Hungry caterpillar soldier in bio-war...

Hungry caterpillar soldier in bio-warfare

There are 4 comments on the WTSP Tampa Bay story from Mar 3, 2008, titled Hungry caterpillar soldier in bio-warfare. In it, WTSP Tampa Bay reports that:

Hobe Sound, Florida A popular children's book features a very hungry caterpillar and now scientists are hoping that a real-life caterpillar is also very hungry.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WTSP Tampa Bay.

dreamer

Bradenton, FL

#1 Mar 4, 2008
I honestly haven't red every publication about this subject,but if memory serves me correctly. this has been an issue for awhile. if using catepillars will be useful in controling this problem,so be it. please keep in mind that things don't always turn out the way we intend for them to turn out. what will happen to the caterpillar, if after 10 years of them feeding on these ferns,then they become over- populated. what will people want to do then? eliminate the caterpillar!!!
TwoCents

Tampa, FL

#2 Mar 5, 2008
Has there been research into the effects of the high volume caterpillar population? Please don't give us another "LoveBug" catastrophy.
TwoCents

Tampa, FL

#3 Mar 5, 2008
I feel for this gentleman with Tourette's - I just watched a segment on Discovery Health this week - there is now a device that can control the impulses and give patients freedom from the disease. I think Wal-Mart should pay for this treatment because they discriminated against him and he is covered under the ADA. I have a friend who suffers with arm jerks every minute or two. I would love to see him get this device - these folks are so brave; having to function in a judgmental society with this physical impairment.
Pat Schmidt

Bradenton, FL

#4 Mar 5, 2008
On the surface the idea of using insects to get vegetation
under control sounds feasible.
But know you are bringing in
moths that have no natural preditor. We didn't learn any
thing from love bugs. At least they are small and seasonal.They say
they don't eat much else- that may have been true in China- we
don't know what they will eat here.
CAUTION, PLEASE!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hobe Sound Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Homelessness Apr 17 sammy 5
Jupiter Inlet Colony Music Thread (Oct '16) Apr 10 Musikologist 3
Severe Child Torture Policy in Florida. (Jul '09) Apr 8 Job 82
Looking for House in Florida - Jupiter, Tequest... Apr 4 BeachhouseHunter 1
News Martin cat lovers howl over leash law (Jul '06) Mar 31 lisaandres 135
LAHIA enabling criminals to victimize you. (Feb '14) Mar 28 Rentfree 47
News Florida governor signs bill allowing permanent ... Mar 24 Reduciolus 1

Hobe Sound Jobs

Personal Finance

Hobe Sound Mortgages