Smithtown parishioners planning prote...

Smithtown parishioners planning protest of church -

There are 1815 comments on the Newsday story from Aug 31, 2007, titled Smithtown parishioners planning protest of church -. In it, Newsday reports that:

Parishioners at the Byzantine Church of the Resurrection in Smithtown plan to hold a "quiet" protest Sunday over their priest's cancellation of its popular four-day bazaar, saying that they fear church ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Since: Apr 07

Waipahu, HI

#21 Sep 3, 2007
Not a surprise. Christian churches are closing all over the world.
The True Church

Jackson Heights, NY

#22 Sep 3, 2007
Having read some of the comments here the anger and frustration of many people is almost mind-numbing. On a note though, it has always been the plan of the Church of Rome (the schismatic church) to integrate under the authority of their Emperor the Pope those who practiced the Byzantine Right or the "Orthodox Christian" right as it should be properly called. These Despots who rule the church of Rome with umimaginable cruelty as they have for Centuries sacking and doing everything in their power to destroy any remnants of the old true way of worshipping have not been succeeding. They send their wolves to tear the Orthodox Church apart only to find it still standing and while they "Rome" loose people the Orthodox Church has been attracting people.
If it is his goal as a jesuit "heretic priest" to tear the church apart then I suggest going to the Greek Orthodox Church in Port Jefferson or anywhere else for that matter.
Chick_N_Katz

United States

#23 Sep 4, 2007
There was indeed a protest on Sunday September 2nd with over 300 parishioners attending. Red Sunday almost to man they were wearing the red Byzantine Bazaar T shirts. the church was almost full with the exception of the pews in the front. There was much hugging and tears as old friends met once more. Resurrection is truly a Parish family we care for one another. Is sad that our family has been torn apart as there is no provision for teaching and nurturing our children; they have just been cast aside by Harry. We used to have an active teen club - no more there are no teens in church they too have been chased away. We have been insulted, demeaned and accused by Harry. Yet Harry has no oversight as to how he spends our money. He fired our long tem bookeeper a parishioner who donated her services. Now out-sourced at substantial cost to the parish. Not only is he cruel to the parishioners but the animals have suffered too. Three kittens were found in a covered garbage can one in some sort of caustic liquid which burned all four feet. After a trip to the animal emergency and several to a vet the kittens will survive.
God is make believe

New York, NY

#24 Sep 4, 2007
Chick_N_Katz wrote:
There was indeed a protest on Sunday September 2nd with over 300 parishioners attending. Red Sunday almost to man they were wearing the red Byzantine Bazaar T shirts. the church was almost full with the exception of the pews in the front. There was much hugging and tears as old friends met once more. Resurrection is truly a Parish family we care for one another. Is sad that our family has been torn apart as there is no provision for teaching and nurturing our children; they have just been cast aside by Harry. We used to have an active teen club - no more there are no teens in church they too have been chased away. We have been insulted, demeaned and accused by Harry. Yet Harry has no oversight as to how he spends our money. He fired our long tem bookeeper a parishioner who donated her services. Now out-sourced at substantial cost to the parish. Not only is he cruel to the parishioners but the animals have suffered too. Three kittens were found in a covered garbage can one in some sort of caustic liquid which burned all four feet. After a trip to the animal emergency and several to a vet the kittens will survive.
NOOOOOOO...NOT THE KITTENS!!!!!!!!!!

So is it a group for active teens or an active group for teens. Stop following the Church, they lie!!!
Ertha Quake

O Fallon, MO

#25 Sep 4, 2007
A person like this leaves a trail, folks... Someone needs to look into the history of this man. You will find everything you need.
Concerned parent

AOL

#26 Sep 4, 2007
Ertha Quake wrote:
A person like this leaves a trail, folks... Someone needs to look into the history of this man. You will find everything you need.
So how does one go about doing this? I'm getting increasingly nervous after reading about that SNAP reference.
Good Question

