Village looks to limit use of leaf blowers

Full story: Newsday 55
The sedate village of Head of the Harbor might get a lot quieter soon. The village plans to hold a public hearing on a new ordinance to limit the use of leaf blowers, both in duration and time of day. Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
digger

East Meadow, NY

#1 Apr 24, 2008
Aren't there silencers for these damned leaf-blowers? If not, why?
Newsday Should Fold

Elizabeth, NJ

#2 Apr 24, 2008
Yes there are silencers.One is called a rake and the other a broom.
Sadly,this ordinance which is a brilliant idea will never be instituted nor enforced anywhere else because people like Jon Cooper will claim it violated the rights of illegal immigrants who operate 95% of these noise machines.
Mark

West Babylon, NY

#3 Apr 24, 2008
As a landscape company owner, I will say...be careful what you wish for, you may just get it. If these people think they are paying a lot for property maintenance now, they don't want to know what it would cost to have my crew hand raking leaves off their property.
Don't forget, it is the OCD, lazy and overworked that created the need for a service like mine.
digger

East Meadow, NY

#4 Apr 24, 2008
Thanks for your answer and not to be facitious but aren't most of the illegal immigrants hired by American landscapers? Shouldn't they be held accountable for the noise pollution?
digger

East Meadow, NY

#5 Apr 24, 2008
Mark wrote:
As a landscape company owner, I will say...be careful what you wish for, you may just get it. If these people think they are paying a lot for property maintenance now, they don't want to know what it would cost to have my crew hand raking leaves off their property.
Don't forget, it is the OCD, lazy and overworked that created the need for a service like mine.
Mark, I wasn't complaining about the work you or your workers do but the damned noise these leaf-blowers produce and if there was anyway to make them quieter.
Badtothebone

Brooklyn, NY

#6 Apr 24, 2008
digger wrote:
<quoted text>
Mark, I wasn't complaining about the work you or your workers do but the damned noise these leaf-blowers produce and if there was anyway to make them quieter.

I would think making the blowers quieter would have to be done by the manufactures rather than some jury rig operation which could be dangerous. Besides, Head of the Harbor is a very exclusive area where I doubt any of the home owners do their own landscaping. As Mark said, if he has to have his crew rake the leaves, he should charge these home owners up the kazoo. Everything comes with a price.
Mark

West Babylon, NY

#7 Apr 24, 2008
They have come a long way from when I started in 1982. Much quieter than they were then. I understand that there are a lot more landscapers out there now, too. I would absolutely buy quiter blowers if they were available!
I can understand limiting their use, but not a total ban.
We have a decent agreement now here in Huntington, 8-7 weekdays, and 9-5 on weekends. I could understand even banning them on weekends to be honest. My family and I were woken up by landsacapers working next door to us at 7:30 on a Sunday morning! That is completely unnecessary.
All I would say would be to use common sense (which I understand is limited in local government) And make sure your constituents know how much their leaf clean-up will cost in advance, because I don't want to hear that it's too expensive.
RWM

Carle Place, NY

#8 Apr 24, 2008
Finally some real legislation coming down. Why waste time with Homeless, poor economy, foreclosures and a whole host of problems that loom upon our children when we can complain about noisy blowers and create those laws!!! And to think I thought Hilary was out of the office for the last 8 months....glad to see her influence is still here.

Marge cannot hear her soap operas while those are on?
TRYTOBEREASONABL E

Hawthorne, NJ

#9 Apr 24, 2008
These gas powered blowers should be banned completely because they are a health issue to those who operate them and they are serious noise and air/ground polluters which harm everyone. It may not be a matter of life and death, even to those who operate them, however it is a quality of life issue for all and when you add together many of the these little issues they become a serious matter. No one needs a lawn so large that an electric blower or even a rake can't handle. Maintaining a large lawn also requires large ammounts of fertilizers and water and that is not good for the environment. Those who can afford such large lawns do not have the right to impose its harmful consequences on the rest of us. Electric blowers work fine on smaller lawns for those who for physical reasons are not able to use a rake. As for the contractors concerns, you are businessmen who must adjust to the changing times, all businesses do this regularly. One last comments, make your lawn smaller and plant more trees, you will help the environment and therefore all of us (even yourself!)
Dave

