Union City mayor blasts PSE&G's response to Sandy as 'disgraceful'

Nov 2, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Jersey Journal

Sate Sen. Brian Stack said he is "disappointed" in the way PSE&G prepared for and is recovering from Hurricane Sandy, and he pledged to hold hearings to grill the utility's officials about the storm.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 7 of7
Edwin Lopez

Elizabeth, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2012

I live on 14 street on union city I agree with the mayor PS&G should response faster one of the transformers I think it blew up we don't gave lights since Monday Mr Brian should put more pressure on PS&G to do what they need to do.
corporatonnoutil ity

Bryn Mawr, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2012

The problem with most utility COMPANIES is that they are exactly that- a business. These corporations have spent so much time downsizing and outsourcing they don't have the experience or know how to handle situations like this. It me 3 years to get on going problems taken care of by our local utility.

Many power companies don't even have their own lineman anymore. The only thing their 'lineman' do is some pole placements from thins like auto accidents or a mild storm. But they cannot handle mass problems like this or do it quickly.

A good way to document problems with any utility is call in any and all service problems to document repeat problems in your area. If something happens they have a record and you have documentation to go to the state utility regulators.
Pissed off linewife

Cambridge, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 4, 2012

Alright people you need to stop your complaining. You obviously have no idea what restoring power entails. You can not just flip a switch and magically everything works again. The lineman are working their butts of to get everyone turned back on. They are working 16 hour days in hazardous conditions, most are hundreds of miles away from home sleeping in tractor tailors, or their trucks. So give them a break and be thankful for what you do have!
Midwestern Hillbilly

Effingham, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 4, 2012

P-O'd linewife...you have my sympathy, and also my admiration, for I know linemen, and behind ever good lineman is a generally uber-great supportive woman. You have my admiration, and may your lineworker and all others be safe as they do exhausting and dangerous work...

I, too, have been telling it like it is here and there in this Topix location about what utiity workers from across the USA who headed toward the Big Apple are sacrificing to be present to assist.

Ma'am, you sound like you could use a laugh. So perhaps here's one (just for you.) The other day when I first read about the ill-treatment of linemen, I went to a forum I helped a guy out in Rhode Island start up a few years back, and among friends shared my outrage-among-friends. Here was my heat of the moment "antidote" to crass, rude, and uncivil behavior (quote):

"They are ill-treating the utility workers busting ass trying to get power restored. I thought to myself, "Oh send ME some of those Olympic Quality Bitchers!" And I'll load up the RTV (or IF they are bad enough - make 'em hump a bundle of steel dowel size electric fence posts and a bag of plastic insulators, and a roll of barbed wire.) Then tell them to construct an electric fence to be wired into a WeedEater Fencer, plugged into an outlet to give it a charge driven off (mere) 110. And tell them it MUST work...or they are going right back out to walk the fence line, scrutinise things (on par with "assessments" linemen are no doubt doing) and work that fence line until it WORKS.(In my more vicious moments I thought about the fun of taking along a stock whip - would hafta go buy one, actually - or wield a battery operated cattle prod (also have to go buy it, too, as we're kindly to all of our critters) to hasten balky citizens along and convince the complaining malingerers to get with the program..

Then after they got a newly strug electric fence up and running, if they located any insulators too high (or too low) make them adjust the insulators on the steel post WITH the Weed Eater ramped up and going dispensing an electrical charge. Then, IF they get clumsy or careless in the process, a jolting shock makes their legs quiver and go weak and their ticker skips a few beats, point out to those who'd been nasty and cat-calling and lobbing eggs at the the linemen in their stricken area that the professional restoration crewers are with wires as big as a man's wrist and power charge one misstep could turn said worker into a Krispy Critter to send home to his family halfway across the USA in a body bag/coffin, a nationwide force of workers from uneffected areas heading to the East Coast to help pull their chestnuts from the fire, working 18 hour days for however long it takes. A little gratitude might be nice....

Hopefully, Ma'am your lineman can come home real soon, and there'll be changed attitudes and linemens greeted, treated, and respected like THE HEROES THAT THEY ARE.

More power to the linemen/families as they restore power to the people!
Upset

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2012

Yea right I'm thankful for what PSE&G is doing! It's November 9 & I am still without power. I know it's not the little man's fault but the heads of this pitiful company have no clue on how to dispatch their workers. I had enough of this & I wish that I could pick a different power company. This is the USA not some 3rd world country. This company is a disgrace. All the top dogs should be fired for their incompetency in handling the situation.
chernet

Pikeville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2012

AEP from Kentucky tried to go into New Jersey and they were told they could not, because they were not Union, so they went from Pikeville, Kentucky into Morgantown, West Virginia. We are trying to help all of you. During times of disaster like this, unions need to stop this nonsense and let people help people!!! I grew up in Newark & Irvington in the 50 & 60's - I know the area well.Someone needs to get to Governor Christie and get him to stop this union nonsense for now.

Our hearts are with you!
common sense

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Are u guys stupid????? There were millions of ppl without power. Ur shithole town should be last anyway!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 7 of7
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••

Hoboken News Video

•••
•••

Hoboken Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Hoboken People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••