AOL

#27 Sep 4, 2007
Why CAN'T this Jesuit priest find work in his own ROMAN Catholic Church? Why did he function as a lay Roman Catholic High School teacher in NY for all of these years? Why WAS his first parish assignment in Mont Clare PA just a few years ago right before coming to Smithtown NY? He's an old man and this is his first pastoral assignment? With all of the Roman Catholic parishes out there he goes to a Byzantine Catholic jursidiction right after the scandals broke in the RC Church? Why? What was his history at McQuaid High School in Rochester NY? This was where the allegation was made.
How can a priest who is not even under the thumb of Bishop Pataki meet out the cruelties this one has? Is it for the paycheck? If it isn't for the paycheck then how can he call himself a man of God as he destroys the faith of so many people?
Concerned parent

AOL

#28 Sep 4, 2007
Good Question wrote:
Why CAN'T this Jesuit priest find work in his own ROMAN Catholic Church? Why did he function as a lay Roman Catholic High School teacher in NY for all of these years? Why WAS his first parish assignment in Mont Clare PA just a few years ago right before coming to Smithtown NY? He's an old man and this is his first pastoral assignment? With all of the Roman Catholic parishes out there he goes to a Byzantine Catholic jursidiction right after the scandals broke in the RC Church? Why? What was his history at McQuaid High School in Rochester NY? This was where the allegation was made.
How can a priest who is not even under the thumb of Bishop Pataki meet out the cruelties this one has? Is it for the paycheck? If it isn't for the paycheck then how can he call himself a man of God as he destroys the faith of so many people?
Well, after reading the above, I'm more than nervous. I'm very upset. All I can say is, from what I'm gathering after reading this post, maybe it's a blessing that the nursery school and religion school have been closed.
Marie

Brooklyn, NY

#29 Sep 4, 2007
Who owns the church property? Is it owned by the parish or by the diocesan governing body?

Can parishoners wrest control of the real estate?
catholic

Philadelphia, PA

#30 Sep 5, 2007
the parish property is owned by the eparchy, with the bishop calling the shots. the only involvement the parishioners have regarding the property is to pay/pray/obey/pay some more/fundraise/give time and more money forheating bills, parish projects, flowers for holidays, etc. then of course there is the stewardship drive to give even more money to the eparchy. They continually get asked to give in the name of God, until they get screwed over like this and get told by their bishop to get lost.
God is make believe

New York, NY

#31 Sep 5, 2007
catholic wrote:
the parish property is owned by the eparchy, with the bishop calling the shots. the only involvement the parishioners have regarding the property is to pay/pray/obey/pay some more/fundraise/give time and more money forheating bills, parish projects, flowers for holidays, etc. then of course there is the stewardship drive to give even more money to the eparchy. They continually get asked to give in the name of God, until they get screwed over like this and get told by their bishop to get lost.
AAAHHHH, religion.
Former Parishoner

Whitehall, PA

#32 Sep 5, 2007
I was a former parishoner at Mont Clare. So I was there as one priest was retired and a new one came, and Harry was not a nice guy. He seemed very distant, like this was just a job. Well it's all well and good to blame Harry, but being one of the people born Roman Catholic I have to say you must not overlook the real culprit. Andrew Pataki does not allow people to become part of the faith. Several parishoners would have loved to become Byzantine, but when trying to go about that, the "Bishop" if you can even call him that would not allow it. Maybe they're special buddies, Andrew and Harry:)
Harry

Philadelphia, PA

#33 Sep 5, 2007
So a former "alleged" abuser is still abusing, just using another method. Oh such POWER! Seems to me he fits right in with the leadership of this particular church!
Concerned parent

AOL

#34 Sep 6, 2007
Former Parishoner wrote:
I was a former parishoner at Mont Clare. So I was there as one priest was retired and a new one came, and Harry was not a nice guy. He seemed very distant, like this was just a job. Well it's all well and good to blame Harry, but being one of the people born Roman Catholic I have to say you must not overlook the real culprit. Andrew Pataki does not allow people to become part of the faith. Several parishoners would have loved to become Byzantine, but when trying to go about that, the "Bishop" if you can even call him that would not allow it. Maybe they're special buddies, Andrew and Harry:)
What were your experiences with Harry? He is systematically torturing the parishioners in our church, trying to break our spirit, and he is succeeding. He has withheld heat in the winter, and A. C. in the summer. He threw out all the dishes, trays, etc., that we used for our social hour after Liturgy on Sunday and tried his best to eliminate it. He has cut out all liturgies except one on Sunday. Our church is now mostly unused. The man is sadistic.
No one knew him well

AOL

#35 Sep 7, 2007

He was only in Mont Clare for about a year and a half, following a priest who owned a gay porn website who left to explore other options such as chaplain for a cruise line and Episcopalian lay person.(This eparchy is filled with clerical nuts, and its leader is number one among them...the terroristic dictator who seems to get his kicks by doing exactly what he is doing to you.

Harry was somewhat cold and indifferent in Mont Clare. I wouldn't say he was an overly religious man. He was not invested in the parish. He put his time in and left when he was told to leave. He rented a large dumpster before leaving and piled it high with what he decided to clean out of the rectory, probably knowing full well he would be the last resident priest to minister to St Michaels. It was made a mission after he left. Surprise!
There was a man who he became tight with, Jim, who was the 'sacristan' and adult altar server. He is a tall, husky guy in his 50's, bald, drives a smaller red pickup truck. He disappeared right after Harry was transferred to you. Have you seen him in your neighborhood? Cutting your grass? Acting as your number one altar server?
I'm convinced the whole Ruthenian church is on its way out. Let the bishop sell off the proerties to pay for his wayward and/or aging priests, 90% who will reach retirement age in 10 years.
Because of the lack of vision, lack of an evangelization plan, lack of leadership, the Ruthenian church will be nothing more than a blip on the radar screen of church history- something that should have never been. We need to get off of the fence and either become RC or Orthodox. One thing we need to do now is STOP giving the eparchy our hard earned dollars, our time and our love. We need to get a jump on this bishop and walk out on him, not allowing his slow torture of innocent people to continue any longer.
Concerned parent

AOL

#36 Sep 7, 2007
Well, the parallels here are mind-boggling. Father (and I use the term loosely) Untereiner must own stock in a dumpster company. Since his arrival, a dumpster has been a permanent feature of the landscape outside our church and rectory. Everything being stored for the bazaar has been "dumped," including unused cutlery, dishes, glassware, barbeques, stoves, cooking utensils, cash registers, a computer. I could go on and on. Carrying out this "dumping" is Father Harry's "capo," our newly appointed "sacristan," which word in this instance is a euphemism for stooge. Yes, we do have a sacristan. We must go through him for everything - if we want a Liturgy said, or a vicnaja candle lit, if we need to get into the church for any reason. We have one altar boy left, who is in his 50's and bald. He doesn't show up every Sunday anymore. And yes, Father Harry is very, very chummy with the sacristan.
As for the priest you had with the gay porn website, guess what? He's baaack! Yes, he now has another parish in Pennsylvania, and his picture is continually plastered all over our Eastern Catholic Life newspaper. He seems to be Bishop Pataki's new hero.
I'm afraid you're right. The Ruthenian church seems to be the dumping ground for every misfit and perverted priest the Bishop can scrounge up. No wonder he needs money; he must be up to his ears in lawsuits.
Former Parishoner

Allentown, PA

#39 Sep 8, 2007
What did I do? I left. I’m young and having not one but TWO priests who do NOT practice what they preach is enough to make me go Orthodox. I am doing what “No one knew him well” suggested, I’m checking the Orthodox out because I am tired of Roman, tired of Byzantine, tired of the whole thing.

I can’t tell you what to do, but if you are a concerned parent, get your children out of there! Don’t let them fall prey to the evils of this man. You’re children are already corrupted, they’ve seen what this man is doing, the age of innocence is dead, taking them from church will not do any harm, especially if you find a better church.

My church is long dead, he ruined the sanctity of St. Michael’s, hell Glenn ruined it in the first place, he just failed to do what he was “supposed” to do. So do what you like, or Why not raise the money to buy the property yourselves? What’s the worst that can happen, so you aren’t under the Pope? It will be a church of love.

