moving to altoona, pa
First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Belle

AOL

#1 Aug 27, 2006
Hello outthere!!

I am planning to visti the Altoona area in the middle of September and I would like to ask to anyone who can advice me about Altoona... jobs... cost of living... property prices... etc;
It would be extremely appreciated,

Thank you!!

Belle
Belle

AOL

#2 Aug 27, 2006
My Goodness, I was reading some of your forums and I am hesitant(not to say scare!) to go now...
So, there is no good areas in Altoona??
And if there is any, will you please which areas are good to look for homes??
East, north, West, South?? Gosh...

thanks for input you can provide...
dre

AOL

#3 Aug 27, 2006
BELLE move to the south side around 31st ! the only bad spot in southside is the nickerbockers do not go up north (fairview hills)or west- Washington ave if u stay out of them two area's you will be ok . job wise cln is a great way to get a good career in this city if u just wanna get a easy job hit the pleasant valley blvd theres like 50 restaurants and alot of stores.
Belle

AOL

#4 Aug 29, 2006
Thank you dre for answering my posting...

sincerely,

Belle
Yappi

State College, PA

#5 Aug 30, 2006
Why here? Why did you not research first?
Do you like living among those in severe poverty?
Do "backwoods" people entertain you?
Do you like being burglarised?
Do you like working at Wal-Mart?

Did the lack of response at this forum clue you in?
Burn

State College, PA

#6 Aug 30, 2006
Belle, there are many good areas in Altoona. The problem is, most of the bad areas are less than 5 blocks from any good area.

Don't let the forums discourage you. There is a lot of crime recently, but only in comparison to the past. There is a big drug problem that has popped up over the last 10 years or so.

I would say the nicest parts of altoona are the outlying areas. Duncansville, Greenwood, Frankstown, Sinking Valley, Scotch Valley,(any place with a valley).

If you want to live IN altoona, well, good luck with that. Nice neighborhoods, with bad neighborhoods a few blocks away.
Belle

AOL

#7 Aug 30, 2006
hahaha
This response is for.... yappi???:-/
I guess because I have family on the other side of PA and wanted to be closer but not too close.
I did some research but I guess I looked in the wrong place.
for the other questions: No! hehehe, how backwoods?? NOOOOOOOOO!!! Well, Walmart is a big monopoly that offers more than retail stores. Actually, the warehouses pay fairly well here in Florida and the diverse positions are limitless.
And lastly... I supposed noone likes to talk bad about their neighborhood.
By the way... why are you still there???:-| Do you enjoy those things yourself??? hehe
Thank you for your response,
Belle
Belle

AOL

#8 Aug 30, 2006
Burn,
First of all, thanks for answering.
I definitely will visit the area. I will also consider those areas that you mentioned. I don't exactly now how it is to live in a bad area. I have live in NJ, KY and now FL with no major problems so far. In KY I use to go and leave my door open with no worries.
It's a big country... if I don't like Altoona or the surrounding areas I might need to consider living in another state... I need other important factors(security, jobs, etc;) before moving to a new town so thank you for all your responses...
belle
dre

AOL

#9 Aug 30, 2006
belle if u do visit altoona go to the southside around 31st you dont see a bad block anywhere.its very layed back ive lived there for 2 years and havent seen a drug or a violence problem around.and for buisness theres new places opening up all the time .for example were getting 50 new stores from a brand new strip mall opening up.and go to http://www.hot-ads.com/browse/index.cfm ? and you will find alot of people looking to hire there.
altoona4life

Frenchville, PA

#10 Sep 1, 2006
Belle, the drug problem in altoona is no different than Hollidaysburg, Duncansville, Greenwood, or any other place in america. If your looking for a good area to live in altoona look at eldorado, whenwood, and north juniata is nice too. If your not into backwoods don't live in Hollidaysburg, Duncansville or Greenwood. These are about as backwoods as rural west virginia. As far as security I've lived here for a number of years and never had a problem with a theft or any other problem. If your serious about moving here come visit my family has found alot to do in the area and we love it.
adam

AOL

#11 Sep 5, 2006
altoona4life i cant agree with the comment of the drug problem is no different than hollidaysburg - Duncansville or greenwood theres a huge difference alot more drugs in this city and there number one choice is heroin and thats not common in a lot of citys.
Burn

State College, PA

#12 Sep 5, 2006
I also can't agree with the statement that Hollidaysburg, Greenwood, and Duncansville is "backwoods". Eldorado is loaded with trailer courts. So, if you're looking to move into a trailer next to altoona4life, then go for it.

Whenwood isn't bad, I currently live there. But its only a few blocks from the low income housing. And a few blocks from PSU altoona campus.

North Juniata......well, that's not bad, but I'd say its MUCH more backwoods than Hollidaysburg. Hell, if you go 3 miles past it, its all farms.
altoona4life

Frenchville, PA

#13 Sep 7, 2006
Trailer Courts in eldorado?
Burn

State College, PA

#14 Sep 7, 2006
Yeah, hell the projects are right there too. 58th st and California Ave. Isn't there a trailer court right by the Fishbowl?

Eldorado is nice once you start moving towards the mountain. But you don't like the "backwoods".

