Plymouth Colony: The Salvation Army o...

Plymouth Colony: The Salvation Army officially opened its 34-ap...

There are 33 comments on the South Florida Sun-Sentinel story from May 15, 2009, titled Plymouth Colony: The Salvation Army officially opened its 34-ap.... In it, South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that:

The Salvation Army officially opened its 34-apartment transitional housing complex today after a year of repairs and renovations that cost about $2 million.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
what

United States

#1 May 15, 2009
Granite? wow what a waste. Nice to see how wisely the money was used for this. I'm all for the new place and hope it helps many families.. but considering home depot makes counter top that looks like granite for much less - seems to me you'd have more money left over to help these folks out.
Ellen-Hollywood

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#2 May 15, 2009
Can't wait to see how long it takes the apartments to have holes in the walls, peeling paint and broken appliances again. Does anyone really expect these apartments to be taken care of by the residents? If they don't feel a sense of ownership, the place will be trashed in no time.
Cristina

Lake Worth, FL

#3 May 15, 2009
Ellen-Hollywood wrote:
Can't wait to see how long it takes the apartments to have holes in the walls, peeling paint and broken appliances again. Does anyone really expect these apartments to be taken care of by the residents? If they don't feel a sense of ownership, the place will be trashed in no time.
Just an FYI it is mandatory that they take care of them. These families have regular inspections on their apartments and are only moved to this facility when they have met certain guidlines. There is a resident care taker that lives on site at the facilities and does the random inspections. These families also pay rent to live there. That is calculated based on there income. These families have been through enough to have to deal with negative remarks from some one like you. I know this information, cause i was in the same position as these families are. I was a single mom and ended up almost on the streets do to loss of income. I turned to them and they helped me with out any question. To them i am grateful. I was not as fortunate enough to enjoy the new facilities, but the old ones were not as bad as they are saying. The place just needed some TLC, due to neglect by the Salvation Army over so many years. Watch one day you may need their services and i pray they don't judge you as quick as you have judged them.
Granite Countertops

Atlanta, GA

#4 May 15, 2009
I have heard it all now, I work 60 hours a week at a well paying job, go to school working on my BA and I don't have granite countertops, I'm glad that there are apartments for people to be in who would otherwise be homeless especially with children, but granite countertops? isnt that a bit over the top? I suppose they have stainless steel appliances, berber carpet and high priced tile floors. Then these people wonder why the rest of us bitch and complain about these programs, where did the 3 million come from is this taxpayer money? am I now paying for other people to have granite countertops. A less expensive choice could have freed up money to help more people, who benefited from this choice? I'd like to know the connections between the salvation army and the contractors and subs. I guess you have to be an unemployed homeless person to get a really nice place to live at no cost to you! only in America
MEEE

Troy, NY

#5 May 15, 2009
what wrote:
Granite? wow what a waste. Nice to see how wisely the money was used for this. I'm all for the new place and hope it helps many families.. but considering home depot makes counter top that looks like granite for much less - seems to me you'd have more money left over to help these folks out.
I AGREE!!!!!
George

Maple Grove, MN

#6 May 15, 2009
I have a good Job. My wife has a good job. I guess we work so hard so that our taxes can go up so that we can take care of those that choose to spend more time at home then working two jobs. I guess if I would just cut back on the two jobs then I to could get a brand new place. Why is it that they had to do everything brand new? Once again if this the Salvation army was in buisness to make money then they would be out of buisness. But they will not be because we all suppoprt this through gevernment help, ie Taxes!

Since: Feb 07

fort lauderdale

#7 May 15, 2009
Hey, guys, don't focus quite so much on the granite counter tops. I am not familiar with this particular facility but I am quite familiar with others like it. Quite often churches and charitable groups like the Salvation Army are able to bring large projects to completion with the aid of many volunteer individuals and companies.

Quite often, when these facilities contain items that might be termed as "luxurious" they were donated by a company that had them on hand and was willing to donate and install them at little or no charge.

I'm guessing that this apartment complex, as large as it is, was completed in much the same manner. I really do applaud the Salvation Arm for all its efforts on behalf of so many people.
The End Is Near

Pompano Beach, FL

#8 May 15, 2009
Regarding the granite counter tops- they should also be considered a long-term investment. These transitional apartments will be a revolving door for a wide variety of people. Some responsible...some, not so much. Granite is a wise investment (if it weren't donated) when you cannot insure proper care by the occupants.

That said, the Salvation Army is a great organization. I would love to see more of THESE organizations popping up helping and LESS government intervention. Government makes people like this lady DEPENDENT. The Salvation Army works to make them INDEPENDENT.
Yeah I said it

Pompano Beach, FL

#9 May 15, 2009
You guys are selfish..complaining about the stovetops..when we have so many homeless families who are literally living on the streets with children..babies..how can you be so insensitive?
County

Miami, FL

#10 May 15, 2009
There are people who get into bad situations but then many choose that life. They get pregnant as a teenager and have more than one before they are 20. As for a job most didn't bother finishing school or even get a GED so they can't get a decent job. Teenage pregnancy can be prevented but many don't because some think it's just so cool to have a baby and then go on to raise it or them at the taxpayers expense.
IMTHINKING

Miami, FL

#11 May 16, 2009
I would hope the Sun Sentinel can re-visit this story in a year and see how the building and the people are doing. It sounds like a good program to help people. What bothers me is the units had holes in the walls before and I am hoping in a year they won't have holes in the walls again.
I am also wondering how many of this residents will visit the fine shops in Downtown Hollywood?
unreal

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#13 May 16, 2009
How the hell can I get in on that?? I would LOVE to live rent free for up to two years!! Granite counter tops??? Stainless steel appliances???? Hmmmmmm........

“People First”

Since: Mar 09

Hollywood

#14 May 16, 2009
Why does it have to be in Hollywood, don'twe have enough already with 'Coninie's Flop House' on US1, The jubilee Soup Kitchen, and DOC probation office all within a one mile radius?
This just keeps on getting worse, making Hollywood a destination for every down on their luck, third-world refugee, or lowlife is not what Joseph Young had in mind when founding it.
Try locating in Boca, Ft. Lauderdale, or maybe in Aventura. R-I-I-T-G-H-T, I can really see that happening. NOT.
Ignorance Central

Boca Raton, FL

#15 May 16, 2009
Cristina wrote:
<quoted text>
Just an FYI it is mandatory that they take care of them. These families have regular inspections on their apartments and are only moved to this facility when they have met certain guidlines. There is a resident care taker that lives on site at the facilities and does the random inspections. These families also pay rent to live there. That is calculated based on there income. These families have been through enough to have to deal with negative remarks from some one like you. I know this information, cause i was in the same position as these families are. I was a single mom and ended up almost on the streets do to loss of income. I turned to them and they helped me with out any question. To them i am grateful. I was not as fortunate enough to enjoy the new facilities, but the old ones were not as bad as they are saying. The place just needed some TLC, due to neglect by the Salvation Army over so many years. Watch one day you may need their services and i pray they don't judge you as quick as you have judged them.
It's mandatory that Section 8 recipients take care of their homes too but they sure as hell don't.

The next time I see a Salvation Army santa asking for my hard earned money this Christmas I will be sure to laugh in his face and ask him if the money he has collected will buy granite counter tops.
Cristina

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#16 May 16, 2009
Ignorance Central wrote:
<quoted text>
It's mandatory that Section 8 recipients take care of their homes too but they sure as hell don't.
The next time I see a Salvation Army santa asking for my hard earned money this Christmas I will be sure to laugh in his face and ask him if the money he has collected will buy granite counter tops.
First off the tax payers do not pay for any of this. The Salvation Army runs off of donations and majority from the United way. Second this shelter s not like the soup kitchen or conine's on federal. These are single mom's with children or whole families. They go through a screening process. This location has been around for at least 20 years and you never see a problem or hear about them. So the families here are not the bums on the street begging for money. They have gone from level one housing at the Salvation center on Broward blvd to this level 2 housing. They pay rent based on their income and are required to put a certain amount of money into a savings account. This account is monitored by the staff that assists these families on a weekly basis. As for the section 8 comment there is a huge difference. A big percentage of Section 8 recipients have been on section 8 for years and have no goals or plans to get off. Some just use it temporarily for what it is truly meant for. Section 8 is not required to keep their homes clean like the residents at the salvation Army in Hollywood. The other difference is this is a temporary situation for the Hollywood residents.They are not allowed to stay more than a year or two. Section 8 is never ending. Finally the Salvation Santas collect money to help provide toys and food for the needy during the Christmas season. Laughing at them and talking smack to them would only make you look like a fool. Know your facts before you speak.
Kathy

New Orleans, LA

#17 May 16, 2009
I was there for the opening. The counters are not granite. They have the look of granite. The reporter made a mistake.
Jonathan Swift

San Diego, CA

#18 May 16, 2009
George wrote:
I have a good Job. My wife has a good job. I guess we work so hard so that our taxes can go up so that we can take care of those that choose to spend more time at home then working two jobs. I guess if I would just cut back on the two jobs then I to could get a brand new place. Why is it that they had to do everything brand new? Once again if this the Salvation army was in buisness to make money then they would be out of buisness. But they will not be because we all suppoprt this through gevernment help, ie Taxes!
IT IS a melancholy object to those who walk through this great town or travel in the country, when they see the streets, the roads, and cabin doors, crowded with beggars of the female sex, followed by three, four, or six children, all in rags and importuning every passenger for an alms. These mothers, instead of being able to work for their honest livelihood, are forced to employ all their time in strolling to beg sustenance for their helpless infants: who as they grow up either turn thieves for want of work, or leave their dear native country to fight for the Pretender in Spain, or sell themselves to the Barbadoes.

