Doctors creating clashes in condos by...

Doctors creating clashes in condos by 'prescribing' pets for ai...

There are 34 comments on the South Florida Sun-Sentinel story from Feb 7, 2007, titled Doctors creating clashes in condos by 'prescribing' pets for ai.... In it, South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that:

They call it a miracle drug, but if you live in a condo or homeowner association community, it may not be the cure for you.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
eve

AOL

#1 Feb 7, 2007
In my WPB condo complex, after we decided we did have to accept pets, one woman complained that she was allergic, so she SOLD her unit. Guess where she then bought? in the same building!....so was she lying to cause conflict, or did she find she could live with it even tho she now had a choice. Important to remember.... Attorneys work for THEIR firm, they like to keep stirring the pot, keep the billing hours up.
Eyes Wide Shut

United States

#2 Feb 7, 2007
No one on my condo board seems to object to my dog. But for some reason they do not let me walk Oswaldo, my four and a half foot Nile Monitor in the common areas any more. He only meant to kiss the neighbors Poodle but the incident was blown way out of proportion.
shack

AOL

#3 Feb 7, 2007
your luckey in our condo they change thr rules everyday to fit the boards and their friends needs "" Hollywood Nursing Home By The Beach''
duh

Hollywood, FL

#5 Feb 7, 2007
What part of No Pets Allowed don't you understand?!
TV Miami

Bryant, AL

#6 Feb 7, 2007
Eyes Wide Shut wrote:
No one on my condo board seems to object to my dog. But for some reason they do not let me walk Oswaldo, my four and a half foot Nile Monitor in the common areas any more. He only meant to kiss the neighbors Poodle but the incident was blown way out of proportion.
I wouldn't want to meet your Nile Monitor in any of the common areas where I live either. Good for them.
Maida W Genser

Miami, FL

#7 Feb 7, 2007
What is missing from this article:
1) It is NOT just two people who are trying get laws changed. Try over ten thousand! That is how many signatures we have so far, both online linked from www.petsincondos.org and on paper.
2) The training that David Shapiro's dog went through was only to help David's case with his condo board. His new dog Lexie II was just as capable of providing emotional solace and assisting David before his training as after it. Both animal and mental health experts agree that no special training is needed for a companion animal to provide emotional support for its guardian/owner. Training IS needed when animals are taken to unfamiliar settings to work with strangers - eg. certification for therapy dogs.
3) It was documented in a recent magazine article that Gary Poliakoff himself has a dog, three cats, and some turtles. Why? Does he get any solace from having his animals? Is there some new law in this country that says rich people get to have animals and the rest of us don't?

“"Man Bites Dog"”

Since: Dec 06

The Moon & Other Planets

#8 Feb 7, 2007
TV Miami wrote:
<quoted text>
I wouldn't want to meet your Nile Monitor in any of the common areas where I live either. Good for them.
But the Poodle started it!
Melina210

Boca Raton, FL

#9 Feb 7, 2007
Notice to builders. Stop building these hoa's and condo ass'ns...they disgracefully allow dictator mentalities to tell us how to live...

Down with hos's and condos...they should be outlawed..
sister mary margaret

Durham, NC

#10 Feb 7, 2007
There is no easy solution to existing condo owners, however with all the new building going up, they should just designate one building for pets and the next "no pets". This would be a cure all for everyone.
David Shapiro

AOL

#11 Feb 7, 2007
For too long a time, condominium associations have been permitted to run roughshod over unit owners through their "rules and regulations," many of which are antiquated, illogical, and downright discriminatory in nature! A perfect example is the "No Pets" rule which prevails in condos throughout South Florida. Rather than imposing such a total ban, condo associations should have the option of implementing strict guidelines which govern the conduct of pets and the responsibility of their owners. When 65% of the American population own one or more pets, it is inconceivable that condominiums are still permitted to ban people from having a cat or a dog on property WHICH THEY OWN! We are talking about an issue which afftects thousands of people, and one which needs to be taken seriously. Comments such as those received from the individual with the Nile Monitor or the moron who asks "What part of 'No Pets' don't you understand?" contribute nothing toward resolving a problem that must be addressed!
The Shadow

Covington, VA

#12 Feb 7, 2007
NYC teacher Shapiro is solid evidence a Jewish name need not denote intelligence. He says those who oppose pets because they are allergic don't have a case. "A lot of people are allergic to trees and grass, too. Does that mean we have to [get rid of] all trees and grass?" he asked.
Fther Christian

Covington, VA

#13 Feb 7, 2007
Maida W Genser wrote:
Is there some new law in this country that says rich people get to have animals and the rest of us don't?
What is there about might makes right you don't understand?

“"Man Bites Dog"”

Since: Dec 06

The Moon & Other Planets

#14 Feb 7, 2007
David Shapiro wrote:
For too long a time, condominium associations have been permitted to run roughshod over unit owners through their "rules and regulations," many of which are antiquated, illogical, and downright discriminatory in nature! A perfect example is the "No Pets" rule which prevails in condos throughout South Florida. Rather than imposing such a total ban, condo associations should have the option of implementing strict guidelines which govern the conduct of pets and the responsibility of their owners. When 65% of the American population own one or more pets, it is inconceivable that condominiums are still permitted to ban people from having a cat or a dog on property WHICH THEY OWN! We are talking about an issue which afftects thousands of people, and one which needs to be taken seriously. Comments such as those received from the individual with the Nile Monitor or the moron who asks "What part of 'No Pets' don't you understand?" contribute nothing toward resolving a problem that must be addressed!
Sorry Dude but you obviously do not understand what a condo is. No matter what you paid for it you don't have any rights as the majority of the building is common area. You my friend have two choices. Do something by running for condo board. You will lose anyway due to your charming personality but at least you will be trying to do something rather than just complaining. Oh and your second choice, why shutting up! Oh, and as for Oswaldo? Don't make him mad. You would not like him when he is mad! LOL!
paula

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#15 Feb 7, 2007
in my condo, we can't even have a infdoor cat. quite frankly smoking or cooking in your unit is more dangerous abd can kill people. i mean a cat?
Geena

Miami, FL

#16 Feb 7, 2007
All Condo rules need to be reviewed and ultimately changed as they are totally outdated and unconstitutional.
They are written by a bunch of nasty old goats!
claudia krysiak

United States

#17 Feb 7, 2007
Do cats have to have "special training", too? Good luck with that! I wonder if Mr Poliakoff's cats have been specially trained.
claudia krysiak

United States

#18 Feb 7, 2007
Condominium boards are usually made up of old men who have never had any authority or power in their past jobs or careers - and are now carried away with their title. Mindless, ignorant rules not based on logic or need should be broken.
gee

Hollywood, FL

#19 Feb 7, 2007
Do what they do in my condo 1. Be a senior citizen who is on the board 2. Be on lots of medication 3. Be very arrogant and stupid 4. Hire the law offices of Beck and Poliakoff 5. Do not follow the bylaws of the condo which strictly prohibit pets 6. Make up an unwritten rule, for your own personal benefit that you may have a pet. 7. Know that the state of Florida condo bureau will do nothing to the board because of reasons 1,2,3 and 4 above. 8. Know that a part of the yearly retainer fee and hourly legal fee charged by Becker and Poliakoff helps go toward "enlightening" our spineless legislature enacting laws that allow these "law breaking senior citizens" get away without penalty the many infractions of HOA bylaws, documents, statutes and FL administrative codes.

Keep in mind, the legislature has held many public hearings with the public pleading for relief from these condo board members - but to no avail.
A resident

AOL

#20 Feb 7, 2007
sister mary margaret wrote:
There is no easy solution to existing condo owners, however with all the new building going up, they should just designate one building for pets and the next "no pets". This would be a cure all for everyone.
I like this idea.....and I think it is an OUTRAGE that you buy a home in the USA and then a bunch of petty, self-appointed dictators start telling us what we can and cannot do, within the confines of our own home........I would NEVER buy a condo, due to this type of situation, especially in Florida! And somehow, it seems unconstitutional that when a person owns a property, even an apartment, someone else can dictate whether they can have a pet....we have made great strides in the "pet-friendly hurricane shelter" arena, so I hope that now we can make the same strides in getting pet-friendly apartments, and also ones that don't dictate that the dog can only be 15 lbs....we should be able to have a 75 lb lab as well, if he is well-behaved.
Fido

AOL

#21 Feb 7, 2007
My friend and I, Spike lived in a real cool place. My master was so nice. An old fella, but with a cane in one hand and our chains in the other, he'd walk us every morning and every evening. Then he got sick... something about his 'association' harrassing him. All I know... one day, I'm taken to the pound! I miss the old fella. I miss my friend Spike. This article fails to mention how inhumane and totally horrible people in these so-called 'associations' can be to Spike and me.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hollywood Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 14 min weapon X 326,628
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 25 min Julia 1,684,608
Review: ECO General Contractors Hollywood (Aug '16) 3 hr madonna h 11
Opa Locka Music Selection (Jul '12) Jan 19 Musikologist 17
News Missing 5-year-old Florida girl likely was abdu... (Feb '09) Jan 16 Never a tourest 98,659
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) Jan 16 Into The Night 64,397
Jan 15 Sheridan Bridge Jan 15 Yep 1

Hollywood Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hollywood Mortgages