Reporter's Notebook: Nothing But Trouble

Feb 12, 2008 Full story: City Pages 31

Filed under: Real Estate The story of Brandon Flavin's adventures in real estate is complex and quite unusual. via City Pages

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
worriedsick

Minneapolis, MN

#1 Feb 15, 2008
I'm renting from these people don't know what to do now.
TenantsUnited

United States

#4 Feb 25, 2008
worriedsick wrote:
I'm renting from these people don't know what to do now.
You need to contact a lawyer. I heard there was one in Saint Paul who is handling several cases against UMG.
SHAME ON YOU

Maple Grove, MN

#5 Mar 7, 2008
If you are a renter - you are a renter. If the mortgage gets paid or not, it is not a renters business - it is the owners business. I know this whole thing is a mess, but a renter does not get guarentees!! It is not their house. Renters keep in mind that your rent payment is not remotely close to covering the mortgage payments on these houses and by not paying your rent you are only hurting the owners more.
Whomever wrote that their are investors whom are receiving rent checks and not paying the mortgage does not know what they are talking about (Justin Bartch from Colorado - who is in a custody battle with one of the investors and only try to make it more messy). Most of these renters never pay or only pay some - they are just looking for a way to scam others (makes you wonder if they are any better than Brandon and company huh?) I think alot of these issues came up becuase it appears to me that most of these renters are just looking for a way to get a "free ride" and they should be ashamed of themselves!! Pay your rent - you owe it. I wish I could just live for free at someone else expense (or not, I couldn't do that to someone). SHAME ON YOU!!!
I feel sorry for everyone involved but these bad renters do not need to act like they have more rights than they do and that someone (like the investors that are already in a bad place) owe them something - they were in these houses cuz their credit was bad for some reason already - take ownership for your own destiny and quit trying to take from someone else... Move out if you are unable to pay.
wasoneoftherente rs

Minneapolis, MN

#6 Mar 7, 2008
SHAME ON YOU wrote:
If you are a renter - you are a renter. If the mortgage gets paid or not, it is not a renters business - it is the owners business. I know this whole thing is a mess, but a renter does not get guarentees!! It is not their house. Renters keep in mind that your rent payment is not remotely close to covering the mortgage payments on these houses and by not paying your rent you are only hurting the owners more.
Whomever wrote that their are investors whom are receiving rent checks and not paying the mortgage does not know what they are talking about (Justin Bartch from Colorado - who is in a custody battle with one of the investors and only try to make it more messy). Most of these renters never pay or only pay some - they are just looking for a way to scam others (makes you wonder if they are any better than Brandon and company huh?) I think alot of these issues came up becuase it appears to me that most of these renters are just looking for a way to get a "free ride" and they should be ashamed of themselves!! Pay your rent - you owe it. I wish I could just live for free at someone else expense (or not, I couldn't do that to someone). SHAME ON YOU!!!
I feel sorry for everyone involved but these bad renters do not need to act like they have more rights than they do and that someone (like the investors that are already in a bad place) owe them something - they were in these houses cuz their credit was bad for some reason already - take ownership for your own destiny and quit trying to take from someone else... Move out if you are unable to pay.
Well let's see we were one of the renters payed our rent on time had 18 months left on our lease and guess what we were forced to move do to forecloser by owner, up root our family so don't go preaching about the poor owners some may be trying but others are collecting as much money as they can and letting the house go.
wasoneoftherente rs

Minneapolis, MN

#7 Mar 7, 2008
Just one more thing it is the renters business to know if the owner is holding up to his obligations also. To think that it is none of our business to know if we are going to be evicted during the lease due to foreclosure is just plain ignorant. We have families kids in school if we are forced to move do to foreclosure it could mean moving to another city or kids changing schools etc.. Not all of us that rent houses have credit problems, most don't have enough money saved for a deposit to buy a house and are responsible enough to know that you don't buy a house with nothing down or a variable interest rate.
TenantsUnited

United States

#8 Mar 17, 2008
Shame on people like Brandon Flavin and his jerk friends at United Management Group!

