Shuster: Use stimulus money to reopen Scotland School

U.S. Rep. Bill Shuster, R-Hollidaysburg, sent a letter to Gov. Ed Rendell urging him to use American Recovery and Reinvestment Act funds to reopen Scotland School for Veterans Children. Full Story
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

“vestri solemnitas ”

Since: Feb 08

WaynesWorld

#62 Nov 5, 2009
mom of 2 wrote:
I agree with the other posters. This would be a HUGE waste of money! Most of these kids aren't even veteran's children. If you want to help the vets, find a cause that will use the money directly to a war veteran. What is so fantastic about this school that he is insisting on reopening it? I just don't get it.
You'll get it once you see 20,000 aluminum coffins as they fly into Dover air Force Base
from Afghanistan. People never see the need until it is stuffed under their noses.
Might I remind you slow thinking short sighted denizens of Franklin County that we are at war? Ask the Russians how that worked out for them. When the body bags start getting unloaded and sorted out maybe a few of you veteran haters will change your tune.
Alumni -West Chester Pa

Philadelphia, PA

#63 Nov 5, 2009
No MoM of 2 you don't get it and you never will
unless there was no such thing as birth control
or abortion and you have the Men in your family
willing to give their life to keep you safe and
America free so that your children have a safe
enviornment to grow up and be educated in.
This mentioned stimulus is specifically for
Education and specifically for Pennsylvania.
D_F_F

Shippensburg, PA

#64 Nov 5, 2009
matt proud ssvc student wrote:
sos sos sos save our school save my family by the way i am not from philly and my dad is a veteran
Doesn't look like the school was doing you much good...You should study the English language and learn of grammar, capitalization, punctuation and sentence structure. My chidren can read and write proper English thanks to a public school education.
Rob

Wilmington, DE

#65 Nov 6, 2009
three generations later wrote:
<quoted text>
You'll get it once you see 20,000 aluminum coffins as they fly into Dover air Force Base
from Afghanistan. People never see the need until it is stuffed under their noses.
Might I remind you slow thinking short sighted denizens of Franklin County that we are at war? Ask the Russians how that worked out for them. When the body bags start getting unloaded and sorted out maybe a few of you veteran haters will change your tune.
SSVC is insulting the dead soldiers by admitting kids primarily from Philly and have NO relation to any veteran. An insult is an insult and this school did it in a cheap & fraudulent, it's sickening.

You've obviously never served your country to be so blind to this.

People, the governor stated WHY he closed the school and submitted various reports in doing so...which the school couldn't refute without lying.
Hello Out There

Mount Aetna, PA

#66 Nov 6, 2009
Does this dude realize that the school year is already a couple months old and these jobs are gone.

Go back to sleep "Son of Bud."
get a clue

Newville, PA

#67 Nov 6, 2009
it is what it is wrote:
You guys are all so against SSVC reopening.. Well if they used the money to get the school back up and running and then MADE the parents pay the tuition that they're supposed to pay it wouldn't be a problem! It wouldn't have to be run w/ your tax money. That would just go to the necessary add ons at CASHS! Problem solved make the parents pay the tuition and everyone will be happy;; the kids would all be happy and back at ssvc and all of you would quit b!t(hing about ****! Only downfall the inmates wouldn't have a work release job anymore! Oh wait you'd all start b!t(hing about that too!
Your just ticked because you or someone you know has to take care of one of these kids now. If you want SSVC open great open as a private school. yes we built onto CASHS because we do have a lot of kids in this school and the number are growing (and remember our tax dollars paid for this!)
get a clue

Newville, PA

#68 Nov 6, 2009
Michele Boyance - 1970 wrote:
Please reopen Scotland. It is more than a school, it is a home to children who may have no other place to go. Or who have less than adequate homes to be raised in. I attended SSVC for 6 valuable years. They taught me the self discipline I needed and provided the education I needed in order to attend Nursing School and work as an RN, and as an Assist. Nursing Director for 30 years. I have paid a ton of money in taxes and have provided worth while services to the community. I shudder to think of what my future may have been without Scotlands influence and care.
Thank you.
Michele Boyance Levy
It's not our problem some of these kids come from "LESS THEN ADEQUATE"homes, why help them? We have kids in our public schools that come from these homes let's start helping our kids in our community first.
Ken

AOL

#70 Nov 16, 2009
In recent years, the Scotland School was not an institution serving the needs of the orphaned children of war veterans – a myth frequently propagated by the school and its defenders. It was an expensive publicly financed, privately administered establishment and child care service benefiting a few well-connected, primarily black families from the Philadelphia area. Individuals within this group controlled school policy and admissions, while tax payers from the entire state footed the bill for their children to attend. At a cost of approximately $45,000 per student each year, the school, fed, housed, cared for and provided educational services to these families and their children. It was a great arrangement – for them, not for the taxpaying public. A series of video tapes shot at the school by students provided a glimpse into the lifestyle and environment our money was providing; it wasn’t a pretty picture. The tapes exposed what appeared to be out-of-control street thugs living it up, mugging for the camera and in some cases physically assaulting their housemates. Once exposed, the video tapes were quickly removed from the internet. But they left many people who had viewed the images with questions about the school’s administration and purpose. The carefully contrived propaganda presented on the school’s website had been exposed as fictional cover for what was really going on at the school.
In light of this revelation, the question that begs to be answered is not why the school was closed, that is rather obvious and was long overdue. The real burning question is why this institution was allowed reach this level of degradation funded by tax dollars, but presumably without proper public scrutiny or oversight? Who allowed this to happen? What person or agency is responsible for basically handing tax money to a group of Philadelphia con artists who for years were defrauding the public? I know this question is not politically correct, so it will probably never be investigated or answered. But in a state with severe financial problems, with the attorney general working to root out public corruption that misappropriate taxpayer dollars, someone should be asking these questions and someone should be held accountable.
old salt

Columbus, OH

#71 Nov 16, 2009
You know Ken, you said a lot in your post.
Very well written, good job.
Screwed

Newville, PA

#72 Nov 16, 2009
old salt wrote:
You know Ken, you said a lot in your post.
Very well written, good job.
Agreed, very well written. Sen Kitchens and Virginia James did a lot to keep this scam going, and very quietly at that. Some families flooded this place with kids, cousins, and close friends. At one time this school did a great job, notably in the 40's 50's and 60's, then it got hijacked. Anyone that even questioned this school was thought of as racist. I guess the good thing about a downturn in the economy is that it brings scams such as this to the forefront. Thank you Gov. Rendell for having the guts to do it this time!!!
Mike

Washington Boro, PA

#73 Nov 19, 2009
I not only agree with Ken, I think this matter should be brought to the attention of the Pennsylvania Attorney General's office and investigated.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hollidaysburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
PA Who do you support for Lieutenant Governor in P... (Oct '10) 51 min LouSirFur 184
PA Who do you support for Governor in Pennsylvania... (Oct '10) 7 hr Obamas Open Borde... 51,505
Why are military helicopters flying 24/7 in Alt... Sat Solomon 1
PA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Pennsylva... (Oct '10) Fri Just Saying 3,999
Have you seen a huge black wasp with 2 stingers? (Jul '12) Aug 27 FortyTiL5 3
John Lee Sine Yard Sale Aug 25 PrivateDetective 1
Legislation allows Act 47 cities to triple serv... Aug '14 Elmer Fink 1
•••
•••

Hollidaysburg Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Hollidaysburg People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••