Holtsville kids shave heads to help c...

Holtsville kids shave heads to help cancer research -- Cancer, ...

There are 14 comments on the Newsday story from Mar 29, 2008, titled Holtsville kids shave heads to help cancer research -- Cancer, .... In it, Newsday reports that:

Some lessons kids don't pick up in the classroom. That's what 25 students at Sequoya Middle School in Holtsville learned on Friday when they had their heads shaved - and raised $14,000 for pediatric cancer ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Mariann

Raleigh, NC

#1 Mar 29, 2008
I think what these students did was a wonderful thing!!!!!!
God bless them....
aww

Tenafly, NJ

#2 Mar 29, 2008
It is wonderful. I hope they went a step further and the ones who cut off really long hair donated their hair to locks of love or another organization that accepts hair to be made into wigs for cancer patients.
Really

Holbrook, NY

#3 Mar 29, 2008
aww wrote:
It is wonderful. I hope they went a step further and the ones who cut off really long hair donated their hair to locks of love or another organization that accepts hair to be made into wigs for cancer patients.
Really? That wasnt enough for you? This kids learned a tremendous lesson and it wasnt enough for you. You are a monster. What does that teach them?
Common Sense

Pearl River, NY

#5 Mar 29, 2008
Great kids doing something we should all be proud of!
michael ramos

New York, NY

#6 Mar 29, 2008
Thank you for your support my little girl alyssa ramos has honor at the event we couldn't make because we were told it was a private event we live in queens village from the bottom os my heart thank you. America should be proud of this kids and maybe our government will get a heart and start giving childhood cancer more money to find a cure. Alyssa has a web site go to www. carepages .com visit alyssa ramos thank kids WE LOVE YOU
confused

Milford, CT

#7 Mar 29, 2008
Really wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? That wasnt enough for you? This kids learned a tremendous lesson and it wasnt enough for you. You are a monster. What does that teach them?
I am sure that the person who wrote that comment did not mean it to be hurtful. As a matter of fact, I would be very surprised if the hair was not donated. It is a simple matter of cutting a ponytail off before the rest of the hair was shaved.

What these kids did was wonderful and selfless. Even if the hair was not donated, it does not diminish the act.

However it does make sense that when cutting off hair to support cancer research, any usable hair would be donated.
michael ramos

New York, NY

#8 Mar 29, 2008
FOR THE PERSON THAT HAS NO HEART I CANNOT BELIEVE YOUR COMMENT YOU SHOULD GET A HEART IM THE FATHER OF A LITTLE GIRL THAT HAS A RARE FORM OF CANCER CALL NEUROBLASTOMA THERE ARE 600 KIDS IN USA TODAT WITH HER CANCER YOU MUST BE ANIMAL GIVE THIS GREAT KIDS CREDIT WENT IS DO. WHAT ARE DOING FOR KIDS CANCER. AS OUR GOVERNMENT IS CUTTING BACK ON CHILDHOOD CANCER AGAIN BECAUSE THEY DON'T CARE MAYBE YOU SHOULD LIVE IN WOODS I CANNOT BELIEVE YOUR COMMENT FATHER OF ALYSSA RAMOS. CAN YOU SEE YOURSELF SEEING YOUR CHILD GO THRU CANCER AND ALL THE PAIN IT'S BRING'S SO PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU WRITE AS MY GIRL HAD 6 MAJOR OPERATION TO BE CANCER FREE IN 2005 YOU CANNOT IMAGING WHAT US PARENTS GO THRU EVERYDAY MAYBE FOLLOW WERE WEB SITE CAREPAGES.COM VISIT ALYSSA RAMOS AND MAYBE YOU CAN GET A HEART HOW DARE YOU ANIMAL MAY YOU GO TO HELL... ALSO YOU ARE JUST LIKE SENATOR MCLAIN THERE A BILL THAT CALL CONQUER CHILDHOOD ACT. TO BRING MORE MONEY FOR CHILDHOOD CANCER AND HE NEVER SIGN THE BILL AND HE RUNNING FOR PRESIDENT WHEN WE DOESN'T CARE ABOUT KIDS WITH CANCER. AND MAYBE I CAN TAKE YOU TO MY WORLD ANIMAL I CANNOT BELIEVE YOU MAYBE YOU ARE GOING TO BE THE NEXT VICE PRESIDENT WITH SENATOR JOHN MCLAIN...
suffolk resident

AOL

#9 Mar 29, 2008
Really wrote:
<quoted text>
why did you say something like that? This person did not mean anything by it only it would be nice to donate the hair, Why are you so ready and willing to jump at someone. You owe that person an apology or you ought to read the comment again and then apologize. You were the only negative mean spirited comment on here in an otherwise heartwarming story and related posts
MEDIC

Levittown, NY

#10 Mar 29, 2008
I THINK THAT THIS WAS GREAT I HOPE THE NEXT EVENT DRAWS MORE KIDS THAN 25 TO SHED THERE HAIR
suffolk resident

