An Alternative, Inclusive Scouting Or...

An Alternative, Inclusive Scouting Organization

Posted in the Holland Forum

Open Minded Redneck

Holland, MI

#1 Jan 18, 2013
My first attempt was to present the idea of a non-discrimination policy for our local Pack to our BSA Council. After a lengthy talk with the Council representative about the idea, I was told that if we adopted a local, non-discrimination policy they would revoke our Pack's charter. I was incredulous. I told the representative at that point, that as an atheist, I was clearly in violation of their policy but that as an Eagle Scout, Leader and longtime active scouter in the program I was a good example of the kind of person the BSA should want involved at the local level, despite my lack of faith or religion. The representative then told me -- in no uncertain terms -- that I was not what the BSA was looking for in an adult leader and to find another organization in which to participate.

I want a Scouting organization that is open to all youth and adults in the spirit of Scouting as a worldwide movement meant to unite cultures around the world in the ideal of service over self. A Scouting organization with a traditional program based on building character and responsibility through the progressive teaching of outdoor skills and a love of nature. Scouting in the U.S., for me, should reflect the respect for diversity, promotion of inclusiveness and hope for the future that we all want to represent and as parents instill in our children.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-atchley/a...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Holland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Stuff Your Fat Face Batchy Boy 37__Midwest Drou... 30 min District 1 10
Report: Facebook Could Owe $5 Billion In Taxes 10 hr No PC for Me 1
Bill Clinton Snatches Balloon Out Of Hands Of L... 10 hr No PC for Me 1
Justin Bieber TURNS Down $5,000,000.00 from the... 14 hr uzi does it 4
Ian Doesn't Watch One Second of RNC or DNC Conv... 14 hr uzi does it 2
home ownership now the lowest itÂ’s been since 1... 14 hr Disco Stu 9
More traitors to the cause?.... 14 hr Disco Stu 1

Holland Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance