Teen in critical condition after Floyd accident

Feb 12, 2013 Full story: WKTV 267

Authorities are investigating a serious two-vehicle accident on Route 365 in the Town of Floyd that sent two men to the hospital.

Full Story
First Prev
of 14
Next Last
therighttruth

Holland Patent, NY

#1 Feb 12, 2013
School should have been delayed or even canceled today. The nerve of Mrs. Davis to say it's up to the parents to decide to let their kids drive to school. She has all the info from the towns giving her the conditions of the roads. I bet they weren't the best. Try and deflect the blame away from herself and throw it to the parents. Shame on you Mrs. Davis! Parents don't have the road condition info she has. If school isn't closed or delayed parents are figuring the roads must not be that bad then. There are snow days for a reason and it's not to save them so you can have a longer memorial day weekend! Rest in peace young man. My heart goes out to his family. Very sad day.:(
Voice of Reason

Watertown, NY

#2 Feb 12, 2013
There was a young girl killed in a car accident in Oriskany a few weeks ago. Do you want to blame that on a school administrator, too? Sometimes people have to just accept responsibility for their own actions and not look for someone to blame. I'm sure having a villain makes it easier, but it's dishonest and teaches our kids the wrong lesson. It's winter in upstate NY. You can't close or delay school every time it snows. I saw a lot of people today driving too fast and too close for road conditions. Teach your kids how to drive in bad weather. Someday they'll be driving to a job that doesn't have snow days.
therighttruth

Holland Patent, NY

#3 Feb 13, 2013
I'll stick by what I said. And I will also add that alot of high school teachers were at least 20 minutes late because they couldn't get up the hill to the school. Bus drivers were complaining because it was so nasty out and complaining about it out loud on the bus. And the letter you (oops I mean she) sent home throwing the blame to the parents for letting their kids drive was a copout and a terrible thing to do after what they are going through. Such bad judgement on the superintendents part, all the way around. I hope she slept better after sending the letter. I didn't say school had to be closed or delayed everytime it snows but when its that bad on the roads a delay is warrented and that's what snow days are for to close when it's that bad.And as far as someday they will have to drive to a job well guess what that's why people call in and use their personal and sick days, so they don't have to risk their lives on days like that. And yes this is making me feel better placing the blame where it belongs. And I have taught my children how to drive in bad weather. Also taught them that trying to drive in that kind of weather is not worth risking your life over or the life of anyone else.
Sad

Ithaca, NY

#4 Feb 13, 2013
I agree with voice of reason. It's snowy NY, roads are bad sometimes. When I was a young inexperienced driver, my parents made me take the bus or they were "parents" and drove me to school. Blame can't be put on the school district here. It's a very sad ACCIDENT. Thoughts and prayers to the family.
therighttruth

Holland Patent, NY

#5 Feb 13, 2013
That's right the roads are bad sometimes that is what delays are for and the snow days are for. Not to "save" them. If they are all used up and need more oh well then the days will have to be taken away from spring vacation. As long as the kids are safe that is just fine.
Sad

Ithaca, NY

#6 Feb 13, 2013
I'm sorry for your loss therighttruth. But lashing out will not help the healing process. Parents need to be parents not just blindly follow the schools, and then blame schools when ACCIDENTS happen.
therighttruth

Holland Patent, NY

#7 Feb 13, 2013
"I" didn't lose anything or anyone. I'm commenting as a concerned parent and grandparent. And I'll keep putting the blame where it belongs on the decision not to delay or cancel. Didn't even know the family. And I can't even imagine the pain they are going through. Thankfully I don't have to go through a "healing process". The decision to not delay was wrong!
therighttruth

Holland Patent, NY

#8 Feb 13, 2013
You think I'm nuts or this is spam? Sorry you would be wrong. And you must be a Mrs. Davis sympathizer. I'm not.
wow

Utica, NY

#9 Feb 13, 2013
therighttruth wrote:
"I" didn't lose anything or anyone. I'm commenting as a concerned parent and grandparent. And I'll keep putting the blame where it belongs on the decision not to delay or cancel. Didn't even know the family. And I can't even imagine the pain they are going through. Thankfully I don't have to go through a "healing process". The decision to not delay was wrong!
You are an idiot. Go back to your trailer.
therighttruth

Holland Patent, NY

#10 Feb 13, 2013
LOL you first. You have absolutely no idea how far from a trailer I come from. At least I got a little laugh from your comment. Besides I know some very nice and decent people who live in trailers. You are a racist. And you must be another Davis symphathizer.
Banmrsdavis