AOL

#11 Mar 29, 2008
michael ramos wrote:
FOR THE PERSON THAT HAS NO HEART I CANNOT BELIEVE YOUR COMMENT YOU SHOULD GET A HEART IM THE FATHER OF A LITTLE GIRL THAT HAS A RARE FORM OF CANCER CALL NEUROBLASTOMA THERE ARE 600 KIDS IN USA TODAT WITH HER CANCER YOU MUST BE ANIMAL GIVE THIS GREAT KIDS CREDIT WENT IS DO. WHAT ARE DOING FOR KIDS CANCER. AS OUR GOVERNMENT IS CUTTING BACK ON CHILDHOOD CANCER AGAIN BECAUSE THEY DON'T CARE MAYBE YOU SHOULD LIVE IN WOODS I CANNOT BELIEVE YOUR COMMENT FATHER OF ALYSSA RAMOS. CAN YOU SEE YOURSELF SEEING YOUR CHILD GO THRU CANCER AND ALL THE PAIN IT'S BRING'S SO PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU WRITE AS MY GIRL HAD 6 MAJOR OPERATION TO BE CANCER FREE IN 2005 YOU CANNOT IMAGING WHAT US PARENTS GO THRU EVERYDAY MAYBE FOLLOW WERE WEB SITE CAREPAGES.COM VISIT ALYSSA RAMOS AND MAYBE YOU CAN GET A HEART HOW DARE YOU ANIMAL MAY YOU GO TO HELL... ALSO YOU ARE JUST LIKE SENATOR MCLAIN THERE A BILL THAT CALL CONQUER CHILDHOOD ACT. TO BRING MORE MONEY FOR CHILDHOOD CANCER AND HE NEVER SIGN THE BILL AND HE RUNNING FOR PRESIDENT WHEN WE DOESN'T CARE ABOUT KIDS WITH CANCER. AND MAYBE I CAN TAKE YOU TO MY WORLD ANIMAL I CANNOT BELIEVE YOU MAYBE YOU ARE GOING TO BE THE NEXT VICE PRESIDENT WITH SENATOR JOHN MCLAIN...
Do you understand what you read? I am very sorry about your little girl but you are very angry and maybe I would be in the same situation but you are lashing out angrily and I truly believe you are lucky to be in this country. Am I getting warm as I gather that from your writing. To make a statement about that other poster having to get a heart is ridiculous, nothing offense was said. And to make a statement that Juan McCain doesn't care about kids with cancer, is over the line. Cool off, reread the post and calm down
Pauline - Australia

Australia

#12 Mar 29, 2008
What a touching story of the students & staff of Sequoya Middle School, for the love & support shown to these Cancer Warriors. Gina & Alexa.
Bonnie

Elizabeth, NJ

#13 Mar 29, 2008
Actually, it was an incredible gesture by an INCREDIBLE group of kids! I should know, my daughter was one of them! Gooo Team Gina!

Bonnie Mulieri
www.caringbridge.org/visit/ginamulieri
michael ramos

New York, NY

#14 Mar 29, 2008
about your responded animal first im a america I was born in this country I have alot of family that fought for this country like my great uncle that fought in war 2 to give peole like you a life in this counrt. as my family has done more then your ever will ever do for this country im a puerto rican america animal im also a proud union man of local 638 steamfitter IN nyc. so do i need to go back to my country no because im america ANIMAL. get a heart and maybe you won't Write a cold hearted staments animal. childhood cancer is been cut back because people like you and john mclain is running for president.I wound't vote for no one. BECAUSE WHEN THEY GET IN OFFICE THEY NEVER DELIVER. SENATOR JOHN MCLAIN DOESN'T WANT to sign the conquor childhood act. just like present bush that is cutting back on kids cancer. BECAUSE HE RATHER FIGHT A WAR BUT NOT SAVE A CHILD LIFE WHEN CHILDHOOD CANCER KILLS MORE KIDS A YEAR THE ANY OTHER CHILDHOOD DISEASE. TELL ME WHAT THIS KIDS DID WASN'T GOod ENOUGHT FOR YOU MAYBE YOU SHOULD TAKE ALL THE 25 KIDS THAT SHAVE THERE HAIRS AND WALK IN STREET A RAISE MONEY FOR CHILDHOOD CANCER. I REALYY FEEL SORRY FOR YOUR NEIGHBOR THAT LIVE NEXT TO A ANIMAL LIKE YOU MAYBE YOU SHOULD THINK BEFORE YOU WRITE ANIMAL....
OhDannyBoy

Omaha, NE

#15 Mar 31, 2008
Really wrote:
<quoted text>
aww wrote:

Monster??? Don't you think that's kind of harsh? Maybe you drank a few too many Monsters or Red Bulls or something. Easy on the juice boy!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Holtsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Memories Of Old Ronkonkoma (Jul '09) 10 hr SmokinJoe 111
Murder 1995 - 1996 (Mar '07) Tue Paperboy 26
Northport V.A. Hospital Mon Jayar 1
News Smithtown parishioners planning protest of chur... (Aug '07) May 21 Deserted in the D... 1,817
News $1M Bail for Suspect in Fatal East Islip Home I... (Apr '11) May 20 The executioner 15
News Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) May 20 Voyeur 121,917
dope (Feb '14) May 20 Faultofmine 9
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Holtsville Mortgages