Keep your hazard lights off while dri...

Keep your hazard lights off while driving

There are 88 comments on the South Florida Sun-Sentinel story from Jul 7, 2007, titled Keep your hazard lights off while driving. In it, South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that:

Q : Is it legal to drive with your hazard lights on in the rain? I was taught it was illegal, but there seems to be an increasing number of drivers who use them while driving in the rain.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
that dude

Pascoag, RI

#87 Mar 20, 2013
some lady was driving with your hazard lights on during a snowstorm mind you visibility was very good I was getting ready to make a left hand at an intersection it appeared that she had her turn signal on so I continued and she caved in my for the front end of my car
carol

Ocoee, FL

#88 Jun 12, 2013
Please note an investigation by the BTSB regarding the use of hazard ligths in low visibility situations.

Bottom line, NTSB thinks hazards are easier to see than just tail lights and that the law should be standardized across all states. Some states require it, some are vague, others it is illegal. In Florida, it is required for commercial vehicles and illegal for passenger vehicles.

http://www.ntsb.gov/doclib/recletters/1995/H9...
Jim

Evansville, IN

#89 Jun 22, 2013
Hazards are no easier to see than your regular lights, they call them hazard lights for a reason, that means YOU are the hazard, you're broken down or blocking a lane, DON'T use your hazards when it rains, it doesn't make you easier to see, it does make you look like an A**hole...for that matter why are so many people turning them on when traffic is backed up, bunch of dumbasses
Jim

Evansville, IN

#90 Jun 22, 2013
This study was done in 1995 Idiot, also a same study recently showed drivers reacting to a car with hazards on as if the car was disabled which could cause adverse/panic reactions from other vehicles, hence they stand by NOT using hazards in adverse weather. Try gettinga study from this decade.....
Keyboard Bully

Kissimmee, FL

#91 Jul 19, 2013

“Live like it's game 7”

Since: Jan 08

Philadelphia,PA

#92 Jul 20, 2013
I think the issue really boils down to using common sense.
Most vehicles these days allow for the flashers to work as well as the brake lights,I do agree that it may be easier to see flashers during bad weather.
The problem occurs when folks do not move over to the right lane. Thus creating an increased adverse safety issue.

I would suggest the following,..if you feel the need to put your flashers on then you probably cant see very well and you should pull off the travel lane and wait for the weather to clear.
If you want to continue to drive through the weather PLEASE do so but in the far right lane, thus allowing for safe passage of others in the left lanes.
A little common sense and common courtesy will get us all alot further.
Leigh pro driver

United States

#93 Sep 10, 2013
First of all, your a dumbass. I'm a truck driver and can out drive u any day I guarantee it. Second of all the law states that if your going to drive under 45 mph to increase visibility then you are to use hazards to show this. It's called being safe. If u don't like it. Get off the fucking road idiot. Oh lemme guess ur a super driver. Please... Spare me.
Edgeman wrote:
Sounds like to me all of you non driving chicken shits think the law doesn't apply to you since you are freaked out by water (H2O) that falls fro the sky. I have an idea. If you get scared to drive in the rain, don't drive. If that means you stay in during the entire summer, stay up north or don't get in your vehicle! The simple fact of the matter is there are more people that can drive in the rain that don't break the law, than people (retards) who feel scared and use there four way blinkers.
JRR

Silver Spring, MD

#95 Jul 3, 2014
You dumb ass people are creating a road hazard by driving with your hazard lights on.
Hazard lights are used to indicate a stopped or disabled vehicle so you don't get hit by a moving vehicle. They are also used to indicate a road hazard (large pot holes, spilled debris on the road, live stock/deer, etc).
So when you drive with your hazards on you are indicating that you are stopped or there is a dangerous condition coming up. This makes people brake for no reason causing a hazard to people behind you and the cars behind you because people are braking for no reason usually in a already reduced visibility condition.
Besides giving the drivers the wrong message that you are stopped or there is a danger on the road, it also makes it hard for people behind you to see. When it's harder for people to see they are more likely to get into an accident (possibly with you).
Stop driving with your F@#$ing hazards on! If you feel it's unsafe to drive due to rain the smart thing to do is stop driving, not break the law. Pull the F#$# over and wait out the storm if you think it's too dangerous to drive.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hollywood Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 22 min Garthok 1,743,726
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 31 min June VanDerMark 336,516
News Missing 5-year-old Florida girl likely was abdu... (Feb '09) 4 hr zazz 98,706
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) Apr 14 FART ABS 64,568
News Rodents pooped all over these restaurants. Five... Apr 14 spechler spirmlipz 3
News Demoted Broward County Court Judge Jay S. Spech... (Sep '08) Apr 14 spechler spirmlipz 29
News Stormy Daniels to appear at South Florida strip... Apr 13 Miami Mike 4

Hollywood Jobs

Personal Finance

Hollywood Mortgages