Port Saint Lucie, FL

#10 Apr 24, 2008
I guess rich assh#### have nothing better to do.
jaz33063

Delray Beach, FL

#11 Apr 24, 2008
Ban them altogether. They're not eco-friendly. Go Green -- use a rake! And the benefit of using a rake? Exercise!
What is that all about

North Brunswick, NJ

#12 Apr 24, 2008
What a great idea! People have become too obsessive of their lawns.What ever happened to the old fashioned way? Get a little exercise and rake them up yourself - get the kids involved, too. There would be a lot less obesity in America!
Fotoguy

Syosset, NY

#13 Apr 24, 2008
Oh please, this shouldn't even merit space in the news. The self indulgent, pampered rich cannot take the noise
What is that all about

North Brunswick, NJ

#14 Apr 24, 2008
Mark wrote:
Sadly, you are 100% right.
RWM

Carle Place, NY

#15 Apr 24, 2008
jaz33063 wrote:
Ban them altogether. They're not eco-friendly. Go Green -- use a rake! And the benefit of using a rake? Exercise!
Easy to say from Florida where there are no deciduous trees, hence no leaves to rake.......

Give me my 200MPH 70 Decibel Husqvarna any day over a rake!!!!!
KirkHere

Matamoras, PA

#16 Apr 24, 2008
8AM? Now which brainiac came up with that idea.

Yes this does discriminate against hispanics with many of them earmning their living in this industry.

Now can we get th same hours for sanitation pickup. The calnging og garbage pails and the roar of the compactors is very anno=ying at 6AM. I know these guys want to be home by 11AM but they should learn to have a little mor consideration for those of us who MUST work 9 to 5 and don't get to go home after working a 1/2 day when the route is done.
over-taxed long islander

Hauppauge, NY

#17 Apr 24, 2008
I just purchased a commercial grade very powerful back-pack blower. It is much quieter than the "old" one that I had since 2000. If they are going to ban the blowers because of noise, then start banning the loud exhausts on cars and motor cycles. Give me a break...I am sure their are better, more important issues that this village can work on.
Willie Pfisterbottom

Chesterfield, MO

#18 Apr 24, 2008
The new ordinance would restrict the hours of operation from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., allowing only two hours of use per property lot on weekdays

Stupid piece of legislation. It will never be enforced.

If I read the article right it's two hours per lot per day?? Which means between 8-5 i could run a leaf blower on a property for 1hr 59 mins. THEN go nextdoor, and run a leaf blower for another 1hr. 59 mins. and not break the law??
Slick

Williston Park, NY

#19 Apr 24, 2008
What is that all about wrote:
What a great idea! People have become too obsessive of their lawns.What ever happened to the old fashioned way? Get a little exercise and rake them up yourself - get the kids involved, too. There would be a lot less obesity in America!
People have became too obsessive and concerned with what others are doing, and passing legislation to cater to these people is ridiculous. Keep the time ordinance for all types of disturbing noise and make these people realize that others have the right to clean or have someone else clean their yards in whatever fashion they want. As long as its not at the crack of dawn. What comes after a gas blower ban? Are they going to want to ban gas lawnmowers? How about those gas powered weed-wackers? Stop the limiting of civil liberties and let them clean leaves however they want.
clothes lined

New York, NY

#20 Apr 24, 2008
hanging clothes on a line is no longer an option.and i,ve pretty much given up on washing the car!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Holtsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Race War 3 hr Brooklynn 10
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) Wed Ratloder 119,687
Slime Bags (May '12) Dec 20 Busted 16
Subway (May '14) Dec 18 Taxes Due 3
10,000 packets of heroin seized in Smithtown dr... (Nov '08) Dec 15 Streetrunner 153
Old-Portion-Road-1891 (Apr '09) Dec 12 John 6
SCCC Destruction of Nature (Dec '12) Dec 10 No public input 8

Holtsville News Video

Holtsville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Holtsville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Holtsville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Holtsville

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]