I think it is agreed by all parties that this prodigious number of children in the arms, or on the backs, or at the heels of their mothers, and frequently of their fathers, is in the present deplorable state of the kingdom a very great additional grievance; and, therefore, whoever could find out a fair, cheap, and easy method of making these children sound, useful members of the commonwealth, would deserve so well of the public as to have his statue set up for a preserver of the nation.

I have been assured by a very knowing American of my acquaintance in London, that a young healthy child well nursed is at a year old a most delicious, nourishing, and wholesome food, whether stewed, roasted, baked, or boiled; and I make no doubt that it will equally serve in a fricassee or a ragout.

I do therefore humbly offer it to public consideration that of the hundred and twenty thousand children already computed, twenty thousand may be reserved for breed, whereof only one-fourth part to be males; which is more than we allow to sheep, black cattle or swine; and my reason is, that these children are seldom the fruits of marriage, a circumstance not much regarded by our savages, therefore one male will be sufficient to serve four females. That the remaining hundred thousand may, at a year old, be offered in the sale to the persons of quality and fortune through the kingdom; always advising the mother to let them suck plentifully in the last month, so as to render them plump and fat for a good table. A child will make two dishes at an entertainment for friends; and when the family dines alone, the fore or hind quarter will make a reasonable dish, and seasoned with a little pepper or salt will be very good boiled on the fourth day, especially in winter.
County

Miami, FL

#19 May 17, 2009
Jonathan Swift wrote:
<quoted text>
IT IS a melancholy object to those who walk through this great town or travel in the country, when they see the streets, the roads, and cabin doors, crowded with beggars of the female sex, followed by three, four, or six children, all in rags and importuning every passenger for an alms. These mothers, instead of being able to work for their honest livelihood, are forced to employ all their time in strolling to beg sustenance for their helpless infants: who as they grow up either turn thieves for want of work, or leave their dear native country to fight for the Pretender in Spain, or sell themselves to the Barbadoes.
I think it is agreed by all parties that this prodigious number of children in the arms, or on the backs, or at the heels of their mothers, and frequently of their fathers, is in the present deplorable state of the kingdom a very great additional grievance; and, therefore, whoever could find out a fair, cheap, and easy method of making these children sound, useful members of the commonwealth, would deserve so well of the public as to have his statue set up for a preserver of the nation.
I have been assured by a very knowing American of my acquaintance in London, that a young healthy child well nursed is at a year old a most delicious, nourishing, and wholesome food, whether stewed, roasted, baked, or boiled; and I make no doubt that it will equally serve in a fricassee or a ragout.
I do therefore humbly offer it to public consideration that of the hundred and twenty thousand children already computed, twenty thousand may be reserved for breed, whereof only one-fourth part to be males; which is more than we allow to sheep, black cattle or swine; and my reason is, that these children are seldom the fruits of marriage, a circumstance not much regarded by our savages, therefore one male will be sufficient to serve four females. That the remaining hundred thousand may, at a year old, be offered in the sale to the persons of quality and fortune through the kingdom; always advising the mother to let them suck plentifully in the last month, so as to render them plump and fat for a good table. A child will make two dishes at an entertainment for friends; and when the family dines alone, the fore or hind quarter will make a reasonable dish, and seasoned with a little pepper or salt will be very good boiled on the fourth day, especially in winter.
In short if you can't afford to have kids then DON'T have them. It is not the bible days where you were told to go forth and multiply and manna fell from the sky.

crime

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#20 May 17, 2009
where is this place in hollyhood?
Kathy

New Orleans, LA

#21 May 17, 2009
I stand corrected. I checked with The Salvation Army, and the countertops ARE made of granite. They were donated. My apologies to the reporter.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hollywood Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Missing 5-year-old Florida girl likely was abdu... (Feb '09) 1 min zazz 98,389
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min Cheech the Conser... 1,524,235
Manuel 3 hr Curious 2
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 3 hr silly rabbit 314,024
Annika Dean Mormon Crisis Actress 16 hr Malachi Calvin 6
Local Politics Do you approve of Michael L Thomas as Mayor? 23 hr robert ferguson 1
Heroin in Opa Locka (Oct '12) Sat TheBigDog33 90

Hollywood Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hollywood Mortgages