Reporter's Notebook: Nothing But Trouble

Reporter's Notebook: Nothing But Trouble

There are 31 comments on the City Pages story from Feb 12, 2008, titled Reporter's Notebook: Nothing But Trouble. In it, City Pages reports that:

Filed under: Real Estate The story of Brandon Flavin's adventures in real estate is complex and quite unusual. via City Pages

Join the discussion below, or Read more at City Pages.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
usedtobetheretoo

Kansas City, MO

#23 Oct 9, 2009
i also was one of the on time renters..everymonth sometimes early. there were 5 of us on the same block renting from them. all on time payers and all have families with 1 or more kids. were told the same deals, rent to own.. so we would make the house our homes by finishing garage and basements to fit"our lives" one day a sheriff showed up and said house needs to be vacated in 30 dyas or the sheriff would help us vacated the property. wow! i never would of guessed and alot of these guys were previous friends and/or customers of mine. i got taken also!as for us renters is there anything"rights" that we have or can be reimburssed for? we had writted lease agreements and everything with future purchase prices listed on the contract. thank you
Still Interested

Accokeek, MD

#24 Nov 2, 2009
Willis Bork If you are/were a victim maybe you should contact the FBI. They have a mortgage fraud task force going on and would be very interested in what happened to you.
others wrote:
Anyone heard of a guy named Willis Bork? He has a very similar scam. He says he is from California, stays in the Eden Prairie area. Has a brother and friend who are in on the scam. Their names are Baretta Bork and Nick Smith. Willis put over a million dollars worth of property in my name my credit is ruined and I was forced to file for bankrupcy.
others

Minneapolis, MN

#25 Dec 13, 2009
Please.....if you have been a victim of Willis or any of his "business parnters" contact the FBI. We, the people who thought we were investing, are victims. We are not in trouble. The more people we can get to help the more likely he will be indicted.
formeremployee

Inver Grove Heights, MN

#26 Feb 16, 2010
i worked for willis and those guys for over a year. they helped a lot of new comers in real estate. if new investors didn't pay their mortgages, how is that their fault??? they didn't take any loans, nor did they promise the bank to make payments. all the renters should be upset with their landlord, not the broker who helped your landlord get a loan. all you landlords need to take responsibility for the choices you made versus blaming someone else. i loss my home to foreclosure when i lost my job with those guys. i bought a home i knew i couldn't afford if i lost my job. i don't get online and blame the loan officer that helped me get the loan.... i blame myself for getting in over my OWN head.
formeremployee

Inver Grove Heights, MN

#27 Feb 16, 2010
one more thing. i seen all those guy's profiles on facebook.com , so i hardly doubt any of them are hiding. if you really wanted to contact them, none of them would be hard to find....
others

Minneapolis, MN

#28 Mar 3, 2010
Well for one thing Willis just got on facebook (under a different name) Xavier Bork. Why change your name if you don't want people to find you? He was also formerly know as Argusta Bork....I find it quite interesting that he has now changed his name twice. When I was investing in properties with Willis he WAS the landlord. He took the rent money that the renters paid and kept it for himself, letting my loans go unpaid and there fore the houses went into foreclosure. He may have helped some new home buyers get loans but he also took a lot of money from people. If you worked for him you should have know something was not right with this company, especially when the sheriff's office came and forced them out of their place of business for not paying the rent (big surprise there). Willis is currently being investigated so I wouldn't exactly be proud to have worked for him.
Xavier Willis Bork

Eden Prairie, MN

#29 Mar 3, 2010
others: First, my name was change from WILLIS to ARGUSTA when I was 2 years old by my mother. Second, my middle name was DEAN after a father that was never in my life. This is the ONLY reason I changed my name in 2006. I changed my middle name to WILLIS. Lastly, I am not trying to hide from anyone. Anyone can contact me online anytime.

I have contacted the MN Dept of Commerce and the local FBI office ONLY to find that no one is looking to contact me. PLEASE stop with the alleged investigation stories.

The real estate market crash happened for a reason - MILLIONS of people obtained loans from banks that they could never afford (there are other factors that need to be considered when referring to the real estate market crash in the past years). People who obtained these loans need to take responsibility for the choices they made.

When times get hard, it is easy to point the finger to other people, but it doesn't make your allegations true. Spreading lies will never change the choices you have made.
sick of these crooks

Broomfield, CO

#30 Apr 16, 2010
whoever wrote this (tammy)is nothing but a crook like flavin.shame on you for defending people like brandon flavin.
SHAME ON YOU wrote:
If you are a renter - you are a renter. If the mortgage gets paid or not, it is not a renters business - it is the owners business. I know this whole thing is a mess, but a renter does not get guarentees!! It is not their house. Renters keep in mind that your rent payment is not remotely close to covering the mortgage payments on these houses and by not paying your rent you are only hurting the owners more.
Whomever wrote that their are investors whom are receiving rent checks and not paying the mortgage does not know what they are talking about (Justin Bartch from Colorado - who is in a custody battle with one of the investors and only try to make it more messy). Most of these renters never pay or only pay some - they are just looking for a way to scam others (makes you wonder if they are any better than Brandon and company huh?) I think alot of these issues came up becuase it appears to me that most of these renters are just looking for a way to get a "free ride" and they should be ashamed of themselves!! Pay your rent - you owe it. I wish I could just live for free at someone else expense (or not, I couldn't do that to someone). SHAME ON YOU!!!
I feel sorry for everyone involved but these bad renters do not need to act like they have more rights than they do and that someone (like the investors that are already in a bad place) owe them something - they were in these houses cuz their credit was bad for some reason already - take ownership for your own destiny and quit trying to take from someone else... Move out if you are unable to pay.
sick of these crooks

Broomfield, CO

#31 Apr 16, 2010
whoever wrote this (tammy)is a crook just like brandon flavin.shame on you for defending people like him.you cant live a honest life and think the way you do.put yourself in the shoes of the victims of brandon flavin and i bet you would have a different attitude
Tammy Burger

Mankato, MN

#32 Oct 20, 2010
Who are you referring to when you put (tammy) in there? If you have something to say, just say it! No need to slip a first name in there.......might as well say the full name so who ever (tammy) is can defend herself!
others

Minneapolis, MN

#33 Apr 6, 2012
Well, well, well.....It looks like Willis and his Brother both got what they deserved. They are both currently in jail and will be there for some years. Thank goodness justice was finally served!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hoffman Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barrack Obama (Sep '13) Sep '13 Kelvin Uecker 1
Debate: Trayvon Martin - Hoffman, MN (Jun '12) Feb '13 andy-bear 4
Debate: Obama-Economy - Hoffman, MN (Jun '12) Jun '12 Carlos Machado. 1
Debate: Election Poll, June 2012 - Hoffman, MN (Jun '12) Jun '12 carlos 1
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Minnesota ... (Oct '10) Nov '10 DJ 4
News ND police chief, ex-judge charged in sexual abu... (Sep '10) Sep '10 Lizard lick 9
News Nonprofits want $400M from Wells Fargo (Apr '10) Apr '10 BTA 1

Hoffman Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hoffman Mortgages