Here's how is little scheme worked:
(1) He provided kickbacks and a continuous supply of work to his network of appraiser buddies to appraise new houses at falsely high values.
(2) Then he falsified loan documents by inputting incorrect higher incomes for the "investors" he recruited so he could get the higher loans.
(3) Then he bought scores of houses at the actual market rate (which was usually $50k-$100k less than the appraised value his buddy appraisers came up with) and pocketed the difference ... again providing kickbacks to the home builders and appraisers.
(4) Then he lured people with low credit ratings to rent the homes on the false promise that they could rent-to-own the properties and use part of their deposits and rent toward down payments.
(5) Then he took in the rents, millions of dollars worth and didn't pay off the mortgages.
(6) Then he bought himself a $750k house and outfitted it with extravagant furnishings, bought a new Cadillac Escalade and outfitted it with high-end audio equipment, bought a $150k yacht and kept it at a nice marina in Stillwater, bought and converted a "party bus" so he and his loser friends could live the high life while his "investors" and renters were getting screwed.
(7) Then he let the properties go into foreclosure, without notifying the "investors" or tenants.
(8) Then when some of the tenants realized what was going on and decided to stop paying the rent, he tried to intimidate them with eviction notices and eviction actions. He also sent his "buddies" around to physically and psychologically intimidate tenants into paying the rent.

It is no wonder the feds and state attorneys are after this guy.

He has completely and thoroughly disrupted the lives of hundreds of people because of his greed and disregard for his "investors" and tenants.

Does he sound like someone you'd continue paying rent to? I don't think so either.
heres a good one

Minneapolis, MN

#9 Apr 1, 2008
Told us the investor skipped out with their money and the house is in foreclosure. He gave us a sob story how they paid the investor and he was suppose to pay the mortgage and he skipped town so they could no longer accept rent on their behalf. Then offered one of his houses for us to rent before our house was in foreclosure made up a new lease that made it look like we were renting the new house the whole time. Said it was all legal but didn't want us to tell anyone because he wouldn't be able to help all his unforunate renters. Now we found out after all this he's not even paying on his own investments. So it looks like we'll be moving again.
Unfortunate renter

Penns Grove, NJ

#10 Apr 1, 2008
I lived in a home from UMG from 2/2007- 3/2008 and continued to pay rent. See let me just say that because we are renters does not mean it is okay to say we should continue to pay and we don't own the homes. Okay so I was on a two yr lease with option to buy part of the deal was 3% of the rent would go to closing. I do not care that the rent being charged was less than the mortgage, the rent was a total of $1350 to include $100 for association dues, which were never paid. I never had an issue with paying rent, but if the homes were foreclosed I felt the CO- UMG should have been honest and gave the tenants the option of moving or continuing to pay the rent thru the redemption instead when called on the foreclosure they lied, they either had nothing to do with it, or there was a problem with the landlord, they continued to say but you need to continue to make the rent payments and if late include a late fee. When I asked can I talk with the landlord directly because I wanted to know if he was going to redeem as I have kids that are comfortable in school, the answer was the landlord would not like for you to contact him directly. The whole thing was a scam from day one and I hope all are charged that participated in these fraud activities.
anotherone

Minneapolis, MN

#11 Apr 2, 2008
Same story but they told us the investor skipped out and they didn't have his phone number anymore. Then told us we could move into another one of their houses that was owned by somebody in the company so we wouldn't have to worry about foreclosure. Then we started getting notices from the mortgage addressed to the person at UMG indicating they were 3mths behind looked into property taxes a year behind, decided to move sent a notice to UMG didn't tell them we new about the past dues, we get a call asking if they cut the rent in half if we would stay because they would hate to lose us as renters. What landlord in their right mind would cut rent in half. Only if they were looking for quick cash, renting a $400,000.00 house for $1000.00 a month doesn't seem right. It just goes to show they have no concern for people just themselves.
dang

Denver, CO

#12 Apr 26, 2008
thanks tammy but i never put anything on here but for all you renters i do feel bad for you. hope all works out and the people in the wrong pay for what they have done and are doing.SHAME ON YOU is tammy boedighmeir also an invester.
Not only bad

Maple Grove, MN

#13 May 3, 2008
The real thing here is that no one intended to have things go this way, the market really took a plung and that is what brought this buisness down into the ground. People are saying that brandon made all this money, but he and the company had a big diffence to cover on all the morgages. There were a lot of investers whos contracts got fulfilled and were happy with all the work that the company put into things. Everything was going good until the market went down the drain and that is something that is out of there control. I know that they would shop around for the best deal and never had anything to do with the apprassles. This would have been a great business that would have taken off and would have worked great for both sides, only if the market wouldnt have crashed. A year ago people would have never thought that the proprety value on homes would have gone down. Realastate was always known to go up in value. I also know that there were some good renters in some of theses houses but 90% of people had trouble paying there rent, and would also trash the houses. The renters dont see that almost all the investers contracts were fullfilled. That is to bad that people just cant take the blame for there own actions and deal with it instead of blamming it on someone else. Like I said at the beginning no one inteded to have this happen, it is only due to the horable market that is upon us.
LOL the feds are not after Brandon, shows how much people research before talking!!
Oh yeah and there was a invester that took off after getting paid on his part so another point that people dont research before talking!!
TenantsUnited

United States

#14 May 4, 2008
"Not only bad" ... aka "Brandon" ... STOP MAKING EXCUSES for YOUR ACTIONS. You personally screwed up hundreds of lives! Don't blame the market, or the investors, or the tenants. Blame yourself. You formed this scam and benefitted from it and now you're going to have to deal with the consequences. And by the way, you won't know the feds or state authorities are after you until they show up at your door one day ... and that won't be too far down the road. Trust me on that, sport. There's a guy from south metro who's now spending a long "vacation" in Stillwater because of the exact same scam you pulled here. I'm sure it won't be long before it's your turn.
findithardtobeli ev

Minneapolis, MN

#15 May 6, 2008
TenantsUnited -- I believe that's where he's from so who else would be defending them. Find it hard to believe 90% of the renters had trouble paying thier rent. They probable trashed the place after they found out it was in Foreclosure. I know one that did because he had just finished the basement and was out all that money. Go to the court page and do search on Brandon or UMG and you will see the number of suits currently filed against them. If a tenant is paying rent on their house then their rent should have been going towards the mortgage not somewhere else.
Updated

Minneapolis, MN

#16 May 12, 2008
TenantsUnited -- I don't think "not only bad" is Brandon I heard he fled the country. It is probable his fiance', I heard she is still around causing problems with tenants that are still around.
Unfortunate

Minneapolis, MN

#17 Jul 14, 2008
He definetly fled the country I've seen pics of him out in South Africa somewhere!
others

Minneapolis, MN

#18 Oct 20, 2008
Anyone heard of a guy named Willis Bork? He has a very similar scam. He says he is from California, stays in the Eden Prairie area. Has a brother and friend who are in on the scam. Their names are Baretta Bork and Nick Smith. Willis put over a million dollars worth of property in my name my credit is ruined and I was forced to file for bankrupcy.
LOOKING FOR YOU

Dublin, OH

#19 Oct 27, 2008
others wrote:
Anyone heard of a guy named Willis Bork? He has a very similar scam. He says he is from California, stays in the Eden Prairie area. Has a brother and friend who are in on the scam. Their names are Baretta Bork and Nick Smith. Willis put over a million dollars worth of property in my name my credit is ruined and I was forced to file for bankrupcy.
Can you find out where he is now?
others

Minneapolis, MN

#20 Oct 27, 2008
No idea where he is or if he is currently scaming people. My guess is he is running scared. Any suggestions????
another bilked

United States

#21 Feb 13, 2009
Yeah, I'd like to know where Xavier (Willis, Billy) Bork is also, so if you can help me out that would be great. I'm in the process of starting to file bankrupcy, what a nightmare!! My credit is ruined, I've lost my home. How do these people live with themselves, knowing they are destroying somebody elses life??
Skeptical

Minneapolis, MN

#22 Apr 13, 2009
How exactly did someone put properties in your name? Did you go to a closing and sign loan documents to purchase these properties?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hoffman Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barrack Obama (Sep '13) Sep '13 Kelvin Uecker 1
Debate: Trayvon Martin - Hoffman, MN (Jun '12) Feb '13 andy-bear 4
Debate: Obama-Economy - Hoffman, MN (Jun '12) Jun '12 Carlos Machado. 1
Debate: Election Poll, June 2012 - Hoffman, MN (Jun '12) Jun '12 carlos 1
Who do you support for U.S. House in Minnesota ... (Oct '10) Nov '10 DJ 4
ND police chief, ex-judge charged in sexual abu... (Sep '10) Sep '10 Lizard lick 9
Nonprofits want $400M from Wells Fargo (Apr '10) Apr '10 BTA 1
Hoffman Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Hoffman People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Hoffman News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Hoffman

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 8:46 am PST