Lea County deputy arrested in child s...

Lea County deputy arrested in child sex investigation (4:27 p.m.)

There are 5584 comments on the Las Cruces Sun-News story from Sep 1, 2010, titled Lea County deputy arrested in child sex investigation (4:27 p.m.). In it, Las Cruces Sun-News reports that:

State police say a Lea County sheriff's deputy has been arrested in an investigation involving sex crimes against two children.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Las Cruces Sun-News.

Here We Go AGAIN

Lovington, NM

#5195 May 23, 2012
Blah, blah, BLAH!

It was so peaceful and interesting. Now it's back to the family bickering bull shit. I'll check back when it gets interesting and informative again.

The whole family needs counseling. How many times a day do you check this forum anyway? It eats at you doesn't it? All day and all night...poor souls.
smack

Lovington, NM

#5196 May 24, 2012
Can you imagine what would happen if someone like Nancy Grace got a hold of this story? I think this right up her alley because of all the corruption, the crazy grandma in denial, the good cop gone bad, dirty attorney, the mistrial, etc.

Since: Apr 12

Renton, WA

#5197 May 24, 2012
smack wrote:
Can you imagine what would happen if someone like Nancy Grace got a hold of this story? I think this right up her alley because of all the corruption, the crazy grandma in denial, the good cop gone bad, dirty attorney, the mistrial, etc.
Ha ha, that would be funny!

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#5198 May 24, 2012
smack wrote:
I emailed Nancy two days ago. I sent Vincent and Tanya a copy of my letter to her. I think Nancy would jump on this case if more people would email her with their concerns about this case and the way it has been handled. You can email her here:

http://www.cnn.com/feedback/forms/form5.html...

This is what I wrote her:

My cousin, Danny Surratt, has been molesting young girls since the 1960's. I am 53 and believe myself to be his first victim. He has been a police officer since the 1970's in New Mexico. In 2010 he was arrested for molesting his step granddaughters. His trial was in April 2012 and he was found guilty on one count, the jury hung on another. Last week his conviction was voided because of a technicality. There is evidence of many more girls he has molested, and also a retired Police Chief that worked with Danny Surratt in the 1970's has come forward and told the DA and NMSP investigators that 5 different girls had reported to him that Danny had molested them. This PO went to his superior, then to the Chief of Police, then to the DA with this information and nothing was done. None of the local media outlets are interested in this case and I don't understand why. I, as well as many others, believe that Danny Surratt's crimes have been covered up by people in the law enforcement and judicial system. The granddaughter's family, and I, and others want this brought to the public's attention in hopes of other victims coming forward and warning parents to keep their children away from Mr. Surratt while he is out on bail until his next trial. We also want a different prosecution team since there were many mistakes made by the current one. I have much more information and implore you to help us. We don't know where to turn next. I contacted the Attorney General of NM today and was told that the DA is an elected official and they do not investigate them or have authority over them. Please, Nancy, please, help us.

http://www.oaoa.com/articles/felony-52303-deg...
Thank you.
Brenda Surratt Nyberg

Location hidden

#5199 May 24, 2012
Here We Go AGAIN wrote:
Blah, blah, BLAH!
It was so peaceful and interesting. Now it's back to the family bickering bull shit. I'll check back when it gets interesting and informative again.
The whole family needs counseling. How many times a day do you check this forum anyway? It eats at you doesn't it? All day and all night...poor souls.
I can't speak for anyone else, but yes, you're correct this case, the knowledge that Danny has been molesting children and young women for all these years, the knowledge that even LE and a former DA knew about it yet did nothing, and the knowledge that adults, some of them these two girl's own family members, know the truth but continue to defend him, eats at me.

It has become a priority in my life to do everything I am capable of to try to make sure he never has the opportunity to molest another child, or destroy another family.

We've all witnessed, and/or been a part of the destruction and pain him molesting two young girls has caused. 3 families have been destroyed, 3 adult children have lost their mother and extended family due to Danny's choices. 3 families have been fractured, possibly for life.

Can you imagine how many others are out there whose lives he has changed forever?

He has to be stopped.
Here We Go AGAIN

Ruidoso, NM

#5200 May 24, 2012
SimplySue wrote:
<quoted text>
Can you imagine how many others are out there whose lives he has changed forever?
He has to be stopped.
I completely agree with your interest in protecting the victims. I'm just frustrated with the family trying to STILL convince each other of his innocence or guilt and the blame they are trying to instill as a reason to his actions.

It's gotten to be very 'redneck trash' and Maury Povich, which is an unbearable show to watch. I feel everyone knows the end result and the blindness of the supporters remains baffling.
Baba-louie

