Taneycomo bridge reopens in Branson

Taneycomo bridge reopens in Branson

There are 6 comments on the Springfield News Leader story from Nov 16, 2011, titled Taneycomo bridge reopens in Branson. In it, Springfield News Leader reports that:

A Taneycomo bridge that connects Branson and Hollister reopened today after a year-long rehabilitation project.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Springfield News Leader.

Happy Hollister Driver

Pompano Beach, FL

#1 Nov 18, 2011
With the opening of the original spandrel bridge, many people have made comments about how they believe that there will be an abundance of wrecks on the roundabout (or oval-about.) It seems to me that local residents and anyone using either bridges have forgotten the long line that would form just a few years ago, while waiting on the bridge (that now feels VERY solid when drove on) at the signal light that is now gone due to the roundabout itself. The traffic now flows steadily with out any delays just as MOdot officials said that it would. Two bridges are MUCH better than one! All any driver will have to remember and probably will in time to avoid accidents is to remember that you must yeild to the ones already circling on the roundabout ( they the ones with the-right-of-way) Don't speed thru it and keep moving when you can will keep traffic and yourself flowing - simple. Hopefully, in time it'll only be the tourists causing delays - which can be expected...no excuse for the rest of us!
Bag of Bones

Ozark, MO

#2 Nov 19, 2011
While the new bridge is a needed addition to better traffic flow - it SHOULD have been built on the north end of the Branson Landing.

If they would have made the same round-about at the base of seven falls hill and built the bridge to tie in north of Belk, traffic going east toward Forsyth would have separated from traffic going to Hollister or south.

It was plain stupidity to place BOTH trafic flows into the same round-about. So they placed the ugly NEW bridge one hundred feet from the old classic one and all they managed to do was eliminate a traffic light.

Your DOT tax dollars at work. Amusing - and pathetic.
Landon

United States

#3 Dec 16, 2011
I can only imagine the added cost of purchasing the extra right of way to build the bridge in a separate location. Also, if the bridge would have been built North of the Landing, it would have tied in on Lakeshore drive, a fairly quiet residential drive. Most drivers would have used it if they were going to Forsyth. Don't forget that blind corner all the eastbound travelers would have to make when they got back to East 76.

Maybe a bridge could have gone in right over the top of Bass Pro Shops? I'm sure that would have been appealing. It would have had to tie in right in front of Bass Pro, which would be very convenient for shoppers.

My point is, it went in where it did for multiple reasons: to conserve money, improve safety, and reduce disruption to its surroundings.

Just out of curiosity, how long have you waited to get across either bridge now that they are both open with the roundabout? And how long did you wait before the new bridge and roundabout? If it works so much better now, what is yor complaint?
It is working great

Ozark, MO

#4 Dec 16, 2011
Right on Landon. Great job on the bridge. Jobsite was kept tidy and safe in all my observations. You will always get negative comments from the general public. It is all working amazingly well. I was on the Value Engineering team that thought this thing through along with Rick Z. from Hollister. Many others were involved and basically sequestered ourselves in a room until the ultimate design a solutions were found. They are was LUCKY to get you and your company to work here.

Former Road and Bridge Administrator
Frank M. Preston
Bag of Bones

Cross Timbers, MO

#5 Dec 17, 2011
QUOTE: "It is all working amazingly well."

Yes, since 90 percent of the tourists have left for the winter.

That roundabout is going to look like a bumper car ride next summer, as ALL the traffic from all FOUR directions attempt to converge.

You may have saved some money - but that placement and design is something a grade school kid would come up with. But Congratulations! lmao
Bag of Bones

Cross Timbers, MO

#6 Dec 17, 2011
Quote: "basically sequestered ourselves in a room until the ultimate design a solutions were found"

It's unfortunate that they didn't lock the door - and then consult a competent traffic engineer.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hollister Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Forum that provides objective information witho... (Nov '09) 31 min nomenotyou 20
BRANSON is the WORST town in the USA!!! OUR VISIT (Jun '13) Nov 19 disgruntledresident 83
Billings..... moving from Wyoming Nov 19 disgruntledresident 12
christmas in Branson? Nov 16 Hmmm 2
There's more than one road in Branson.... Really. Nov 8 disgruntledresident 1
Branson Has Bed Bugs All Over Town All Motels (Sep '10) Nov 7 Really-- 36
Christian books on the landing (Jun '12) Nov 7 disgruntledresident 10

Hollister Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hollister Mortgages