Shooting claims life of man in Hobbs

Shooting claims life of man in Hobbs

There are 69 comments on the KOB.com Eyewitness News 4 - New Mexico story from Jan 19, 2009, titled Shooting claims life of man in Hobbs. In it, KOB.com Eyewitness News 4 - New Mexico reports that:

Hobbs police say a construction worker from Mississippi was shot to death at a dance hall in the southeastern New Mexico community.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KOB.com Eyewitness News 4 - New Mexico.

NoWinners

Hobbs, NM

#46 Sep 19, 2009
There are no winners in this situation. Only heartache and sadness. I feel badly for both families. No matter how good or bad, right or wrong a person may be, they still have family that loves them. Both sides have suffered losses. Yes, one forever. The other not too terribly different, but yes, different. It still breaks my heart either way because life will never be the same for both families.
Me again

Hobbs, NM

#47 Sep 19, 2009
I say we blame it on racsim and Carl mackey.. Since there is no post about the recent carl mackey racism allegations on here i will start one here. It is obvious that the police department has had issues in the past upholding justice because of carl mackey and his racist views. It is a shame that he is even allowed to speak, let alone have a say in our city council. He should contact kanye West and exchange diiferent ideas on how they can blame the white man for there hardships. If this was 60 years ago it would be one thing, but in todays world they have it pretty darn good.
HHS Alumnus

Hobbs, NM

#48 Sep 20, 2009
I truly believe Carl Mackey tells it the way he thinks it is. In other words, I don't think Carl is making racist allegations just to make them. He believes in his heart what he says is correct.

As far as Carl being allowed to speak, he has the same right to just as you and I do. After all, he has elected as City Commissioner by his district.

No, I don't agree with what Carl often says, but thank God we still live in a country where we all can exercise our right to free speech. Well, we all still can for now anyway.

Quite honestly, I often find Carl's allegations quite entertaining.
HHS Alumnus

Hobbs, NM

#49 Sep 20, 2009
Simply wrote:
someone told me that real gangsters will shoot each other in private not in front of other people like in front of schools or whatever. wannabes they do this in front of others hopin someone will stop them.
When I first read the above posting, I thought it read:

"Someone told me that real gangsters will shoot each other in the PRIVATES...."

LOL, sounds like a pretty good policy/rule to me!
Me Again

Hobbs, NM

#52 Sep 21, 2009
yeah but Carl pulls the race card EVERY time. It gets very old. You are probably right, he probably does pull this stuff from the heart and thinks that he is right. But so did hittler, arian nation (not sure if i spelled that right), KKK and all the other white and black power groups out there. Just because you think something is right in your heart doesnt make you a good person. Your also right in the fact that he was elected by the people in his district, But He does have the duty to serve all of hobbs districts, and I think that he gives most of the people in hobbs a bad taste in there mouth for him.
thats right

Hobbs, NM

#53 Sep 21, 2009
Carl Mackey is a wanna be al sharptan.
HHS Alumnus

Hobbs, NM

#54 Sep 22, 2009
Me Again wrote:
yeah but Carl pulls the race card EVERY time. It gets very old. You are probably right, he probably does pull this stuff from the heart and thinks that he is right. But so did hittler, arian nation (not sure if i spelled that right), KKK and all the other white and black power groups out there. Just because you think something is right in your heart doesnt make you a good person. Your also right in the fact that he was elected by the people in his district, But He does have the duty to serve all of hobbs districts, and I think that he gives most of the people in hobbs a bad taste in there mouth for him.
I can't disagree with a single thing you said. It will be interesting to see if Carl runs for re-election and whether he will be re-elected. I strongly believe the former. I tend to believe the latter as well because Carl is no different today than when he was campaigning for election and as we know, of course, the district in which he ran, he was elected.
To the person who posted that Carl is a wannabe Al Sharpton, I don't think he is trying to be like Sharpton, but rather, he and Sharpton happen to think the same. I say this because I believe Carl had the views he believes in way before Sharpton made it to the national scene.
Shame on him

Hobbs, NM

#55 Sep 23, 2009
it is a shame the school system had to give into this guy. If I was a parent that has a child in one of the schools that is replaying the speech i would keep them home from school that day. And as for the girl talking about treason in the paper. Obama is not a king and should not be treated like one. If she believes this, than she would have probably been hung when ever Bush was Pres. because chances are if you voted and support Obama than you probably didnt support bush, and if the pres. is a king than in your little mind you commited treason. So do us all the favor.....
kick him out

Hobbs, NM

#56 Sep 28, 2009
I say kick him off the commision.
HHS Alumnus

Hobbs, NM

#57 Sep 28, 2009
kick him out wrote:
I say kick him off the commision.
What has he done that would warrant being kicked off the commission? Exercising his right to free speech? I don't necessarily agree with many of the things Carl Mackey does, but he does know how to voice his opinion on many matters...more than many care to hear. But, I would like to hear on what grounds Carl should be booted off the City Commission. He hasn't done anything illegal that I know of. His being very vocal, I don't believe, is a legit reason.
not surprised

Hobbs, NM

#58 Oct 11, 2009
kick him out wrote:
I say kick him off the commision.
It's a shame when people like you make comments about stuff you read in the newspaper and run with it as if it's really true. First of all no one called the school officials racists. The editor had no business putting that in there... it simply wasnt true. They did that of course to make a story and get people to buy their dry newspaper, because they have been down on sales. Carl Mackey did what he was supposed to do.. which is stand up for the people who believe in him. I was at that meeting and the discussion was about WHY the teachers and the adminstration made that decision instead of leaving that decision up to the parents and kids. As for someone who have teenage children at hobbs high, they should have had that decision NOT their teachers. The way it was handled is what the complaint was about. And Carl had every right to question that. Every parent had a right too. You'd be suprised how many kids wanted to see that speech (mykids watched it online). Everyone acts like Obama was going to speak about politics.. but it was a wonderful speech that all children would have benefited from. Our drop out rates are horrid. Also, Carl was making a point that never in the history of Presidents and their speechs, no other president had to be censored the way Obama was. Hmmm, I wonder why that is? Yes there is racism in this town just like every town in america. People need to quit ignoring that fact and deal with or this world will never change.(blacks and whites) When people are called a racist, their comeback is always..'WHY PLAY THE RACE CARD". and the reason why people say that is because they do not want to look at tehmselves and change for the better. Leave Carl Mackey alone because I for one respect him for standing up for what he believes in.
Haleys Comment

Hobbs, NM

#59 Oct 12, 2009
I understand there was yet ANOTHER shooting in Hobbs that resulted in a death Sunday morning. Heard one of the victims was a Brian Alexander but he suffered only wounds...not death. I believe his name was mentioned in the Aubrey Savage trial as one of the people who flashed guns at a couple of the Mississippi men visiting the Elks Club/Forrest's Place last January which resulted in the very sad and uncalled for death of Ron DeLoach. Heard the deceased this time was someone named Granville. Haven't heard who the shooter is. What a shame. There seems to be no respect for life amongst some of these people.
More

Hobbs, NM

#60 Oct 12, 2009
Hey not surprised. Is it possible that people think the president is an idiot because of his failed policies and not the color of his skin? I am sick and tired of the "race card" being played all the time. I no longer give a crap about what people like you say about race. Call me a racist, it no longer means anything. If you fail, you fail because of you, not because of some white person. If you succeed you succeed because of you, not some white person. It is no different for Obama. Get over it, you were never a slave and I never owned one.

Carl has a right, just like everyone, to have his say. I have a right to say he is wrong. It has nothing to do with the color of his skin or the color of my skin.

Kids are not dropping out of school because they didn't get to hear Obama and would not stay in school if they heard Obama's speech. They drop out of school because of the failure of the parents to raise good kids. It is not the fault of the school and believing that does not make me a racist. Now you want to say that because I say I am sick of the race card being played, that is proof that I am a racist. You are ignorant if you believe that but, as I said, I don't give one crap about it anymore. Find another name to call us because most of the white people I know feel the same as I do. YOU are the one that is racist.

