Developers pull plans for New Mexico ghost town

Full story: CBS News

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. &#8212 The company behind plans to build a scientific ghost town says it is pulling out of a deal to develop the make-believe city near Hobbs.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of86
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Yay te hay

Winnemucca, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2012

Judged:

I thought the Holy Khost was in Afghanistan....fleeing Hellman
Yay te hay

Winnemucca, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2012

Judged:

Is this a Sophia project to remember the Alamode...
Yay te hay

Winnemucca, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2012

Where is Horseshoe bend?
Yay te hay

Winnemucca, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2012

Or why the Treaty of Indian Springs?
Yay te hay

Winnemucca, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2012

And Sam Houston mingeled with the Cherokee....

“<3”

Since: Jun 10

Black Rock City, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2012

This actually sounds like a fun project.
lolol

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2012

guess they couldn't find enough ghosts to live there

“<3”

Black Rock City, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2012

Judged:

LOL! Probably someone pocketed some cashola. Isn't that always the way. Some money shows up and suddenly someone gets dirty and greedy. Too bad, it sounds like fun.

Since: Oct 08

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2012

Judged:

Lets see how long it takes for the our Progressive Mayor and City Council to screw this up again...
Economic development not in this Mayors or City
Council vocabulary. All they do is mess things
up, raise taxes and fees and in general make things
worse.

I give them less than two weeks before the project moves somewhere else.
ndg

Las Cruces, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2012

Judged:

AGGIES08 wrote:
Lets see how long it takes for the our Progressive Mayor and City Council to screw this up again...
Economic development not in this Mayors or City
Council vocabulary. All they do is mess things
up, raise taxes and fees and in general make things
worse.
I give them less than two weeks before the project moves somewhere else.
What are the chances that someone who wanted the deal here pulled a few strings to defeat the plan from proceeding in Hobbs? Tricky city, tricky politicians, sneaky southwest. There are lots of lizards here.

Since: Dec 10

Albuquerque

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2012

Judged:

A ghost town abandoned before it's even built. Very efficient!
told

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2012

Judged:

you so.

A scam from the get-go.

“US Navy”

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2012

Judged:

I wonder what the issues are than caused them to throw in the towel for the town near Hobbs?

- maybe they wanted free land,
- or some major incentives the state wouldn't give,
- or maybe the private owners became too hard to deal with,
- maybe its all a smoke screen because they don't have enough money to fund their project

At least taxpayers are not on the hook for a change. I don't see where they've rejected the basic idea nor that NM is totally out of the running should it go forth. I think its a great idea but for a private venture, NOT a public one. Time will tell...
Elsie YesSir

Las Cruces, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2012

Yay te hay wrote:
Where is Horseshoe bend?
At the curvy end of the horseshoe.

Since: Dec 10

Albuquerque

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2012

Judged:

CornDogz wrote:
I wonder what the issues are than caused them to throw in the towel for the town near Hobbs?
- maybe its all a smoke screen because they don't have enough money to fund their project
At least taxpayers are not on the hook for a change. I don't see where they've rejected the basic idea nor that NM is totally out of the running should it go forth. I think its a great idea but for a private venture, NOT a public one. Time will tell...
I hope we get to find out. I suspect you're right on one or more counts.

The whole thing sounded very weird to begin with.

“<3”

Black Rock City, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2012

CornDogz wrote:
A-ha!

“US Navy”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2012

Judged:

walterfm wrote:
<quoted text>
I hope we get to find out. I suspect you're right on one or more counts.
The whole thing sounded very weird to begin with.
On the surface it does, but I can see some really good potential there -IF- they did their homework first and lined up prospective clients. I'm not the least bit interested in seeing public monies expended towards this though, unless its with claw-backs, an up front bond to cover any investments taxpayers ~might~ make. Leasing them some land that has no other real use might be worthwhile, but again as long as it has no environmental clean-up issues etc etc etc.

Whatever occurred here is more than meets the eye for sure. One doesn't pull the plug on a project this large w/o some serious catastrophe having occurred.
JDHouse

Hobbs, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2012

Judged:

The whole thing is a scam. Read the Santa Fe New Mexican article. 2 of their three "offices" are just mail box drops. Richardson told them to get lost a few years back. Brumley is the ONLY employee. Brumley's last adventure went bankrupt. It goes on and on how sleazy this thing is. My bet is that Hobbs pushed them to show the cash. Even if it does get started they will force whoever the poor suckers that let them come to their town into big cash giveaways and costs. Then it will also go bankrupt and leave that city stuck with a huge mess to clean up. The Hobbs paper said that Pegasus and Brumley never even notified the city or county of a problem and Brumley refuses to return calls. They got out of town late on a Friday so that they could escape over the weekend. This is just pure sleaze! I feel sorry for the next town that falls for this bs.

“US Navy”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 17, 2012

Judged:

JDHouse wrote:
The whole thing is a scam. Read the Santa Fe New Mexican article. 2 of their three "offices" are just mail box drops. Richardson told them to get lost a few years back. Brumley is the ONLY employee. Brumley's last adventure went bankrupt. It goes on and on how sleazy this thing is. My bet is that Hobbs pushed them to show the cash. Even if it does get started they will force whoever the poor suckers that let them come to their town into big cash giveaways and costs. Then it will also go bankrupt and leave that city stuck with a huge mess to clean up. The Hobbs paper said that Pegasus and Brumley never even notified the city or county of a problem and Brumley refuses to return calls. They got out of town late on a Friday so that they could escape over the weekend. This is just pure sleaze! I feel sorry for the next town that falls for this bs.
Since it doesn't involve public monies, who cares? The fact that the Santa Fe New Mexican wrote about it lessens their articles credibility by around 80%. Those people are looney tunes. Must be the fluoride in the SF water<G>!
JDHouse

Hobbs, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 17, 2012

Judged:

CornDogz wrote:
<quoted text>
Since it doesn't involve public monies, who cares? The fact that the Santa Fe New Mexican wrote about it lessens their articles credibility by around 80%. Those people are looney tunes. Must be the fluoride in the SF water<G>!
Well, that is another one of the big lies that was told. We now know that Pegasus was going to build the bare bones infrastructure at a cost of between 200-400 million and was relying on other entities to build the remainder of the one billion dollar quote. So, they were expecting much, if not most, if not all of that money to come from grants from such things as colleges (many of which would be public) to build facilities and then a host of federal institutions (Los Alamos, Sandia, etc) were also expected to drop tons of cash on the boondoogle. ALL of this would be at taxpayer expense. Hate to be the one to slap a little too much honest mustard on your corndog.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of86
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Hobbs Discussions

Search the Hobbs Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Say it in six words (Jul '08) Jul 18 Forum 8,435
LCCF Geo Group Correctional Facility Corruption (Dec '13) Jul 12 izzyright 3
Carlsbad animal shelter euthanizes half of its ... Jul 12 Che 43
Chris Hood Jul 1 OLD Friend 1
Review: Cherryberry Jun 30 Alexandria 1
Carrizozo swears in a new chief of police - Rui... (Nov '08) Jun 24 Angelique 1,623
Farmington on list of fastest shrinking cities Jun '14 the truth 18
•••
•••
•••
•••

Hobbs Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Hobbs People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE