Teen beaten to death with bat in Hobe Sound park -- South Flori...

There are 53 comments on the SouthFlorida.com story from Aug 6, 2007, titled Teen beaten to death with bat in Hobe Sound park -- South Flori.... In it, SouthFlorida.com reports that:

Deputies responding to a large fight near Date Street about 2 a.m. found Dewayne Bernard Mitchell III, of the 9000 block of Southeast Hobe Ridge Avenue, badly injured, according to Martin County Sheriff's ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at SouthFlorida.com.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
ree

Ocklawaha, FL

#1 Aug 6, 2007
abc

“"Man Bites Dog"”

Since: Dec 06

The Moon & Other Planets

#3 Aug 6, 2007
Normally the moral of this story would be don't bring a bat to a gun fight. As that is not funny how about we don't have gun fights any more? Just a thought.

Think about it kids? Dead at 16?
SAY

United States

#4 Aug 6, 2007
what a horrible way to die!
and what in the world could a kid at the age of 16 have done to deserve a beating like that?....
that's horrible!
too bad cops didn't get there sooner!
my heart goes out to his family.
where are the parents

United States

#5 Aug 6, 2007
What the hell is a 16yr old doing out at 2:00am in the morning. where the hell are these kids parents? why are any of these kids out and not being watched. I think a mandatory 365 day a year curfew needs to be inplace for anyone under the age of 18 and it needs to be inforced with not only the kid being picked up if he or she is out but the parents need to be picked up as well. if these loser parents got their ass thrown in jail because their kids out at 2:00am perhaps they would do their DAMN JOB and parent these kids. Take some damn responsibility for your community and your family.
Incognito

Philadelphia, PA

#6 Aug 6, 2007
This is horrible! For a person to be able to beat someone to death, is to me; more violent and a greater threat to society than even those using fire arms. Why you may ask? Any coward can pull a trigger and kill someone, but to use your hands to strike someone over and over while their blood splatters all over you and hearing to sounds of the impact, seeing the other person without defense and the precious life flowing from them and yet for lack of or having no desire to control themselves they can focus that rage upon someone is the ultimate mark of a true killer!! They will kill again if they are not stopped!!!!

“"Man Bites Dog"”

The Moon & Other Planets

#8 Aug 6, 2007
where are the parents wrote:
What the hell is a 16yr old doing out at 2:00am in the morning. where the hell are these kids parents? why are any of these kids out and not being watched. I think a mandatory 365 day a year curfew needs to be inplace for anyone under the age of 18 and it needs to be inforced with not only the kid being picked up if he or she is out but the parents need to be picked up as well. if these loser parents got their ass thrown in jail because their kids out at 2:00am perhaps they would do their DAMN JOB and parent these kids. Take some damn responsibility for your community and your family.
You are definitely new here! Welcome to South Florida!
PhantomNine

Boca Raton, FL

#9 Aug 6, 2007
I agree with "Incognito" the person will kill again. It's time to end the circle of violance. We must work as a community to insure that those individulas stealing our future are taken off the street.
NONSENSE

Miami, FL

#10 Aug 6, 2007
to eyes wide open i'm not new here and you say that same ole comment all the time say something different PLEASE or get off the forum
Miss Prim

Miami, FL

#11 Aug 6, 2007
When I was growning up there was a curfew, which kept kids from getting into trouble on the streets. Instead that got into trouble elsewhere.

“Liberals = Hippies”

Ashiharacho, Japan

#12 Aug 6, 2007
Great I love the headline: Teen beaten to death with bat...
Thwn later in the article: "but the Medical Examiner has not yet released how Mitchell died."
which is it

Pompano Beach, FL

#13 Aug 6, 2007
they dont' know if he was shot or beaten to death but the headline says beaten to death. er, uh, get it together people...
woody hayes

San Antonio, TX

#15 Aug 6, 2007
Maybe it was a group of homeless guys getting revenge on the teenager. Payback's a bit@h.
Joker

United States

#18 Aug 6, 2007
The parents of the dead teen should be charged with reckless endangerment and an accessory to murder for allowing him to be out at 2:00 AM, thus contributing to his bad behavior which ultimately got him killed. I don't care if school is out or not, that is inexcusible.

I feel sorry that the family has to go through pain and suffering, but kids these days need to be PARENTED! The crime amongst teens is so outrageous in South Florida and all over the United States that I am almost to the point where I am ashamed to live in this country anymore, let alone Southern Florida.
Mike

United States

#19 Aug 6, 2007
He's 16 and was out at 2am. Great job Mom and Dad! But probably just Mom, Dad's already in the pen. When you're looking for trouble, it's bound to find you. He's not getting much sympathy from me, but maybe that's because I've been in South Florida to long.
smartass

United States

#20 Aug 6, 2007
where are the parents wrote:
Uh, I'm sleeping at 2 am. Kids sneak out, duh! We're not allowed to chain them to their beds, or even lock them in their rooms.

Since: Apr 07

South Florida

#21 Aug 6, 2007
Well, I don't know too many whites or Hispanics named Dewayne, so I'm guessing he his black. I don't know too many black kids who have a father at home, so I'm guessing the is the usual black hoodlum with no homelife, and either a 2 shift hard-working mother who can't keep up, or a drug addled waste on handouts. Either way, it amounts to the same thing - black men need to get their collective heads out of their collective asses.
nohow

United States

#22 Aug 6, 2007
Eyes Wide Shut wrote:
<quoted text>
You're right I am gone this week and you get to take credit for it. By the way, eat glass and defecate blood. Did I say that?
Hey, don't listen to nonsense. I enjoy your posts!
Mother Nature

AOL

#23 Aug 6, 2007
too soon dead, too late smart
Josie

West Palm Beach, FL

#24 Aug 6, 2007
What a horrible way to die. He must have been so scared....I hope God will take care of him now.
Sadbutstatistica llytrue

Hialeah, FL

#25 Aug 6, 2007
Any kid named Dewayne Bernard Mitchell III, or anything like that is statistically 70% more likely to die a violent death.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hobe Sound Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Violent Predator Stalks Homeless in Stuart, Flo... (Jun '13) Wed michael 14
Severe Child Torture Policy in Florida. (Jul '09) Wed whitehouseboys 63
home away from home child care needs investigated (Feb '10) May 15 Shante Samuels 44
Organized Criminal-Gang Stalking in Florida (Jan '11) May 9 Jacques 148
Dr. Kristin M Tolbert, A Fraud. May 9 Jacques 2
Shooting Cartoonists May 8 Heaven Angel 2
9-11 Sic semper tyrannis. May 8 Heaven Angel 1
More from around the web

Hobe Sound People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]