East Granby, CT

#11 Feb 13, 2013
Don't worry God himself has a special place for mrs Davis. It's called Hell and I hope she rots for eternity. And I would gladly stomp on her grave.
Gross

Syracuse, NY

#12 Feb 13, 2013
Banmrsdavis wrote:
Don't worry God himself has a special place for mrs Davis. It's called Hell and I hope she rots for eternity. And I would gladly stomp on her grave.
Just your comments show the ignorance or shall I say the stupidity of yourself...... Anyone and I mean anyone who would say such nasty things about another person like you have, says a lot about you as a person and that you are a disgrace to the human race...."Rot in Hell"? Whoever you are you'll probably see her there because your choice words are ones spoken by the devil. Godbless you and you miserable life.
I agree

Rome, NY

#13 Feb 13, 2013
The put snow days, delays in the school system in this area for a reason.

Let us look at the day before. It was freezing rain outside. Two elementary buses went off the road because of the ice. And this was just reported from GWF. One bus went into the ditch right after picking up a child. I mean it went into the ditch from while trying to drive away. That parent promptly took her child off the bus.

Mrs. Davis department lied to everyone and said the freezing rain didn't start until 8am, and there was nothing they could do about it.

Bull! So how come, at 8am when I left for work, my entire Truck was covered in a sheet of ice? You tell me that happened in a course of one minute?

I drove the expressway into Rome, saw 6 cars off the road...and that was before I came to the 6 to 10 car pile up. So again, roads iced up so bad in a matter of minutes?

I understand we need to teach better driving, and teach children to be safer when driving in poor conditions. But Tuesday morning the roads were very bad...and that was 8am. Even the local news warned about bad road conditions for both days.

In addition, the local DPW department is short on employee's due to them being down in Long Island helping them dig out. The lack of drivers is/was so bad, that 365, and State Route, was not up to par in regards to be cleared. The State Route I live on, which has a driver who plows even when it is dry...was no where to be found.

Other schools in the area went on delay. So I don't understand why HP did not. It makes no sense, specially when one snow day was blown earlier in the year due to closing school a day before even seeing if we got the amount of snow forecasted for a potential storm. Yet when the storm is right in our face, the school can't decide what is the correct thing to do.

The entire past two days they were in fault. At the very least I am upset that they couldn't fess up to Monday's goof...but instead lied about the weather at the time. I lost my trust in them right there.

Even more so when the letter came home yesterday. What a crock! Oh really? So as a parent, I can make the decision to give my child their own snow day? So does it count towards them as a snow day? Or an absence?

With the terrain some of these buses have to face, and the road conditions these past few morning. I still can not fathom why school didn't issue at least a one or two hour delay. Made and makes no sense to me! It isn't like the school is desperately holding on to their final snow day. And it is not like winter has just started.

Fact of the matter is, if they did delay school yesterday due to poor road conditions, a life may have been saved. But on the other hand, you can say if the parents forced their child to ride the bus, we/I could say the same thing.

So I really can't not point the finger at the school for a child's death. But they could have played a part in preventing it from happen, same as the parents.

I think pushing off the blame on all of this, and sending home that letter shows their guilt though.

So flame away.
Kevin

Syracuse, NY

#14 Feb 13, 2013
therighttruth wrote:
LOL you first. You have absolutely no idea how far from a trailer I come from. At least I got a little laugh from your comment. Besides I know some very nice and decent people who live in trailers. You are a racist. And you must be another Davis symphathizer.
Lol @ not knowing the definition of racism.
Kevin