And actually the whole area back by Blair sign company is pretty nice too.
tina

Altoona, PA

#15 Sep 21, 2006
so yeah, im a teenager attending penn state altoona campus. i would consider you not coming to altoona if you have kids. your kids will get into drugs and alcohol. find a place where they will be safe.. im not saying this to be mean or anything, but i grown up my whole life watching my back and i wouldn't want you or your children to do it..
Belle

AOL

#16 Sep 28, 2006
Hello again!!

... Thank you again for your answers. Well... I visited Altoona! Unfortunately I have been quite ill, even before I left on the 14 (another reason I didn't answer sooner) but sincerely, of the little bit I was able to see, I can sincerely say that it was not as bad as many of you lead me to believe.

Let me tell you people, I have seen far worse.
I personally like it. A small town that, for the most part, has polite, kind people (unlike in other places I've been in the USA). Actually... the people's friendliness reminded me a little of Kentucky, where I lived for almost a decade.

I have taken into consideration all your comments, and the ones who come back to read this forum again might think: "Oh! She doesn't know better since she doesn't live here," but to be sincere the "high crime of Altoona" does not worry me as much as the lack of... hmmm...(how can I put it in a delicate way???) Well, let's say, other important things like lack of good employment oportunities and also that is kind of... backwards in many(maaaaany many many)things, but it will eventually catch up with other places.

Believe it or not after I moved from KY to FL I thought that the sunshine state was going to be more advanced, due to their reputation. It turned out that KY was far ahead in many things that today have been incorporated and were not in existance at the time in FL, which were in KY, which unfairly has a reputation of being a 'hillbilly' state. Nothing further from the truth!

In relation with what many of you say about the crime in Altoona let me tell you... I've seen far worse, including here in Florida. I don't think that Altoona is as bad as certain areas of Tampa or Orlando, or worse, Miami.

I don't want you to take this the wrong way, but instead of complaining and letting the situation get worse, why don't all of you create a crime watch program like in many communities across america? You cannot let the goverment and authorities do everything for you. Sometimes, it also takes the help of the community to better the situation.

With regard to what Tina says about children getting into drugs, I must tell you that nobody forces anyone to do anything. I believe that when you don't have good guidance is when such problems show up in your life. Even with the best guidance, they can arise. But, at least, those who have been guided in a decent manner, no matter how lost they could find themselves in this world, they eventually can find their way back because those words that they remember remind them of the path that they have to follow to find their way back.

In my book, most people whom are in drugs or crime were not properly guided in their lives and that's why they end up where they are now. Not all, but most... the majority.

But going back to the topic, I really like Altoona for the most part and I am planning to visit before the middle of November again. Hopefully I will feel better by then and maybe I will have the opportunity of taking a closer look at the city and many other things before I make any desicions. Thanks to all for your comments,

Sincerely,

Belle
Burn

State College, PA

#17 Sep 28, 2006
Belle,
Good for you. I'm glad it was a good visit. The crime in altoona is nowhere near that of Miami, Tampa, or Orlando.

The crime in Altoona is blown out of proportion. You have to keep in mind that maybe 15 years ago, drugs were very scarce, and I believe my front door was unlocked from 1985-1996. That's how little crime there really was.

Advance to today, and well, a million dollar heroin ring was just brought down this week. Currently 3 high profile murder cases in the paper, and talks of a methadone clinic being built.
altoona4life

Frenchville, PA

#18 Oct 3, 2006
Belle, I'm glad to see you could see through the smoke cloud that some people put up infront of altoona as being a terrible place to live. I might agree that it isn't paradise but it sure isn't Oakland CA. or Hells Kitchen NY. Like I said before drugs are everywhere in every community. And I agree with your comment it's the guidence you recieve growing up. I hope you see the good things of altoona when you come back to visit.
Pam

Hillsville, VA

#19 Oct 13, 2006
Belle wrote:
My Goodness, I was reading some of your forums and I am hesitant(not to say scare!) to go now...
So, there is no good areas in Altoona??
And if there is any, will you please which areas are good to look for homes??
East, north, West, South?? Gosh...
thanks for input you can provide...
HOLLIDAYSBURG IS A BEAUTIFUL PLACE TO LIVE ALSO. ONLY 10-20 MINUTES FROM CERTAIN ALTOONA AREAS. SOMETHING TO CONSIDER OR LOOK INTO.
HOMES ARE BEAUTIFUL ALSO.
Pam

Hillsville, VA

#20 Oct 13, 2006
HOLLIDAYSBURG IS A BEAUTIFUL PLACE TO LIVE ALSO. ONLY 10-20 MINUTES FROM CERTAIN ALTOONA AREAS. SOMETHING TO CONSIDER OR LOOK INTO.
HOMES ARE BEAUTIFUL ALSO.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hollidaysburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Glendale Yearound. For Gods sake stay away from... (Apr '15) Jun 22 PA lover 10
Brett Shoenfelt is trash Jun 21 woodgrainwhip 1
Looking for Bonnie Pasquino Jun 6 Lover 1
Review: Penn View Suites (Oct '13) Jun 1 Kevin Rantz 8
News Abducted person case becomes double homicide (Jun '06) May 29 Brian 18
Glendale Yearound to be brought to its knees! (Oct '15) May 27 Comm_justice_seeker 2
News Cathedral Prep tennis players advance to Altoon... Apr '16 Lucy Jane 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hollidaysburg Mortgages