Why not someone get in contact with the Pope? andrew should have been gone a while ago, but he never submitted his resignation, he is practicing as a “bishop” when he should be retired. The Pope is the one who can get rid of andrew and I’m sure he would do something about it, especially given the sordid details. That would be my advice to you. I however am not going to have my future children raised in a church of lies.
Concerned parent

AOL

#40 Sep 8, 2007
Twisted wrote:
"Jim" showed up from out of nowhere at the end of Glenn's disastrous tour of duty through Mont Clare. He hung around and had his face in everything during Harry's reign. He disappeared a few weeks after Harry left.
TELL ME this middle aged man moved from the Phila area to Long Island to follow this priest?
I'm learning more and more about what the church is really made up of every day. Sick, isn't it?
Well, ours isn't the same "Jim." Ours is in his 20's - and Harry has given him a lot of power, which has gone to his head. He lives in one of our buildings, rent free. I don't know what will happen to him when Harry leaves. All I know is I'd rather be homeless on the street than do what this man has to do to earn his keep. Actually, Harry is really a "user" who will take advantage of a person like this, and when he is done with them, will just throw them away. A real man of God.
Godless Clergy

AOL

#41 Sep 8, 2007
I'm learning very quickly they are ALL users. The more I see the way Bishop P and his henchmen treat people in parishes such as Smithtown, the more I want to renounce my Catholic baptism.
I spent the better part of my life volunteering to keep my church afloat. I took time away from my family that can never be recouped. I donated money I could have given to my children. I spent my free time sweating behind a lawnmower or hot stove to "Further the Kingdom"
WHAT KINGDOM?!?
A kingdom with a cruel self-proclaimed king and his feminine princes who treat God's children like peasants as they lord OUR OWN money over us, making us feel like we need to do more more more to "Get to Heaven" BS! What a mindgame they have created to keep us paying their bills.
I am done with the Byzantine Catholic Church, which isn't a church at all in any Christian sense of the word. I am done with the Roman Catholic Church, whose ignorant treatment of 'other' Catholics speaks for itself.
I have come to the conclusion, as perhaps anyone who really thinks about it has, that religion is man made> Religious leaders use God just as they use Gods people- to further THEMSELVES and perpetuate a SICK institution.
old parisioner

Kerhonkson, NY

#42 Sep 8, 2007
OK, so I have not lived on LI for many years, but this story sure concerns me. Not only do I not know this PERSON who now runs(?) this church, but I do have something to say in regard to the issue.
Hello there, I am a member of one of the first families to attend the Church of the Ressurection. We helped form this Church and everything that made it wonderful. Father Bitsko was a young priest at the time with great ideas and a ton of energy. In those days we all cooked for him, cleaned the church and started the masses (slovak) and enjoyed the whole church experience. Coffee after the mass and dinners together was the norm. It was a community started by a man who believed in what he was doing and the importance of it.
Where and when did this start to go wrong? I will tell you. When Father left for medical reasons things started to fall apart. What a shame. After all the very hard work. Starting this parish from nothing, and I mean nothing,to what I saw only four short years ago, I cannot believe it. Where are the priorities in our lives. I can only hope that the protests that have already happened continue.
I say don't let a few take what all of us have built for over 30yrs. Always remember the small church with no parishioners, the church that worked so hard to grow into a wonderful presence in Smithtown. If this continues, there will be no turning back. I still remember the great day we put the cross up on the steeple. We worked to pay for it and had it installed, it was a great day for all, don't ever forget..........

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Holtsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Seafood, music draws thousands to Blue Claw Cra... 37 min Hahaha 3
As we can C Newark NJ Hells angels just cowar... (Apr '13) Sep 1 The Big Guy 7
News Special services cut at Medford private school - (Nov '07) Aug 28 Josappo4 70
school driver request Sex Aug 26 scam school driver 1
News Airgas workers join Teamsters Aug 26 Ringleader 2
Review: Speedway Performance Aug 25 cuda 1
News New DWI arrest for Mastic woman (Jan '11) Aug 24 dottie 16
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Holtsville Mortgages