Inbreeding in the jewish comunities

Inbreeding in the jewish comunities

Posted in the Hoboken Forum

pasmada

United States

#1 Jun 9, 2012

I just read an article from the "Jewish Scientific " Library that approachs the subject.
Does anybody out there has any theories to share on that?
How prevalent was was that?
Why did the certain groups within the Jewish community practiced inbreeding more than others.
What was the concept behind?

Please be respectful and thruthful .

Thanks
decibelplaces

Union City, NJ

#2 Jun 9, 2012
Thousands of years of persecution and genocide have made many Jewish communities insular, trusting only people they know - this is particularly true of the more traditional European Chassidic communities, who keep the traditions in clothes and hair, so they are easily identified by outsiders and their own kind. It's not unknown for someone to join one of these communities, but it's rare. So mostly they marry within the community for the sake of trust and safety. I think the Chassidic communities in our area, with ties to Borough Park in Brooklyn, has enough variety in its genetics to prevent "inbreeding" if that is what concerns you. Other Jewish communities in our area have dwindled over the last 50 or 60 years, but there is a trend of younger Jewish professionals moving to Hudson County recently, you can find out more at http://hudsonjewish.org
Love 4 all

Charleston, SC

#3 Jun 13, 2012
I find the whole topic disturbing, whether true or not. What about other islands of humanity such as the Amish? I doubt there is a story here.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hoboken Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What happened to good customer service?! - Cugi... Jun 20 nwebster 1
Review: H & S Travel & Tours (Aug '15) Jun 6 Dennis Olson 51
News DUI arrest is second for Hudson County s... (Mar '09) May 31 Jerzeegrl 8
ManCure Men's Nail Shop May 31 ManCure 1
Tearing down of St. Michaels Grammar School (Mar '06) May 30 Maria Hello Everyone 22
T R U M P can save the USA May '16 winston molineri 3
News Hoboken man charged in brutal early morning sex... (Jul '12) Apr '16 Anthony Scarpuzzi 4
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hoboken Mortgages