Addison, IL

#5202 May 29, 2012
This is a good idea. I followed the link and wrote her. Even though she is an x-prosecutor and could be considered a part of their exclusive club, one thing she will fight for over and above any loyalty with her fellow judicial comrades, and that is the abuse of children. And once she sinks her teeth into a story she is a pain in the ass that will not go away
SimplySue wrote:
<quoted text>
I emailed Nancy two days ago. I sent Vincent and Tanya a copy of my letter to her. I think Nancy would jump on this case if more people would email her with their concerns about this case and the way it has been handled. You can email her here:
http://www.cnn.com/feedback/forms/form5.html...
This is what I wrote her:
My cousin, Danny Surratt, has been molesting young girls since the 1960's. I am 53 and believe myself to be his first victim. He has been a police officer since the 1970's in New Mexico. In 2010 he was arrested for molesting his step granddaughters. His trial was in April 2012 and he was found guilty on one count, the jury hung on another. Last week his conviction was voided because of a technicality. There is evidence of many more girls he has molested, and also a retired Police Chief that worked with Danny Surratt in the 1970's has come forward and told the DA and NMSP investigators that 5 different girls had reported to him that Danny had molested them. This PO went to his superior, then to the Chief of Police, then to the DA with this information and nothing was done. None of the local media outlets are interested in this case and I don't understand why. I, as well as many others, believe that Danny Surratt's crimes have been covered up by people in the law enforcement and judicial system. The granddaughter's family, and I, and others want this brought to the public's attention in hopes of other victims coming forward and warning parents to keep their children away from Mr. Surratt while he is out on bail until his next trial. We also want a different prosecution team since there were many mistakes made by the current one. I have much more information and implore you to help us. We don't know where to turn next. I contacted the Attorney General of NM today and was told that the DA is an elected official and they do not investigate them or have authority over them. Please, Nancy, please, help us.
http://www.oaoa.com/articles/felony-52303-deg...
Thank you.
Brenda Surratt Nyberg
smack

Lovington, NM

#5203 May 30, 2012
Baba-louie wrote:
This is a good idea. I followed the link and wrote her. Even though she is an x-prosecutor and could be considered a part of their exclusive club, one thing she will fight for over and above any loyalty with her fellow judicial comrades, and that is the abuse of children. And once she sinks her teeth into a story she is a pain in the ass that will not go away
<quoted text>
I agree. I dont think that the Casey Anthony case would have gotten as huge as it did if she had not been reporting on it.

Location hidden

#5204 May 30, 2012
@Baba-louie, That is one of the reasons that I emailed Nancy. I know she is an advocate for child abuse of any kind, and like you said, when she gets involved she digs and digs and isn't afraid to expose the truth.

And that is all I really want. For the complete truth to come out.

@Smack, I don't think the Anthony case would have become a world wide phenomenon without Nancy's coverage of it either.

Location hidden

#5206 Jun 1, 2012
http://www.nmcourts.gov/caselookup/

Went to the court site today to see if there was

any more motions filed or new activity on this

case. While looking at Danny's prior court cases I

noticed that Judge Bell was the Judge in the

Assault and Battery case against Danny and the

other party.

CASE NUMBER CURRENT JUDGE FILING DATE

COURT
D-506-CV-200800008 Bell, Steven L.

01/03/2008 LOVINGTON DISTRICT

Another interesting fact in the above case, is that

Barry Crutchfield represented the plaintiff against

Danny Surratt.

The last thing I found interesting while perusing

this Assault and Battery case is the outcome of it.

08/05/2010 CLS: STIPULATED DISMISSAL

STIPULATION OF DISMISSAL WITH PREJUDICE /

BELL
lpn

Clovis, NM

#5207 Jun 4, 2012
So whats you point. Do you think you are some kind of master mind, well I think you just are looking for attention. So sad this is the only way you can get it.
jkl

Lovington, NM

#5208 Jun 5, 2012
lpn wrote:
So whats you point. Do you think you are some kind of master mind, well I think you just are looking for attention. So sad this is the only way you can get it.
Maybe you need attention. So LOOKS like Danny Boy and his old granny skipped town.

Maple Valley, WA

#5209 Jun 5, 2012
jkl wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe you need attention. So LOOKS like Danny Boy and his old granny skipped town.
If you don't mind, how can you confirm this, and where did they go?
Fact

United States

#5210 Jun 5, 2012
TheTruth15 wrote:
<quoted text>
If you don't mind, how can you confirm this, and where did they go?
How is it your business to know where they went, if they went anywhere ?
Sal

United States

#5211 Jun 5, 2012
smack wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. I dont think that the Casey Anthony case would have gotten as huge as it did if she had not been reporting on it.
What was the outcome on the Anthony case?6

Maple Valley, WA

#5212 Jun 5, 2012
Fact wrote:
<quoted text>
First off, the question wasn't directed to you, and it is my business if he is out on bail, and has left Lea county. I'm sure there are stipulations to his bail. So there is your answer.
jkl

Lovington, NM

#5213 Jun 5, 2012
Their house is all locked up and vacant looking. Has been.
George

Hobbs, NM

#5214 Jun 5, 2012
Sal wrote:
<quoted text>
What was the outcome on the Anthony case?6
The difference was he is going back to trail.
George

Hobbs, NM

#5215 Jun 5, 2012
Fact wrote:
<quoted text>
I wonder if he has report to the courts that he lift town? They can revoke his bail if he has not.
George

Hobbs, NM

#5216 Jun 5, 2012
jkl wrote:
Their house is all locked up and vacant looking. Has been.
I heard Bryan Chavez moved into? How sad I remember how much Tanya helped him out.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hobbs Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
McDonald paving and chipseal in trouble (Mar '11) Jan 14 Mzruth 91
News Say it in six words (Jul '08) Jan 14 Spider 8,875
del norte gym Jan 7 bbwolf 1
News NM man wanted for Texas murders (Jun '12) Dec 31 Danielle_Sosa_ 42
Carl's Jr. Coming to Hobbs (Jan '16) Dec 23 Donna 8
Hobbs DMV Dec '16 Willie Granville 4
Hobbs Police Department (Nov '08) Nov '16 oilfield HAND 9

Hobbs Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance