposed to one. I have never had one problem with anything regarding reception since installed several years ago. The phone service has never gone out on me. The internet is in everyway as fast as Optimum. When my cable line on the utility pole came down from a tree limb, they were their that afternoon fixing it. Cable does have it pros however, like better local news, broadcast basic channels that do not require a box[although that is shrinking by the day]. Seeing incoming call on the TV is nice, but overall, I feel Verizon has given me a better product for the buck, and i have no regrets leaving cable behind.
Tony

Massapequa, NY

#107 Oct 5, 2011
lacez wrote:
sounds like this guy works for Verizon. Problem with Verizon is they will screw you if they have a chance. Optimum is the same price for erveryone. You know your price is the price they say it will be.
<quoted text>
Yeah sure! wait till the introduction offer expires and see how much that bill climbs! Cables bills are not the same for everyone! I know, because everyone at work who has cable pays different prices for the same service. No different than Verizon. You can negotiate with each company to a point.
MisterNiceGuy

Morristown, NJ

#108 Oct 7, 2011
I live in Morris Plains, NJ and I'm not sure if location is a factor, but here's my condensed story. I wasa Verizon subscriber for 6 years, was approached by Cablevision and offered a "better deal". To be fair, they did save me about $32.00 per month on the top-tier package I had at Verizon, so after a lenghty process (had to email copy of my Verizon bill, etc.), I switched to Optimum ONLY after agreeing to their 30 day money back guarantee. This lasted three whole days.....
The difference in service (in my area) is shocking. I really wanted to love Optimum, but the quality of the service, the problems with the service and the overall feeling that I had been duped lead me to switch back. The graphic displays on the screen with Cablevsision looked like they were 1980's Atari produced and never upgraded. One DVR box had to be replaced (not Cablevision's fault, but it should have been tested, at the very least), the iPhone apps rarely worked, my home phone was out an entire day and I heard "we're so sorry, this type of thing never happens" about 25 times over three days. LUCKILY, I held onto my Verizon boxes and re-installed on my own. After calling Verizon back to switch, I got a deal that only left the Cablevision/Verizon cost gap about $20.00. The Cablevision installer literaaly left boxes, and the wireless router, hanging off a wall (I laughed when I saw it, I mean the poor thing was suspended by the internet cables!). Switching back was a breeze with Verizon, but the Optimum removal was not quite as easy. Too many high pressure sales pitches from Optimum, I listened to what they had to say and politely reminded them that they said the service was equal, which is clearly is not. I invited the Optimum "sales" reprentative over for dinner and a movie, just so HE could see that the product he was toting is simply inferior to the competition and to please stop claiming the service is equal. As you may imagine, he diconnected the service, at my request, on the spot.

The bottom line: No matter what people tell you, the Verizon service (again, in my particular area of NJ) is FAR superior to the Cablevision service hands-down. If you're a current Cablevision subscriber, ask your neighbors and frineds if they have Verizon and ask to drop by to make a comparison, you will be blown away.
anonymous

Great Neck, NY

#109 Oct 10, 2011
well having had both they're both ok. Verizon has really crappy phone service though, not gonna lie. And being a knicks fan, verizon's MSG quality pisses me off. Overall they're about the same. Verizon does have shitty customer service though, not gonna lie there.
Jane

Lindenhurst, NY

#110 Oct 12, 2011
Wait till you continue to get your Verizon bills and you have been slammed by other companies fraudulently and verizon bills you and you have to continue to call to get the amount removed by calling t he 3rd party. My bill is different every month. The better picture is not worth my time and trouble! Verizon will put a block on your phone which then stops the credit from the 3rd parties.

Just not worth it! Never have the same amount billed each month!
Tony wrote:
Here is the bottom line. Each company will bait you with cheap introduction offers, and when they expire, you will pay about the same regardless of who you are using. I pay $156 per month with Verizon, and that includes any taxes. I have 3 hard wired computers, and a wireless router that is exceptional. 2 TV'S hooked up to HD boxes, and 2 that are standard, and their phone service. THE PRICE ALSO INCLUDES SHOWTIME AND TMC NETWORKS. I left cable many years ago, because when they were the only ticket in town, they charged its customers premium prices $12-15 dollars per month for local sports stations like MSG, sports channel etc to view the Rangers, Knicks, Yankees etc, when every other cable company across the nation had local sports on their basic tier. So in essence, they screwed us. Then along came verizon, and offered those channels on their basic tier. We'll, it did not take cablevision long to correct their misdeed and put it on their basic package. Competition can do that to you! I don't work for verizon, but i will tell you that the TV package is far superior in everyway. Better picture and more channels to choose from. I get the NFL, NHL, and Versus networks and don't pay extra. I get two military channels as opposed to one. I have never had one problem with anything regarding reception since installed several years ago. The phone service has never gone out on me. The internet is in everyway as fast as Optimum. When my cable line on the utility pole came down from a tree limb, they were their that afternoon fixing it. Cable does have it pros however, like better local news, broadcast basic channels that do not require a box[although that is shrinking by the day]. Seeing incoming call on the TV is nice, but overall, I feel Verizon has given me a better product for the buck, and i have no regrets leaving cable behind.
GODEV

Freehold, NJ

#111 Jan 7, 2012
I have been an optimum user for years (internet, phone, TV). I have been happy with the customer service. My bill is close to $200/mo and I priced what I need at FIOS at about $160 however this includes 50mbps speed. The Opt internet service is slow at times and that is my main reason for switching...plus I'm hearing alot of good stuff about HD quality that I never knew about with FIOS although I'm not unhappy with Opt picture quality. I really don't want to change but thinking about saving close to $1,000 over 2 years plus faster internet is something to think about.
Vin

Clinton, MA

#112 Jan 12, 2012
Is optimum good for gaming?
JS Bach

Stamford, CT

#113 Jan 20, 2012
Vin wrote:
Is optimum good for gaming?
I live in Huntington, NY (Long Island) & It's ok. No real lag issues, but their cable is laughable garbage. Frequently, it takes me LITERALLY 15-30 seconds to change the channel & the guide being available is a 50/50 gamble. HD quality is horrific. As a whole, really just awful.
Their explanation= "We apologize."
Their plan of action= "We apologize."
Their idea of the problem being "fixed"= "We apologize."
I have cable & internet pack. No premium channels like HBO, CHILL...etc., no phone.
With "promo"=$80/mo.
After "promo" runs out=$160-175/mo.(They never get the bill right. Charges for PPV that THEY ADMIT I didn't order... things like that.)
Mother-in law has Fios & it's SOOO much better. I'm switching this week. Hope it works out. Just wish there were more than 2 providers. They're all a ripoff, eventually. Just gotta try & get the best quality. If you're gonna get boned, you might as well pick the best bone.
Kevin Gonzalez Age 17

Union City, NJ

#114 Jan 22, 2012
Really guys? Heres the truth. Verizon and optimum are both amazing when it comes to tv and internet. Heres where people make the switch. VERIZON IS TOO EXPENSIVE. This month, we got the verizon bill. Guess what the price is? 1,600. This is because we moved???? REALLY??? My friend, he switched to optimum because his parents are tired of paying 400 a month. Why would you need to pay 400 a month if the plan is 100 a month?? Where is all this extra money comming from??? Everyone is complaining about their services when no one is thinking about the prices!!. TV and INTERNET is the same, Maybe the phone may have their differences but what would you rather get? a bill of 500+ a month or less than 100 a month? you decide. Same services, price difference. Verizon is too expensive even though optimum has the same services but cheaper. We are switching out of verizon asap. Think about this.
Kevin Gonzalez Age 17

Union City, NJ

#115 Jan 22, 2012
Optimum good for gaming? Unlike verizon, you will never have a moderate nat or in game lag. Play gears? Always host. Play Call of duty? After the host leaves, your going to be host guarantee. Montage kid? Uploads and rendering makes verizon look like a ..........
Anonymous

Brentwood, NY

#116 Jan 24, 2012
These comments are always so stupid people always like to brag about the new car they have the new latest and greatest smartphone they have the kind of clothes they wear etc and they don't mind the price tag that goes along with it but when it comes down to something important like tv,phone,and Internet they become penny pinchers sometimes the difference between io and Fios as new customers is probably like 10 bucks and they pick io for THAT!!!! It's crazy there's an old saying you get what you pay for and Fios is hands down the best the tv picture quality is outstanding the Internet is great I check on speedtest.net all the time speeds always consistent and no lag issues online on my ps3 and free on demands for my movie channels and a Dvr that works in any room oh yeah and duh they use Fiber optics!!!!!! Basically simple minded people like simple things I myself am a self thinker so I can research into things to know what's better and what's not optimum is not and if you still continue to defend this once monopoly then you are truly ignorant and deserve to be robbed by them
DNC

