Village looks to limit use of leaf blowers

Full story: Newsday 55
The sedate village of Head of the Harbor might get a lot quieter soon. The village plans to hold a public hearing on a new ordinance to limit the use of leaf blowers, both in duration and time of day. Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
anon

Bronx, NY

#42 Apr 24, 2008
Hey slick I wouldn't call the abusive sound of deafening leaf blowers part of the NORMAL sound of living in the suburbs.Use a rake it's not that much of an effort.I have to LOL at that one.
tired of it

Hackettstown, NJ

#43 Apr 24, 2008
Mark wrote:
As a landscape company owner, I will say...be careful what you wish for, you may just get it. If these people think they are paying a lot for property maintenance now, they don't want to know what it would cost to have my crew hand raking leaves off their property.
Don't forget, it is the OCD, lazy and overworked that created the need for a service like mine.
Count me out. I am one of the few Responsible Home Owners that maintane my own pocessions. You are right, It's the lazy , fat, "i'm too important" people that gave you you livelyhood.
Families would be bonded closer together if Mommy , daddy and the kids were working their land and not giving their resposibility away.
booker t

Hackettstown, NJ

#44 Apr 24, 2008
Crazy World We Live In wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey! Why the need for this new law?
The average lot in this area is an acre. Why not go hang out in a spot on your 1-acre lot that is furthest away from the noise to get away from it?
Next they're gonna complain that the neighbor's pool pump that runs day and night is too loud and suggest they either buy a new pump that makes less noise or move the damn pool!
Ummm th ejackass next to me Was smart enough to install the pool pump away from his house but inconsiderate enough not to care about me. That guy runs the Heater and pump 24-7. He DOES need a beating. He should have installed it close to his house so he can hear it OR he should have built his Pool house over it so it's inside.
COMMON SENSE and CONSIDERATION will go a long way on this Island
Poor Eddie

AOL

#45 Apr 24, 2008
It's the the "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous" world sooo many L.I.ers think they live in which requires a landscaper at every house.

Fire the landscaper and pay down your $50K credit card bill!
Slick

Williston Park, NY

#46 Apr 24, 2008
anon wrote:
Hey slick I wouldn't call the abusive sound of deafening leaf blowers part of the NORMAL sound of living in the suburbs.Use a rake it's not that much of an effort.I have to LOL at that one.
Whats the difference between the sound of a leaf blower VS.
-A Lawnmower
-A Weedwacker
-A Harley Davidson
-A Pool Filter
-The guys next door having a barbeque and playing some music
-The jet from LaGuardia/JFK/Islip above
-The garbage truck collecting trash
-The kids screaming and laughing as they jump on the trampoline
-etc.
As far as I'm concerned, once we start getting specific with what you can or can't use or do to make noise you're going to have all these nuts who just come up with more BS reasons why something else shouldn't be allowed.
liner

Hicksville, NY

#49 Apr 24, 2008
jjjr wrote:
The wet back bagpipes are a boon to landscapers, they blow the grass all over the place! Ever watch them? blowing all the crap under the bushes and out onto the street! Never a broom or rake in sight!
Wet back bagpipes. Hadn't heard that one before.
what next

Scarsdale, NY

#50 Apr 24, 2008
I just use my lawn mower to shred and bag them.this will take longer.or I could use my snowblower to push most of them then finish with 2hrs of leaf blowing to get whats left.I wonder if my truck mounted vacuum could get the whole lawn no limit on the before I only ran it to get the pile now I will run the louder machine longer. Duh!
Joe Leaf

Brooklyn, NY

#51 Apr 24, 2008
There should be absolutely no limitations on leaf blowers, ever!
B2BB

Amityville, NY

#52 Apr 24, 2008
tired of it wrote:
<quoted text>
Count me out. I am one of the few Responsible Home Owners that maintane my own pocessions. You are right, It's the lazy , fat, "i'm too important" people that gave you you livelyhood.
Families would be bonded closer together if Mommy , daddy and the kids were working their land and not giving their resposibility away.
I too maintain my own yard, a half acre with several large oak and maple trees. My son and I enjoy working together. I use a commercial backpack blower, the same landscapers use, and he uses my hand held echo gas blower since he is only 7.

Pesky technology, I miss my horse and carriage too that I left the rake in.
DWW

South Plainfield, NJ

#53 Apr 24, 2008
Stupid wealthy Farks
clothes lined

Astoria, NY

#54 Apr 24, 2008
On Track wrote:
<quoted text>
Why are these things no longer possible?? I do both.
lets call them what they really are...DIRT BLOWERS!
mister hard driver

New Hyde Park, NY

#55 Apr 24, 2008
Mark wrote:
They have come a long way from when I started in 1982. Much quieter than they were then. I understand that there are a lot more landscapers out there now, too. I would absolutely buy quiter blowers if they were available!
I can understand limiting their use, but not a total ban.
We have a decent agreement now here in Huntington, 8-7 weekdays, and 9-5 on weekends. I could understand even banning them on weekends to be honest. My family and I were woken up by landsacapers working next door to us at 7:30 on a Sunday morning! That is completely unnecessary.
All I would say would be to use common sense (which I understand is limited in local government) And make sure your constituents know how much their leaf clean-up will cost in advance, because I don't want to hear that it's too expensive.
i would support a total ban on leafblowers. but its not just the noise, which is maddening, but also the dirt, dust, pollen and garbage thrown up into the air while the blower is working. to those with respiratory or allergic problems they are an arch enemy. it is known that particulate matter in the air, like the dust, pollen etc, causes the heart rate to increase as well as blood pressure. the noise also has a detrimental physical effect on the human body. so its not just an annoyance, but an actual health hazard.

my neighborhood is the 60 X 100 properties where the blowers move whatever does not get picked up to other people's property - house siding, windows, cars, sidewalks etc. this has led to a lot of arguments and bad feelings among the landscapers and homeowners.

you say your customers are lazy or overworked, but i can tell you that almost all the seniors in my neighborhood have to subscribe to landscapers because they simply are not able to do it themselves any more.

and the expense argument i always hear from the industry. make us rake and the price goes up. that may be true, to an extent, but i dont believe it to be a showstopper. i just edged my lawn where it meets the sidewalk, approx 120 feet, with a hand tool. the entire process, with cleanup took 50 minutes. this had not been edged in 20 years, so it was an extreme case.
it did not make any noise, raised hardly any dust, bellowed out no exhausts and did a good job.

i would propose instead of blowers they should employ vacuums, electric powered. quieter, no dust, no pushing the dirt to neighbors' property.
Fotoguy

Syosset, NY

#56 Apr 25, 2008
digger wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not rich, I don't believe I'm self indulgent. I don't blast my music, I don't let my dogs bark incessantly, I respect my neighbors right for peace and quiet so why can't I have the same?
You should have the same Digger. But, your context is a bit different. The location on LI of these owners & homes are such where they won't lift a finger for themselves. They buy the properties & hire the landscapers. Now they complain about the noise they initially hired on
DWW

South Plainfield, NJ

#57 Apr 29, 2008
THE LEAF BLOWER

aka MEXICAN BAGPIPES
Surfing

Salinas, CA

#58 Jun 27, 2013
Landscapers? Where? I've never seen a guy who uses a leaf blower ever do any landscaping. They destroy the landscape. Would they take food from their babies mouth? No. What do trees live on? Rotting leaves. Remove the leaves. Trees will die eventually. They don't live on air. If mow-blow-go workers had business minds, they would organize their work so each neighborhood are was only visited on certain days. On other days it could be silent. And "landscapers", learn how to landscape: plant trees, flowers, shrubs, and stop cutting and blowing everything. Lazy is being paid to walk around with a blower in your hand doing needless work. Be productive. Help climate change. Plant stuff, or is that too physically demanding? Too much like real work.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Holbrook Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Slime Bags (May '12) 4 min Busted 15
Subway (May '14) 10 min Taxes Due 3
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 8 hr scirocco 119,634
10,000 packets of heroin seized in Smithtown dr... (Nov '08) Dec 15 Streetrunner 153
Mother loses custody of daughters over 'House o... (Apr '07) Dec 14 Democracy 7
Old-Portion-Road-1891 (Apr '09) Dec 12 John 6
SCCC Destruction of Nature (Dec '12) Dec 10 No public input 8

Holbrook News Video

Holbrook Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Holbrook People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Holbrook News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Holbrook

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 8:09 am PST

NBC Sports 8:09AM
Antrel Rolle wants to play three more years with Giants
Bleacher Report12:09 PM
New England Patriots vs. New York Jets: What Are Experts Saying About New York?
ESPN12:28 PM
Beckham: Offensive ROY would be 'honor'
ESPN 1:41 PM
CB Thomas rips Jets for hands-off approach
NBC Sports 1:54 PM
Josh Thomas says Jets didn't coach him