Washington Township asks for Bill Shu...

Washington Township asks for Bill Shuster's help to keep heavy trucks off local roads

There are 12 comments on the Public Opinion story from Feb 13, 2011, titled Washington Township asks for Bill Shuster's help to keep heavy trucks off local roads. In it, Public Opinion reports that:

Washington Township officials are reaching out to U.S. Rep. Bill Shuster, R-Hollidaysburg, for help in preventing trucks weighing more than 80,000 pounds from using township roads.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Public Opinion.

Jim Light

Willard, MO

#1 Feb 14, 2011
"The township took action against trucks being permitted to be bigger than what they are now," Christopher told Public Opinion. Writing a letter to Shuster stops bigger trucks. Really! Some western states run 97,000 on 7 axles and their roads aren't all busted up, so why are yours at 80,000 on 5 axles? Pounds per square inch of tire surface determines damage. Bigger trucks with 7 axles may do less than the current 80,000/5 axle combination.
Jack

Waynesboro, PA

#2 Feb 14, 2011
Jim,

Lets look at the common sense issue here that isn't even being discussed. Trucks are too big and unsafe already. Allowing them to get bigger is stupid and dangerous. We should be diverting more freight to rail and getting these things off the road.

To your point on the western states......they have a fraction of the truck traffic as the Northeast. Thats why their roads are in better condition.....not weight displacement.
Jim Light

Macks Creek, MO

#3 Feb 14, 2011
To and from the rails takes more trucks. Most of the freight that can efficiently go on rail is already on rail. Short haul freight, overnight hauls don't work on rail. And Jack you might want to look at safety statistics before you say trucks are already unsafe. It is not supported by facts but is by biased opinions. Reducing weight displacement would do less damage. True about truck traffic. Pa has more than most any other state.
Jack

Waynesboro, PA

#4 Feb 14, 2011
I know what I experience......and driving next to those things makes me nervous. They're huge already and I don't think they need to get bigger.....that is all.
Popeye

Carlisle, PA

#5 Feb 14, 2011
Jack wrote:
I know what I experience......and driving next to those things makes me nervous. They're huge already and I don't think they need to get bigger.....that is all.
Sounds like maybe you should 1 of 2 things: Get some self confidence while behind the wheel. Or turn in your license.
I see it now

United States

#6 Feb 14, 2011
"Washington Township officials are reaching out to U.S. Rep. Bill Shuster, R-Hollidaysburg, for help in preventing trucks weighing more than 80,000 pounds from using township roads."

I can see it now....fat ask Billy standing in the middle of Rt-16 waving his arms and yelling, "YOU CAN'T GO HERE." I'M HELPING PREVENTS TRUCKS LIKE YOUR."

Too much under the table $$$$ influencing Shustisy decision making. WA Twph can't even come close to matching the Trucking Industries deep pockets.
Jennifer

Chambersburg, PA

#7 Feb 14, 2011
Perhaps the real issue isn't the trucks being too big or too heavy, but rather the 'lack of funding for infrastructure.' The lack of funding isn't because there isn't any money. It's because the projects being approved are for other things....like side projects that take months or years longer than initially projected. There are millions of dollars being handed out to 'friends' who take too long, cut too many corners and pocket too much of the taxpayers money. Big trucks might be scary, but if you start limiting their access you also start limiting your supply - of everything.
Jack

Waynesboro, PA

#8 Feb 14, 2011
Popeye wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds like maybe you should 1 of 2 things: Get some self confidence while behind the wheel. Or turn in your license.
Ok sport, perhaps I need some road spinach then. Pardon me, if I understand that I can't control a driver that has been on the road for 10 hours behind the wheel of a 97,000lb truck.
Royedw

United States

#9 Feb 14, 2011
As a "former" over the road driver and resident of Chambersburg I can say with a good degree of knowledge that allowing triples to run anywhere off the interstates is a very bad idea in Pennslyvania! Weight, displacement and such as being argued isn't the problem when it would come to say, driving through Waynesboro, Greencastle or Chambersburg. It's the length of these bigger trucks, you're going to be crunching 4 wheelers making turns and such!

The Western states can accommodate trips because their interstate highways are newer and in better shape than Eastern (older) roads, but even then, they are limited to just how far they can travel off the interstate highway.

If trips are permitted on the interstate they would have to run terminal to terminal and loads would have to be dispersed on LTL (less than truckload)trucks for local delivery.
greg

Chambersburg, PA

#10 Feb 14, 2011
you go Royedw someone knows what they are talking about.
Vicki Mowrey

Waynesboro, PA

#11 Feb 14, 2011
Could it be that there is a former congressional aid in this mix that works for the railroads and is trying to drive all the trucks off the highway?!?!?!
forchange

Mercersburg, PA

#12 Feb 15, 2011
Of course there is and the $ flows right into Shuster's pocket.

Shuster is wined, dined, bought and paid for...
http://voicesweb.org/node/1765

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hollidaysburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Glendale Yearound. For Gods sake stay away from... (Apr '15) Jan 5 Evil behind the gate 27
Hollidaysburg Veterans Home Dec 21 MMM 1
altoona (Apr '06) Dec '17 Ronda 29
A Chat Area just for Altoona (Aug '06) Dec '17 Nathan 233
Review: Home Solutions Of PA (Mar '13) Jul '17 Kevinparmour 30
moving to altoona, pa (Aug '06) Jan '17 Ancsa 117
News Nathan Shaw Found Guilty of First-Degree Murder (Jan '07) Sep '16 carriebeee 39

Hollidaysburg Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hollidaysburg Mortgages