And for the record, I never watched a president's speech while at school. The speech was an underhanded and sneaky way to reach our kids with a message that has no business in our school system.
Shame on Him

Hobbs, NM

#61 Oct 12, 2009
Bravo More,
"Not Supprised" can stick up for Carl mackey all she/he wants. I do belive its people like Carl who have caused the word RACIST to loose its meaning. I am not a racist, and I can not stand Carl Mackey, Because of the way i feel about him and because I believe he uses the race card,I am now considered racist? I say B.S. and for the record, that word has no ill effect on me anymore because I know who I am and I am not Racist. I do however believe Carl Mackey is racist against white people. I also believe he loves the spot light. I think he does want to be just like Al Sharptan.
Tattoo schooled

Salem, OR

#62 Oct 24, 2009
Cowby Me wrote:
<quoted text> I have come down to Hobbs and worked undercover arresting the dumb **** who wanttabe gangsters but are to stupid to tell I am a cop, real gangsters know the diffrence, but Hobbs wantabes are just to stupid on METH to know the diffrence of a typical junkie and a cop working their dumb ****.
THAT IS THE FUNNIEST SHIT i HAVE HEARD IN LONG TIME. Awsome... lol
I agree, was only there for a minute and could see it was lame. Good criminals are smart.. calculating, don't need to earn STRIPES or go to prison to prove to someone they are umm yeah, what is it your lackin and need someone to say about you? Tough? down? loved? lol good criminals don't make it to prison they let the lames tryin to make a name do that
Pot stirrin fool

Salem, OR

#63 Oct 24, 2009
I love the gang life and feel like I belong to something.... I hope one day my son will grow up and rob and kill our neihbors like we see daily in lives today. My parents and everyone I know agree that i should shoot people that talk pottie mouth to me cuz it shows everyone i am not a man if I let him live.... All my friends and family will agree that really I am a good person and the person that kills me for the choices I make is a bad man and should die too. We should teach this in school.
Just curious about all the lames that are DOWN for this???? hit me up and lets here what you stand for? blind leading blind
Ken Bones

Hobbs, NM

#64 Mar 20, 2010
You are the one that allowed the corrupt cop to stay on the force, after he was caught stealing while on duty. You are the one that set the department back 10 years because you were totally inept. You are the one that lost national accreditation. I guess being the chief of police of goats at the Wisconsin State Fair police really didn't prepare you for a real police chief's job. You were also the one that got fired for being such a poor chief. You were the one they threw out of town. I really don't recall any other chief's being fired from HPD beside your sorry ass. The sad part of the story is that you are to stupid to realize that you were the worst chief in the department's history. "copper" as you call him had a very nice career and retired after 20 years, you on the other hand went running to the ACLU when you got fired. No crawl back into your little snake hole in Texas and leave us alone you loser.
Not Ken Bohn

United States

#65 Mar 20, 2010
Ken Bones wrote:
You are the one that allowed the corrupt cop to stay on the force, after he was caught stealing while on duty. You are the one that set the department back 10 years because you were totally inept. You are the one that lost national accreditation. I guess being the chief of police of goats at the Wisconsin State Fair police really didn't prepare you for a real police chief's job. You were also the one that got fired for being such a poor chief. You were the one they threw out of town. I really don't recall any other chief's being fired from HPD beside your sorry ass. The sad part of the story is that you are to stupid to realize that you were the worst chief in the department's history. "copper" as you call him had a very nice career and retired after 20 years, you on the other hand went running to the ACLU when you got fired. No crawl back into your little snake hole in Texas and leave us alone you loser.
Chris, Ronnie or Donnie? I'm putting my money on Donnie. Did you retire, or were you forced out as well?
hobbs local

Carlsbad, NM

#66 Mar 24, 2010
to the comment from f.kanye iwas with him the night the girl got shot in the back , and it was not him, im not trying to stick up for him but , that shooting i know was not him and that was not his ex girlfriend, or a girlfriend at all. i am a witness to that, and yeah he ahs been in a lot of trouble , but that 1 was not true!
the dude corn

Rio Rancho, NM

#67 Oct 20, 2010
please get out of here im shock that you know how to spell!! This what make me sick about dumb people. Don"t know what they talking about and do you think Mr. Mackey cares what you think NO!!! and nobody else cares what you think as well. So if your that smart tell it to his face instead of words.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hobbs Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Say it in six words (Jul '08) 2 hr So_da_lish_us 10,559
News Convicted stalker running for Pearce's seat as ... 12 hr Laura 9
Tell it to me straight 14 hr Mary 32
Probation and Parole of LEA COUNTY (Sep '08) Jan 18 Herd 75
Guidance Center of Lea County shut down Jan 17 Devin 4
Guidance Center of Lea County Jan 2 Homie 12
The new pelican Restraunant in eunice Dec 26 Robert cook 4

Hobbs Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hobbs Mortgages