Proposed truck emission rules could c...

Proposed truck emission rules could cost farmers

There are 14 comments on the Santa Cruz Sentinel story from Sep 16, 2008, titled Proposed truck emission rules could cost farmers. In it, Santa Cruz Sentinel reports that:

New state air quality regulations could force diesel-powered truck operators to spend thousands of dollars to retrofit or replace their vehicles in coming years.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Santa Cruz Sentinel.

life long county resident

AOL

#1 Sep 16, 2008
premature panic? what,we all need to do our part,no reason anyone should get special favors
Dave

Milpitas, CA

#2 Sep 16, 2008
Just what we need in a recession. I think that the "Clean everything" crowd will only be happy when there is no businesses left in California to pollute the air or to foul the water. It will be great. No one will work and there will be plenty of money for everyone. Oh wait, where is this money going to come from. I got it. Tax the rich. New definition of rich. Anyone who has a job. That's it !!

Keep going with these ultra clean everything laws and not the guy down the road will be looking for work. So will you !!!!!
jimmylee

Dublin, CA

#3 Sep 16, 2008
Anyone who ownes or operates a commercial diesel vehicle should be up in arms about the proposed regulations. Most current engines cannot be modified to meet the new standards so most trucks now on the road would have to have new engines. 20k is a good ballpark figure to re-power a big rig. I know many folks on the "green" side of things may think that those big trucking operations can easilly afford to spend that kind of money, and maybe they can....but the real loosers in the rush too extreme regulation will be (again) the little guy. Your neighbor who owns his own truck and just gets buy in this very competetive buisiness cannot afford to re-power his rig. The family farmer down the street will be faced with the decision to go deep in debt to keep the machinery moving....or to just quit. The story is similar for your other neighbor who drives for a company that will radically downsize it's fleet in the face of huge re-power expenses. He will be unemployed. Other folks, however, will benefit. Trucks owned and registered outside of California will not be faced with the same expensive regulations. Ditto for Mexican national trucks. These trucks will still travel California roads to deliver virtually ALL the goods we consume. The net result of these regulations (as currently written) will be to drive another industry out of California and not provide any significant improvement in air quality.
life long county resident

AOL

#4 Sep 16, 2008
you guys have a good point,i stand corrected
Woof

United States

#5 Sep 16, 2008
jimmylee wrote:
Anyone who ownes or operates a commercial diesel vehicle should be up in arms about the proposed regulations. Most current engines cannot be modified to meet the new standards so most trucks now on the road would have to have new engines. 20k is a good ballpark figure to re-power a big rig. I know many folks on the "green" side of things may think that those big trucking operations can easilly afford to spend that kind of money, and maybe they can....but the real loosers in the rush too extreme regulation will be (again) the little guy. Your neighbor who owns his own truck and just gets buy in this very competetive buisiness cannot afford to re-power his rig. The family farmer down the street will be faced with the decision to go deep in debt to keep the machinery moving....or to just quit. The story is similar for your other neighbor who drives for a company that will radically downsize it's fleet in the face of huge re-power expenses. He will be unemployed. Other folks, however, will benefit. Trucks owned and registered outside of California will not be faced with the same expensive regulations. Ditto for Mexican national trucks. These trucks will still travel California roads to deliver virtually ALL the goods we consume. The net result of these regulations (as currently written) will be to drive another industry out of California and not provide any significant improvement in air quality.
Of course the smart guys will just sell their non-compliant trucks out of state and buy new compliant trucks.
Pajaroite

Palo Alto, CA

#6 Sep 16, 2008
Farmers would complain if they were lashed with a new whip !
sonshine

Santa Cruz, CA

#10 Sep 16, 2008
Right on Jimmylee. Cities are having to convert there equipment already. Also having to purchase new equipment that is not even full proof.(because there is a new law )I agree everyone needs to do their share,but the law is ahead of the tech-knowledgy. We (our taxes)are paying for new equipment that there own techs dont know how to fix. Where is our money going? Chasing the know it all jack+++++ while our infrastructure falls apart. Daaaaaaaa Look at the bigger picture
Dave

Santa Cruz, CA

#11 Oct 5, 2008
Dear woof,

You said "Of course the smart guys will just sell their non-compliant trucks out of state and buy new compliant trucks."

This sounds so simple and yet so naive. Can you imagine how many non compliant trucks would be hitting the market all at one time. These are not $ 15,000 cars that we are talking about. Then put yourself in the position of a buyer. Would you buy one of two trucks that were non compliant when California just passed this new law and maybe the state that you were in might pass a similar law as well. Then finally, do you have any idea of how many truckers are now in existence and how low their wages have fallen ? Go to the yellow pages and see how many trucking schools are around. These schools cater to the newest person(group) in this country. Wages are being driven down every day. When you combine these facts with the fact that both in Canada and Mexico more trucks are being sent into America. These are driven by foreigners of all types. In Canada most of the long haul drivers are either Muslim, Hindu, or Sikhs. Most of the drivers of Mexican trucks are Mexicans. No slam on any of these guys, more and more supply and the demand is going down only means one thing. Lower wages and higher costs. How can anyone start replacing vehicles in that environment ? It would be better to file BK and draw unemployment. More and more restrictive anything is just like a tax increase. Just look at what the legislators have done to our gasoline in California compared to the rest of the country. We use the most gasoline in the country and you would think that because of that, we would be getting volume discounting. Just the opposite. We have a boutique gasoline market because of all of the restrictions that our legislature has put on gasoline. First MTBE that polluted our rivers and lakes, now ethanol that lowers mileage and creates a higher carbon footprint. Pay attention to what these law makers are doing to your wallet.
rocky jhutty

Yuba City, CA

#12 Jan 31, 2009
i will create new jobs, i will make big change ,i will do this and that,i know what u can do ,make stupid laws and push all ca truckers , contruction people, farmers,who own diesel equpiment and make their living ,feed their children and tring to survive in bad recession time out from their own houses.let me give u idea if u want to create jobs who ever make all these law they need to buy all this trucks with market price or give each trucker whatever it cost to put epa regulation in their trucks.other wise i dont think so ca state or other states who follow this law not abel to fill this planet with clean air but well u guys will help more hard workers americans to file bankruptcys.uer clean air plan bring more unemployment in usa.
WestCoastTrucker

New Cuyama, CA

#13 Feb 22, 2009
they should stop grabbing us truckers by the balls with these emission laws they should go to mexico and look at their smog you can actually see all the smog at some point they should be helping countries like those with their emmisions cuz the atmosphere is the same for all of us what is the whole point of taking care of just one piece of atmosphere where you should be helping countries like that minimize their emissions
F Truckers

Turlock, CA

#14 Feb 22, 2009
WestCoastTrucker wrote:
they should stop grabbing us truckers by the balls with these emission laws they should go to mexico and look at their smog you can actually see all the smog at some point they should be helping countries like those with their emmisions cuz the atmosphere is the same for all of us what is the whole point of taking care of just one piece of atmosphere where you should be helping countries like that minimize their emissions
get out of my way ass bite trucker!
Corralitos Taxpayer

Watsonville, CA

#15 Feb 22, 2009
Pajaroite wrote:
Farmers would complain if they were lashed with a new whip !
People shouldn't complain about farmers with their mouth full
12345678 idaho

United States

#16 Jan 28, 2010
california lawmakers: your state is broke! and still you make laws that make you broker!!!!! VERY SOON, no one will want to haul into your state!!! you have an awesome state but you've ruined it with all your stupid laws! soon only the very rich(we call em millionaires)will be livin in your state! sounds like nazi tactics! oh yeah "arnie" would probably like it that way!
Manny

United States

#17 Aug 22, 2011
Woof wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course the smart guys will just sell their non-compliant trucks out of state and buy new compliant trucks.
Yeah cause we are shitting $Money$!!! We work in this busyness to make money, not the other way around...0_o???

Right?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hollister Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Help me get home Jan 12 Lauralanthalasa 2
Review: First Security Services (May '14) Jan 11 Jennifer Lawrence 34
Anarcists Cance Tea Dance Again Dec 29 LaTreena Toots 1
Mall Sex Annoys Foreign Tourists Dec 29 Happy Buts 1
News Could Salinas Become the Next Sanctuary City on... (Sep '07) Dec '16 USCITIZEN 15
News Salinas singer Larry Hosford dies Dec '16 Gina olanio 2
Salinas Windshield repair and Auto glass replac... Nov '16 DGO 2

Hollister Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hollister Mortgages