Curtis and Jones Boot and Shoe Co, Reading, Pennsylvania

Posted in the Holbrook Forum

Michel R Lefevre

Harrisburg, PA

#1 Aug 13, 2011
Frederick W. Curtis and Frederick Jones started a shoe company in Reading,PA in the late 1800s and by 1902 had the largest boot and shoe factory in that city. Their father was named Joshua Curtis who may have been married to Abigail, Abegal. I am trying to find any record or information on Joshua Curtis.
Thus far I haven't had any luck. I live in Harrisburg so it's difficult to access local histories. Joshua Curtis is reputed to have had a business in East Abington or Rockland.
Michel R Lefevre

Harrisburg, PA

#2 Aug 13, 2011
I need information on Joshua Curtis the father of Frederick W. Curtis who with his partner Frederick Jones opened a boot and shoe manufacturing enterprise in Reading, PA in the 1880s and by 1902 had one of the largest shoe factory in that city.

Joshua Curtis was a shoemaker in East Abington according to an obituary for Frederick W. Curtis. I am trying to find out any information on Joshua Curtis.
Pete Noneman

Fairport, NY

#3 Dec 5, 2011
Michel R Lefevre wrote:
I need information on Joshua Curtis the father of Frederick W. Curtis who with his partner Frederick Jones opened a boot and shoe manufacturing enterprise in Reading, PA in the 1880s and by 1902 had one of the largest shoe factory in that city.
Joshua Curtis was a shoemaker in East Abington according to an obituary for Frederick W. Curtis. I am trying to find out any information on Joshua Curtis.
Just went to throw out an old wooden box it said Curtis Jones co Reading Pa on it. A search brought me to what you posted Michel. Now I know they were a shoe co. Want the box?
patrick hare

New York, NY

#4 Dec 10, 2012
Pete Noneman wrote:
<quoted text>
Just went to throw out an old wooden box it said Curtis Jones co Reading Pa on it. A search brought me to what you posted Michel. Now I know they were a shoe co. Want the box?
Do you still have the box? Please email me if so pathare66@yahoo.com thanks!!
Frederick W Curtis

Fredericksburg, VA

#5 Oct 30, 2013
Michel R Lefevre wrote:
Frederick W. Curtis and Frederick Jones started a shoe company in Reading,PA in the late 1800s and by 1902 had the largest boot and shoe factory in that city. Their father was named Joshua Curtis who may have been married to Abigail, Abegal. I am trying to find any record or information on Joshua Curtis.
Thus far I haven't had any luck. I live in Harrisburg so it's difficult to access local histories. Joshua Curtis is reputed to have had a business in East Abington or Rockland.
Frederick W. Curtis was b. Abington, MA 5 March 1858, the son of Joshua (b. 30 May 1825 in Abington; d. in Rockland, MA 1895) and Antoinette (Attwill/Atwell) Curtis. Antoinette was b. 25 Apr 1824 in Lynn, MA d/o Thomas and Lucy (Rhodes) Attwill; d. 20 May 1892 in Rockland. Joshua and Antoinette had 6 childrn, Fred W was the 4th. Joshua Curtis was s/o Joshua b. 18 Jly 1791 in England, who marr Nancy Studley 18 Mar 1815 in Hanover, MA. Nancy Studley is a descendent of Cornet Robert Stetson who settled in Norwell MA in 1635. The Stetson families are well known for their shoe manufacturing, hats (The Stetson Hat), and educational philanthropy (Stetson University, Deland, FL). All VR's from NEHGS Database, Ancestry and Census Records.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Holbrook Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Baker caps big week with Globe endorsement 3 hr GOTP 8
Canton Ma Airport Car Service (Mar '14) 15 hr Kundrot dionkie 5
Seeking Owner of Lost Class Ring (Jan '06) Wed sandee0822 530
dionkie blows (Aug '13) Oct 28 Truth 337
What do you like best about CW??? (Jul '10) Oct 28 Kundrot dionkie 1,311
Doink Rules (May '14) Oct 28 Doink C 131
Celebrate Chanukah in Stoughton (Dec '12) Oct 26 Kundrot dionkie 220

High Wind Watch for Norfolk County was issued at October 31 at 9:52AM EDT

Holbrook News Video

Holbrook Dating
Find my Match

Holbrook People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Holbrook News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Holbrook

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]