Bloomfield, NJ

#117 Sep 10, 2012
supraman23 wrote:
use this link if you want to sign up for fios. i just did and got price lock for 2 years at 64.99. www.verizon.com/amazingspeed
optimum internet is pure garbage! speed drops to 1.5 mbps at night when everyone is home from work. im not a big fan of sharing my bandwidth. verizon fios is wayyyy cheaper for everything i will be getting than anything iO can offer me. every customer service rep i ever talked to with FiOS has been nothing but nice and helpful so i dont know what everyone is saying as far as reps trying to screw you and not helping. good luck to all those who use the link. it will save you a ton. my total bill will be ~80, try finding that from crapovision
I'm curious, isn't Fios Not available in Hopatcong? I called Verizon (I use them now somewhere else) and they do not supply Fios at Lake Hopatcong. I work from home and need serious speed for UPLOADS! I'm considering relocating to Lake Hopatcong but I need to try the Boost Plus from Optimum (only choice) before I do. I'm racking my brain how I can do this. I wish I knew someone in Hopatcong who had Boost Plus, so I could test it out. I can't buy a home and then lose my job because I can't do my job.
Hey now

Bronx, NY

#118 Sep 13, 2012
Why not try the library in Lake Hopatcong, test their speed on your laptop.
Dean

Yonkers, NY

#119 Nov 14, 2012
bob wrote:
verison rules
and
optim SUCKS
Learn how to spell moron
Dean

Yonkers, NY

#120 Nov 14, 2012
Tony wrote:
You get all of the sports channels, NFL, NHL, NBA and MLB all included in optimum middle package with faster Internet and keep $20 per month in your pocket. It all comes down to price, and ask Verizon for access to free Wi-Fi outside of house and listen to them laugh.
the techie

Brentwood, NY

#121 Nov 14, 2012
Dean wrote:
<quoted text>
You get all of the sports channels, NFL, NHL, NBA and MLB all included in optimum middle package with faster Internet and keep $20 per month in your pocket. It all comes down to price, and ask Verizon for access to free Wi-Fi outside of house and listen to them laugh.
Wow people should have their IQ checked before their allowed to post ignorant statements. Anyone who actually defends cable and still thinks there better till this day obviously has the mind of prepubescent child who thinks they know everything. Hmm let me think all those sports channels are on Verizon's extreme HD package gee golly that is Verizon's mid package but you said Verizon doesn't have it weird....... Also Verizon has 75/35 internet speed and it's always consistent because it's not shared with everyone on my block true fiber optics to the home wow what does cable use oh yeah the old copper that was only meant to handle just TV. And I have 5gb of data on my phone which I can tether to any of my wireless device like my iPad so they can keep their Wi-Fi because it's awful if I didn't have a problem connecting it was just unbearably slow. So guy come out of the stone age with your flip phones and cassette players and next time do your homework before you write or speak because we as a people will never progress because of people like you.
Brady

East Moriches, NY

#122 Nov 15, 2012
the techie wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow people should have their IQ checked before their allowed to post ignorant statements. Anyone who actually defends cable and still thinks there better till this day obviously has the mind of prepubescent child who thinks they know everything. Hmm let me think all those sports channels are on Verizon's extreme HD package gee golly that is Verizon's mid package but you said Verizon doesn't have it weird....... Also Verizon has 75/35 internet speed and it's always consistent because it's not shared with everyone on my block true fiber optics to the home wow what does cable use oh yeah the old copper that was only meant to handle just TV. And I have 5gb of data on my phone which I can tether to any of my wireless device like my iPad so they can keep their Wi-Fi because it's awful if I didn't have a problem connecting it was just unbearably slow. So guy come out of the stone age with your flip phones and cassette players and next time do your homework before you write or speak because we as a people will never progress because of people like you.
Does anyone think it's funny this Verizon guy is "schooling" us with the following sentences: "before their (he meant they're) allowed to post ignorant statements. Anyone who actually defends cable and still thinks there (he meant they're) better till this day.."

Truth is FIOS is not available in Brookhaven Town due to two reasons (1) Town and Verizon are disputing franchise fees and (2) Verizon is not interested in extending service eastward because of Cablevision's enormous penetration rate.

Look techie....If we had a choice we would make it. But for now, we don't have the option to switch.
SMB

Summit, NJ

#123 Dec 16, 2012
So we had Optimum I/O and just switched to Verizon. In the end, even with their teaser rates it ends up only being $30 less a month-but we are receiving a $300 Amazon card. The video quality is superior as is the internet speed. I see there is a battery back-up in the ONT, which means when the power goes out for a short period (and it does quite often where we are) our service won't. Our phone has randomly not been accessible during our 7 year run with Optimum and they could never find a reason why. We ordered an HD box for our bedroom and after 4 boxes, we gave up because every one of them had something different wrong with it, they even sent a teach out since they thought we didn't know what we were doing. Optimum's reply? "Oh sorry." They wouldn't give us a refund of the charges for the 2 months we had those boxes. Their hot spots were a joke. When we could connect to them it was so slow it was hardly worth it. Buh-bye Optimum. I know the price is going to go up in 2 years, but we'll deal with it then. Maybe Optimum will have something to match Verizon or we can call and bargain with Verizon, which we have done with Optimum in the past.
Optimum

Yonkers, NY

#124 Jan 8, 2013
Ii would love to see a computer that you own that will handle those speeds. the term bottlenecking comes to mind.
beatles1 wrote:
umm ok... justchuck im srry but i think ur rele so angry that ur just discouraging ppl to not buy fios. now i havent heard anything about this DLP problem but i hav a samsung LCD and it works perfectly w/verizon HD. acctually ive seen optimum's HD and it comes out kinda scratchy but verizons HD comes out crystal clear with the included HD plug and ur also getting fiber-optic cables in ur street telephone lines. verizon will also soon be offering a 3GB/sec internet speed which is fantastic for buisnesses. regular verizon fios internet is also very fast especially for online gaming use. the telephone is probably the best, its got caller ID telling the name of the caller (ex. 555-555-5555_John Smith_NY) if its a landline, and it tells area of caller and cell # if caller is on a cellphone. over-all u get what u pay for but optimum is rele the best if ur looking for a service that rele isnt that bad but id have to say that verizon is better but optimum is second up because it cheaper if ur not gonna but all the movie channels and on demand stuff.
pros of verizon: lots of extra stuff for what ur paying like wigets that let you see the weather forecast, traffic, and tons more, free on demand movies and shows, great HD sound and picture, very fast internet, amazing phone quality
cons of verizon: some glitches with the tv like sometimes it wont rewind for no reason(doesnt happen often just on channel 504)and internet pop-ups that u can just unsubscribe from which is just a simple click and theyre gone.
pros of optimum:cheap if u dont want all the channels, pretty fast internet if u have a high speed router.
cons of optimum: many extra things u need to get fast internet and good tv. not as many tv features as verizon. horrible phone service that u have to look at the tv to see whos calling.
Not a depressed employee

Central Islip, NY

#125 Jun 21, 2013
JoC wrote:
Verizon just knocked on my door in Hauppauge area and i'm thinking about switching. for at least the next 2 years the price will be a couple of bucks cheaper for very similar package even after their taxes. The Multiroom DVR will be a plus and all the channels being avail on 2 other sets with adapters. Somebody sell me on whether I should pull the trigger or not and leave optimum.
Comments
Hey pal, having the same issue. I've been w opt since they started. Bill has now gone up to $252 a month. They did hook me up for a while with extensions on parts of the triple play but now they said it has been too long. Lets be honest, I'm probably gonna switch for 2 years and wait for opt to offer me Triple play pricing again. All thdse guys are, like somebody said, employees of these companies being jerks. So I'm gonna do it this week and m let u know how it works out, good luck!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Holtsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 1 hr Tim Osman 118,680
Loud Farts On Pleasure Ave. (Jan '14) 19 hr Fartin Bill 2
Keahon is showman in the courtroom - (Sep '07) Wed KLOOP 29
Slime Bags (May '12) Wed Busted 12
Gay Friendly Sayville? Tue Gayville 3
Next up for Roy Rogers site: White Castle? (Dec '10) Mon Socwkmom 320
Cops raid W. Islip bar, arrest owners, bartenders (Jan '08) Oct 20 tim21 239

Coastal Flood Statement for Suffolk County was issued at October 23 at 9:59AM EDT

Holtsville News Video

Holtsville Dating
Find my Match

Holtsville Jobs

Holtsville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Holtsville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Holtsville

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]