Syracuse, NY

#15 Feb 13, 2013
I agree wrote:
The put snow days, delays in the school system in this area for a reason.
Let us look at the day before. It was freezing rain outside. Two elementary buses went off the road because of the ice. And this was just reported from GWF. One bus went into the ditch right after picking up a child. I mean it went into the ditch from while trying to drive away. That parent promptly took her child off the bus.
Mrs. Davis department lied to everyone and said the freezing rain didn't start until 8am, and there was nothing they could do about it.
Bull! So how come, at 8am when I left for work, my entire Truck was covered in a sheet of ice? You tell me that happened in a course of one minute?
I drove the expressway into Rome, saw 6 cars off the road...and that was before I came to the 6 to 10 car pile up. So again, roads iced up so bad in a matter of minutes?
I understand we need to teach better driving, and teach children to be safer when driving in poor conditions. But Tuesday morning the roads were very bad...and that was 8am. Even the local news warned about bad road conditions for both days.
In addition, the local DPW department is short on employee's due to them being down in Long Island helping them dig out. The lack of drivers is/was so bad, that 365, and State Route, was not up to par in regards to be cleared. The State Route I live on, which has a driver who plows even when it is dry...was no where to be found.
Other schools in the area went on delay. So I don't understand why HP did not. It makes no sense, specially when one snow day was blown earlier in the year due to closing school a day before even seeing if we got the amount of snow forecasted for a potential storm. Yet when the storm is right in our face, the school can't decide what is the correct thing to do.
The entire past two days they were in fault. At the very least I am upset that they couldn't fess up to Monday's goof...but instead lied about the weather at the time. I lost my trust in them right there.
Even more so when the letter came home yesterday. What a crock! Oh really? So as a parent, I can make the decision to give my child their own snow day? So does it count towards them as a snow day? Or an absence?
With the terrain some of these buses have to face, and the road conditions these past few morning. I still can not fathom why school didn't issue at least a one or two hour delay. Made and makes no sense to me! It isn't like the school is desperately holding on to their final snow day. And it is not like winter has just started.
Fact of the matter is, if they did delay school yesterday due to poor road conditions, a life may have been saved. But on the other hand, you can say if the parents forced their child to ride the bus, we/I could say the same thing.
So I really can't not point the finger at the school for a child's death. But they could have played a part in preventing it from happen, same as the parents.
I think pushing off the blame on all of this, and sending home that letter shows their guilt though.
So flame away.
What do the conditions on Monday have to do with the accident on Tuesday?
therighttruth

Holland Patent, NY

#16 Feb 13, 2013
Wow. This is the first I heard about the buses going off the roads on monday. Another terrible decision by the one and only Mrs. Davis. It makes you wonder about her capabilities of her doing her job. And to you "I agree", I agree with eveything you said! Alot of people are quick to defend her decisions but no one seems to want to stand up and say she was wrong and could have done better. I bet after this if the weather is extra questionable and she doesn't delay or cancel, there will be alot of children staying home on that day!
Christine B

New York, NY

#17 Feb 13, 2013
My children attend HP High School and the Yagey family and some of their family live right up the road from us. As does the rest of the community we all feel for their loss and will do whatever we can to help them through this difficult time. With that being said, I was extremely upset at the letter my daughter brought home yesterday. She is a senior and drives her and her brother to school every day. If the school district deems it safe for the busses to travel with our children why wouldn't any parent think it was safe enough for anyone to drive. Horribly someone earlier posted we need to teach our children to drive in these conditions....how dare anyone assume it was Joey's fault! He would NOT have been driving in these conditions had school been delayed. Oddly enough that retched letter that came home stated that HP looks at other schools in the area of HP to see what they are doing...WELL they either delayed or closed all schools in that area yesterday. The day before was horrible with ice as well. There is no harm in a delay, nobody loses any state aid and nobody misses attendance. I guarantee if I kept my child home because I thought the weather was too bad to travel whether by bus or car the district would give them an "unexcused" absence. I can't imagine how Mrs. Davis feels but as a parent she not only made a bad choice in not delaying or canceling school but a worse choice when she sent that letter home.
therighttruth

Holland Patent, NY

#18 Feb 13, 2013
Not every child received the letter to bring home. I only heard about it. And from what I heard it wasn't good. Going to try and get one so I can read it for myself. Everything you said was right on and I thank you for saying what others are afraid to voice or have a hard time expressing. To the Yagey family, their friends and neighbors I am so sorry for your loss.
therighttruth

Holland Patent, NY

#19 Feb 13, 2013
Kevin wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol @ not knowing the definition of racism.
You can thank my Holland Patent education for that.
Gross

Syracuse, NY

#20 Feb 13, 2013
therighttruth wrote:
<quoted text>You can thank my Holland Patent education for that.
Another one of Holland Patents finest..........People Make mistakes and your latest is blabbing your fat mouth after this tragedy. Get a life, in fact, embrace the life you have and show some class for the family that lost their son and shut up. I've known the Chandler, Yagey, and Roback family for years and they would be sickened by the trash being spread in this forum and about the school district. I would ask you to show class but that is to great of task to ask someone like you. Again all I can say is Gross and shame on your trashy behavior

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 14
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Holland Patent Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who is Mike Tebsherany? (Apr '12) 23 min Skin Cancer 38
Josh Wishert whats his deal (Dec '09) 4 hr UC for life 19
Bobby O stalking Catholic Monks 5 hr local Catholic 1
attention upd 5 hr macom x 10
Nice try 6 hr John Husnay 3
Kim Simon Murder (Feb '10) 6 hr concerned 4,757
Al Carbone Sex Tape Leaked 6 hr well 4
•••
•••
•••